News Article: Nuge (Oilers-Senators)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Need to fill "needs". It's gonna be

RNH + Klefbom for Hoffman + Ceci

giphy.gif

Chia: Dur hur! I got us a right shot D and a winger for Connor. Price had to be paid. Fart.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Play Connor and Leon together and they'll be happy enough, they both read off each other very well.

That's not really the issue, the issue is either way, even with a Hoffman trade the Oilers are still a 1-line team. So why make the trade anyway.

Yamamoto McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic RNH Puljujarvi
Caggiula Strome Aberg

versus

Hoffman McDavid Puljujarvi
Lucic Draisaitl Yamamoto
Caggiula Strome Aberg

Is there really a big difference here? I see two one line teams with an iffy second line and vanilla third line.

So why go with the older player?

Bingo in the bolded.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Trading RNH for Hoffman would be trading down imo. I think RNH as McDavid's winger could do the same as Hoffman and more. Right now the drawback on the line has been Aberg. Trying Puljujarvi or Slepychev would be prudent next game if not in a couple games.

I don't like the fact Hoffman is also three years older and Nuge has another year on his contract too.

So a straight up trade is definitely a no go zone. There has to be added value coming to the Oilers if we're moving Nugent-Hopkins.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

#KEEPTHENUGE

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Too much puck possession first line and only one puck...;) Its redundant skillsets. I would see what Drai could do with Yama and Pulju. There might be something there.

Hope we get Maroon back but I doubt it.

On a positive note I really like Bear, Nurse, Larsson so our D is looking better.

On a negative note if Pulju doesn't show next season its done. bust.

Seriously? He's barely had one year as an NHLer this year, and much of that in a very limited role. So, if a 20 year old high draft pick struggles next year, you're gonna to label him a bust? I'm sure there will be plenty of GM's out there waiting to take a chance on a "bust" like that if Chia is accomodating.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hoffman alone is a no go for RNH..
If it is Hoffman+Pageau for RNH + Strome I would do it.

IMO RNH is a better 2C than Draisaitl despite Drai being the better player.

RNH is a more productive player than Hoffman and defensively its not even close. The current version of Nuge should be trade bait unless we are packaging him for Karlsson.

How is RNH a better #2C than Draisaitl? How do we even know how good of a #2C Draisaitl is in such a limited sample size? How is Nuge more productive than Hoffman?

Nuge really isn't THAT good defensively, very overrated part of his game. He's a good backchecker and is good at causing turnovers but his defensive positioning is very average and he gets outmuscled a lot along the boards. He's had one pretty good offensive season this year after two awful seasons and all of a sudden he's virtually untouchable according to some around here.

With that said, if Ottawa wanted Puljujarvi for Hoffman then I'd rather do that since I doubt his potential ever gets fulfilled here. Might as well trade him while he still has value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Deflection goals don't count? Might not want to let Smitty know that.
To be fair, you are the board leader in parsing out the goals you don't think should count.
Last period goals when losing or winning by a bunch. Goals against sub .500 teams. Goals when your team is out of the playoffs. Goals against back up netminders. You've run through every possible scenario to try and discredit the goal totals put up by players you don't like. Not a doubt in my mind you'd have started a thread about it by now if Gagner had as many tap ins and empty netters as RNH does this season. Funny you aren't as receptive to the idea when its someone taking goals away from a player you like.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
To be fair, you are the board leader in parsing out the goals you don't think should count.
Last period goals when losing or winning by a bunch. Goals against sub .500 teams. Goals when your team is out of the playoffs. Goals against back up netminders. You've run through every possible scenario to try and discredit the goal totals put up by players you don't like. Not a doubt in my mind you'd have started a thread about it by now if Gagner had as many tap ins and empty netters as RNH does this season. Funny you aren't as receptive to the idea when its someone taking goals away from a player you like.

Pass it to the left. The tangents you go on and the stuff you make up about me is seriously hilarious sometimes. You have posted more about Sammy on my behalf in the last two years than I have.

Keep up the good work 'Poon.

But try to stay on track this thread is about Nuge and how his really solid play this season has increased his value.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It could very well be Cody Ceci. It's been reported (despite people wanting to deny it) that Chiarelli wanted Cody Ceci two summers ago. Well, they could be circling the wagons again around that player.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The tangents you go on and the stuff you make up about me is seriously hilarious
Dude, you have a problem with hypocrisy. Just yesterday you were telling another poster how I have a hate on for JP because his name sounds like Paajarvi - totally off topic and despite the fact that I have posted positively about JP from the beginning. You have brought up Gagner multiple times this season. You have made repeated posts about how many of Eberle's goals shouldn't count. Both of those guys are long gone. Replacement has a valid point that RNH has had some serious puck luck this season. If it were Eberle or Gagner no doubt in my mind you'd be discrediting those goals.

And that's just this week ... yet you want to tell me to stick to the topic. C'mon man, be better. At least admit when you are caught obviously contradicting yourself. No harm in it. You aren't as infallible as you think. :nod:

Reactions: Aerrol

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Pulj for Hoffman is a trade I'd think long and hard about. Contract status and age is the big hurdle there.

If Ottawa is dumb enough to trade us Hoffman for Pulj, we would take that immediately, and laugh all the way home. No chance that Ottawa is that stupid though, not every team has an idiot running the tam like we do in Chia.

Reactions: Consultant

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Since Bob was hinting at Draisaitl ...

Duchene + Ceci

for

Draisaitl?

Could see Chiarelli being dumb enough to do it, it fits into his logic of "yeah but now I have two players instead of one".

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
When you can't even look forward to the off-season because you're terrified the league's worst trading front office will strike again.

Life as an Oilers fan.

I think Nuge and Klefbom could both be gone and long term we will lose on both trades. It's "short term fix" desperation time for the GM if he manages to not be fired, he knows he has to do drastic things because even his supporters (all three of them) on this board say he's toast if next year doesn't turn immediately for him.

If Chia trades them, then of COURSE we will lose the trades. Chia has never traded a big name player in his entire fricken career and won the trade. Why would these trades be any different?

Honestly, I don't know whats more infuriating:
1. The fact that Chia badly, grossly one could say, loses every big trade he makes, OR
2. The fact that Chia seemingly loves to make these trades, presumably thinking that he is actually good at them

Reactions: Aerrol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Dude, you have a problem with hypocrisy. Just yesterday you were telling another poster how I have a hate on for JP because his name sounds like Paajarvi - totally off topic and despite the fact that I have posted positively about JP from the beginning. You have brought up Gagner multiple times this season. You have made repeated posts about how many of Eberle's goals shouldn't count. Both of those guys are long gone. Replacement has a valid point that RNH has had some serious puck luck this season. If it were Eberle or Gagner no doubt in my mind you'd be discrediting those goals.

And that's just this week ... yet you want to tell me to stick to the topic. C'mon man, be better. At least admit when you are caught obviously contradicting yourself. No harm in it. You aren't as infallible as you think. :nod:

Look in the mirror 'Poon. You're way out to lunch here and I think you've sidetracked this thread enough. Every post here that I've made has been about Nuge and how his very solid play this year has increased his value. Not sure why you're bringing up Sammy and now Eberle. Maybe it's insecurities? This is the 4th thread this month where you've brought up that 3 years ago I wasn't a big Gagner fan. Maybe you need a hobby?

Last edited:
Reactions: Senor Catface

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Oilers were playing Drai and McD together DURING the Nuge injury. Just ftr. Actually Strome and Khaira looked better than ever at Center.

But comparing the Hall trade to a potential Nuge trade. Oh my. Theres nothing comparable in those two players. A Hall is impossible to replace. a 40pt vet center not all that difficult.

What a ridiculous comment. RNH has been a "40 point player" once in his career. Every other year he has been in the 50-55 range. Jesus man, we get it, you don't like the player, but try not to outright fabricate things.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If it's Drai, it's for an extended EK. Add pieces as you wish.

Don't think so. Don't think he would want to come here anyway. If he's leaving Ottawa it's for a team that has rock solid management/ownership, he's not gonna go to another question mark of a franchise. IMO if you want in on the Karlsson sweepstakes you better be in the playoffs this season, he's not gonna want to gamble on another "maybe/sorta/could be" situation. Oilers with him but Draisaitl gone are no slam dunk for anything.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How is RNH a better #2C than Draisaitl? How do we even know how good of a #2C Draisaitl is in such a limited sample size? How is Nuge more productive than Hoffman?

Nuge really isn't THAT good defensively, very overrated part of his game. He's a good backchecker and is good at causing turnovers but his defensive positioning is very average and he gets outmuscled a lot along the boards. He's had one pretty good offensive season this year after two awful seasons and all of a sudden he's virtually untouchable according to some around here.

With that said, if Ottawa wanted Puljujarvi for Hoffman then I'd rather do that since I doubt his potential ever gets fulfilled here. Might as well trade him while he still has value.

RNH has more points than Hoffman in the NHL despite being 3\4 yrs younger.
both are 0.67PPG over their careers. RNH is just entering his prime years, isnt 1 dimensional and plays a far more important position.

Draisaitl should have been able to establish himself as a line carrying C by now. This is his 4th NHL season and he is making a whole lot of money.

RNH is virtually untouchable because he is clearly the 3rd best forward on the team. Why are you so hell bent on trading one of the 3 drivers when we have 10 passengers up front? Its taking a step back to take a step forward.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
The sheer idiocy of even contemplating trading Nuge when he seems to be working with Connor is beyond stupid I don't think even Chia could get to that point. Lets trade our center who is working out on the winger for a winger who you know can't fill in at center if say 1 of the 2 go down or god forbid Mclellan is still around to play our only 2 centers capable in the top 6 together.

Reactions: Consultant

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Ottawa is dumb enough to trade us Hoffman for Pulj, we would take that immediately, and laugh all the way home. No chance that Ottawa is that stupid though, not every team has an idiot running the tam like we do in Chia.
OTT has cheap management.. I dont think they can do better than Puljujarvi for Hoffman if the plan is to shed salary and gain value.
Laugh at Pulju all you want, but he still holds more value than our 1st round pick. There is no way Hoffman is fetching OTT a top 10 pick.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

Seriously. Question, are fans on other boards this fickel as well? Seriously. It has only been what, two years? three years since Draisaitl came in and put up 9 points in 37 games as a 19 year old and people were saying he was a bust. Now comes Pool Party and people are doing the same again. He has speed, size and shot that you will not find in a combination. Ridiculous that we would trade him and watch him dominate the league for 20 years, 12 years after Hoffman retired.

Reactions: PGW and VainGretzky

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
huh?

Eberle is in my view worth more than Nuge and less than Hoffman.

Hoffman has a one time shot Eberle could only dream about. With no disrespect to eberle who when on finds different ways to score close in. But Hoffman scores more and with his one timer is obviously a better McD fit. Eberle really struggled with McD because he doesn't have an NHL level one timer shot.
Eberle is younger than Hoffman Eberle has 2 seasons with goals higher than Hoffman career high and Eberle has a higher Career GPG and is another left shot which McDavid seems to be drowned with wingers in his career, no Hoffman is not the answer and at Nuge expense not a chance , would be another stupid move by Chia

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad