Confirmed with Link: [NSH/TOR] Franson and Santorelli for Jokinen, Leipsic, 1st Pt. II

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Komarov is a 3rd line player on any team. He is defensively responsible and can play wing or C. He is a fantastic skater and checks a lot. He lost a step after the concussion.

Komarov is someone you want with a couple of young skilled forwards coming up through the system.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Komarov is a 3rd line player on any team. He is defensively responsible and can play wing or C. He is a fantastic skater and checks a lot. He lost a step after the concussion.

Komarov is someone you want with a couple of young skilled forwards coming up through the system.

Yup.

We aren't competitive like Chicago - If we were he would be one of those "decision" players. And hopefully (I say that because it means we progressed) that when his contract expires he is one of those players - Meaning that there is some very strong competition in our prospect depth.

I say this as a Komarov jersey wearing fan. And hope he doesn't get money hungry because of the over-usage during these down years - If he continues to want 3rd line money, he is our guy and can usher in the revolving door of young, hungry, cheap players.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

We will have to agree to disagree. I think he is a great 4th line player brings energy agitates doesn't take dumb penalties but he's an avg 3rd line player. There are a lot of guys who can skate, and his defensive game is not anything special.

He's a 3rd liner on Toronto I agree but on a contending team he is probably more your 4th liner with the ability to jump into the 3rd line if injury happens. the love affair with this guy is amazing.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We will have to agree to disagree. I think he is a great 4th line player brings energy agitates doesn't take dumb penalties but he's an avg 3rd line player. There are a lot of guys who can skate, and his defensive game is not anything special.

He's a 3rd liner on Toronto I agree but on a contending team he is probably more your 4th liner with the ability to jump into the 3rd line if injury happens. the love affair with this guy is amazing.

Leo Komarov has performed at third line level in pretty much every metric except for shot supression, where he has performed at a very high level. His defense is good, and he's for sure a 3rd liner on average in the NHL. Whether it is enough for a contending team depends on the contender, they are not all built the same.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
2.95 for a guy you know can give you at 13-15 good minutes is fine.

You can't pay all your depth like that, but you have to take advantage of ELC's or take chances that pay off to get much better deal.

Wont matter for the next couple years anyway. His contract won't prevent anything of significance.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
2.95 for a guy you know can give you at 13-15 good minutes is fine.

You can't pay all your depth like that, but you have to take advantage of ELC's or take chances that pay off to get much better deal.

Wont matter for the next couple years anyway. His contract won't prevent anything of significance.

Yeah. And this is pretty much exactly how I feel about the Santorelli deal, adding that both of them are the type of people that add to a quality team character. Having Komarov and Santorelli setting an example of conduct for young players reaching the Leafs is a big plus.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
dont sign any UFA's unless they are 1 yr deals that can be flipped at the deadline. This team is gonna blow next year so play the Carricks, Leivos, Granbergs and Percys etc.

"Next year will be an awful ****storm so let's make sure that it's our young players out there taking the brunt of it."

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm guessing Nashville regrets making this trade today based on a 1st round exit and little contribution from the Leaf players they acquired.

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
"Next year will be an awful ****storm so let's make sure that it's our young players out there taking the brunt of it."
There will be more then enough vets with Robidas, Polak, probably Lupul to go along with Komarov, Kadri, Holland, Panik etc. You dont need to sign crappy UFAs. We will probably also have Cap Dump Vets in any deals involving Kessel and Phaneuf... i.e. Weiss etc

RiellyGood

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
I'm guessing Nashville regrets making this trade today based on a 1st round exit and little contribution from the Leaf players they acquired.

hindsight1.jpg

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
They made the typical deadline deal.....If contending, the 1st is expandable. The fact both players didn't gel is not our concern - but at the time, I figured both would act as solid secondary pieces in a run.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
By their very nature most deadline deals are failures as there is only one Stanley Cup champion. That doesn't mean playoff bound teams shouldn't try to improve at the deadline. The championship is the goal.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, i've no idea why they were trying to supplement their defense when they were already one of the best defensive teams in the league. They should have used the assets on a Phil Kessel instead.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
To be perfectly honest, i've no idea why they were trying to supplement their defense when they were already one of the best defensive teams in the league. They should have used the assets on a Phil Kessel instead.

Nashville was the other team hot for Kessel back in 2009 when Burke brought him to Toronto. Nashville's offer to Boston was a package of prospects and lesser draft picks. Boston preferred Burke's offer of two unprotected 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder. Perhaps David Poile would still be interested.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They made the typical deadline deal.....If contending, the 1st is expandable. The fact both players didn't gel is not our concern - but at the time, I figured both would act as solid secondary pieces in a run.

Leafs might even consider bringing back one or both those players as UFAs this summer as they were effective as Leafs, and it would hurt the rental cost with little return even more.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I don't want Franson back at all July 1st. He's another example of a bad player playing high minutes on a bad team, looking better than he actually is. You really do see the REAL player when they are traded to good teams and play minimal minutes and just straight up suck. He's not the kind of player you win with.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
dont sign any UFA's unless they are 1 yr deals that can be flipped at the deadline. This team is gonna blow next year so play the Carricks, Leivos, Granbergs and Percys etc.

2 years don't hurt so long as the price is right. Nothing to prevent flipping a player with a 2nd year on a contract.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Leafs might even consider bringing back one or both those players as UFAs this summer as they were effective as Leafs, and it would hurt the rental cost with little return even more.

Would you want Franson at 5 Mil ? even 4 ?
I don't think I would want him back at this stage .

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

This season was a ****storm, but next year shouldn't be. The majority of the core should be dismantled by the start the season and the roster will likely be populated by young players who are ready to begin establishing their NHL careers.

Won't likely lead to success in the standings, but I see no reason why guys like Leivo, Percy, Granberg, Carrick, etc. shouldn't be given an opportunity to earn a job on Year 1 of the rebuild.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
2 years don't hurt so long as the price is right. Nothing to prevent flipping a player with a 2nd year on a contract.

Yeah, two-year deals at a reasonable price make sense. They're a bit riskier, but you'd have to think guys like Santorelli and Winnik would have had a ton of value if the acquiring team could have plugged them in on the third line next year at ~ $1 million, too.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
You're allowed (or should be) one contract for a 3rd liner that is special. We have Komarov. The sum of 3rd line should be around 6-7m. Someone will likely take Santa anyways above 2m and that someone should not be us.

Komarov Holland Panik is fine for now.

LOL at everyone treating the cap like it's a prcious resource.
We are entering a REBUILD. Our whole team will be comprised of 2nd and 3rd liners. 3M for a dude like santorelli is nothing on our cap. Once we trade our core we will be struggling to reach the cap floor. 3 years is great term considering we probably won't even challenge for the playoffs in that time frame. He's the exact type of veteran we want on our team.

Why people are complaining about 3x3 is beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad