Now is probably the time to finally go all-in

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The reason not to go all in (whatever that means) is that there isn't much available. Only Buffalo and Arizona are completely out of it. Montreal just climbed back in. Eventually some others will drop out. It's just too early.

NYI really need that Matt Cullen type of player. Andrew Cogliano would fit the bill nicely if the Ducks drop out of it. (I'm not a Vermette fan).

It's amazing, actually, (the superstitious will complain) that the Islanders have avoided injuries other than Kulemin and Cizikas so far.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
nobody he can acquire this season makes JT stay if he doesnt want to. so whats the rush.
Agree fully with the quoted part. JT staying does not depend on OEL (or even Karlsson). Fans should stop entertaining ideas of bringing this-or-that to appease JT. This-or-that should be brought on solely to improve the team.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Agree fully with the quoted part. JT staying does not depend on OEL (or even Karlsson). Fans should stop entertaining ideas of bringing this-or-that to appease JT. This-or-that should be brought on solely to improve the team.

i get it. I fully understand that Islanders fans really dont want to lose him. Id be surprised if there's even one of us who hasnt made a thousand scenarios in our heads doing just that. I know because Ive done it too.

but it doesnt work and it never has so why even consider it. its just so much wasted energy

funny thing is if we act with the best interests of the franchise and act wisely and with forethought we could end up with the best of both worlds

only if we act rashly can we lose everything

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
i get it. I fully understand that Islanders fans really dont want to lose him. Id be surprised if there's even one of us who hasnt made a thousand scenarios in our heads doing just that. I know because Ive done it too.

One right here. I kicked the thought around for about a minute.... and came to the conclusion that as long as management was taken care of (it was in spades), the Islanders play like they did the second half (done up to this point) and ownership shows they are committed to making this franchise better (improved roster, money spent on practice facility and attempt at Belmont). Tavares is signing here.

Not only is he going to re-sign, but he's going to do it for less money than people expect. The idea that he has/had to do it the moment he was eligible is rediculous, and we have a media that is all too willing to use this "story" to burn up ink. Last time it was Stamkos, next you can already see it will be Doughty or Karlsson. The media needs a juicy story to sell and this is low hanging fruit for them.

The Barclays situation is waaaay overblown. Tavares and many others have stated the ice is just as bad or worse in other venues, and other teams travel similar distances to get to the rink. Belmont does not have to happen for him to re-sign, he knows the team isn't moving to another city. He sees ownership is all in and willing to spend, he's comfortable here, this is a team on the rise with more young players coming in on the horizon.

The only scenerio where he leaves: The Islanders tank the rest of the season, Snow sells off half the team and ownership takes more of a back seat approach where they spend to the cap floor and go into a rebuild mode.

Anyone see that happening? No? Then relax

Reactions: 72hockey guy

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Also, anyone notice there are no more threads on the main board talking about how over rated JT is? Wait until he re-signs. Everyone penciling him into their lineup right now will turn on him like scorned teenager.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
One right here. I kicked the thought around for about a minute.... and came to the conclusion that as long as management was taken care of (it was in spades), the Islanders play like they did the second half (done up to this point) and ownership shows they are committed to making this franchise better (improved roster, money spent on practice facility and attempt at Belmont). Tavares is signing here.

Not only is he going to re-sign, but he's going to do it for less money than people expect. The idea that he has/had to do it the moment he was eligible is rediculous, and we have a media that is all too willing to use this "story" to burn up ink. Last time it was Stamkos, next you can already see it will be Doughty or Karlsson. The media needs a juicy story to sell and this is low hanging fruit for them.

The Barclays situation is waaaay overblown. Tavares and many others have stated the ice is just as bad or worse in other venues, and other teams travel similar distances to get to the rink. Belmont does not have to happen for him to re-sign, he knows the team isn't moving to another city. He sees ownership is all in and willing to spend, he's comfortable here, this is a team on the rise with more young players coming in on the horizon.

The only scenerio where he leaves: The Islanders tank the rest of the season, Snow sells off half the team and ownership takes more of a back seat approach where they spend to the cap floor and go into a rebuild mode.

Anyone see that happening? No? Then relax

jester I admit we havent always seen eye to eye. and that is at least half my fault (i admit it im a stubborn cuss) but when youre right youre right

BEAUTIFUL POST

PS even when we have disagreed Ive ALWAYS respected that you love the Islanders just as much if not more than me

I tend to be more passionate even disagreeing when talking to someone I respect

darth who was like a brother I fought all the time with....ask crew

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Don't worry, Mulletman will be up to his usual BS with his agenda against JT. He's like a mosquito trying to bite an elephant's ass - I love that phrase. Thanks Butchie.

PW do you EVER lose your temper even a little

Ive known you for god knows how long, and you never are anything but perfectly composed.

its kinda scary

Impressive as all get out

but scary nonetheless

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
jester I admit we havent always seen eye to eye. and that is at least half my fault (i admit it im a stubborn cuss) but when youre right youre right

BEAUTIFUL POST

PS even when we have disagreed Ive ALWAYS respected that you love the Islanders just as much if not more than me

I tend to be more passionate even disagreeing when talking to someone I respect

darth who was like a brother I fought all the time with....ask crew

Where the hell is Darth anyway?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
PW do you EVER lose your temper even a little

Ive known you for god knows how long, and you never are anything but perfectly composed.

its kinda scary

Impressive as all get out

but scary nonetheless

Haha, you don't know me at all then. I'm a freaking basket case that needs my head examined - according to a poster in the GDT for wanting Seidenberg over Hickey. I do have a temper and it's big. All the kimchee over the years, spiced up the blood.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Where the hell is Darth anyway?
last we talked he was in San Diego he's a big deal professor as you probably know but then he got busy and we lost touch, he got tired with some of the crap on here as we all do. but he does pop on from time to time. just not much. I miss the big guy.

hes a true mensch

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Haha, you don't know me at all then. I'm a freaking basket case that needs my head examined - according to a poster in the GDT for wanting Seidenberg over Hickey. I do have a temper and it's big. All the kimchee over the years, spiced up the blood.

Ill have to find that, it must be a classic

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Strongly disagree. I think NYI's D problem is best solved at C. The third line, PK, and faceoffs are problems.

Hey Dan-O, good to have you back

Cizikas should be 3C and Quine 4C, that probably fixes it, and Cizikas is the best faceoff guy so we should be using him instead of JT to win a necessary faceoff.

The D problem is bigger because neither Seids or Hickey should be out there in our 6, nor can we have Mayfield and Pulock out on the same night,

I see issues as

1. Goaltending (Cup worthy winning, not playoff making)
2. Bottom Pairing Dman (Seids at 28-32)
3. Allowing Shorthanded goals (could be fixed with a better goalie)
4. Faceoffs (We may need to hire Scott Allen as a consultant lOL)

Cizikas needs to be the 3C and you can have him center Nelson and JHS
4th line should be Chimera, Quine and Clutter... Beau should be in the Bridge and Prince should be the 13th man

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Hey Dan-O, good to have you back

Thanks man. Cheers.

Cizikas should be 3C and Quine 4C, that probably fixes it, and Cizikas is the best faceoff guy so we should be using him instead of JT to win a necessary faceoff.

I'd use Tito for 4C, but sure. That works if everyone is healthy. The problem is that any injury to a center screws up the lineup. If you want to contend, you can't take that risk.

The D problem is bigger because neither Seids or Hickey should be out there in our 6, nor can we have Mayfield and Pulock out on the same night,

NYI is 8 deep on D. It just takes a little guts to solve the Hickey problem: waive him, promote Toews. Done. Toews should be in the league stabilizing Mayfield or Pulock. Seids becomes mere insurance.

1. Goaltending (Cup worthy winning, not playoff making)

It's not available.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

No but, if his mind is made up or it hinges on the arena, why not try to go for it while he's here? His absence next year (if it comes to it) will set this team back for at least a couple of seasons.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The reason not to go all in (whatever that means) is that there isn't much available. Only Buffalo and Arizona are completely out of it. Montreal just climbed back in. Eventually some others will drop out. It's just too early.

This is true. When I advocate "going all in" I'm not suggesting overpaying for trash. And you're right that that's pretty much all that's available right now. But, as the season progresses and more teams fall out of the playoff race, we should consider moving some (not all) of the team's valuable assets to make a solid run.

Reactions: dano16

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Thanks man. Cheers.

I'd use Tito for 4C, but sure. That works if everyone is healthy. The problem is that any injury to a center screws up the lineup. If you want to contend, you can't take that risk.

NYI is 8 deep on D. It just takes a little guts to solve the Hickey problem: waive him, promote Toews. Done. Toews should be in the league stabilizing Mayfield or Pulock. Seids becomes mere insurance.

It's not available.

Has Blake Comeau scored 40 points since our bet LOL

The dman could be from within if they could just send Hickey down that would work, he would clear waivers, Toews has to be better than most of the bottom guys we have.

I am sold on Quine a lot more than others, he is a great forechecker, solid in the corners and a great passer... but should be 4C, I like Beau to play top line minutes in Bridgeport and have Cizikas become 3C

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Has Blake Comeau scored 40 points since our bet LOL

The dman could be from within if they could just send Hickey down that would work, he would clear waivers, Toews has to be better than most of the bottom guys we have.

I am sold on Quine a lot more than others, he is a great forechecker, solid in the corners and a great passer... but should be 4C, I like Beau to play top line minutes in Bridgeport and have Cizikas become 3C

Hickey wouldn't clear waivers. Despite the hate he receives, he has value, even if he's only a 5-6.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Hickey wouldn't clear waivers. Despite the hate he receives, he has value, even if he's only a 5-6.

True Philly might claim him, he would be top pairing with those tools. Cup winning teams do not have players like Hickey on the ice for 18 minutes a night... if this is the year for a cup run, the only cup that Hickey should be running for is a cup of coffee on the 2nd level concourse

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Agreed. I’d waive Seidenberg and keep Hickey for insurance. Seidenberg is 37 years old, doesn’t skate well, and the more he plays the worse he’ll look. Not good if he has to be an injury replacement for 5-plus games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad