Now is probably the time to finally go all-in

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Lol.

Thanks for the philosophy lesson sweet heart.

I'm 36 years old. Pretty sure I understand the pain points also. The nhl is different than 1990, so if you have a shot to go for it, especially when you will have 1 player next year taking up 1/6 of the payroll, you do what you can to win now
Im 59. You werent even born when we won our first cup that explains alot. Not only was I alive I was in the building and working for the team

That's why perspective matters

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
We have probably the best team many of us have seen in quite some time and we're arguing like little babies. Who gives a **** if someone is OG or whatever. We're all members here.

Let's all get together and have a beer while we watch this team **** **** up. You can throw down in the parking lot afterwards.
Amen pw. as always Youre All Class.

I just hate when someone recommends the same strategy Milbury used. I'm all for trades but calmly approached and we'll thought out ones. Not haphazard Kirk Miller ones

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Im 59. You werent even born when we won our first cup that explains alot. Not only was I alive I was in the building and working for the team

That's why perspective matters

Ha funny

The fact that your 59, actually proves my point. The game is completely different. Salaries, caps, FA completely different. There are no more dynasties. While I'm sure Arbour and Torrey are lucky to have had you help build these teams :rolleyes:, the league is much much different.

Ultimately, to use that I "wasnt born when we won a cup" is a cop out. So when I was most impressionable, I didn't jump ship. What makes your experience "more of a fan" then mine?

Also, my grandfather uses to check tickets at games while he was also a FDNY. He was there for every cup. He didn't say he "worked for the team." Unless you can put some meat behind that inference, I call BS.

Reactions: Svengoolie

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Ha funny

The fact that your 59, actually proves my point. The game is completely different. Salaries, caps, FA completely different. There are no more dynasties. While I'm sure Arbour and Torrey are lucky to have had you help build these teams :rolleyes:, the league is much much different.

Ultimately, to use that I "wasnt born when we won a cup" is a cop out. So when I was most impressionable, I didn't jump ship. What makes your experience "more of a fan" then mine?

Also, my grandfather uses to check tickets at games while he was also a FDNY. He was there for every cup. He didn't say he "worked for the team." Unless you can put some meat behind that inference, I call BS.
call whatever you want.

The People who know me know Its true .

Thats All that matters

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Ha, except no one does.

What was your previous handle?
Costigan I can tell from his last few posts, which prove it more that you were right. Dont waste your time. He is just randomly picking certain posters and calling them "true Islanders." He is just looking to start trouble and arguments. I got suckered into it, but now I am done. What 59 year old do you know that writes/acts this way?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
We have probably the best team many of us have seen in quite some time and we're arguing like little babies. Who gives a **** if someone is OG or whatever. We're all members here.

Let's all get together and have a beer while we watch this team **** **** up. You can throw down in the parking lot afterwards.

You're not a mod anymore, you don't have to be peacemaker. ;)

Reactions: dano16

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
How's the air on that high high pedestal you think you're on? Lack of oxygen might explain a lot.
Costigan I can tell from his last few posts, which prove it more that you were right. Dont waste your time. He is just randomly picking certain posters and calling them "true Islanders." He is just looking to start trouble and arguments. I got suckered into it, but now I am done. What 59 year old do you know that writes/acts this way?
How do you think I know who to call out?

It's in your posts. It's that Milbury like thought process. It's not you I have anything against. But that thought process

You need to look at his trades and when he made them if you did that you'd understand why I do it

I have nothing against trades but they need to be thought out and evaluated. If you don't do that you end up with Kirk Muller

You'd be surprised with how many agree with that line of thinking

Why is this year any more important than last year or next year fact is it's not.

Anyone who thinks like that is short-changing the process. Bill Torrey once said he agonized over the butch goring trade for nearly a year and a half, before he actually did it.

Thats What Im Talking About

Last edited:

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I think that everybody agree that the top 6F and top 2D are untouchable (at least right now).

Frankly speaking, I don't know who should be traded and for whom (especially the last part). But I tend to agree with the main premise of this thread: when you have your "Crosby and Malkin" making together (right now) less than Krejci or Stasny alone – it's very tempting to "finally go-in".

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

Donald Trump's age on the Access Hollywood bus.... 59

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I think that everybody agree that the top 6F and top 2D are untouchable (at least right now).

Frankly speaking, I don't know who should be traded and for whom (especially the last part). But I tend to agree with the main premise of this thread: when you have your "Crosby and Malkin" making together (right now) less than Krejci or Stasny alone – it's very tempting to "finally go-in".
See this makes sense. But you still don't short-change the process. I'd be all for a trade that Snow vetted completely and felt he had proper evaluation on. But you just don't jump in and make a rash move without knowing. How does he know if OEL will Sign here or anything like that until Arizona is ready to do something and allows it. All you can do is do your due diligence and be ready to adapt to whatever opportunities arise if they make sense at the time.

It's foolish to force something just because you feel pressured to do something because your tired of waiting. That's when mistakes are made

And that's what I see in some of our fans. Not well reasoned readiness but panic that this may be our last chance.

imetbossy

Mar 13, 2012
How amazing would it have been if we had kept the best 4th line in hockey together ? Imagine lines 1 and 2 clicking as they do, and line 4 pounding and agitating as they did .. That said, I way I see it is that we are only 3 players away from being a serious and complete team ..(1) Need a real , playoff caliber goalie. (2)Need a bonafide "tough guy "to round out line 4. Then finally a similar player / grinder w speed to round out line3. As for now, we are a two line team (and a great 2 lines they are)... OEL and Others will not bring us to the next level. Perhaps a crease clearing D man will ..

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Woooo love the pissing contests right now, brings me back to when I first joined this place.

I honestly don't want to see this team go all in......yet. They are rolling right now. No need to break up the chemistry. A couple minor deadline deals for a #5 or 3rd line/PK center would be a big help in the playoffs.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
When thinking about it, until JT is signed, the Islanders have to protect their long term assets which in my view younger players, propects and includes draft picks. I saw that written somewhere and it makes sense. Going all in entails perhaps parting ways with prospects and picks for veterans to try to win now. That is exactly opposite of what you want to do with JT possibly leaving for nothing.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
See this makes sense. But you still don't short-change the process. I'd be all for a trade that Snow vetted completely and felt he had proper evaluation on. But you just don't jump in and make a rash move without knowing. How does he know if OEL will Sign here or anything like that until Arizona is ready to do something and allows it. All you can do is do your due diligence and be ready to adapt to whatever opportunities arise if they make sense at the time.

It's foolish to force something just because you feel pressured to do something because your tired of waiting. That's when mistakes are made

And that's what I see in some of our fans. Not well reasoned readiness but panic that this may be our last chance.
I can understand the fans. Looking at CapFriendly and seeing 5.5M in front of the name of the best player this franchise has seen since the Dynasty, the fans say – why not?

Backed up by a kid at ELC, a kid regularly compared to Lafontaine – why not?

Trading future means trading your picks. When you have someone's picks, again – why not?

If they continue to play at the level they play now, expect the pressure going up and up.

I don't advertise any trades (don't fix what ain't broken), but given all those picks Snow collected for Duchene, just let's hope he spends them wisely, on Carter-type moves and not on a Shattenkirk.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I can understand the fans. Looking at CapFriendly and seeing 5.5M in front of the name of the best player this franchise has seen since the Dynasty, the fans say – why not?

Backed up by a kid at ELC, a kid regularly compared to Lafontaine – why not?

Trading future means trading your picks. When you have someone's picks, again – why not?

If they continue to play at the level they play now, expect the pressure going up and up.

I don't advertise any trades (don't fix what ain't broken), but given all those picks Snow collected for Duchene, just let's hope he spends them wisely, on Carter-type moves and not on a Shattenkirk.

wholeheartedly agree, If you tell me he's given it full consideration and not a kneejerk reaction im fine with it.

I just believe he's waiting until he knows what JT is doing

if JT signs i fully expect Snow to overpay for OEL but if JT goes than his Priorities change and then he needs to re-evaluate. I see that as the most logical course doing anything else is a panic move

nobody he can acquire this season makes JT stay if he doesnt want to. so whats the rush.

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
When thinking about it, until JT is signed, the Islanders have to protect their long term assets which in my view younger players, propects and includes draft picks. I saw that written somewhere and it makes sense. Going all in entails perhaps parting ways with prospects and picks for veterans to try to win now. That is exactly opposite of what you want to do with JT possibly leaving for nothing.

best post in this thread

absolutely. never negotiate from a position of weakness and uncertainty. its a recipe for disaster

always act with patience and forethought, as branch rickey said good luck is the residue of design

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad