News Article: Nuge (Oilers-Senators)

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
How about the guy in your avatar?

Hoffman + Pageau for RNH+ something minor could work.
Pageau kills penalties, is good on the draw, is gritty, young, shoots right, responsible defensively and doesnt make too much money. Hoffman is the opposite of the above.
Pool isnt there yet..hopefully it at some point...but he could be that for Drai while Hoff with McD.

Yah a package deal like that would be good.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
So let me get this straight. We traded a one dimensional winger in Ebs who produces more than Hoffman, but some people want to trade Nuge for a one dimensional Hoffman cuz he one-times some his goals?

What did I miss?
What you may have missed is Taylor Hall #1 overall, Nail Yakupov #1 overall, Hopkins #1 overall, Schultz 51 points and +27 last year, Eberle Oilers average top point getter over previous 5 years....for Hoffman and Larsson.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Nuge for Hoffman.

How much does Ottawa have to add to please us?

They've gotta add another piece.

I think it's Nuge + minor piece for Hoffman + good roster player.

Doesn't make sense any other way.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Hoffman is better than some people on this board are giving him credit for, and he would light it up with McDavid. Still, when you have an emerging winger like Puljujarvi on the team and a fairly substantial pool of UFA wingers this summer, dealing Nugent-Hopkins for a winger is a non-starter for me (unless you're going to get a player better and likely younger than Hoffman). Unless you're absolutely fleecing someone (which I don't have any faith in Chiarelli doing), then a genuinely good RHDman is the only type of player that I'd entertain for Nugent-Hopkins, and teams generally aren't willing to ever trade genuinely good RHDmen unless there is a substantial overpay.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Nuge for Hoffman.

How much does Ottawa have to add to please us?

They've gotta add another piece.

I think it's Nuge + minor piece for Hoffman + good roster player.

Doesn't make sense any other way.

Sens likely add a center since Nuge pushes one of Pageau or Smith to the fourth line. Would prefer JGP, but Smith would not be terrible either. Both help the third line.

Nuge + NJ/NYI 3rd '19 for Hoffman + JGP/Smith.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Keep Nuge. Draft BPA with the high pick. Develop Benson/JP/Yams/BPA. Sign Grabner as a free agent and sign a 4C - play Khaira higher up in the lineup.

RNH-McDavid-Grabner
Lucic-Drai-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Slepy
Caggiula-4C-Kassian

I know it won’t be popular, but we still need to draft and develop. Our prospect depth is miserable.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Keep Nuge. Draft BPA with the high pick. Develop Benson/JP/Yams/BPA. Sign Grabner as a free agent and sign a 4C - play Khaira higher up in the lineup.

RNH-McDavid-Grabner
Lucic-Drai-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Slepy
Caggiula-4C-Kassian

I know it won’t be popular, but we still need to draft and develop. Our prospect depth is miserable.
Strome does nothing for me. I would walk away from him @ 3M per, move Khaira to 3C and play Aberg.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
If Chia trades Nuge for Hoffman, then this team is doomed. I don't understand why they need to trade Nuge at all. He can play C/W and alternate whenever with Draisaitl or when one of them goes down for an injury. Seems like a another potential panic trade by Chia. Sad state this organization is in.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Chia trades Nuge for Hoffman, then this team is doomed. I don't understand why they need to trade Nuge at all. He can play C/W and alternate whenever with Draisaitl or when one of them goes down for an injury. Seems like a another potential panic trade by Chia. Sad state this organization is in.
even the Senator insider has tweeted that RNH for Hoffman discussions never took place... no need for chicken little overreactions to stuff thats not even happening.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's actually a pretty underrated passer so he does more than just shoot the puck. He's not Brandon Pirri.

Sure he gives the Oilers flexibility. He gives the Oilers a legit top line sniper so Drai doesn't have to be moved up to the top line everytime McDavid's wingers fail him. He gives you the option to put Drai at #2C full time like he should have been all along.

Also, Drai succeeded on McDavid's RW so why couldn't Hoffman? It doesn't matter which side he plays on, McDavid will find him because McDavid is THAT good. If he doesn't work with McDavid then he can play alongside Draisaitl. That's the luxury of having two elite skilled centers, any winger with some speed and any semblance of hands can succeed with either of them.

Draisaitl and McDavid work in good part because Draisaitl is supremely talented and can think the game like McDavid does. But also because Draisaitl can protect the puck incredibly well which typically draws extra attention to him freeing up McDavid. If you try to focus too much on McDavid Leon can beat you in many ways. Hoffman is a very different kind of player. He is much more of a third wheel whose primary skill is his shot. But he is not at the level of the elite goals scores.

I don't see it as flexibility to force a situation where you have to play Leon away from McDavid because you have no one else who can play in that slot. That is the opposite of flexibility.

You also seem to be arguing against yourself here. On one hand you say that it does not matter who plays the wing with these guys but then you say that you need a guy like Hoffman so that Leon does not have to play RW when his wingers fail him. Which is it?

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
even the Senator insider has tweeted that RNH for Hoffman discussions never took place... no need for chicken little overreactions to stuff thats not even happening.

Thats how it works around here especially lately.
Then you can line up behind the player you like and trash the player you dont like.
Then the emotional argument goes around and around.
The usual posters get triggered and then try to trigger other posters...lol

Aside from a few well thought out posts (thankful for that at least) thats pretty much the deal.

Senor Catface had it right...just sit back with a feed bag of popcorn and watch the entertainment. :nod:

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Nonsense. He gets moved up to the McDavid line because the Oilers don't have any wingers that can score.
It's 100% your opinion that he gets moved to the top line because he doesn't produce away from McDavid (which is actually 100% false)

Draisaitl played with McDavid a lot last year when the Oilers wingers were scoring regularly so it would seem that this is not the reason for the pairing. One reason to play the two together is because when they are hot they are almost unstoppable.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
If we're really trading Nuge to OTT, I really hope we rob them like Colorado did :D

(Yes, I know it was a 3-way trade but OTT defenitely lost the trade by a country mile)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The sheer idiocy of even contemplating trading Nuge when he seems to be working with Connor is beyond stupid I don't think even Chia could get to that point. Lets trade our center who is working out on the winger for a winger who you know can't fill in at center if say 1 of the 2 go down or god forbid Mclellan is still around to play our only 2 centers capable in the top 6 together.

Not sure yet if RNH is working out with Connor but it very well could be a fit. I am with you though...I think it will be.

IMO the team is much better served by a player that may not score quite as many goals as Hoffman but offers much more flexibility (plays centre or wing, plays the PK) than Hoffman. The Cap savings isnt enough to offset that IMO.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's amazing that there are people who defended the Reinhart trade... who defended the Hall trade... who defended the Eberle trade.

But this potential deal, one that actually is reasonably close in value, is the one that is going to make you want to fire Chia.

He's made the worst trade in the league three summers running, and this is the rumoured one that breaks the camels back for some of you.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He's made the worst trade in the league three summers running, and this is the rumoured one that breaks the camels back for some of you.
What about those of us who hated all three ... and hate this rumor too?

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Strome does nothing for me. I would walk away from him @ 3M per, move Khaira to 3C and play Aberg.

JJ probably isn't ready for 3C duties. I think he'd be a fine third line LW next year as he learns the trade, but it's a big jump from fourth line duty to shutting down scoring lines.

Playing on the wing may also help bring out a bit more of his offensive ability. He has the potential to be a great net presence on the PP, sort of like what we expected Looch would provide.

Assuming the RNH and NYI/NJ 3rd 2019 for Hoffman and Pageau/Smith trade I proposed earlier happens, Khaira would slot in nicely on a rebuilt third line.

Chia would just need to make one more small move- something like Strome and 3rd for Cousins and Panik from ARI- to balance the roster:

Hoffman-McDavid-Panik
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Smith/Pageau-Aberg
Caggiula-Cousins-Kassian
Malone Pakarinen

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera
Russell-Bear/Benning
Bear/Benning

Is it a super-fantastical roster? No, but it's a smidgen deeper than the current one while keeping ammunition like the 2018 1st in play for that "top defenceman" Bobby Burgers is after.

I could see that being the sum total of Chia's work heading into the Draft as he is inexplicably given one more chance by Katz to make this a playoff team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Draisaitl played with McDavid a lot last year when the Oilers wingers were scoring regularly so it would seem that this is not the reason for the pairing. One reason to play the two together is because when they are hot they are almost unstoppable.

Draisaitl moved up to the McDavid line because Eberle and whoever else failed in that role, the McDavid line was struggling before Drai got bumped up. Then Draisaitl got moved to 2nd line center in the Anaheim series because the 2nd line failed.
Yes, one reason why they continued to play together is because they were a great pair last season (not so much this season) but the original plan was to have Draisaitl center the 2nd line so the main reason why he was moved up in the first place was because the top line wasn't clicking, not because he was ineffective as 2nd line center.

To address your previous post, I didn't say that it didn't matter who played wing on McDavid's line. I said that what you need is a speedy winger with decent hands to cash in his passes, basically if Cagguila had better hands. They have auditioned the likes of Cagguila, Puljujarvi for a time, Slepyshev and Aberg. They've been forced to move Drai to the line because the others who are a mish mash of tweeners or an overwhelmed young player. You get a scoring winger in that spot and you can then have your two best offensive players driving separate lines like the Pens do with Crosby and Malkin for example. Get Drai somebody better than a completely finished Cammalleri on his RW (we're stuck with Lucic either way) and you'll likely have 2 scoring lines for the first time since '06?

Maybe Nuge can be that scoring winger for McDavid but he's not a pure goal scorer like Hoffman is and to add, Hoffman would give a boost to their anemic PP which is one of the main reasons for team failure plus you save almost a million in cap for the next 2 seasons.
As I said before, I'm not even sure I do the trade because I do value RNH's ability to move around the lineup but I'm taking issue with those who are calling this a horrific proposal as if RNH is the far superior asset.

Last edited:

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
If Pageau is coming with Hoffman, then that changes things. One would think that it would take a fairly decent piece in addition to Nugent-Hopkins to make that deal, though.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
RNH + 3rd for Hoffman + Pageau anyone?

I think this board is really underrating Hoffman. He's a really fast near 30goal scorer that would light it up with McDavid.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
RNH + 3rd for Hoffman + Pageau anyone?

I think this board is really underrating Hoffman. He's a really fast near 30goal scorer that would light it up with McDavid.

There's no indication that he would. Infact, few players stats increase dramatically with star players. I highly doubt he would produce much more than he does now

TBH, nobody has really gotten that much better with McDavid so far

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'm nervous as hell with Chiarelli in charge involving a trade involving Nuge.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad