Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Josh Bailey extends with the Islanders (6 years, $5M AAV)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I know it's a bit crazy given the year he's been having, but I'd be trying to sell high on him rather than locking him up. I don't think he's going to suddenly be a consistent point-scorer year to year. Josh Bailey isn't going to be the factor that convinces JT to stay.

Agreed here. The cap hit isn't too high, but Josh Bailey is having a freak year and likely isn't ever going to come close to this again. Could capitalize on him now.

Bulls9220

Feb 6, 2010
New York
Bailey was worth this money BEFORE this year. He is 17th in points among all right wingers since 2012. He is an average 1st line right winger and has been for years. How much does your average 1st line right winger make nowadays????
Hockey Reference says hes 44th.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I know it's a bit crazy given the year he's been having, but I'd be trying to sell high on him rather than locking him up. I don't think he's going to suddenly be a consistent point-scorer year to year. Josh Bailey isn't going to be the factor that convinces JT to stay.

He won't be THE factor. But he is a HUGE factor.

New arena, linemate is re-signed, emergence of Barzal = all GOOD factors to get JT re-signed.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Sam is fine. He's come back on. Griffin is not an elite skater. That one will keep him from being a player worthy of #4.

More times than not, you don't even have to be as good the dad was. Plenty more that do than not, that do well.

I mean, Griffin isn't even a decent skater, nor was he at the time of the draft. Nothing about his game impressed me enough for Snow to draft him 4th overall, but at least that problem is off our hands...

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Sam is fine. He's come back on. Griffin is not an elite skater. That one will keep him from being a player worthy of #4.

More times than not, you don't even have to be as good the dad was. Plenty more that do than not, that do well.
you do know the back story on that right? about them in pee wee and going forward of each of them telling coaches that their dad was a players and didnt need to listen to anybody...

supposedly dad, paul scolded them but I think the attitude issues they've each had says their attitudes stink

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
that one is easy they all think they know better than anyone else, plus theres this crazy thing where they think their dad knows more than any coach

lavar_ball_trump.jpg

Reactions: LordNeverLose

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

yeah years ago before Max was drafted, the Hockey news ran a story about the family business, and the reinhart boys. after it came out there were a slew of stories out of west vancouver from former teammates former coaches about how entitled they all acted and it was as funny as hell

typical kids stuff like my dad is in the NHL why should I listen to you stuff

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Damn good contract which will set them up nicely if Tavares stays. If he doesn't then he still has Barzal to ride shotgun to.

Not a fan of the Isles at all, but it's a pretty fair contract that could be a great one.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I like this deal for NYI. Cap is going up this season and he's a player who really wants to be on LI. The salary is the going rate.

Reactions: Dipietro39

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
In what way is letting Bailey and Tavares both leave for nothing better than keeping Bailey?

That’s 2/3 of the first line walking out the door.

If Bailey is literally half the player he is today for this contract, it’ll be entirely fair.

What I'm saying is that Josh Bailey will not be anywhere close to the player he is now without Tavares. Islander fans wanted him gone for YEARS before he started playing with Tavares last year because he was at that point, a gigantic bust taken in the top-10 of a pretty deep first round in which other superstar players were available to take at the time he was taken.

All I'm doing is presenting an approach that could have been taken to try to prod Tavares into signing. I'm speaking as objectively as I can when I say this, but if I'm an Islander fan, I would not want to be paying Josh Bailey $5 million a year if John Tavares is not around. The approach I'm talking about is securing both and if you can't get JT to sign, let Bailey go. He isn't going to be worth what he's getting paid if Tavares isn't around.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
What I'm saying is that Josh Bailey will not be anywhere close to the player he is now without Tavares. Islander fans wanted him gone for YEARS before he started playing with Tavares last year because he was at that point, a gigantic bust taken in the top-10 of a pretty deep first round in which other superstar players were available to take at the time he was taken.

All I'm doing is presenting an approach that could have been taken to try to prod Tavares into signing. I'm speaking as objectively as I can when I say this, but if I'm an Islander fan, I would not want to be paying Josh Bailey $5 million a year if John Tavares is not around. The approach I'm talking about is securing both and if you can't get JT to sign, let Bailey go. He isn't going to be worth what he's getting paid if Tavares isn't around.

your ultimate goal is showing

your approach pushes Tavares out the god damn door which i suspect is your ultimate goal

you dont "prod" your franchise player, at least not one youd like to keep

Reactions: Dipietro39

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

I hear what you are saying, but Bailey isn't just a product of JT. He was playing really well with Okposo and Nielsen for a period.

I also think he would play well with Barzal if JT walks.

Bailey also kills penalties and is pretty good defensively.

And yes, this move was made NOW in part to get JT to stay. Worth it IMO. Worst case he plays with Barzal. Isles have to move on if JT walks.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
Before this year he had >50 points ONCE and >40 points ONCE (not including the 50+ point season). Honestly this deal might look pretty bad, really quickly. Before this year, he was essentially Gagner.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
your ultimate goal is showing

your approach pushes Tavares out the god damn door which i suspect is your ultimate goal

you dont prod your franchise player

No, even as a Ranger fan, that's definitely not the goal of my scenario.

The goal is to show Tavares that you're committing by asking him to sign so you can go out and make other moves around him and then strike fast and early.

If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
No, even as a Ranger fan, that's definitely not the goal of my scenario.

The goal is to show Tavares that you're committing by asking him to sign so you can go out and make other moves around him and then strike fast and early.

If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

bullspit, if you dont think Tavares didnt know about this BEFORE it happened youre as looney as bill chadwick was before he died

ill be so happy when JT re-signs, not only to have him as an Islander for the long term, but to see all these supposed well wishers, who are praying Tavares leaves, have to accept they arent getting him or that the Isles arent falling apart

multi millionaire players arent oxen you used a cattle prod on, you try to prod them on anything, when they dont want to be proded , its screw you, other teams dollars are just as good as yours

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
bullspit, if you dont think Tavares didnt know about this BEFORE it happened youre as looney as bill chadwick was before he died

ill be so happy when JT re-signs, not only to have him as an Islander for the long term, but to see all these supposed well wishers, who are praying Tavares leaves, have to accept they arent getting him or that the Isles arent falling apart

multi millionaire players arent oxen you used a cattle prod on, you try to prod them on anything, when they dont want to be proded , its screw you, other teams dollars are just as good as yours

I'm not wishing anyone well, I'm presenting a scenario in which it could help. You don't have to agree, that's fine by me. It's just an angle that I would have went at with instead of waiting for he 13th hour and possibly getting burned and being stuck with a contract that I wouldn't have given if I knew Tavares was leaving.

I hope he leaves, but don't accuse me of "fake wishing well" for the Islanders. I'm not by any means. I'm just giving my take and calling how I would have approached it.

Edit: Yeah, other teams money is just as good as the Islanders, but losing suitors that would help drive up your market is never a good thing. The basic principle of supply and demand tells you this. So don't think for a minute that Tavares would go say "screw the Islanders" just because they wanted an answer from him to help plan for their future whether it be with or without him.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I hear what you are saying, but Bailey isn't just a product of JT. He was playing really well with Okposo and Nielsen for a period.

I also think he would play well with Barzal if JT walks.

Bailey also kills penalties and is pretty good defensively.

And yes, this move was made NOW in part to get JT to stay. Worth it IMO. Worst case he plays with Barzal. Isles have to move on if JT walks.

Those are all fair points, even though I don't think much of Bailey's defensive game.

My only concern would be how Barzal will do without Tavares and having to take on top defensive pairings and checking units for 20 minutes a game each night instead of a second or 3rd pairing.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
5mil looks fine.

Didn't allow the career year to influence it too much.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It shouldn't necessarily matter to a guy who will expect to get about 10mil per year over the next 10 years or so, but for the same reasons that millennials are fleeing LI: it is crowded, expensive, the continuing demise of the LIRR's reliability, etc.

LI might not be right for him, nobody knows. His life, I don't blame him for exploring his options... :dunno:

The millenials fleeing LI are the ones who can't afford to live there. Not an issue for Tavares. Neither is the demise of the LIRR.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not wishing anyone well, I'm presenting a scenario in which it could help. You don't have to agree, that's fine by me. It's just an angle that I would have went at with instead of waiting for he 13th hour and possibly getting burned and being stuck with a contract that I wouldn't have given if I knew Tavares was leaving.

I hope he leaves, but don't accuse me of "fake wishing well" for the Islanders. I'm not by any means. I'm just giving my take and calling how I would have approached it.

Edit: Yeah, other teams money is just as good as the Islanders, but losing suitors that would help drive up your market is never a good thing. The basic principle of supply and demand tells you this. So don't think for a minute that Tavares would go say "screw the Islanders" just because they wanted an answer from him to help plan for their future whether it be with or without him.
its still isnt a good way to handle negotiations with your star players, do that with Kreider Chytil Anderssen and Skjei, when the time comes and youll see what I mean, Todays athletes want to feel a participatory style of Management where their thoughts and needs are considered, not to feel pushed or prodded in a direction, even if its a direction they are already leaning.

just look at Giancarlo Stanton for an example the more the Marlins tried to direct him the more intransigent he became eventually the marlins had to do what Stanton Wanted

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad