Injury Report: Nurse, get a Nurse for Nurse

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Russell cannot play with Barrie. Both are small and would get destroyed in the defensive zone.

Russell - Barrie played together a few times this season, more familiarity than effectiveness, and each covers the others’ weaknesses,

Reactions: TB12

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Props to poster last night with a LEGIT rumor. Rumor was it was a broken finger or something. I wonder if he took a bad slash by the dirty Jets?

Nurse’s game has been off all year. Trying way too hard and not letting the game just come to him. No surprise he gets injured playing like that, he’s usually quite the iron man.
If you’re speculating that it was from a slash how do you then attribute it to him trying too hard?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Injuries to top players are never a good thing, but the timing isn't horrible as the team has a little bit of a cushion to start the season and a lighter schedule for the next two weeks. At some point you need to get a look at your prospects, so this is an opportunity to see how close Broberg is.

It doesn't sound like it's an injury that could threaten his whole season, so ride it out for a bit.

This is also where we can see Keith's value. He's stepping up into a role he's played his entire career, so he shouldn't be panicking about this, and probably is looking forward to the challenge.

Hopefully, this tightens up the team defense a bit as well, which would serve the team very well for when Darnell returns. Last nights game for me was a positive that the team did show a bit better in team defense keeping the real tough chances against at 5 on 5 in check (particularly after the first), so build on it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It’s not going to end well imo. They cannot stop a forecheck or a cycle.

I would run

Keith - Bouchard
Broberg - Ceci
Lagesson - Barrie
It'll probably be
Keith - Ceci
Russell - Bouchard
Lagesson/Broberg - Barrie

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
and Lagesson can?
Better than Russell. At least he has size and can box out effectively.

If you play Russell with Barrie you’re just asking for extended zone time against and tons of weird deflection goals.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Should be OK given the schedule both in terms of numbers of games and who we are playing. Treading water till he gets back should be the goal.

It's just game by game. Chicago is beatable even without Nurse, so get that game and build a little more room. Dallas might be imploding this year and decisions like yesterday's often don't serve team unity well, try and get that game. Then you get Arizona, if you lost one of the previous, here's your chance to make it up. Vegas... that will be tough, but you have 2 days off before and 3 days off after it so ride your best guys a little harder if you have to and hope to get at least a point. Next up, Pittsburgh to start a stretch of 7 of 8 at home. That's already two weeks out, so you might be through it already. If not, Pittsburgh might be a schedule loss, but then you go into Seattle who hasn't been impressive at all this year.

4-2 over that stretch isn't inconceivable even without Nurse. That takes us to December 5th where they will face a pretty tough 6 game home stand (LA, Minne, Boston, Caroline, Toronto, CBJ), but at least its at home and if it's how it sounds, Darnell should be able to rejoin on this homestand if the team is struggling a bit. Possibly even Smith is back as well at that point.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
9 games in the next 3 weeks
Chicago, Dallas, Arizona, Vegas, Pittsburgh, Seattle, LA, Minnesota, Boston

Chicago, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Arizona are all currently bottom 10 teams,.
Boston, LA are out of the playoffs
Vegas and Minnesota are playoff teams

So Really this is an incredibly easy stretch.
5-3-1 should be quite doable in this stretch even without Nurse.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well atleast we know Kieth will be game for the challenge. This is in his wheel house. Hope he can handle it alright, and not get caved. Not expecting him to fill the void, but just enough to minimize the damage.
That's 1LD Keith to you Mr.!

In all seriousness.. .I don't like how we deploy our D

Top pair minutes = too high
middle pair minutes = perfect
bottom pair minutes = too low

We essentially play our D like every game is a game 7. I'd like top pair to go down in regular season and bottom pair to go up in regular season. Then, when an injury like this happens, we just reshuffle a bit and hope for the best in the meantime. D by committee.

I'd like Tipp to role the lines more and give these guys chances to make mistakes. No one can succeed at playing 2 shifts a period. Hope this creates more balance in the D.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
9 games in the next 3 weeks
Chicago, Dallas, Arizona, Vegas, Pittsburgh, Seattle, LA, Minnesota, Boston

Chicago, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Arizona are all currently bottom 10 teams,.
Boston, LA are out of the playoffs
Vegas and Minnesota are playoff teams

So Really this is an incredibly easy stretch.
5-3-1 should be quite doable in this stretch even without Nurse.
Nice to see you haven’t completely lost your optimism again ;)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-11-19_13-43-44.png

I'm liking Bro over Zegras more a little today.lol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nice to see you haven’t completely lost your optimism again ;)
Like I don't think we are a shit team, I just want this team to be great and can see where this team needs to improve and get frustrated seeing the glaring issues continue lol

Reactions: Czechboy

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I was right, they did recall Lagesson.

Also Smith on LTIR I think means they feel comfortable enough with Skinner now.

That's just to cover the salaries they've brought up. They didn't have enough cap space to bring up two d-men, so send Smith to LTIR as he's already missed the 10 games and 24 day requirement for LTIR. They can reactivate him whenever they want. At least that's how I understand it as I don't think they need to be on LTIR for 10 games and 24 days, just that they need to be expected to miss that much time to qualify for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad