Confirmed Trade: [NSH/OTT/COL] Duchene to OTT, Turris to NSH, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Bowers Girard Hammond Kamenev to COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
Sure the sens and the preds did pay a sky rocketing price ... but the price for sens is a stepback that could hurt badly, wich is not the preds situation.

For all those squishing habs fan in the corner we will answer this : the best trade is the one you do not do. I hope for sens that july 1st 2019 won't mean a Duchene in Montreal 'cause the backlash of the words here will be a jab in the face for Ottawa fans.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Think the biggest takeaway is opposing teams fans should respect avs fans value of their own players. We were told o’reilly and duchene werent going to get anywhere close to what we expected and we ended up doing much better than everyone thought. That seems rare as well since usually when a star player is moved, majority of people think the return was underwhelming

Reactions: MacBradley

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Sure the sens and the preds did pay a sky rocketing price ... but the price for sens is a stepback that could hurt badly, wich is not the preds situation.

I don't think the Preds paid a high price for ~7 years of Turris at all.

For all those squishing habs fan in the corner we will answer this : the best trade is the one you do not do. I hope for sens that july 1st 2019 won't mean a Duchene in Montreal 'cause the backlash of the words here will be a jab in the face for Ottawa fans.

What in the world? The best trade is the one you do not do? And Duchene is probably heading to Montreal in 2019, huh? Whatever helps you sleep at night man.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That's a hell of a return to COL for Duchene. Sakic did great.

Given the circumstances yes, he got a good return. However, it's still all futures...we'll have to wait 5+ years to properly judge it from the Avs end.

Reactions: MacBradley

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Hey, Marc Bergevin is your GM.

As a result, acquiring a top line C is impossible.

Mais je suis heureux de voir que tu as une petite lueur au bout du tunnel si ça peux t'aider à dormir pour les 2 prochaines années en attendant que Price et Weber arrivent dans la trentaine.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

While I agree that there's a big difference in terms of Ottawa and Nashville's situation... mainly due to the players respective contracts... how would it be a step back that could Ottawa? Turris didn't get signed because the owner is cheap, he didn't get signed because either the GM or the owner (or both?) didn't feel that he was worth the 7/8 year deal at 6m+ that he was looking for.

Meanwhile Dorion has had a 2 yr love affair with Duchene. Unless he absolutely refuses to sign, he will get extended - likely this summer. And if for some reason they can't get a deal done... all they really need him for is to show Karlsson that they're moving in the right direction and to get him to sign a deal. After that they could easily flip him and recover the assets they traded away. And even if the hang onto him and let him walk as a UFA in 20 months... a 1st, 3rd and a prospect isn't the end of the world.

Besides... Ottawa didn't give up any of their top prospects, the pick should be a late one, and Bowers is very replaceable in Ottawa's system. The 2019 3rd isn't even worth mentioning. So how exactly does this "hurt badly" ??

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

Hurt badly? What? The assets Ottawa gave up other than Turris are largely negligible. A late 1st, Bowers, and a 3rd are unlikely to amount to much more than a 3rd or 4th line player. Bowers was not one of our top prospects...in fact, he was probably passed by our 2nd round pick Formenton and Drake Batherson (later round pick) fairly early into the season.

Now if Duchene has zero chemistry with anyone, yes it would be a bad trade, because then he'd be just like Kyle Turris here.

The reality is, there was a lot of quantity going over to Colorado, but nobody that is going to replace or become better than Duchene.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

I'm honestly not sure why Montreal is even a topic of discussion in here.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Montreal is one of Ottawa's rival teams.

I get that, but over the past two days it seems like a few Habs fans have tried to make this trade about their team. Just... just don't. Not everything has to trace back to Montreal. I promise the world won't end if we don't play Six Degrees of Les Habitants.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I get that, but over the past two days it seems like a few Habs fans have tried to make this trade about their team. Just... just don't. Not everything has to trace back to Montreal. I promise the world won't end if we don't play Six Degrees of Les Habitants.

Just ignore them. Don't waste time on those people.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

They have been after a top line C for years now.

They are understandably miffed that boring Ottawa managed to get one without giving up any top prospects or roster players outside of Turris (who was not staying).

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
People don't get it eh, Ottawa is absolutely asset rich, we just upgraded our center ice position and kept our 4-5 elite level prospects (We are talking an estimated #1 dman, #1 Center, #2 Center #3 Center Top 6 Winger in the next 2 years), add in we got the best player and moved a piece out not in our long term plans...95% of Ottawa fans are very pleased with this deal.

The bias shows on here in that Nashville is being praised to the heavens, yet pound for pound we are just as good and likely have a better center ice than them.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
That's a hell of a return to COL for Duchene. Sakic did great.

he did a hell of a job this is a great trade for them

I think I'm alone on an island here, but I really don't see how Colorado did that well in this trade. Note that I don't know anything about Bowers, so there's that.

Girard will be a good top-4. Good get. After that, it's a bunch of "meh". Though it's still early, we've been waiting on Kamenev to excite us, but so far, he's panning out to be an OK #3 center. Though it's early, I've had zero problem including him in many trades that have been proposed lately. The first is nice, but that could easily turn out to be a later first. The second and third are just add-ons to me.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
People don't get it eh, Ottawa is absolutely asset rich, we just upgraded our center ice position and kept our 4-5 elite level prospects (We are talking an estimated #1 dman, #1 Center, #2 Center #3 Center Top 6 Winger in the next 2 years), add in we got the best player and moved a piece out not in our long term plans...95% of Ottawa fans are very pleased with this deal.

The bias shows on here in that Nashville is being praised to the heavens, yet pound for pound we are just as good and likely have a better center ice than them.

Just because you have a lot of assets doesn't mean that you didn't give up a ton to go from Turris to Duchene.

Last edited:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Just because you have a lot of assets doesn't mean that you didn't gave up a ton to go from Turris to Duchene.

I agree. If someone is saying that Ottawa is going to be hurt long-term for the upgrade from Turris to Duchene I have to call bullshit. It's possible, but there's no way of knowing it right now and signs point toward the opposite being true.

If someone is saying, however, that Ottawa paid a pretty high price to slot Duchene in where Turris was, I don't think there is any way of actually disputing that. They did give up a lot. Losing Turris is masked by gainng Duchene, but they still traded Turris along with everything else. It was a pretty high price tag.

A high price tag doesn't mean the fans can't enjoy it, though.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hurt badly? What? The assets Ottawa gave up other than Turris are largely negligible. A late 1st, Bowers, and a 3rd are unlikely to amount to much more than a 3rd or 4th line player. Bowers was not one of our top prospects...in fact, he was probably passed by our 2nd round pick Formenton and Drake Batherson (later round pick) fairly early into the season.

Now if Duchene has zero chemistry with anyone, yes it would be a bad trade, because then he'd be just like Kyle Turris here.

The reality is, there was a lot of quantity going over to Colorado, but nobody that is going to replace or become better than Duchene.

Yeah, that’s what people said when we traded Lindros. There are a lot fewer pieces headed our way in this one, but you guys aren’t getting Lindros either. But, similar to that deal, we’ll see what comes of the best asset in it, Girard. He has the potential to become the pp qb we so sorely need and could put up similar offensive numbers as Barrie. If that happens, we’ve pretty much replaced Duchene’s production before we even look at the other 5 pieces. Some of those pieces will be used as the lottery tickets they are. Others will be used in trades to fill gaps. I don’t expect the Duchene trade tree to exist for 25 years, but I expect it’ll be around a while. Assets are assets, and it takes more than elite players to win games.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think that no one would have batted an eye if the final result did not include the Sens 3rd and with them keeping Kamenev or the 2nd -Turris for 2nd+Kamenev+Girard --> Duchene for 1st+2nd/Kamenev+Bowers+Girard+Hammond. Things were just a little skewed in the Avs favour.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think Girard's skating ability is going to be enough to overcome his size considering the direction the NHL has been taking. He would do well to put on some weight, sure, but his skating is ridiculously good. He's almost at Josi-level.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I agree. If someone is saying that Ottawa is going to be hurt long-term for the upgrade from Turris to Duchene I have to call bull****. It's possible, but there's no way of knowing it right now and signs point toward the opposite being true.

If someone is saying, however, that Ottawa paid a pretty high price to slot Duchene in where Turris was, I don't think there is any way of actually disputing that. They did give up a lot. Losing Turris is masked by gainng Duchene, but they still traded Turris along with everything else. It was a pretty high price tag.

A high price tag doesn't mean the fans can't enjoy it, though.

I think some assume that all of your draft picks must be used by your own team and all will inevitably work out, we are loaded with young talent and likely will not have many spots open for younger players over the next 3-5 years....we are talking at most 3 forward positions and 2 defensive positions.....then you look at our prospects and see those spots are essentially spoken for....picks and prospects way down the list then become expendable. We are reaping the rewards of our quality drafting over the last several seasons here. It is a high price but I view it as the price you gotta pay to acquire elite talent.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It would suggest to me that Turris wanted out. So, if that is the case, then Ottawa/Dorion's assessment that they would never come to terms seems correct.

Or maybe Dorion never wanted to sign Turris in the first place, and was always looking for an upgrade. Obviously doing a sign and trade (like Hossa-Heatley) would have looked bad, and not even trying to negotiate would have tanked Turris' value.

That is the other possibility.

except that Ottawa is paying more for Duchene then they were for turris and Hammond combined.

As has been said many times, Ottawa had the 6x6 offer on the table for turris. But turris demanded the extra year, which is what caused hesitation for the sens.

I didn't hear that in the Dorion presser. See below.

Turris said this morning that Dorion never offered a 6 year deal. So the deal was never tabled by either side.

I think the Sens just believe Duchene is that much better. I guess we'll find out by end of next year if it was worth it

It is odd that neither side through out the idea of a 6 year contract.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There's really nothing out there to suggest Turris wanted out. Just Kurt Overhadrt doing Kurt Overhardt things, driving a divide in-between his client and the organization they play for.

Noted & its a reasonable & relevant point to make. I made another post (above) with another alternative idea.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

The way to look at this to me personally is that while we got a lot of quantity and not exactly one of the high end prospects from either team (Fiala, Fabbro, White, Brown, Chabot, etc), we did get a ton of good prospects. The more lottery tickets you get the more likely to win something, even if you win another scratch off ticket down the road. 6 potential players, that's almost an entire draft class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad