News Article: Nuge (Oilers-Senators)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly, I'm not crazy about the deal but the dude can snipe and he's a great skater. You put him with an elite center and I could see 35+ goals from him. It's the type of player the Oilers haven't had since Guerin? I get the argument for not doing this deal as well due to RNH's age and versatility but some of you act like they are trading Barzal and Carlo for Reinhart. What do they need more? A pure goal scoring winger or a solid but unspectacular 2 way #2C (#3C here) who may or may not be a long term fit on wing

I think its that actually most of the board have never seen or witnessed an Oiler one time scorer. its like they don't completely realize that this tool kit is immensely significant and that few one time scorers that are as consistent as Hoffman exist, or are even available. When you get a chance for one you take it.

if we had Hoffman people would recognize the value of his shot within 10GP. Mark it down.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So essentially we traded Eberle for a scrub and now we're possibly trading RNH for another Eberle...the circle of life continues

Reactions: VainGretzky

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The team is rebuilding, they should admit it.

They had a window to leap frog that IF they could have taken better advantage of that 2015 draft and come out of it with say McDavid + Barzal or Boeser, if they had a GM that could've taken advantage of the Hamonic or Hjlmarsson situations and upgraded the D at a more reasonable cost, etc. etc. etc. But they weren't smart enough to do that, so these are the consequences of that.

But they've kinda blown that window and they should just admit to fans and be honest. They've made mistakes, they are going to focus on player development rather than hail mary trades.

Sure, they can do that too and I don't think it's an option that should be off the table but then don't complain that Chia was too complacent in addressing holes if he stays the course.
I get it, I'm scared of what he'll do next too but I think we should come to terms with the fact that more big trades are going to happen as his job status becomes more and more uncertain. He's not going to stand pat and just let it play out IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure, they can do that too and I don't think it's an option that should be off the table but then don't complain that Chia was too complacent in addressing holes if he stays the course.
I get it, I'm scared of what he'll do next too but I think we should come to terms with the fact that more big trades are going to happen as his job status becomes more and more uncertain. He's not going to stand pat and just let it play out IMO.

And that should terrify every Oilers fan. This is terrible, terrible situation to be in.

Effectively you have a GM who's going to put his short term job security over what is best for the team long term.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The dude has only 2 more goals in 20 more games played. Our dude is learning to snipe as well and doing it without being on the PP.

The 2 seasons prior to this one, he had 55 goals to RNH's 30. Just watch him play, he lives to score goals. You know how many opportunities McDavid or Drai would create for him? He doesn't dust the puck off, that thing will be in the back of the net in an instant. I could see 35 goals minimum from him here.
Are you trying to argue that RNH is just as good a goal scorer as Hoffman is?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So essentially we traded Eberle for a scrub and now we're possibly trading RNH for another Eberle...the circle of life continues

Hoffman isn't Eberle because Hoffman has a hot one time shot. Look at the hilite reels, watch the player. One time goals from guys that can really crank it are harder to stop. Put Hoffman with McD and you never have to put Drai there. Then hopefully we get Maroon or some competent winger in the offseason to work with Drai. Or maybe Puljy or Slepy show some progress or Lucic comes out of his coma.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think its that actually most of the board have never seen or witnessed an Oiler one time scorer. its like they don't completely realize that this tool kit is immensely significant and that few one time scorers that are as consistent as Hoffman exist, or are even available. When you get a chance for one you take it.

if we had Hoffman people would recognize the value of his shot within 10GP. Mark it down.
no one is denying that Hoffman would not help the Oilers.. He is just not worth RNH.
Nuge cannot be replaced by a Strome\Desharnais or Khaira. Even if he plays as 3C he would be our 3rd best forward playing 3rd most minutes and will produce the 3rd most points.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This is the 4th thread this month where you've brought up that 3 years ago I wasn't a big Gagner fan.
Nobody is bringing up that you aren't a fan. Pay attention.
You took exception to the very fair and honest point that RNH has been the beneficiary of some EN goals, own goals and fluke deflections.
I pointed out, with examples, that you are the last guy on the board who gets to cry foul when someone suggests that some goals are less worthy than others.
Laughably you are now suggesting that bringing up examples like Gagner and Eberle is taking the thread OT when your original post that I responded to was bringing up Ryan Smyth.
As usual, its do as I say, not as I do in naboob's world.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The 2 seasons prior to this one, he had 55 goals to RNH's 30. Just watch him play, he lives to score goals. You know how many opportunities McDavid or Drai would create for him. He doesn't dust the puck off, that thing will be in the back of the net in an instant. I could see 35 goals minimum from him here.

I think people haven't even looked at the boxcars. Hoffman is amazingly consistent goal scorer and has more goals than anybody we have had since Smyth over the last 4 seasons. But I liked your Guerin comparison. Hoffman can really shoot it. Doesn't dust it off. That puck is gone. people should watch the player. Seems like they haven't. This is a guy with pure one timer mechanics. Younger Oiler fans don't even know what that looks like or what it does. its a weapon that just completely opens up D's for obliteration. Its overwhelming for D's to have a guy with a cannon like that in addition to covering McD, Drai, etc.

The key thing we are lacking is a long range or one time bomber. That completes what we need in our arsenal. Imagine what it does for our PP alone.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The 2 seasons prior to this one, he had 55 goals to RNH's 30. Just watch him play, he lives to score goals. You know how many opportunities McDavid or Drai would create for him. He doesn't dust the puck off, that thing will be in the back of the net in an instant. I could see 35 goals minimum from him here.
RNH is not a goal scorer. He is 'historically' a playmaker. This year RNH has adjusted his game and the puck has started to go in. Lets not forget that RNH is just entering his prime while Hoffman will be turning 30 next year.
There is no rush to trade RNH... might as well see if he can become a 25\30 goal scorer on his own.

Chia needs to fix the team and have players play to their strengths.. McDavid has given up on Chia and is turning into a goal scorer \ PKer himself. Him and RNH should not be killing penalties if the GM brought in proper players.. Hoffman would be another 1 dimensional player who doesnt PK..

I would rather trade for Pageau than Hoffman.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nobody is bringing up that you aren't a fan. Pay attention.
You took exception to the very fair and honest point that RNH has been the beneficiary of some EN goals, own goals and fluke deflections.
I pointed out, with examples, that you are the last guy on the board who gets to cry foul when someone suggests that some goals are less worthy than others.
Laughably you are now suggesting that bringing up examples like Gagner and Eberle is taking the thread OT when your original post that I responded to was bringing up Ryan Smyth.
As usual, its do as I say, not as I do in naboob's world.
Bringing up the best Oiler at deflecting pucks actually had a reference point. You're just rambling about players with zero reference to Nuge. Just more noise from you 'Poon

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pass it to the left. The tangents you go on and the stuff you make up about me is seriously hilarious sometimes. You have posted more about Sammy on my behalf in the last two years than I have.

Keep up the good work 'Poon.

But try to stay on track this thread is about Nuge and how his really solid play this season has increased his value.

Nuge value has increased somewhat. To the point where his contract is tradeable this offseason.

Put it this way. Ottawa wouldn't even entertain a thought of a Nuge for Hoffman straight up trade last season after Nuge's poor season and playoffs. This season both players have had good seasons and if the deal is there you take it. Hoffman one timer is more of a need on this club than a 3C pulling in 6M.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Nuge value has increased somewhat. To the point where his contract is tradeable this offseason.

Put it this way. Ottawa wouldn't even entertain a thought of a Nuge for Hoffman straight up trade last season after Nuge's poor season and playoffs. This season both players have had good seasons and if the deal is there you take it. Hoffman one timer is more of a need on this club than a 3C pulling in 6M.
Dismissing RNH as a 3C is pathetic.
He would still be playing close to 18mins every night even if it was as a 3C.
Also, for him to play 3C Draisaitl would need to get his head outta his rear and and play like a 2C. Something he has failed to do outside of that one playoffs series vs ANA.

RNH needs to stay until we have 2 lines going.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Bringing up the best Oiler at deflecting pucks actually had a reference point.
Bringing up your double standard on goals that should count vs goals that shouldn't had a reference point.
Ive stood by the opinion that all goals count since I joined this board. You waffle around and change your stance as it suits your agenda. No surprise.

Reactions: Aerrol

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
giphy.gif
Careful you don't fall in, its probably over your head there.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Hoffman would be gold with McDavid I think....As much as I dont want to trade Nuge, I think it would be worth it. And as has been said on here already, we need someone with a good one timer.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Bringing up your double standard on goals that should count vs goals that shouldn't had a reference point.
Ive stood by the opinion that all goals count since I joined this board. You waffle around and change your stance as it suits your agenda. No surprise.

So your point had nothing to do with Nuge or this thread as usual. Just you making stuff up that never happened and personal pot shots. Bravo

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I like Hoffman, he would address the need for a top 6 winger that can actually snipe, isn't that what everyone keeps asking for? And would really help on the PP. It's a conundrum though. Oilers will keep losing depth in one area to
band-aid another until they can actually develop players. And Hoffman alone isn't going to address the winger problem....sigh, then there's D and now Drai has to actually play the position he's getting paid to play...oh well..

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hoffman would be gold with McDavid I think....As much as I dont want to trade Nuge, I think it would be worth it. And as has been said on here already, we need someone with a good one timer.
How about the guy in your avatar?

Hoffman + Pageau for RNH+ something minor could work.
Pageau kills penalties, is good on the draw, is gritty, young, shoots right, responsible defensively and doesnt make too much money. Hoffman is the opposite of the above.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

He's only a 3C pulling in 6M if our 2C, who is pulling in 8.5M, needs the help of McDavid to produce.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I like Hoffman, he would address the need for a top 6 winger that can actually snipe, isn't that what everyone keeps asking for? And would really help on the PP. It's a conundrum though. Oilers will keep losing depth in one area to
band-aid another until they can actually develop players. And Hoffman alone isn't going to address the winger problem....sigh, then there's D and now Drai has to actually play the position he's getting paid to play...oh well..
I would rather have a winger problem than a RD problem or a C problem. Winger problem is the easiest to fix and should not require giving up a player like RNH.

Chia used the wingers to fix the problems in net and on D ... The C depth was inherited and I am glad he didnt touch it.
Lets not forget that RNH was the best C we had since Weight. Young quality Cs are very hard to acquire outside of drafting. See Oilers history for proof or ask MTL , CBJ, OTT management.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
I am not sold one bit on trading RNH for Hoffman.

What happens if Hoffman doesn’t click with Mcdavid? There is no guarantee that he will one bit.

I would rather keep RNH with Mcdavid for the rest of the season. IMO RNH can be more effective with Mcdavid than Hoffman. Even if Hoffman did put up 35 goals with Mcdavid, his hockey IQ (ability to make a play/pass) drops Mcdavid 10+ goals a season vs playing with RNH.

Why it took this long to try our 2 highest hockey IQ players on the same line is just mind baffling. For this reason alone TMac should be canned. He is so stubborn with playing his garbage vets like Letestu that it quickly yanked our season.

This being said I truly believe RNH is a +80 point player per season playing with Mcdavid. Get these guys a half decent d-core and we are contenders again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's only a 3C pulling in 6M if our 2C, who is pulling in 8.5M, needs the help of McDavid to produce.

Get real. Drai has been put on that line at times that the first line isn't scoring. Its as much that as the other. Drai can carry his own line. He's even done that with Cammy, Khaira, Strome, as hard sledding as that is.

Most teams that have Centers of the caliber of Drai or McD have at least one quality winger for each. You need the one, You can't do it without any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad