Confirmed Trade: [NSH/OTT/COL] Duchene to OTT, Turris to NSH, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Bowers Girard Hammond Kamenev to COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So will this trade be the new Larsson for Hall trade on HF, ie the value fans of a team expect when they trade someone?

Duchene fetched all this so if you want x you have to give up...

Reactions: Ivan13

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Sure the sens and the preds did pay a sky rocketing price ... but the price for sens is a stepback that could hurt badly, wich is not the preds situation.

For all those squishing habs fan in the corner we will answer this : the best trade is the one you do not do. I hope for sens that july 1st 2019 won't mean a Duchene in Montreal 'cause the backlash of the words here will be a jab in the face for Ottawa fans.

How is it a stepback for the Sens? They got the better player and didn't give up a roster player or any of their 6 or 7 best prospects.

It's not like how the Habs traded their one good prospect for a winger and forced him to play center.

Reactions: branch

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Looks like Sens fans are happy, same appears to be able to be said for Nashville and Colorado fans (I think they both did well and its looking like everyone addressed their needs here), all of these other fans telling us how poorly we did are jealous is all.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Sure the sens and the preds did pay a sky rocketing price ... but the price for sens is a stepback that could hurt badly, wich is not the preds situation.

For all those squishing habs fan in the corner we will answer this : the best trade is the one you do not do. I hope for sens that july 1st 2019 won't mean a Duchene in Montreal 'cause the backlash of the words here will be a jab in the face for Ottawa fans.

Not a setback for the Sens in the least. That can't be stressed enough to people who don't know Ottawa's situation.

Here are Ottawa's top prospects: 1.Chabot 2.Brown 3.White then there's a pack of about 6 others that have done amazingly well Formenton, Englund, Harpur, Jaros, Chlapik, Batherson, Lajoie. Then there's the tier below that.

In other words Ottawa can draft - and draft well. So the notion that this hurts Ottawa in any way is not true. Bowers might be a B prospect - and a decent one, but he's redundant in Ottawa's system. The 1st is collateral damage to get a top ranked player in this league.

And lol about July 1st and Montreal. Ottawa didn't acquire this player without having a long, long talk with his agent (off the record of course, I'm sure). You can circle July 2019 on your calender all you want, the Sens just opened up Turris' money just for Duchene.

Reactions: branch

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Just because you have a lot of assets doesn't mean that you didn't give up a ton to go from Turris to Duchene.

They're going to do it again too - and soon. There's a glut of D-men in Ottawa's system, an absolute logjam of players that the organization (and fans, not that that matters at all) have seen and really like.

Harpur is a 6'6" behemoth that is mobile, Jaros is a 6'3" guy who can skate and land great hits, Claesson has slowly developed into a near top 4 (soon, IMO), Ceci plays heavy 25 minute nights in the top 4, Lajoie played incredibly well in pre-season, Englund is another big, Swedish D-man. Add those to Karlsson, Phaneuf, Boro and there's gonna be a logjam and soon.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Just because you have a lot of assets doesn't mean that you didn't give up a ton to go from Turris to Duchene.

They did give up a lot of assests, but just because they gave up a lot doesn't mean it's a bad deal for them. I think thats the point he was making.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Haters are going to hate, but the thing is, the Sens are going for the cup. That much is clear now.

Let's do a little exercise. Let's look at recent cup winners (and contenders) and see how many of them haven't bottomed out to get one or more franchise players:

Teams that bottomed out:

Past winners:
Pittsburgh - Malkin, Crosby
LA - Doughty
Chicago - Kane, Towes, Keith

Current contenders:
Tampa - Stamkos
Washington - Ovie
Toronto - Matthews
Edmonton (don't look like it now, but let's go with it) - McDavid
Columbus - don't really have any stars but they sucked for years and stockpiled high picks.

Teams that didn't bottom out:

Winners:

Boston
Anaheim
Detroit

Current contenders:

Ottawa
St. Louis
Nashville

What does the latter group have in common? They all drafted well in the late rounds and made aggressive trades.

Ottawa doesn't have the luxury of bottoming out. They have a superstar in Karlsson. Letting Turris walk without getting at least as good of a player in return would have been a disaster. It may have been the difference between EK staying or leaving.

When you don't get to build a team the easy way, you have to make tough decisions and get creative. It may seem like an overpayment, but as others have said, Ottawa's prospect pool is "A" quality right now. Teams like Ottawa, Boston, Nashville etc can afford to make these types of deals because they scout and draft well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So what is the quality of assets that Colorado added outside of the picks? I don't know much about those players/prospects outside of Hammond.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Clearly, Sens management thinks so.

Even if he is only marginally better, Turris was not resigning in Ottawa. It was Duchene or bust really. If the Sens let that opportunity pass, they likely would have been left with dealing Turris at the draft for the typical deadline package of: late 1st rounder, prospect, and another pick or prospect.

Turris was a declining asset for the Sens. By February, they likely wouldn't have even got a roster player for him.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Its all about EK ...All of our bigger players need contracts in 2 seasons,If EK doesnt want to resign here ,then we will be having a massive firesale at the TD.And look to start the rebuild

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I have not weighed in on this trade, but I have read the many pages of bickering and snipes back and forth between fans who are proclaiming one team won or one team lost this trade.

Personally, I think this is one of the few situations in which every team can walk away satisfied with the results. Nashville filled a direct hole in their lineup with Turris, as a second line center or 1b center long term. Nashville has about a complete a team that you will see IMO in the cap era for purposes of competing for the SC.

Ottawa wanted to shake things up a bit and did not want to commit big dollars to Turris for their own particular reasons. They subbed him out with Matt Duchene, who is a little younger and perhaps a little more dynamic at times. They also pick up the security of an extra contract year so that they can sort out the salary cap and long term contract commitment issues that they have looming in the next year or so. The trade buys Ottawa some more time to make strategic decisions while still enabling them to compete during the interim.

Neither Nashville nor Ottawa gave up what I would characterize as an overpayment from their prospect pool or future picks. The package from either team would not have been much for Colorado by itself, but Colorado was able to leverage the three team scenario and effectively double, or at least significantly increase its return package.

Colorado did well with a purely futures packages, which is somewhat consistent with what Sakic has indicated he wanted to do. Perhaps it is a little heavier on futures than he would have liked, but he compensated by increasing the number of future assets to mitigate some of the risk, at least somewhat.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have not weighed in on this trade, but I have read the many pages of bickering and snipes back and forth between fans who are proclaiming one team won or one team lost this trade.

Personally, I think this is one of the few situations in which every team can walk away satisfied with the results. Nashville filled a direct hole in their lineup with Turris, as a second line center or 1b center long term. Nashville has about a complete a team that you will see IMO in the cap era for purposes of competing for the SC.

Ottawa wanted to shake things up a bit and did not want to commit big dollars to Turris for their own particular reasons. They subbed him out with Matt Duchene, who is a little younger and perhaps a little more dynamic at times. They also pick up the security of an extra contract year so that they can sort out the salary cap and long term contract commitment issues that they have looming in the next year or so. The trade buys Ottawa some more time to make strategic decisions while still enabling them to compete during the interim.

Neither Nashville nor Ottawa gave up what I would characterize as an overpayment from their prospect pool or future picks. The package from either team would not have been much for Colorado by itself, but Colorado was able to leverage the three team scenario and effectively double, or at least significantly increase its return package.

Colorado did well with a purely futures packages, which is somewhat consistent with what Sakic has indicated he wanted to do. Perhaps it is a little heavier on futures than he would have liked, but he compensated by increasing the number of future assets to mitigate some of the risk, at least somewhat.
Great post...

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
So what is the quality of assets that Colorado added outside of the picks? I don't know much about those players/prospects outside of Hammond.
Girard is a good, young dman. He moves the puck well and is a good skater. Kamenev is a decent prospect. Bowers was drafted in the 1st round last year. I’m not too sure about him, though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Girard is a good, young dman. He moves the puck well and is a good skater. Kamenev is a decent prospect. Bowers was drafted in the 1st round last year. I’m not too sure about him, though.
Bowers is a very safe bet to be an NHLer, he will play for the Avalanche.

His ceiling is essentially a 2nd line guy, but his realistic potential is 3rd/4th liner. It's not that he is a "bad" prospect, because the Sens obviously had to give up a good prospect to get Duchene, and the Sens thought highly enough to spend a 1st on him (Dorian also tempered expectations early saying our 1st wasn't going to be a Chabot/White type player). It's that the Sens seem to be enamored with Formenton, and Batherson is looking to be a guy management thinks very highly of. Both were mentioned as guys they went out of their way to keep in regards to the trade. These 2 picks from the 2017 class for the Sens made giving up Bowers easier.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The team that gets the best player wins the trade. Looks like Ottawa to me.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The team that gets the best player wins the trade. Looks like Ottawa to me.
They got the best player but also gave up the most and took on the most risk. If they don't make the playoffs or get bounced in the first round and Duchene walks, this is going to look really bad for them.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think everyone won.

Ottawa got a younger center 1A center that they wanted. Now they can roll 1A, 1B and not 1B, 1B.
Nashville got a solid 2 way center to fill the hole needed between RyJo and Bonino
Colorado got 2 solid prospects and a bunch of picks to help speed up the rebuild.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
As an aside, it sounds as if the weight of the world was on Duchene's shoulders and now he can relax and get back to playing the game he loves. I don't think anyone should discount how much that could mean for a player and his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad