Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] F Bo Horvat signs extension with the Islanders (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’d say some islanders fans would and some wouldn’t. But almost all Vancouver fans would do this trade again for sure. Beauvillier seemed to fit way better on the Canucks than Horvat did with the Islanders. Plus, getting a first and a decent prospect was what Vancouver wanted. And Horvat can be a for sure 1 or 2 C on the islanders and but in Vancouver he was behind Pettersson and Miller too. 8.5 x 8 is too much for a 3C and Horvat isn’t really a guy who should play 3C kind of role. He’s more offensive than defensive.

Reactions: SI90

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What other team offers Horvat this contract?
On the radio out here in Vancouver the talk was the final offer the Canucks made to Bo was 7 x 7. So he ended up with close to 20 million more with the islanders. As a UFA it’s hard to think any club (especially after how Bo played with the islanders) more than the final Canucks’ offer.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We'll see how this turns out. I remember when Brock Nelson signed his current contract there was a thread with posts like this laughing at the deal. Now he's an incredible bargain. Yeah, Horvat's $8.5M is a lot for a 60-65 point player on the one hand. But we're talking about a 6' 215lb Center with intangibles (some posters here root for teams that could really use a guy like Horvat, BTW :laugh:). Was 8x $9.5M excessive for Mark Stone when he was signed at the same age? Not a dynamic player, maybe a point per game guy with some size and intangibles, and a winger not a C. He turned out okay.

A senior citizen assisted living center for those 30+
Let's not go OT. Leave the NYR out of this.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
We'll see how this turns out. I remember when Brock Nelson signed his current contract there was a thread with posts like this laughing at the deal. Now he's an incredible bargain. Yeah, Horvat's $8.5M is a lot for a 60-65 point player on the one hand. But we're talking about a 6' 215lb Center with intangibles (some posters here root for teams that could really use a guy like Horvat, BTW :laugh:). Was 8x $9.5M excessive for Mark Stone when he was signed at the same age? Not a dynamic player, maybe a point per game guy with some size and intangibles, and a winger not a C. He turned out okay.

Let's not go OT. Leave the NYR out of this.
We’re comparing Horvat to Mark Stone now?

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Not only did Horvat have 68M reasons why, but he's closer to home and being a millionaire in Long Island is a nice place to be. Lots of opportunity for his kids to go in any direction they want there, and Horvat will have earned over $100M by the time he hangs them up. Playing on bad teams year after year in Vancouver will force you to look outside of hockey for fulfillment in life, it is just self preservation.
The craziest part is Bo going from an awful team to Lou who has lost his mind and built a mid-team that will have so many bad contracts. While Vancouver may finally be turning the page

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sorokin is the factor here

Just a goalie is not going to get you past Carolina/Devils especially and Rangers can answer back with Shesterkin.

NYI roster at best is average looking with a bottom tier prospect pool.

I fail to see why they would challenge any of the top teams in the East now or the most promising rebuilding teams in the future

Not only did Horvat have 68M reasons why, but he's closer to home and being a millionaire in Long Island is a nice place to be. Lots of opportunity for his kids to go in any direction they want there, and Horvat will have earned over $100M by the time he hangs them up. Playing on bad teams year after year in Vancouver will force you to look outside of hockey for fulfillment in life, it is just self preservation.

He would have gotten paid everywhere anyways.

Now he decided to enter into the most vanilla situation

• Haha
Reactions: Fist of Fury

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Lol are u from Montreal and talking shit about Long Island? Place is only good for bachelor parties. The best part is when you go you have more money than every person living in the city.

Why do people like being ignorant? Montreal is very beautiful. And I did not go for a Bachelor party either. Never been to Long Island, but I am pretty certain it’s not bad either and probably very nice too. Can we stop talking shit about places where people live?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Lol are u from Montreal and talking shit about Long Island? Place is only good for bachelor parties. The best part is when you go you have more money than every person living in the city.
in 2019 Montreal had ~5bn in tourism with a population under 2m

in 2019 Long Island had ~6.5bn in tourism with a population above 7m

that must be a lot of bachelor parties!!

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017

Yea there is a ton. People go for a weekend. Not sure why anyone would be going to Long Island lol.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That’s pretty much the market value today.

For similar aged franchise C you need to pay 2-4M more per season

It’s not even close to market value. Duchene is better and made less and just got bought out. Kuznetsov makes even less, is also better, and apparently can’t be given away. Horvat got overpaid by ~2 million. That doesn’t mean the Isles can’t be happy to have him, but there’s almost no chance anyone was going to be offering him remotely close to 68 million in free agency.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This contract should age finely if we're gonna at least let the guy play a full season before throwing our hands up in anger.

I think the staff should realize that
A-He's a better netfront presence than Lee at this point
B-Our defense should be shooting more to him (I think Horvat had at least 10+ goals that were tip ins last season
C-He's getting better at the two way game

A successful Horvat tenure has him scoring 60-65 points for the first 4 seasons IMO. He won't be a superstar, but he'll be a very good complimentary part for Barzal as he gets older and plays on the wing. My question is who the hell plays LW for the islanders with Bo and Barzal? It shouldn't be Palmieri, but it might have to be. Maybe Wahlstrom if he's still here?

Reactions: Grantham

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Why do people like being ignorant? Montreal is very beautiful. And I did not go for a Bachelor party either. Never been to Long Island, but I am pretty certain it’s not bad either and probably very nice too. Can we stop talking shit about places where people live?

I wasn’t the one that started talking shit. It was your boy from Montreal. I just let him know Long Island is a few miles outside on NYC (on the water obviously) and is twice as expensive as Montreal. He has zero reason to say anything about it lol

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This contract should age finely if we're gonna at least let the guy play a full season before throwing our hands up in anger.

I think the staff should realize that
A-He's a better netfront presence than Lee at this point
B-Our defense should be shooting more to him (I think Horvat had at least 10+ goals that were tip ins last season
C-He's getting better at the two way game

A successful Horvat tenure has him scoring 60-65 points for the first 4 seasons IMO. He won't be a superstar, but he'll be a very good complimentary part for Barzal as he gets older and plays on the wing. My question is who the hell plays LW for the islanders with Bo and Barzal? It shouldn't be Palmieri, but it might have to be. Maybe Wahlstrom if he's still here?

So you’re paying 8.5 mil for a complimentary part to a 9 mil complimentary part. Where’s the actual top line star these two are supposed to be complimenting?

• Haha

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
So you’re paying 8.5 mil for a complimentary part to a 9 mil complimentary part. Where’s the actual top line star these two are supposed to be complimenting?
Aren't the Rangers paying 12M for a dude who fizzles out in the playoffs?

I think if you're paying 8.5M for a guy who still can be very useful, can win faceoffs, can play in both ends of the ice, can score, and can be so much better with Barzal, its worth said contract. At least let me see a full season with the guy, and let me at least see the islanders use him correctly as well for assignments.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Aren't the Rangers paying 12M for a dude who fizzles out in the playoffs?

I think if you're paying 8.5M for a guy who still can be very useful, can win faceoffs, can play in both ends of the ice, can score, and can be so much better with Barzal, its worth said contract. At least let me see a full season with the guy, and let me at least see the islanders use him correctly as well for assignments.

11 mil for 2 points in 7 vs 19 mil for 4 points in 6 games for the dynamic duo, it’s a tough call. The thing is even with Panarin struggling the Rangers can still afford a real 1C, 1W, etc instead of having to play the corpse of Parise or Palmieri at 1W. The islanders are capped out with nothing even resembling a 1W or legit 1C in the system.

Horvat can win faceoffs, don’t lump in two way play with that by default. If his defensive game got twice as good overnight it would finally start approaching average.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
the Horvat in Vancouver can drive a line, esp when motivated. you just have to play a system that allows him to. He runs very hot and cold, you just have to live with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad