Now is probably the time to finally go all-in

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
True Philly might claim him, he would be top pairing with those tools. Cup winning teams do not have players like Hickey on the ice for 18 minutes a night... if this is the year for a cup run, the only cup that Hickey should be running for is a cup of coffee on the 2nd level concourse

Hickey can be on a roster that wins a cup, but it needs an elite level defenseman (Keith, Doughty, Hedman, etc.) on it because you're absolutely right. He just can't be playing that many minutes for the team to be successful.

Agreed. I’d waive Seidenberg and keep Hickey for insurance. Seidenberg is 37 years old, doesn’t skate well, and the more he plays the worse he’ll look. Not good if he has to be an injury replacement for 5-plus games.

Unfortunately they won't waive Seidenberg I don't think because Barzal is living with him, and seems to be a positive impact on him.

Reactions: IODCPiper

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hickey can be on a roster that wins a cup, but it needs an elite level defenseman (Keith, Doughty, Hedman, etc.) on it because you're absolutely right. He just can't be playing that many minutes for the team to be successful.

Unfortunately they won't waive Seidenberg I don't think because Barzal is living with him, and seems to be a positive impact on him.
Tavares had Boulton, Barzal has Seidenberg. Meh.

Reactions: IODCPiper

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

If HIckey is playing 3 seconds on a team, they aren't winning a cup, he makes too many game changing errors,

Reactions: PWJunior

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
If HIckey is playing 3 seconds on a team, they aren't winning a cup, he makes too many game changing errors,

not that i disagree but I still take hickeymouse over strait

I tend to think if we moved on from hickey we'd just find someone else to complain about

mot saying you Majormet, i mean islander fans in general

we could win the stanley cup in 16 games and win 15 of them 10-0 and win the last game 9-1 and we'd complain about the one goal against

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I think Hickey is either hurt or just worn out. Over the years he has given it all for the Isles', giving up his body and taking the hit in order to make the play.

I agree that he has not played well this year, but before that, he was a smart player that wouldn't hurt you.

I have great respect for his efforts over the years and I'm saddened that he is no longer getting it done. He was always a solid bottom D guy. My two cents...

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I honestly don't understand how everyone is this frustrated with Hickey's play this year. He's been fine. More than fine actually. He has the best possession numbers of any of our D this year and even if you think Corsi is a load of horse sh*t, you can look at pretty much any other on-ice metric be it goals, shots, scoring chances, high danger scoring chances and Hickey will be one of the top 3. With Hickey on the ice, the team gives up the least goals, the least scoring chances and the 2nd fewest High danger scoring chances relative to our other Defensemen. Those are objective numbers, so regardless of whether he frustrates you people with the way he plays it is not translating to the team doing poorly. It just isn't.

And for the record, I don't care at all about Hickey. But if he is getting results (and he is) then I'm all for leaving him in the role he is in. Seidenberg and Chimera are waayyyyyyyyyy more frustrating in my mind.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I honestly don't understand how everyone is this frustrated with Hickey's play this year. He's been fine. More than fine actually. He has the best possession numbers of any of our D this year and even if you think Corsi is a load of horse sh*t, you can look at pretty much any other on-ice metric be it goals, shots, scoring chances, high danger scoring chances and Hickey will be one of the top 3. With Hickey on the ice, the team gives up the least goals, the least scoring chances and the 2nd fewest High danger scoring chances relative to our other Defensemen. Those are objective numbers, so regardless of whether he frustrates you people with the way he plays it is not translating to the team doing poorly. It just isn't.

And for the record, I don't care at all about Hickey. But if he is getting results (and he is) then I'm all for leaving him in the role he is in. Seidenberg and Chimera are waayyyyyyyyyy more frustrating in my mind.

I like stats but at the same time, what stats won't show are the split second bad decisions that lead to momentum changes, Hickey decides to toedrag in the o-zone only to get stripped leading to breakaways, he cannot clear the puck out of the zone, and has been selfish in taking shots and not getting his defensive partner involves (mainly Pulock). He never bothered me on a large scale to this year, if this team is in a cup conversation and you are in a game #7 with Hickey or Chimera on the ice or Seids, something bad can happen at any moment.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
the main point is that NYI have a solution for D, and have none for defensive center depth.

maybe garth can put seidenberg on IR for indigestion, he apparently eats so much. it doesn't matter.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Adding good two-way center for the third line would be ideal. I dont know who would be available now that most teams are still fighting for playoff spot. Philly seems to be out so I think Filppula would be perfect fit. Hes decent in defensive zone, and good at faceoffs. Also fairly good offensive abbilities, slot him in with Nelson and Ho-Sang and I believe we have three lines that can drive the play and hold the puck. He would most likely cost at least 2nd and 3rd. We could even try to sign him for two year deal after this season, if he could be locked for 3m a year.

Other possibility could be acquire fourth line C and slot Cizikas to third. Brad Richardson has been mentioned before, I think he could be had for second or third.? Was also wondering about buffalos Johan Larsson, one year remaining after this (1,475M). He was decent last year before injury but I havent watched any buffalos games this year, so dont really have an assessment on him. Anyone?

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm thinking Sabres need a changeup...any chance they are willing to let go of RoR? I think adding him would put us over the top..The other teams will ask for overpayment for their 2-way centres...If Henrique wasn't in our division...he's also be a perfect fit. Obviously Ducks won't trade him back.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
I'm thinking Sabres need a changeup...any chance they are willing to let go of RoR? I think adding him would put us over the top..The other teams will ask for overpayment for their 2-way centres...If Henrique wasn't in our division...he's also be a perfect fit. Obviously Ducks won't trade him back.

ROR would be awesome! Although maybe a bit of a too much luxury as 3rd C, coming with pretty hefty caphit of 7,5 until 2023.
If Tavares decides to leave sure, but I cant see us having Tavares-Barzal-O'Reilly-Cizikas as centers, when Barzal is on hes second contract. that would be ~30mil middle lane.

Would need to send some premium pieces to Buffalo also. I can see ROR get traded 1on1 for good young defender, and we font really have one.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

This would cost NYI major assets + the opportunity to resign Bailey. That opens a hole in the top 6 that Ho-Sang isn't ready to fill. (BTW, I'm always going to assume that JT resigns. Because if he doesn't, oblivion.)

Adding good two-way center for the third line would be ideal. I dont know who would be available now that most teams are still fighting for playoff spot. Philly seems to be out so I think Filppula would be perfect fit. Hes decent in defensive zone, and good at faceoffs. Also fairly good offensive abbilities, slot him in with Nelson and Ho-Sang and I believe we have three lines that can drive the play and hold the puck. He would most likely cost at least 2nd and 3rd. We could even try to sign him for two year deal after this season, if he could be locked for 3m a year.

Filppula would be just okay imo. If Montreal falls back out of it, I'd prefer Plekanec by a wide margin.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
TBH...I would project RoR to play 2c and Barzal 3. Remember...Barzal is still a rookie and is not used to the rigours of the NHL. We are barely through 1/3rd of the season...lets see if his legs can last through to the end AND playoffs.

Barzal will still make mistakes...the problem is..no one can do what he does, so he gets more minutes (more minutes = more mistakes)...With RoR, we can control this and use him appropriately. Now we have 4 excellent lines...

What would he cost...I don't know. We have the currency with prospects and picks plus we have Nelson to add to it.

I'm still on the fence about signing Bails...I know I know..

Realize this: Bailey is in his contract year, so he's pushing harder for a bigger contract. Bailey is also playing with JT...he might end up with 80 points or more...but as soon as you move him to any other part of the lineup, he's your 40-45 point guy again. This was the same problem with other players in the past and they are no longer here.

What if one of our prospects or players (ie Bellows) steps up and is just that much better than Bailey....Bailey is then displaced....now he's the 6 million dollar player getting 40-45 points....by then..people here would forget how much they thought he was great and those are the same people that thought he was hot garbage only a year or so previous to that...see what I'm getting at? Maybe I'm not seeing it and he is turning things around, but I have to see that he's capable of doing this on his own....

Reactions: dood

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Filppula would be just okay imo. If Montreal falls back out of it, I'd prefer Plekanec by a wide margin.

I think as long as Price is healthy, Montreal stays in it. Without Price, they’re in trouble.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I like stats but at the same time, what stats won't show are the split second bad decisions that lead to momentum changes, Hickey decides to toedrag in the o-zone only to get stripped leading to breakaways, he cannot clear the puck out of the zone, and has been selfish in taking shots and not getting his defensive partner involves (mainly Pulock). He never bothered me on a large scale to this year, if this team is in a cup conversation and you are in a game #7 with Hickey or Chimera on the ice or Seids, something bad can happen at any moment.

But what stats do show is whether or not those frustrating plays are leading to some meaningful trend in events (goals against, shooting attempts, scoring chances) that is hurting the team. And they are not. Whatever Hickey is doing is translating to less goals against, less shots and less scoring chances by the opponent. My point is that you can complain about Hickey's weaknesses all you want but until they start translating into negative results on the ice, he is not the problem on D.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Hickey has been the worst offender on the blue line for own zone turnovers. He's also been a liability on the PK, where teams just park someone up front uncontested. He has trouble moving avg sized skaters. Granted, that is more of a coaching issue. He probably shouldn't be used on the PK. His offensive production was never good enough to overcome his defensive shortcomings.

I like all the ideas about trading for big pieces, but I think a couple smaller, more realistic moves would make as much of an impact without hurting chemistry or the cap going forward. I've already mentioned moving Cizikas to 3rd line C, I'd also like to see Garth add a veteran 2 way center who is good at faceoffs and an energy LW for the 4th line to replace Kulemin. Guys like Brad Richardson, Blake Comeau, Colin Wilson, Jay Beagle....

Lee - Tavares - Bailey
Ladd - Barzal - Eberle
A-Beau - Cizikas - Ho-Sang
Comeau - Richardson - Clutterbuck

I'd put Nelson on the market and take whoever offers the best draft picks, if no one takes, I'd send Beauvillier down.

Reactions: PWJunior

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
There are a lot of contracts that won't be renewed at the end of the season as many are coming off the books. We can make room if we need to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->