Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Josh Bailey extends with the Islanders (6 years, $5M AAV)

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
its still isnt a good way to handle negotiations with your star players, do that with Kreider Chytil Anderssen and Skjei, when the time comes and youll see what I mean, Todays athletes want to feel a participatory style of Management where their thoughts and needs are considered, not to feel pushed or prodded in a direction, even if its a direction they are already leaning.

Maybe prod wasn't the word I should have used.

But to get an answer from him? I don't see how that's a bad strategy. It puts the ball in his court. The fans can't say, we didn't try or anything like that, because they did.

just look at Giancarlo Stanton for an example the more the Marlins tried to direct him the more intransigent he became eventually the marlins had to do what Stanton Wanted

Apples to Oranges, Stanton didn't even want to get dealt. He came out and said that. They dealt him because they had to and he wasn't even the first one dealt. When Dee Gordon was dealt, that's when he knew the writing was on the wall. That franchise was left in almost insurmountable debt because of what Loria did to them. The Marlins had their backs against the wall from day one. Plus, Stanton wanted to go to a contender, the Giants were in the same situation as the Marlins. Would have had to have given up all of their top prospects to pull that deal off. The Cardinals weren't a legit contender, even with Stanton. They still had a ton of holes to fill. Then the Dodgers were never in on him and never had serious talks with the Marlins, leaving Stanton with one team to be traded to... the Yankees.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Maybe prod wasn't the word I should have used.

But to get an answer from him? I don't see how that's a bad strategy. It puts the ball in his court. The fans can't say, we didn't try or anything like that, because they did.

Apples to Oranges, Stanton didn't even want to get dealt. He came out and said that. They dealt him because they had to and he wasn't even the first one dealt. When Dee Gordon was dealt, that's when he knew the writing was on the wall. That franchise was left in almost insurmountable debt because of what Loria did to them. The Marlins had their backs against the wall from day one. Plus, Stanton wanted to go to a contender, the Giants were in the same situation as the Marlins. Would have had to have given up all of their top prospects to pull that deal off. The Cardinals weren't a legit contender, even with Stanton. They still had a ton of holes to fill. Then the Dodgers were never in on him and never had serious talks with the Marlins, leaving Stanton with one team to be traded to... the Yankees.

how is that any different than Tavares Saying I want to be an Islander ? which hes said over and over again over several years? the only difference is fans of opposing teams dont WANT TO TAKE HIM AT HIS WORD.

All Tavares has ever said is I want to be an Islander that sure sounds like I dont want to be traded to me.

youre just reaching for straws to support your predisposed conclusion. and that is directly related to your being a ranger fan

your motivations wouldnt be the same if this was a ranger player, thats all Im saying... look at your core motivations and youll see im right. youd make allowances for a ranger player that you never would for an Islander. and you wouldnt even realize you were doing it.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
how is that any different than Tavares Saying I want to be an Islander ? which hes said over and over again over several years? the only difference is fans of opposing teams dont WANT TO TAKE HIM AT HIS WORD.

Because we've had that conversation with several different players in the past. The only one that's really stayed is Stamkos.

Kovalchuk left. Marleau said he wanted to stay, ended up in Toronto.

A players word means nothing if they don't sign a deal. Tavares can speak all he wants, but if he wants to stay, then sign. How is it that BAILEY can get signed before Tavares, yet all you hear from Tavares is I don't want to leave?

If that doesn't concern you, you've got your head in the sand.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
I feel like he couldve gotten 6.5-7 on the open market. Is that out of line to think that?
No way lol. Like I said, he's had ONE >50 point year and ONE >40 point year before this year. If he produced like he did last year I don't think NYI would've even resigned him. Not that he's bad but he's been a pretty meh/replaceable player minus this one year.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Because we've had that conversation with several different players in the past. The only one that's really stayed is Stamkos.

Kovalchuk left. Marleau said he wanted to stay, ended up in Toronto.

A players word means nothing if they don't sign a deal. Tavares can speak all he wants, but if he wants to stay, then sign. How is it that BAILEY can get signed before Tavares, yet all you hear from Tavares is I don't want to leave?

If that doesn't concern you, you've got your head in the sand.

it doesnt concern me because theres nothing i nor anyone else can do about that, not me, not you, and not Garth Snow, the only one who truly knows whats in John Tavares head is John Tavares. and everything else you say is idle speculation, that is 100% colored by your fanhood. it has absolutely no basis in reality. not one Iota,

those are the facts

John Tavares has said the same exact things since BEFORE he became an Islander. before he even was a hockey player

since he was 9-10 years old in fact. why should not believe him? because YOU say so?

you've already admitted you dont want him to remain an Islander

everything you say is colored by that bias

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
it doesnt concern me because theres nothing i nor anyone else can do about that, not me, not you, and not Garth Snow, the only one who truly knows whats inJohn Tavares head is John Tavares. and everything else you say is idle speculation, that is 100% colored by your fanhood. i has absolutely no basis in reality. not one Iota,

those are the facts

Ok, so by that same logic, everything you say is speculation because we don't know what's actually going on behind the scenes until it happens.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

John Tavares has said the same exact things since BEFORE he became an Islander. before he even was a hockey player

since he was 9-10 years old in fact. why should not believe him? because YOU say so?

So he's said he wanted to be an Islander before he was even a hockey player?

Now, you're reaching.

you've already admitted you dont want him to remain an Islander

everything you say is colored by that bias

No, I'm taking everything at face value until he re-signs. I don't know what he's thinking.

What I want to know is how one of the 5 most important players in the history of that franchise still hasn't signed and they managed to lockup a sidekick before hand? I could see cap implications, but you just throw 5 million of that cap right out the window unless he re-signs.

All you're doing is taking my "bias" and throwing shade at it because you don't want to hear about any other view other than yours, which is fine by me, but don't tell me that I haven't considered everything. I have and I'm still asking the questions. You think you have the answers because you're taking his word as the word of god himself when he hasn't followed through on said words yet.

I'm taking the wait and see approach, just like all of the Devils fans lambasted everyone else for with Kovalchuk and were proven wrong.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Bailey has strong fundamental skills but it has always been inconsistency and to certain extent lack of confidence holding him back from the level of play he has shown this year. He can handle the puck and passes extremely well. I think that the inconsistency in the past was due to his lack of drive, physical plays, and focus and of course with added NHL experience and coming into a UFA contract year, he has prepared himself for that position. He is also older with shorter window to win that he has assume a leadership role in trying to help the team get there.

This contract seems fair. Not underpaid because his skating and scoring ability is actually just average. His defensive awareness and play making skills however in itself can justify his contract. The only thing that if I have any concern with his confidence may somehow diminish again and durability issue as he has missed games before and now is getting older.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Ok, so by that same logic, everything you say is speculation because we don't know what's actually going on behind the scenes until it happens.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

So he's said he wanted to be an Islander before he was even a hockey player?

Now, you're reaching.

no youre reaching, Im not reaching at all, John tavares said that being a stickboy with his uncles MLL indoor lacrosse team that what impressed him most was that his uncle remained on one team for his entire career. he said that before he even started playing in juniors that that became his motivation to be like his uncle. he said his uncle never strived for the spotlight n fact he shied away from it, John said that it left a mark on him.

nothing John has ever done has been contrary to that, being named the youngest captain in Islander history, paying for young Islanders to join him in offseason training camps he hosts, so you see my belief is based not on your biased wishes, but on the things John Tavares has actually said and done.

could I end up wrong? sure. but based on everything John has said and done I have no reason to doubt him. so I wont. Garth Snow who drafted him, named him captain, and who says he is all he could have wished for as a player, says pretty much the same, says he wont trade him

so why should either of us believe YOU someone who says he wants him to leave?

Last edited:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
These are the types of deals winners make. I always laugh whenever GMs throw 7-8M at fringe 50-60 point forwards on Free Agency day.

Reactions: SI90

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
These are the types of deals winners make. I always laugh whenever GMs throw 7-8M at fringe 50-60 point forwards on Free Agency day.

Me too and I don't think it was a terrible deal, they could have done worse. Trust me, I've been on that side of it before so I know what it's like to see my team throw stupid money at players that will never really be worth those figures.

However, I just think that the timing is off and that they could have used this as an avenue to get Tavares to re-sign first by showing that they're serious about building a winner.

Just my opinion.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
What I'm saying is that Josh Bailey will not be anywhere close to the player he is now without Tavares. Islander fans wanted him gone for YEARS before he started playing with Tavares last year because he was at that point, a gigantic bust taken in the top-10 of a pretty deep first round in which other superstar players were available to take at the time he was taken.

All I'm doing is presenting an approach that could have been taken to try to prod Tavares into signing. I'm speaking as objectively as I can when I say this, but if I'm an Islander fan, I would not want to be paying Josh Bailey $5 million a year if John Tavares is not around. The approach I'm talking about is securing both and if you can't get JT to sign, let Bailey go. He isn't going to be worth what he's getting paid if Tavares isn't around.

What does the past have to do with the present?
Josh has turned things around and on the open market Bailey would be offered more than $5 million per. Just look at Mats Zuccarello's contract as a comparable deal? How much you think Kreiders going to ask for or Zibby?
Do you think Nash is worth his salary?
Did anyone truly think Eric Staal would again become a point a game player?
The contracts that Andrew Ladd and Boychuk signed are questionable. Nobody knows for sure how good Bailey will be with or without JT in the future.
And Bailey isn't a product of Tavares but makes him a better player. Bailey is a good compliment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 72hockey guy

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
What does the past have to do with the present?

In what context or what are you addressing? I'm really not sure of where you're going.

Josh has turned things around and on the open market Bailey would be offered more than $5 million per. Just look at Mats Zuccarello's contract as a comparable deal? How much you think Kreiders going to ask for or Zibby?

If you're trying to tell me that Bailey has been as good as those players without Tavares, you're crazy.

Do you think Nash is worth his salary?

What does Nash have to do with Bailey? I hope you're not trying to make comparisons, because it's a bad example to pick.

Did anyone truly think Eric Staal would again become a point a game player?

Ok, now you're just going way off the board. Let's get back to the topic at hand. Eric Staal and anything about his career holds zero relevance in this conversation.

The contracts that Andrew Ladd and Boychuk signed are questionable.

So why add another? You're further proving my point.

And Bailey isn't a product of Tavares but makes him a better player. Bailey is a good compliment.

He is a product of Tavares. Just as Parenteau, Moulson and Okposo were. None of them were major players before Tavares and in Moulson and Parenteau's cases, they've been just about irrelevant since leaving JT's side.

Bailey never scored like this before Tavares and would have never put up these numbers without him. That's why Islander fans wanted him gone for years. Now all of a sudden the tables have turned in a familiar situation that every outsider has seen before.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
In what context or what are you addressing? I'm really not sure of where you're going.

If you're trying to tell me that Bailey has been as good as those players without Tavares, you're crazy.

What does Nash have to do with Bailey? I hope you're not trying to make comparisons, because it's a bad example to pick.

Ok, now you're just going way off the board. Let's get back to the topic at hand. Eric Staal and anything about his career holds zero relevance in this conversation.

So why add another? You're further proving my point.

He is a product of Tavares. Just as Parenteau, Moulson and Okposo were. None of them were major players before Tavares and in Moulson and Parenteau's cases, they've been just about irrelevant since leaving JT's side.

Bailey never scored like this before Tavares and would have never put up these numbers without him. That's why Islander fans wanted him gone for years. Now all of a sudden the tables have turned in a familiar situation that every outsider has seen before.
In reality all those players I mentioned have less points than Bailey.
You haven't watched him play much at all this year because he has been very good. Zuccarello and Bailey are playmakers first similar in style.
Zibby makes $6million this year
Kreider makes $5 million
Bailey is easily worth the contract he signed for.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You haven't watched him play much at all this year because he has been very good. Zuccarello and Bailey are playmakers first similar in style.
Kreider makes $5 million

Are you serious???

Bailey hasn't scored like this outside of playing with Tavares. That's the only reason he's scoring the way he is. I have watched him play. He's not doing what he does without playing with Tavares.

All of the other players you mentioned didn't need to play with a superstar to have the SEASONS (keyword) that they had. I can't believe you're even attempting to argue this right now.

Zibanejad's AAV isn't $6 million and Kreider's isn't $5 million.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Kreider makes $5 million

dont worry chris, the guy has proved hes a troll

all ranger players are worth their ontracts and all Islanders are over paid

the fact that Rick Nash has scored exactly 4 more points in 6 years as a ranger, than Bailey has in that time span is lost on him as is the fact that Nash has been paid 25M more than Bailey. only the rangers Would pay 25m for 4 points. and by the time the season is over Im sure Bailey will have outscored Nash entire career as a ranger

and nash played first line minutes and #1 power play the whole time

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Are you serious???

Bailey hasn't scored like this outside of playing with Tavares. That's the only reason he's scoring the way he is. I have watched him play. He's not doing what he does without playing with Tavares.

All of the other players you mentioned didn't need to play with a superstar to have the SEASONS (keyword) that they had. I can't believe you're even attempting to argue this right now.

Zibanejad's AAV isn't $6 million and Kreider's isn't $5 million.

I mean, we've never seen what Kreider can accomplish without Lundqvist in net. The entire of Kreider's career, he's has an elite goaltender backing him up. Since we've never seen what Kreider can do without Lundqvist, we have to assume Kreider will be absolutely terrible playing for any other team, has zero trade value, and isn't worth his contract. Come to think of it, this applies to McDonagh as well. Zuccarello too.

Every Ranger gets much worse without Lundqvist in net. I have watched the Rangers play and they need a superstar goalie for pretty much any of their other players to be effective.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I mean, we've never seen what Kreider can accomplish without Lundqvist in net. The entire of Kreider's career, he's has an elite goaltender backing him up. Since we've never seen what Kreider can do without Lundqvist, we have to assume Kreider will be absolutely terrible playing for any other team, has zero trade value, and isn't worth his contract. Come to think of it, this applies to McDonagh as well. Zuccarello too.

Every Ranger gets much worse without Lundqvist in net. I have watched the Rangers play and they need a superstar goalie for pretty much any of their other players to be effective.

Bailey has been just as good as rick nash at 25 million less, over Nash entire ranger career. and by seasons end will have likely outscored him. hes a troll

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Yeah, because a scoring winger's play is directly correlated with the goaltender's play.

Get lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad