Confirmed with Link: [NSH/TOR] Franson and Santorelli for Jokinen, Leipsic, 1st Pt. II

Sep 18, 2009
We're going to be a bad team for the next couple years at least. I'd rather a vet take some minutes then Rielly/Percy/Loov/Granberg etc get pummeled night after night.

Theres a limit to the price tag, of course, but a reasonable contract for Franson im OK with.

He is a liability on the ice. You can't have a defense corps full of offensive defensemen. Gardiner needs to get lost too, his offensive production doesn't offset the number of mistakes he makes.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I thought it was weird Nashville adding Franson to such a strong D core, I wasnt surprised he didnt play much - Nashville needed scoring - papa Phil would have done well for them, though not sure what roster piece that would have taken

they scored 21 goals in the first round 3.5 goals per game, that should win you the series most of the time, only Anahiem had a higher goals per game ratio in the first round.

Edit: they also blew 3-0 lead in game one and 3-1 lead in game 6 I think it's safe to say Defense was there problem.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I don't want Franson back. I'd much rather have Santo back. My only hope is that if the Leafs do decide to re-sign Franson that it isn't too long of a term, three years MAX.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I thought it was weird Nashville adding Franson to such a strong D core, I wasnt surprised he didnt play much - Nashville needed scoring - papa Phil would have done well for them, though not sure what roster piece that would have taken

At the time of the trade, Ellis was hurt and his timetable for return kept getting pushed back so Franson was a bit of a need for them. Additionally, teams are always looking to add defensive depth for the playoffs in case of injury (as happened to them with Weber) only by this time they had already realized Franson wasn't working out for them and continued to not play a whole lot.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He is a liability on the ice. You can't have a defense corps full of offensive defensemen. Gardiner needs to get lost too, his offensive production doesn't offset the number of mistakes he makes.

Thanks. The guy is a terrible defender with a really good shot. Modern-day Andy Delmore.

Some team will pay him in the offseason and will regret it for the next 5 years.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Franson wasn't that bad for the Leafs. When you look at a team with a forward group that rarely back checked, refused to take a hit to get the puck out and a first line centre that should be a third you are relying on and people like to blame the defence.

Our defence had issues but the team had issues, no matter which d-man you stick back there they will have difficulty dealing with an NHL forward and sometimes two or three all on their own. Look at the speed other teams entered the Tor zone, how our forwards were incapable of dealing with cycling teams and than look at your team. To say Cody was the problem is absurd, he can play and under five mill over 4-5 years along with Polak is the veteran leadership we need. I would take Brewer back as well as a 7th. Chances are he goes elsewhere.

Fans on this board simply don't take the team in context and all it becomes is an axe grinding exercise, the story gets tiresome.

Franson is awful. Go ask the Preds fans what they think of that trade now.

Dallas Eakins*

Franson can under no circumstances come back he is a physical embodiment of what is wrong with this team like man others are. Sign some dmen in free agency just please pick LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Why is there any speculation of Franson coming back? I don't think we'd take him even if he wanted to come back would he? I mean there's worse things than having him back on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal. He was one of the guys who wasn't part of the loser salute gate group, and he's still entertaining on the PP (nightmare 5 on 5 though lol)

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Thanks. The guy is a terrible defender with a really good shot. Modern-day Andy Delmore.

Some team will pay him in the offseason and will regret it for the next 5 years.

Eh, he's a player with pros and cons. Like any player, he can thrive in the right environment given the right supporting cast. I could see him excelling in Anaheim, Nashville, or Detroit next year. Maybe even Pittsburgh depending on what their offseason looks like.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Eh, he's a player with pros and cons. Like any player, he can thrive in the right environment given the right supporting cast. I could see him excelling in Anaheim, Nashville, or Detroit next year. Maybe even Pittsburgh depending on what their offseason looks like.

Could definitely see him there...Still, all things considered and if Franson was amenable, I wouldn't mind signing him at a reasonable term/price to see what we could turn him for again.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Franson but I don't want him back. I don't want to sign any players for long-term for next few years unless it's someone like Stamkos or Doughty or whatever.

Franson will want a pay day, with good reason, but we can't be that team that makes the splash. We can't make the same mistakes we've done for the last few years, which is be max cap team with zero cap room and anchors on our cap. He may be worth it but in our scenario, he isn't.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
This thread gives me small heart attacks every time I come on here and see the "Confirmed with Link".

I would gladly take Santa back on a 2-3 year deal. Hard worker and rather productive.
Franson on the other hand, I think he seemed to be a good guy but he is not some one we should commit to considering the dollars he will be looking for and the flaws he have in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad