Series Talk: ECQF: New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals (NYR Lead 3-0)

What is your prediction of the result of this series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Not with the type of hits hes laying consistently to guys in vulnerable spots. Itd be one thing if it was a one off, but he has a reputation for laying hits with clear intent to injure
Clear intent? Who have you spoken too? What nhl sources are telling you these details. Don’t really care that much about oshies reputation but it’s funny when you say something that clearly no one on this site knows unless they are an nhl player

Reactions: PlushMinus

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
If I agree that Panarin should have gotten a penalty, will you agree that Oshie should have gotten a penalty for high-sticking Panarin, and another penalty for jumping him from behind?
High-sticking for sure. Didn't see/don't remember the jumping from behind thing so can't comment on that.

Reactions: Neil Racki

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
one does get the sense that pk subban and bissonette are the authorities being held here as the arbiters.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
I'm curious as to why people still think the Panarin hit was a penalty?

He did not leave his feet while making contact.
He tucked the arm in and only raised the elbow up AFTER the collision (follow through).
Contact is through the body, but there is some head contact because:
Oshie is bending forward, putting himself in a more vulnerable position.

They called it a 5 so they could review it. I heard Biz and Whit ask "why wasn't it at least a 2 then?". So I ask again, 2 minutes for what? Given all of the above. As per the rules, it's a legal hit. This whole "what if it were Wilson" is pure mental masturbation and a waste of time.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I'm curious as to why people still think the Panarin hit was a penalty?

He did not leave his feet while making contact.
He tucked the arm in and only raised the elbow up AFTER the collision (follow through).
Contact is through the body, but there is some head contact because:
Oshie is bending forward, putting himself in a more vulnerable position.

They called it a 5 so they could review it. I heard Biz and Whit ask "why wasn't it at least a 2 then?". So I ask again, 2 minutes for what? Given all of the above. As per the rules, it's a legal hit. This whole "what if it were Wilson" is pure mental masturbation and a waste of time.

The initial point of contact was the head not the body. While Panarin did also connect with the body, you can clearly see Oshie's head snap back before his chest or shoulder move from the collision. Even if Oshie is in a vulnerable position, it's the player making the check that has the responsibility to not come up high in this situation. Panarin not raising his elbow or leaving his feet does not absolve him of that responsibility. We've seen similar plays like this penalized many times during the regular season.

If Wilson had made this same exact hit, you are being dishonest if you think Rangers fans wouldn't lose their minds and the Refs would have just let it go like they did Panarin. It's a fair point to make because it illustrates the obvious double standard.

Also, hearing a Rangers fan use the words "Wilson" and "mental masturbation" in the same sentence is amusing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Caps issues with their defensemen aside Carberry has had his team play a pretty effective defensive style of game all season long. Caps forwards help out their D quite a lot. Their team is good at stifling play in the neutral zone and clogging their net front in the defensive zone and they block a lot of shots. The Caps issues have been more about generating offense. So much depends on a handful of players for that. it's not that surprising though the way the whole team is committed to defending that the last game was tight and the rest of the series might be as well. Keeping it tight and low scoring is the likeliest way the Caps could win games

In some ways it's the opposite of when the Rangers were a limited offensive team in the Tortorella years against a very high octane Capitals offense......though that was when Lundqvist was out best player and we had some high performers and/or great defensive D in McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Stralman. Still they were definite underdogs but also committed to winning one goal low scoring games.

On the Panarin thing I get why Oshie was targeting him. Panarin's the Rangers biggest offensive threat and his last two playoffs were subpar........get him off his game and get under his skin. All that said I also get why Panarin walloped him like that. No one likes to be targeted with cheap shots.....particularly if the refs are letting those cheap shots go.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
one does get the sense that pk subban and bissonette are the authorities being held here as the arbiters.
They certainly know hockey better than most on this site given they were paid millions of dollars to play the game.

lmao, what?

This is some next-level delusional posting right here
How come? Why do you think a player hits another player? To say hi?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It would be nice to see Ovechkin score 2 or 3 goals and have Caps win next game. Make a series out of it.

I still think Rangers win easily in 5, maybe 6 games max. I just hope for Washington they put up a fight and it's not 4 games

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Rangers fans .. I like you guys. Well like 95% of yall and the panarin hit aside I’m glad there hasn’t much blood so far. I’m glad rempe didn’t HAVE to fight Mcilrath. I’m rooting for the guy to become a Trent federic and find his place
As a Ranger fan I agree with everything you said. Other than Rempe becoming a Trent Frederic. Trent Frederic is 9,000 times the player Matt Rempe will ever be, lets be honest

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
As a Ranger fan I agree with everything you said. Other than Rempe becoming a Trent Frederic. Trent Frederic is 9,000 times the player Matt Rempe will ever be, lets be honest
Eh, Rempe has had the much better start to his NHL career than Frederic did. Frederics first two "seasons" both had 0 points, and he's never had a playoff point in his career until this season. Not to mention Rempe's otherworldly intangibles

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Rangers fans .. I like you guys. Well like 95% of yall and the panarin hit aside I’m glad there hasn’t much blood so far. I’m glad rempe didn’t HAVE to fight Mcilrath. I’m rooting for the guy to become a Trent federic and find his place
I don't even like myself all that much but thank you.

Eh, Rempe has had the much better start to his NHL career than Frederic did. Frederics first two "seasons" both had 0 points, and he's never had a playoff point in his career until this season. Not to mention Rempe's otherworldly intangibles
Rempe may be a flash in the pan, but what a wonderful flash it's been. He's kind of a goofball who is just making the most of his moment. I hope it does last for him.

It all depends on how his offseason goes I think. If he works on his game away from the puck and develops more of a scoring touch, he could be a rare find.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Besides the fighting shenanigans, I do like what Rempe brings to the lineup. He plays hard and fast, finishes hits, blocks shots, goes to the net. But his skillset is very limited and its pretty safe to say he will never be anything more than a 4th liner.

Frederic has a much broader skillset and can play up and down a lineup.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Besides the fighting shenanigans, I do like what Rempe brings to the lineup. He plays hard and fast, finishes hits, blocks shots, goes to the net. But his skillset is very limited and its pretty safe to say he will never be anything more than a 4th liner.

Frederic has a much broader skillset and can play up and down a lineup.
Rempe is our Sidd Finch

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
GDT is up

Reactions: Summer Rose

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The hit on Oshie was clean.

Funny to hear all the whining coming out of Capsland when they've been delivering the dirtiest hits in the league consistently for the last 30+ years

Yuup. I have absolutely zero sympathy for the players or the fans.

They enjoyed being on the delivering end, now its time to take the medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad