Confirmed with Link: [NSH/TOR] Franson and Santorelli for Jokinen, Leipsic, 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Don't know how anyone can be disappointed with the return.

Realistically? Franson for a 1st in a year where not many teams are moving their first

Then Santorelli for a decent prospect. The receiving of the 1st means you can add a piece here that is closer to the NHL, than say, a 2nd round pick, which is always preferred.

Two players, about to be lost for nothing. Now you've got 2 valuable future assets at a time when the rental market hasn't really flushed itself out.

And Jokinen, where we will flip for other assets, even minor ones. Late picks, whatever!

On top of this, people dont seem to realize that Edmonton and Carolina are finally winning games and this trade severely diminishing our ability to win any games coming down the stretch.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don't know how anyone can be disappointed with the return.

Realistically? Franson for a 1st in a year where not many teams are moving their first

Then Santorelli for a decent prospect. The receiving of the 1st means you can add a piece here that is closer to the NHL, than say, a 2nd round pick, which is always preferred.

Two players, about to be lost for nothing. Now you've got 2 valuable future assets at a time when the rental market hasn't really flushed itself out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either player return this summer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

How often does that actually happen though?

My opinion is that Franson is going to want more $ and term than we should be committing to at this point. It just isn't the right thing to do, to saddle ourselves with a 5 year, $5 mil plus contract for a guy his age. He's basically in his prime, and should want to go somewhere he can help win, not a struggling team for the next 2-3 years until he starts to decline.

Santa... We shall see.. I really admire his work ethic and that would be beneficial in rebuilding.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

I would.

Both are good citizens but want to win. Franson owes the Leafs nothing. They weren't comfortable paying him $5 million a few weeks ago, why will they be ok paying him more in a few months?

After his time last year in Vancouver, and this year in Toronto, Santorelli just wants to contend now doesn't he? What's so appealing about a rebuild in Toronto?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I would.

Both are good citizens but want to win. Franson owes the Leafs nothing. They weren't comfortable paying him $5 million a few weeks ago, why will they be ok paying him more in a few months?

After his time last year in Vancouver, and this year in Toronto, Santorelli just wants to contend now doesn't he? What's so appealing about a rebuild in Toronto?

Players like Santa don't give a **** about winning the Cup. They want to maximize their money. He will go to the team that gives him multiple years. Neither Vancouver nor Toronto want to do that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

My opinion is that Franson is going to want more $ and term than we should be committing to at this point. It just isn't the right thing to do, to saddle ourselves with a 5 year, $5 mil plus contract for a guy his age. He's basically in his prime, and should want to go somewhere he can help win, not a struggling team for the next 2-3 years until he starts to decline.

Santa... We shall see.. I really admire his work ethic and that would be beneficial in rebuilding.

My guess. 0% on Santorelli and 25% on Franson.

I would.

Thought about it some more and while a nice sentiment to think they'd come back, it is doubtful.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
So because he has a differing opinion then you he's "delusional"? While I disagree that Santo doesn't want to win a cup he's right tho that Santo will be looking to cash in on a big long term deal.

Yes. When someone states that a player in the NHL doesnt give a **** about winning the cup, it is delusional.

People dont commit their lives to the game to not care about winning the cup. Especially when Santa is one of the ONLY players on the ice to give a **** about winning a game on a losing team.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

Who was that veteran that played with St Louis for a long time then went to Atlanta where he was traded at the deadline, in the summer returned to Atlanta, then they traded him again at the next deadline. Can't think of the name, it was a high profile player though...

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Who was that veteran that played with St Louis for a long time then went to Atlanta where he was traded at the deadline, in the summer returned to Atlanta, then they traded him again at the next deadline. Can't think of the name, it was a high profile player though...

You are thinking about Keith Tkachuk and it happened twice I think lol.

SkateSave

Dec 15, 2009
Yes. When someone states that a player in the NHL doesnt give a **** about winning the cup, it is delusional.

People dont commit their lives to the game to not care about winning the cup. Especially when Santa is one of the ONLY players on the ice to give a **** about winning a game on a losing team.

I think the issue is seeing winning the cup and getting good money as necessarily mutually exclusive. I think players have priorities though.

Players also don't commit their lives to a game without getting renumerated for it and being able to provide as best they can for their families. A player like santorelli isn't making enough money too give him the luxury of picking the team that can win a cup. It doesnt mean he won't play like hell to help whatever team he's on get there. He can sort of care about both.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
From what I had heard Santorelli was wanting 3 years at 3M per.

I would do that for sure. I'd also take Winnik at 2.5 for 3 years also (or maybe even 3x3)

I know some people think that we're just going to tank next year... but I think Bernier is too good. Having a good goalie can almost single handedly get you into the playoffs. The only reason we're not in a playoff spot is because our top line stopped playing hockey. If we ship that first line out, and just get some players that are willing to play hard, I think we can be a playoff team even as we are "rebuilding". I honestly think that our team would have been better off this year without Kessel, JVR and Bozak

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I would do that for sure. I'd also take Winnik at 2.5 for 3 years also (or maybe even 3x3)

I know some people think that we're just going to tank next year... but I think Bernier is too good. Having a good goalie can almost single handedly get you into the playoffs. The only reason we're not in a playoff spot is because our top line stopped playing hockey. If we ship that first line out, and just get some players that are willing to play hard, I think we can be a playoff team even as we are "rebuilding". I honestly think that our team would have been better off this year without Kessel, JVR and Bozak

1. Berniers been our starting goalie this season and were 26th overall? How's that working out? Not saying he's to blame for the problems but if you are expecting a miracle turn around from 26th overall to lets say 13th-15th overall your in for quite the reality check.

2. As much as JVR/Kessel/Bozak have been huge defensive liabilities they also account for 57 goals (36% of the team goals for), I can almost gurantee you take those 3 out of the lineup this season and were looking at 29th/30th overall as opposed to 26th.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
1. Berniers been our starting goalie this season and were 26th overall? How's that working out? Not saying he's to blame for the problems but if you are expecting a miracle turn around from 26th overall to lets say 13th-15th overall your in for quite the reality check.

2. As much as JVR/Kessel/Bozak have been huge defensive liabilities they also account for 57 goals (36% of the team goals for), I can almost gurantee you take those 3 out of the lineup this season and were looking at 29th/30th overall as opposed to 26th.

1. We were essentially a lock to make the playoffs before the collapse. I blame the collapse mostly on the top line.

2. Bozak, Kessel and JVR are: -16, -19 and -22 respectively. As a team for the entire season, we're only a -15.

The fact that they only score 36% of the goals is nothing to brag about. We've ever really played a 4th line all year. The first line gets all the PP time. They get the most ice time.

If we ship off Bozak, JVR and Kessel... and bring in some more Winnik & Santorelli type players, we'll win more games.

If our team plays hard every night, Bernier will get us into the playoffs next year for sure. Our "rebuilding" team will be way better than our current team.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Players like Santa don't give a **** about winning the Cup. They want to maximize their money. He will go to the team that gives him multiple years. Neither Vancouver nor Toronto want to do that.

And if he'd be willing to take a paycut in order to win a cup, he still wouldn't sign here :laugh:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The guys on Leafs Lunch are really singing the praises of this deal. In a draft many consider much better then last years, Franson/Santa brought in more then Vanek or Gaborik. Thats really something all things considered.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
The guys on Leafs Lunch are really singing the praises of this deal. In a draft many consider much better then last years, Franson/Santa brought in more then Vanek or Gaborik. Thats really something all things considered.

Yup.

Getting a 1st was key, because I don't think very many will be getting thrown around this deadline.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Nashville is gonna be pissed off when they realize how much Franson sucks.

Franson is gonna be pissed when no one offers him $5 mil next year.

I'm gonna be pissed if the Leafs give Franson $4.5 or something stupid.

His contract has the potential to be as bad as Clarkson's... but I think that putting him on Nashville for the rest of the season is really going to expose him... so I don't think that anyone is going to offer him big money when he starts getting benched in Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad