Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Josh Bailey extends with the Islanders (6 years, $5M AAV)

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
On HFboards, it’s also known as the “Tavares Effect! :sarcasm:
Aint That The Truth. Its one of the givens around these parts along with the assumption that Mike Milbury still works here, and " we've got to make this trade NOW" Some things are as regular as a daily sunrise.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Bailey has proven to be a top 6 player with or without tavares. So if he regresses to being a 50 pt player that's still not overpaid. He's on pace for like 88 pts. How can you cheap out on that?!

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
What I find interesting is how people slammed the Islanders for letting Nielsen go, and here we have a
player who is similar in many ways, younger and signed for less money.... and they're still getting flak for it somehow.

They would be getting flak if they let him go too, don't worry.

Reactions: Pure

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This again is such ******ed logic.

Bailey puts up more points with Tavares because JT is a top 10 player, because of the ice time and opportunity.

No **** his numbers are better with JT. But he's able to produce highly in those roles, so why wouldn't you pay him? He's not a product of Tavares the same way Okposo, Moulson, Parenteau were. The fact Okposo is in there is hilarious. I can't even get into playing styles, situations etc it's ****ing annoying. Like it's annoying you don't know the difference and just group them together when I've seen the rotation of players that have been on JT's wing for like 8 years and who's brought what.

It's incredibly underrated how much Bailey has helped Tavares opposed to how overrated it is that Tavares has helped Bailey.

No **** again he hasn't put up the numbers without Tavares. You need to stop using that as a negative. It's a matter of talent and ice time. Bailey puts up 36 points with Rolston and Comeau on the third line, he's put up 60 points with JT and has been rewarded. That's how it works. He also has done the things he has without Tavares, just wasn't consistent and that's why he was a whipping boy for Isles fans. Now he's consistent because Lee and JT are better linemates than he's ever had. He also was a beast with Frans and Okposo but no one cares. That line along with our PP and insane goaltending form Nabby got us in the playoffs in the lockout 2012-13 season. You've watched him play, tell me about that line.

Yeah, that kind of logic always annoyed me. Of course a player will score more if he's played with the top player on the team, and -- just as importantly but often overlooked -- gets top line minutes, including on the PP compared to if he's playing on the third line getting no PP time.

What do people expect? A player to score 60 points no matter if he's getting 19 minutes a night on the top line and top PP unit minutes or getting 14 minutes a night on the third line with zero PP minutes?

"He's only a good player if he can produce just as much, but with way worse linemates and way less cushy ice time!"

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Kind of fallen off a cliff the last month, 3 points since the middle of February.

Good thing he didn’t get the 6.5 -7million per that some people thought.

The whole first line has struggled. Lee and Tavares were on pace for 50 goals and Tavares was on pace for 100pts by the mid season point. The second half has been brutle.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Good thing he didn’t get the 6.5 -7million per that some people thought.

The whole first line has struggled. Lee and Tavares were on pace for 50 goals and Tavares was on pace for 100pts by the mid season point. The second half has been brutle.

Maybe, they're trying to have Bailey as insurance for Tavares leaving the team after this season.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Just dropping by to point out the fact that Milan Lucic earns more money than Josh Bailey. You guys owe us for the Barzal+33 for Reinhart and Eberle for Strome trades. How about Lucic for Bailey to balance those out? :)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Kind of fallen off a cliff the last month, 3 points since the middle of February.

“Since Dec. 1, they are 15-23-8 for 38 points, tied for 29th in the league in that span. Since Jan. 1, they are 10-15-6, those 26 points tied for 27th in the league in that span.” via The Athletic

The whole team has been bad for a while and continues to get worse. Singling out Bailey doesn’t really apply here.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Just dropping by to point out the fact that Milan Lucic earns more money than Josh Bailey. You guys owe us for the Barzal+33 for Reinhart and Eberle for Strome trades. How about Lucic for Bailey to balance those out? :)

where does this crap come from? You OWE US....

none other than Wayne Gretzky himself says the Oilers learned how to win a cup by watching The Islanders. I assume that the GREAT ONE knows what he's talking about, so you got 5 cups so unless youre sending McDavid over, you still OWE US bigtime.....

I always respected Wayne for that, and I never begrudged the Oilers greatness because Wayne did that. its the sign of a True Champion

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lol I would not even be in favor of an Andrew Badd er Ladd , for Lucic swap.

And he is my least favorite isles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad