Proposal: NYI/Calgary/Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Please explain why you feel this way

It's really, really simple... one has proven the ability to start and has stolen a team a playoff series while the other is a backup goalie on a stacked team with inflated numbers. I'll let you pick who's who

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Lack of opportunity doesn't make Grubs a lesser talent or Greiss the better goalie.

Lesser talent no but greiss is the better goalie until grubauer proves otherwise. You can't use backup numbers and assume they'll translate if grubauer were to start. Greiss proved himself two seasons ago and again, stole his team a series. Right now greiss > grubs

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
"Hey guys, I'm only going to cherry pick from a 31 year old goalie's career the portions that suit my argument and pretend like that makes me right"

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Greiss is definitely better than grubauer currently.....

Isles have a top young KHL goalie prospect in the system and likely will play for Isles in a few years. They also just signed another young Swede as well so they do not need to give away picks for another young goalie. From what I have seen, I like both these goalie prospects and believe with patience one of them will pan out. 2nd round picks are valuable as these are normally a must throw in for a rental deal at the season-ending trade deadline.

Last edited:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
"Hey guys, I'm only going to cherry pick from a 31 year old goalie's career the portions that suit my argument and pretend like that makes me right"

I don't think looking at the two most recent seasons of a player's career really qualifies as cherry picking.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Please explain why you feel this way

Backup goalies on strong teams don't always translate into starters, that's why. Greiss has proven himself to be a legit starting NHL goalie capable of carrying a team to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Grubauer played his first NHL game in the 12-13 season and hasn't started more than 23 games in any NHL season. The starting job is clearly Holtby's and there's no Fleury/Murray or Luongo/Schneider push from the backup to usurp that starting spot.

So for the Isles to give up on what's essentially a sure thing, a goalie we know is capable of winning us games, for what? Jonny Bernier 2.0? We don't need 8 solid years out of Greiss, just enough time to hold down the fort until hopefully Sorokin or Soderstrom are ready. If all our goalie prospects bust like Poulin/Nilsson/Koskinen did, oh well, we trade a 3rd for that years Bishop/Darling, super reasonable prices for veteran goalies.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Good sarcastic quote man!! Now you want to try and explain why grubauer is better or just keep making an *** of yourself? Greiss proved he's a starter 2 seasons ago so it's not cherry picking, it's when he broke out. I even stated grubauer may not be a lesser talent but RIGHT NOW (used caps because you seem to have difficulty reading), Greiss is the better goalie. Grubauer has yet to play more than 25 games in a season. Sorry if I offended your backup goalie who won't return close to a first round pick in a trade. Like mentioned earlier, it's not a Lu/Schneider situation, there's no competition. Feel better

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You're the one who made an assertion that Greiss was better. The burden of proof is on you. So far all you've done is make a blanket statement about starting games and stealing a playoff series (which could just as easily be applied to Halak multiple times over). Being a more proven goaltender does not make you a better goaltender. Nor does being blocked behind the reigning Vezina trophy winner make you a lesser goaltender.

Grubauer compares favorably with guys like Martin Jones and Robin Lehner at the time of their trades, and both of which commanded substantial returns.

I'm not arguing that the Islanders should trade for Grubauer (and Islanders fan was the one who started this thread), just poking fun at Islanders fans who are trying to use the "he's a back-up" argument to discredit Grubauer in favor of a guy who was a back-up (on four different teams!) until age 28.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
You're the one who made an assertion that Greiss was better. The burden of proof is on you. So far all you've done is make a blanket statement about starting games and stealing a playoff series (which could just as easily be applied to Halak multiple times over). Being a more proven goaltender does not make you a better goaltender. Nor does being blocked behind the reigning Vezina trophy winner make you a lesser goaltender.

Grubauer compares favorably with guys like Martin Jones and Robin Lehner at the time of their trades, and both of which commanded substantial returns.

I'm not arguing that the Islanders should trade for Grubauer (and Islanders fan was the one who started this thread), just poking fun at Islanders fans who are trying to use the "he's a back-up" argument to discredit Grubauer in favor of a guy who was a back-up (on four different teams!) until age 28.

but greiss is a starter and grubauer isn't…

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Greiss is more established. That's pretty much the difference. Upside goes to Grubauer
and he does look like he could be a very good starting goaltender.

As an Islanders fan, this trade doesn't make any sense. Greiss is the #1 and earned it though Halak could very well assume that role if he isn't traded.

One of Sorokin or Soderstrom is (hopefully) an in-house cost-controlled backup within two years.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah dude, the burden of proof is on you to prove your backup is as good as our starter.

Jones and Lehner, like Bernier, had significant amounts of interest from other teams before they were traded. Closest comparison this season would easily be Scott Darling. Apart from this thread, I haven't heard any speculation of any team looking to make Grubauer their starter.

If he's as valuable as you claim he is and better than Greiss, why not trade him? He's only two years younger than Holtby and Holtby is winning Vezina trophies. Meanwhile Samsonov putting in work in the KHL.

Lehner & Jones both got a 1st round pick, and you say Grabauer's value compares to his, so go ahead and find a team eager to trade a first for him. We'll wait.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For the umpteenth time, Scott Darling was just UFA rights. To keep it simple for the couple Islanders fans (most are reasonable) who don't understand that, think of when you traded a 4th round pick for the UFA rights for Jaroslav Halak. Remember that? It was only a few years ago. It was cheap because it was just free agent rights, not any contract or team control left. Same thing for this Scott Darling trade.

If Grubauer isn't selected in the expansion draft, Washington will almost certainly trade him. Right now they're content using Grubauer as a shield against Nate Schmidt being selected in the expansion draft, given that Nate Schmidt is slotted as a top 4 defenseman for Washington next season.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

Which goalie delivered his team a playoff series victory...a small hint it starts with GREI...

who knows Grubaurer is a very fine backup behind a 2X president trophy winner team who hasn't even sniffed playoff experience so MAYBE he ends up being a legit starter, maybe not. I'm more than fine living with a current NHL starter than a possibility.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Let's not go into burden of proof here, I've provided an argument, not a blanket statement. You on the other hand have not. youre acting like an unproven backup is better than an established NHL starting goalie. That's foolish. If you don't want to defend yourself fine but you do realize what you're arguing right?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm still waiting to hear the team that's gonna give up a 1st round pick for Grabauer :laugh:

If he survives past the expansion draft, Calgary. Perhaps other openings after Vegas plucks goalies during the expansion draft.

Most likely scenario is that Vegas selects him and keeps him.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I'm still waiting for a defense of Greiss that couldn't also be applied to Jaroslav Halak.

Halak is also currently a more reliable goalie than grubauer. But if you really wanna know (not sure why this is relevant) the days of halak starting and stealing wins in the playoffs are behind him. Not to say he can't bounce back but for now that's the case. Greiss right now (you're really really struggling with this concept) is starting and stole a series in 2016. If you wanna use your argument yes, halak on the habs was much much better than grubauer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad