Nothing but praise

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
I had nothing but respect for Brendan Shanahan as a player; honest, hard working, tough with integrity. What a wonderful day when he was appointed president, with the kind of class of a Yzerman and the pedigree of the wildly successful Wing organization behind him. And a disciplined build from within plan, keying on the draft, on character. Already we are reaping the benefits, look at our depth, our talent, how revealing that there was no need to chase a rental at the deadline. I read somewhere that he only wants “class” players (they are willing to go to the tough spots, but not goons, and contribute to a great dressing room). And we fans can know that all the young talent will be “babysat” properly (yes Dermott spent a lot of time in the AHL; yes Johnsson the same and hopefully Liljegren the same), we know he has the plan and it’s the right one.

It gets better, he hires the shrewd wily veteran GM in Lou Lamoriello. First class, protects the players privacy, no emotional undermining outbursts (see Ottawa for what effect this kind of immaturity can have). I knew he would stick with the plan, I didn’t have to fear he’d bring in an Evander Kane to possibly disrupt a great dressing room at the deadline or pay for some veteran at the start of his declining years. Patrick Marleau? How much more class could you add to a dressing room full of “kids”. Over the hill? Far from it, speed to burn. And Plekanec? Perfect. Notice how players are protected from the media hounds, how sometimes it’s days before they are allowed to be interviewed.

Then comes Mike Babcock, acknowledged as the best coach in the entire league. Same class (I’ve never heard him disparage a player in public). Wily, always calculating in his moves. Many complain of the veterans, Polak, Komarov etc., but he knows a thing or two-I couldn’t see all our talented youth getting too far without them, to me it would be like “throwing Boys to the wolves”. He knows that, listen to his press conferences, he knows exactly what he’s doing. Stubborn and proud, of course, part of the DNA needed in Leaf land. Punished the youth with 4th line demotions, favours the Vets? Look at how Marner has responded to that, look at Nylander now. Please spare me the “arm chair vicariously living know it alls”, do you really think you know better than Mike Babcock? So what if Komarov gets a bit of overtime or pp, maybe it’s a reward for hard work and the young bucks take notice, maybe it creates the dressing room Mike Babcock knows it takes. So what if Polak gets some minutes, maybe the players respect his good heart and willingness to go to war for them. Leave Kapanen on the third or fourth line, he needs time (don’t you think Mike, Lou and Brendan know that a sure way to destroy his confidence is to see him fail on the first or second line; too much to quick).

Yes I am hopelessly biased and hopelessly addicted. How could I not be after watching the last 5 minutes of the Dallas game, at how mesmerizing we were. It’s “poetry in motion”, it’s watching Marner’s magician work, Nylander barrelling down the ice, Matthews spinning and shooting, Rielly dancing all over the ice, Gardner with his pin point passing, Dermott’s maneuvering, Kadri’s ice smarts etc.

The critic could say we lucked out and sped things up getting Matthews, or that it was pure luck that we went and got Anderson and how he’s turned out. But I can see the template, the incredible depth, the minor leaguers that are NHL ready, the refusal to be seduced by the free agents, because it’s all about replenishing the cupboard with succinct choices.

Now I am in Calgary and love the Flames, but when I watch them, a solid team, there is just no comparison.

What a first class organization now (did I already mention that). Who knows how far we’ll go this year, or next, but I get this treat for many years to come. The best organizations are all about long term excellence.

Now if my wife will forgive me as I glue to the TV for a month and hopefully longer (I bought the NHL Centre Ice package, I don’t have to miss a game)

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
When leafs got shanahan, lamorello and babcock i looked at their resume and noticed that everywhere they went they won. I didnt think that could possibly happen with the leafs. it took 1 season to take a hopeless, embarrassing, joke of a team to the playoffs... complaining about komorov and hyman icetime is silly when you think where these 3 guys took this team from embarrassment to contenders. Dont think anyone else could have done that.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Seeing that we played Buffalo last night it makes sense to mention that it wasn't very long ago when everyone said the Sabres rebuild was ahead of the Leafs, it was almost like consensus accepted fact on the main boards that Eichel, Risto, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Girgensons etc moving forward was better than Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Kadri etc in fact it was also considered consensus fact that the Oilers were in the better position moving forward, but who's saying that these days?

Fast forward to modern day and the Leafs are going to playoffs for the 2nd straight year while Sabres are still stuck in the basement. Its been an incredible turn around lead by an amazing management, the best this franchise has had in decades.

I feel the best years in this era are still coming, we'll look back in 10 years after long deep playoff runs and a potential cup and recognize this period (2017, 2018) as the beginning of the best era in modern Leafs history. When guys like Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Rielly, Dermott etc were still so young.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I thought Shanny was a great player.
Then I loved the work he did with Player Safety.

But I never thought he would be as good as he's been as President, because that's a job that about who you hire and how well you can communicate and delegate to them.

And I'll give Pookie props for his point about managing upwards and selling the Board on what needed to be done, and how, and why.

He is a VERY capable guy.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
honestly, Shanahan is one of the best things to happen around here in the longest time. even though there were fans who were ticked off and even left the fandom because we didn't hire Desjardin/Lindon, or Chiarelli/Nicholson and thought Shanahan would lead the franchise no where, he has quietly brought back respectability, stability, ownership and legitimate passion back into this market.

He made some difficult decisions, some slight mistakes but i think those decisions are bearing amazing fruit.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
HOFer on the ice, and things have translated well into his post player career as president of the Leafs. Been allowed to do what needed to be done without interference/veto and his hires have also pulled their weight.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I remember a lot of people outside opposing fans always used to crap on the Shanahan signing, which was really unfair to the guy.

One thing that made me really like Shanahan was when the NHL had that debacle with all the emails getting released and you got to see some people's nasty side(Bob McKenzie, Colin Campbell) Shanahan was always professional in his emails and didn't come off looking like a jackass in any of them.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The day Shanahan was hired was the day it all turned around for us. What a great management team we have, from Hunter to Lou to Dubas. Now if only the coach would coach like the elite coach he's supposed to be, then we're good for years. It might still happen, Babcock has shown to come around to some things, albeit a bit later than we fans would like. Waiting for the day Hyman is dropped to the third or fourth line and I'll finally say we may have the coach we always thought we had.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Hopefully in the future we will talk about the Leafs in a Pre Shannahan and Post Shannahan way. He's exactly what the Leafs organization needed.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Shanahan has been amazing.

The entire management team is incredible and it has a lot to do with his dedication and planning.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The day Shanahan was hired was the day it all turned around for us. What a great management team we have, from Hunter to Lou to Dubas. Now if only the coach would coach like the elite coach he's supposed to be, then we're good for years. It might still happen, Babcock has shown to come around to some things, albeit a bit later than we fans would like. Waiting for the day Hyman is dropped to the third or fourth line and I'll finally say we may have the coach we always thought we had.
The coach is doing his job, you just don't understand all the factors that are going into those decisions. Seriously, you are not a better coach than Babcock unless your name is Quenneville and then you have a debate. We are poised to set a franchisee win record, how can you take yourself seriously?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If only we can think back to when Shanahan was hired as the Leafs President and those who asked what experience did he have, despite a team like the Canucks who hired Trevor Linden for the same job and some people thought he was a great hire because he actually played for them and some saying Shanahan had no ties to the Leafs. While it's true he never played for them as we have seen in those "The Leaf: Blueprint" episodes how he loved them growing up.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Seeing that we played Buffalo last night it makes sense to mention that it wasn't very long ago when everyone said the Sabres rebuild was ahead of the Leafs, it was almost like consensus accepted fact on the main boards that Eichel, Risto, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Girgensons etc moving forward was better than Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Kadri etc in fact it was also considered consensus fact that the Oilers were in the better position moving forward, but who's saying that these days?

Fast forward to modern day and the Leafs are going to playoffs for the 2nd straight year while Sabres are still stuck in the basement. Its been an incredible turn around lead by an amazing management, the best this franchise has had in decades.

I feel the best years in this era are still coming, we'll look back in 10 years after long deep playoff runs and a potential cup and recognize this period (2017, 2018) as the beginning of the best era in modern Leafs history. When guys like Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Rielly, Dermott etc were still so young.
You forgot to mention the Sabres also trading for Robin Lehner and those who said he would become a #1 Goalie, despite when the Leafs traded for Andersen he had playoff experience and was the Ducks #1 Goalie.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The coach is doing his job, you just don't understand all the factors that are going into those decisions. Seriously, you are not a better coach than Babcock unless your name is Quenneville and then you have a debate. We are poised to set a franchisee win record, how can you take yourself seriously?
Let me make it clearer for you since you obviously have drunk the Babcock kool-aid. Babcock is a good coach whose stubbornness and poor choices keep him from being an elite coach. Hyman should not be attached to our superstars hip because he offers very little to that line, and in fact, gets in the way. Babcock loves his grinders and gudpros. Komarov playing anywhere but the 4th line for over half the season was lunacy, a fact he acknowledged when he put him on the 4th line and suddenly Kadri and Marner became productive. Young players being held accountable when they make errors but not the veterans, ie Kadri, Bozak, Marleau etc. Our defensive system, the choice to play dump and chase with a roster not suited, shall I go on? Let’s be serious, it has been Andersen’s stellar play that has made Babcock look elite. You mention Quenneville as the only coach worthy of comparison? What about Gallant, Sullivan, Cooper, Hitchcock? All on par with Babcock who has had the luxury of elite players on any team he’s been a part of. When we had avg players a few years ago, much like Vegas’ this year, he finished 30th. Clearer now?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Let me make it clearer for you since you obviously have drunk the Babcock kool-aid. Babcock is a good coach whose stubbornness and poor choices keep him from being an elite coach. Hyman should not be attached to our superstars hip because he offers very little to that line, and in fact, gets in the way. Babcock loves his grinders and gudpros. Komarov playing anywhere but the 4th line for over half the season was lunacy, a fact he acknowledged when he put him on the 4th line and suddenly Kadri and Marner became productive. Young players being held accountable when they make errors but not the veterans, ie Kadri, Bozak, Marleau etc. Our defensive system, the choice to play dump and chase with a roster not suited, shall I go on? Let’s be serious, it has been Andersen’s stellar play that has made Babcock look elite. You mention Quenneville as the only coach worthy of comparison? What about Gallant, Sullivan, Cooper, Hitchcock? All on par with Babcock who has had the luxury of elite players on any team he’s been a part of. When we had avg players a few years ago, much like Vegas’ this year, he finished 30th. Clearer now?

Simmer Down now.

Some very valid points but It wasn’t until Babcock pushed Kadri to be a better player that he morphed into who he currently is. Player deserves a lot of that credit but so does the guy pushing the buttons. Same with pushing both Marner and Nylander.

As with any of the CDN Olympic coaches they all overplay their vets. Komarov should only be on the forth line as said. It’s painful to watch him with Kapanen because he is three steps ahead. Pretty sure he pushed to get Martin and both Boyle and Plekanic. Boyle we needed last year but I think it was a real waste to add this year as I can’t see us making past both the Bruins and Lightning. I think Plekanic is a decent player but he is having a terrible start with us.

He is a good coach but like many of us we fall into our own habits and as an observer it drives us nuts.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I think there is a good chance that Shanny ends up in the HOF in the builders category too...he has taken our beloved franchise and rebuilt it properly from the ground on up after burning it to the ground and ending our misery. He has a plan and has stuck to it like he said he would.

Not only has he built a bright future but he has rebuilt bridges to the past and is determined to keep immersing our current players in the true value and meaning of wearing the Blue and White. Play for the Crest on the front not the name on the back.

A man of his word. I've had complete faith in him from the get go.

And he did say we were bringin the cup back home after all...

Fingers crossed

Please Hockey gods...no more Jeff Fingers!

GLG!!!

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Something is clear, but not what you think.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I remember a lot of people outside opposing fans always used to crap on the Shanahan signing, which was really unfair to the guy.

One thing that made me really like Shanahan was when the NHL had that debacle with all the emails getting released and you got to see some people's nasty side(Bob McKenzie, Colin Campbell) Shanahan was always professional in his emails and didn't come off looking like a jackass in any of them.

One thing that does seem to go unnoticed is that as well thought of as Shanahan is, he really had very little experience in running a hockey team. He handed out suspensions before this.

But man did his experience as a leader within a hockey club pay dividends to eventual decisions he would make. Here’s what I mean.

Was he just a figurehead? Someone to implement Tim Leiweke’s vision (and that of the Board) of the team being close to the playoffs. Tim was completely involved in TFC, firing an experienced President and then personally chasing down players like Dafoe?

I think there’s a case that he made a few moves early on that probably were inconsistent with tanking and more about making the team immediately competitive. (eg. resigning Carlyle, trading draft picks, firing all the assistants). That’s the direction he was hired to implement.

But aside from the courage to go to the Board to reverse that, what he did realize very early is that a leader doesn’t have to have all the answers. He has hired some incredibly experienced and credible people in key areas. Lou, Babcock. And hired some bright minds in emerging areas like Dubas.

There’s not much to dislike about the structure and direction. Good fortune, like winning a lottery certainly helps, but this is a solid, solid leadership structure.

Reactions: Paradoc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad