Confirmed Trade: [NSH/OTT/COL] Duchene to OTT, Turris to NSH, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Bowers Girard Hammond Kamenev to COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
They got the best player but also gave up the most and took on the most risk. If they don't make the playoffs or get bounced in the first round and Duchene walks, this is going to look really bad for them.

Turris could get injured his first game and retire, Colorado could miss on the picks and have the prospects not make the jump....this game can be played with all teams yet time and time again on here I keep seeing how poorly Ottawa did getting the best player in this trade lol

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Is Duchene really that much of an upgrade over Turris that Ottawa had to give up all that?

Ottawa is rich rich rich with prospects. They have drafted very well in recent years. "giving up all that" is chump change for Ottawa.

Ottawa traded in their Corolla for a Lexus just before the big race. Sure a poor person might look at it and say it's a waste of money, but to a prospect rich team like Ottawa, it's nothing.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Ottawa is rich rich rich with prospects. They have drafted very well in recent years. "giving up all that" is chump change for Ottawa.

Ottawa traded in their Corolla for a Lexus just before the big race. Sure a poor person might look at it and say it's a waste of money, but to a prospect rich team like Ottawa, it's nothing.

You're drastically overstating the difference between Turris and Duchene in your little metaphor.

Reactions: theswede

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like this move. Ottawa going for it. It's risky, but they are a good team, and this move may make them better. I liked Turris so this will be interesting. But on the surface, Sens got the best player.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
You're drastically overstating the difference between Turris and Duchene in your little metaphor.

Time will tell.... Duchene is a wildcard and has much more upside, considering his trade situation in Colorado and that team's performance in recent years. Turris is a known asset. What you see is what you get. I doubt he'll be any better in Nashville than he was in Ottawa.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The team that gets the best player wins the trade. Looks like Ottawa to me.
Umm No.

Lindros trade says hi. Lindros was considered the best player in that deal, but that trade landed the Avs Peter Forsberg+ a ton of other stuff and won 2 Stanley Cups because of that, so I'd say they won that trade, even though they dealt the supposed best player in the deal.

Just because you give up the best player in a deal doesn't mean you can't win a trade. The Avs got a lot of pieces tough to judge it for at least 5 years. What if Girard becomes an elite offensive dman and Bowers becomes a Kesler like player and we draft some star player with Ottawa's 1st round pick, then it really starts to look lopsided in favor of the Avs. It also could go really bad for the Avs if everyone busts. Only time will tell if this was a good trade or bad one.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
If you can't resign one of your top for whatever reason and you replace him with a player who's at least as good and you only give up magic beans, and not even your best magic beans, then to me it's really a no lose for the Sens, who got the best player in the deal with Duchene.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I love how in all other deals, we always say "the team that gets the best player in the deal, wins"

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl

Considering you pay alot more for a Lexus and only get flashy gadgets, higher than usual maintenance cost and still inherit the same frame as a Toyota, this comparision is great but probably not your intention! :D

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Considering you pay alot more for a Lexus and only get flashy gadgets, higher than usual maintenance cost and still inherit the same frame as a Toyota, this comparision is great but probably not your intention! :D

But the parts in a Lexus last a hell of a lot longer before needing repair than it does in a Toyota. ;)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm just enjoying east coast fans starting to give Duchene the respect his game deserves instead of bashing him mercilessly for the way his numbers imploded after his trade request last year. Yes those knee injuries robbed him off his super-elite speed, but he's still a great skater, he's still incredibly strong on his skates, his hands are still magical, and his goal scoring instincts have only grown from his dynamic first seasons.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
People don't get it eh, Ottawa is absolutely asset rich, we just upgraded our center ice position and kept our 4-5 elite level prospects (We are talking an estimated #1 dman, #1 Center, #2 Center #3 Center Top 6 Winger in the next 2 years), add in we got the best player and moved a piece out not in our long term plans...95% of Ottawa fans are very pleased with this deal.

The bias shows on here in that Nashville is being praised to the heavens, yet pound for pound we are just as good and likely have a better center ice than them.

Except the difference is Ottawa paid the price, and only received modest gains over who they already had. Duchene is the better player, but it's not like Turris is some chump. Nashville on the other hand paid the price, but received someone significantly better then who they already had. That is why they're being praised to the heavens.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

That is my intention. Turris and Duchene are close, and to most other teams they are similar. But to Ottawa, who's been looking to upgrade at this position for a long time, that small difference is worth the cost. Especially considering Ottawa is rich with prospects.

To the average person, the cost/return between a Toyota and a Lexus is not worth it. To a rich person, it doesn't matter.

In hockey, the higher up the scale you go, the more your returns are diminished. Upgrading from a 1a/1b guy to a legit 1C is going to cost much more than upgrading from a 2C to a 1a/1b guy. When's the last time someone of Duchene's caliber was on the market? In his prime? With a couple years left on a decent contract? All things considered, Ottawa really didn't pay that much to upgrade. Just some prospect who wasn't even in their top5, a late 1st and a 3rd? All a bunch of spare parts to Ottawa.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Except the difference is Ottawa paid the price, and only received modest gains over who they already had. Duchene is the better player, but it's not like Turris is some chump. Nashville on the other hand paid the price, but received someone significantly better then who they already had. That is why they're being praised to the heavens.

Ottawa did pay the price, but they could afford it, and they got the best asset.

Nashville got the best bargain.

Colorado got their money's worth out of a bad situation.

Everyone got what they wanted.

Reactions: cgf and Riptide

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm just enjoying east coast fans starting to give Duchene the respect his game deserves instead of bashing him mercilessly for the way his numbers imploded after his trade request last year. Yes those knee injuries robbed him off his super-elite speed, but he's still a great skater, he's still incredibly strong on his skates, his hands are still magical, and his goal scoring instincts have only grown from his dynamic first seasons.
Excited!

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
But the parts in a Lexus last a hell of a lot longer before needing repair than it does in a Toyota. ;)

My personnal experience would disagree (small sample size) but I also don't renember seeing a MTL 1-b center being traded for a longer lasting 1-A center either :D

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They got the best player but also gave up the most and took on the most risk. If they don't make the playoffs or get bounced in the first round and Duchene walks, this is going to look really bad for them.

Not really. Turris wasn't coming back next season... which means even if Duchene walks, they paid a 1st, Bowers and a 3rd (although that was more to get rid of Hammond then anything) to get 1.8 years of Duchene. Teams have paid a lot more than that for rentals that lasted a lot less time then the 19 months that they'll have Duchene for.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
In hockey, the higher up the scale you go, the more your returns are diminished. Upgrading from a 1a/1b guy to a legit 1C is going to cost much more than upgrading from a 2C to a 1a/1b guy.

Very true, and something that people regularly overlook.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Not really. Turris wasn't coming back next season... which means even if Duchene walks, they paid a 1st, Bowers and a 3rd (although that was more to get rid of Hammond then anything) to get 1.8 years of Duchene. Teams have paid a lot more than that for rentals that lasted a lot less time then the 19 months that they'll have Duchene for.

People are focusing way too much on the Turris contract negotiations. They didn't sign Turris because they wanted to trade him. Not the other way around. Dorion admitted that he was talking to Nashville in September, before negotiations with Turris started. If Ottawa wasn't looking to move Turris, I'm confident an agreement would have been reached. Neither side even tried to offer the 6x6 deal. Negotiations were never serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad