Nothing but praise

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
You few who lap up the Babcock kool-aid aren’t baffled but a considerable number of the fan base are and we’ll continue to question our illustrious coach when necessary.
“You few” lol. You’re the only one in this thread going on about him being a bad coach. I like to think the complaints are from a vocal minority who just seem to prefer to whine rather than appreciate what they have.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This place never cease to amaze.

You mention that Hyman playing the PP as a reason why Babcock is not elite. Hyman who play a grand total of less than 10 seconds per game, seconds that are almost exclusively when a line change is done as the PP is ending. And you call that enlightening people? And it's everybody else that is not being rational on this subject, eh?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
You few who lap up the Babcock kool-aid aren’t baffled but a considerable number of the fan base are and we’ll continue to question our illustrious coach when necessary.
By all means, but realize you do so at the expense of your own credibility.

We are presently on pace for the highest point total of all Leaf teams. This with Matthews missing a quarter of the season. I'm curious, with your choice of an elite coach at the helm, what are your expectations of this current team?

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

You mention that Hyman playing the PP as a reason why Babcock is not elite. Hyman who play a grand total of less than 10 seconds per game, seconds that are almost exclusively when a line change is done as the PP is ending. And you call that enlightening people? And it's everybody else that is not being rational on this subject, eh?
ahh I just think he wants RW back

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
“You few” lol. You’re the only one in this thread going on about him being a bad coach. I like to think the complaints are from a vocal minority who just seem to prefer to whine rather than appreciate what they have.
You my friend need to brush up on your reading comprehension. I never said he was a "bad" coach, in fact, I've repeatedly said he was a "good" coach. Not IMO an elite coach.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

Another who has to learn to read an entire post. I did not reference his pp time as the only reason for him not being elite. Just go back and read the other reasons I gave.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
By all means, but realize you do so at the expense of your own credibility.

We are presently on pace for the highest point total of all Leaf teams. This with Matthews missing a quarter of the season. I'm curious, with your choice of an elite coach at the helm, what are your expectations of this current team?
This is a very good team led by a very skilled young core. They have a goalie who has had an exceptional season and has repeatedly faced 30 or more shots a game. He's stolen games for them they had no justification in winning. I think we could be higher in the standings without the "dump and chase" game implemented in November but we'll never know. Moving forward, I pray for the day Hyman is extricated from Matthew's hip and hope he solves the problem with the plethora of shots on goal for the sake of our goalie.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Another who has to learn to read an entire post. I did not reference his pp time as the only reason for him not being elite. Just go back and read the other reasons I gave.
Gotcha. You just responded that if you were the coach, Hyman wouldn't be on the PP. So, how do you feel about playing Andersen as net front presence on the PP? Is that a no for you too?

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Leiwicky really needs to be recognized in this thread as well. Be it the Leafs, Raps, TFC or whatever, he kicked over the first dominoes. He's really the patriarch of MLSE's on ice/field/court success.

No kidding.

Somehow getting Shanny for the Leafs and Masai for the Raps.... that has completely changed the sports profile of this city.

Between the two of them (Shanny and Masai) I don't know which one is better. They've both been incredibly good. Very very few missteps by either.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So far Shanahan has been amazing, this is the best managed Leafs team in well over a decade.

So far he’s made the right call on most issues - his next major decision (the post Lou GM) will be his next big test/challenge

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No kidding.

Somehow getting Shanny for the Leafs and Masai for the Raps.... that has completely changed the sports profile of this city.

Between the two of them (Shanny and Masai) I don't know which one is better. They've both been incredibly good. Very very few missteps by either.

They both have done great respectively.

Shanny completely changed the culture of the Leafs from top to bottom. It seems like yesterday when other STAR players are wondering will Leafs fans throw their jersey on the Ice. Hiring Lou, Babs, Hunter, Dubas, Keefe and others are huge steps for rebuilding the Leafs. Then filling the cupboards with good prospects is another huge step. Ofcourse having Matthews is very lucky but you got to be good to be lucky.

Masai is great at finding talents in the rough to fit into Casey's system. Would be very interesting to see if they can pull off what the Mavs and Pistons did-winning the Championship without a top 5 players in the league.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
This is a very good team led by a very skilled young core. They have a goalie who has had an exceptional season and has repeatedly faced 30 or more shots a game. He's stolen games for them they had no justification in winning. I think we could be higher in the standings without the "dump and chase" game implemented in November but we'll never know. Moving forward, I pray for the day Hyman is extricated from Matthew's hip and hope he solves the problem with the plethora of shots on goal for the sake of our goalie.
You really don't like to quantify things do you?

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
It’s people like you that are laughable who think that a coach is beyond reproach. The best coaches in the world in any sport (Babcocks not one of them) are sometimes questioned. Great coaches have been fired. Winning with great players doesn’t make you elite. The only arrogance I see is from Babcock who thinks his crap doesn’t stink.

Most rational people would say the coach who has taken a team that finished dead last a couple of seasons ago and turned them into a top 5 overall team 20 games over 500 and with top 10 special teams on both sides of the puck deserves more credit and slack then some folks in the #PotatoNation side seems capable of giving. Always have to have something to bitch and moan about rather then enjoying the early fruits of our rebuild.

I didn't see you getting a sit down with Shanny and him asking you for your insight from your decades of coaching and behind the scenes insight into what we need to do to win.

I and others still await you actually putting your money where your mouth is and explaining how/why you know better then the best management group in the game.. let alone what better systems and style of play will have us more then 20 games over .500

We are 9 pts behind 1st overall... but YOU could do a better job?

Have a Coke, a smile and shut the **** up ~ Richard Pryor

Reactions: White Shadow

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
No kidding.

Both have turned their organizations into first class operations.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Most rational people would say the coach who has taken a team that finished dead last a couple of seasons ago and turned them into a top 5 overall team 20 games over 500 and with top 10 special teams on both sides of the puck deserves more credit and slack then some folks in the #PotatoNation side seems capable of giving. Always have to have something to ***** and moan about rather then enjoying the early fruits of our rebuild.

I didn't see you getting a sit down with Shanny and him asking you for your insight from your decades of coaching and behind the scenes insight into what we need to do to win.

I and others still await you actually putting your money where your mouth is and explaining how/why you know better then the best management group in the game.. let alone what better systems and style of play will have us more then 20 games over .500

We are 9 pts behind 1st overall... but YOU could do a better job?

Have a Coke, a smile and shut the **** up ~ Richard Pryor

Ahhh, so if we don't agree with your opinion we're irrational? How pompous of you. Where did I say I "could do a better job"? I was asked what I would do differently and I told you. You don't have to agree. It's a forum, and as fans we discuss our team, what we like, and what we don't like. Disagreeing with whether a coach is simply good, or elite, is part of being a fan, always has been. You think your opinion has more validity than mine? What an arrogant stance. 9 points out of first? Great. How much of that is Babcock and how much is drafting an elite centre, hitting on top 10 picks in the last 5 years, and a great goalie? Who's to say that if we didn't have Babcock another coach would have us 4 points out of first, or first altogether. Try to listen to other's opinions without resorting to condescension.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Why would I want to quantify things in the context of this discussion? Can you quantify how many points Babcock has been directly responsible for? Silly.
If you claim someone could be doing a better job, I don't think it's unreasonable that you say how much better when asked.

Personally, I don't think the coaches can make a difference in more than a 5 -10 games a season collectively.

So, if Babs is in the upper echelon of the league (in my mind he is) he can be accountable for an extra 10 - 20 points over the worst coach and something like 5 - 10 points more than a mid tier coach.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
If you claim someone could be doing a better job, I don't think it's unreasonable that you say how much better when asked.

Personally, I don't think the coaches can make a difference in more than a 5 -10 games a season collectively.

So, if Babs is in the upper echelon of the league (in my mind he is) he can be accountable for an extra 10 - 20 points over the worst coach and something like 5 - 10 points more than a mid tier coach.
But quantifying it in such a manner is entirely subjective. You say 5-10, I say 7-12, Nithoniel says 15-20. Why put numbers to it when you really can't, or shouldn't. How can I say with any certainty that Boucher would have us with an additional 5-10 points because he loves to employ a left wing lock or a passive 1-3-1 system and thereby would help our defensive system and in turn allow less than 30 shots a game.

Last edited:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Ahhh, so if we don't agree with your opinion we're irrational? How pompous of you. Where did I say I "could do a better job"? I was asked what I would do differently and I told you. You don't have to agree. It's a forum, and as fans we discuss our team, what we like, and what we don't like. Disagreeing with whether a coach is simply good, or elite, is part of being a fan, always has been. You think your opinion has more validity than mine? What an arrogant stance. 9 points out of first? Great. How much of that is Babcock and how much is drafting an elite centre, hitting on top 10 picks in the last 5 years, and a great goalie? Who's to say that if we didn't have Babcock another coach would have us 4 points out of first, or first altogether. Try to listen to other's opinions without resorting to condescension.

Well if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad