North Bay Battalion 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Typical play by Ty to go flat...I don't like it. What's that now, 8 or 9 OT/ SO loses. That's a lot of points lost. Still a great weekend considering we were missing 3 key forwards.
2 OTW, 7 OTL, 2 SOL. Incredible considering then can run out four 35-55 goal scoring forwards, Nelson and J.LeBlanc, and DiVincentiis.
Maybe put out VanSteensel-Wakely-Romani

Last edited:

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
2 OTW, 7 OTL, 2 SOL. Incredible considering then can run out four 35-55 goal scoring forwards, Nelson and J.LeBlanc, and DiVincentiis.
Maybe put out VanSteensel-Wakely-Romani
The 3 on 3 exposes Nelson the most when we don’t have the puck. If we get first possession and don’t score, we’re doomed most times.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Notes from Tuesday’s workout:

There were 9 defenders on ice, Zac Wilson has arrived from Haliburton. Ethan Procyszyn was on ice after serving a 1-game suspension. Jacob Therrien was on ice and in regular gear after leaving early in PBO and missing KGN. Justin Ertel was not on the ice. He might “be a while”, who knows, hopefully ready for Game 1 in 8 - 10 days.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Friday night's road game will determine 2nd place in the conference in my eyes. Coach Oulahen definitely has this game circled on his calendar.
Hopefully get 1, maybe 2 regular players back and you can leap frog the Steelheads and lock up 2nd.

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
I don’t understand coach O’s thought process putting McIvor in.
Dom can’t play back to back games? The guy is going pro.
Back in 2014-15 Jake Smith played 3305 minutes in 56 games and in 2015-16 Jake played 3011 minutes in 52 games and wasn’t even drafted.
...remember its a development league!

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t understand coach O’s thought process putting McIvor in.
Dom can’t play back to back games? The guy is going pro.
Back in 2014-15 Jake Smith played 3305 minutes in 56 games and in 2015-16 Jake played 3011 minutes in 52 games and wasn’t even drafted.
I was thinking DiVincentiis could be worked a bit more as well. Oster could reach 60 games.
But DiVincentiis did come off a year with 48, plus 20, plus NHL rookie and main camps. If the battalion manage to pull off first, at least 2nd seed, the team looks a bit smarter.

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
Turley and Forgione are not the same calibre of player that Mcivor currently is, that's not meant as a shot towards them. McIvor is a solid talent that won't cost us games.
True, but lately it looks like each game Dom returns to the crease after sitting one out that he isn’t that sharp. Kingston game is a good example. He is much more confident when he is in a groove playing down the stretch.

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
True, but lately it looks like each game Dom returns to the crease after sitting one out that he isn’t that sharp. Kingston game is a good example. He is much more confident when he is in a groove playing down the stretch.
He wasn’t bad in Kingston, just good and not his normal great. You do make an excellent point though. I think he runs the table now, unless by some freak occurrence we clinch before Sunday

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
Also interesting that Barrie practiced at Palangio today. Wouldn’t it make more sense to head to Sudbury last night and settle in for their Friday night game vs the Wolves?

Reactions: Poster man

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Also interesting that Barrie practiced at Palangio today. Wouldn’t it make more sense to head to Sudbury last night and settle in for their Friday night game vs the Wolves?
It's a short drive, relatively speaking. I'm sure the players had discussions and decided they wanted to head to bed early enough and then just make the drive the next day.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Good news: 9 Justin Ertel is (surprising to me) back in; Bad news: 27 Andrew Leblanc is out, so the coach will continue to deploy what has become the standard 11 / 7 alignment. 12 Trevor McDowell remains in. The team has not yet named a starting ‘keeper.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Per GU.

North Bay beat Mississauga 5-4. Both teams have 1 game left.

Oshawa: 87 pts, Sunday 6pm vs Sudbury
North Bay: 85 pts, Sunday 2pm vs Peterborough

Both have 38 ROW, so if they end up tied in points, North Bay would win the tiebreaker. So #Gens need 1 pt vs SBY or PBO to beat NB

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
Per GU.

Both have 38 ROW, so if they end up tied in points, North Bay would win the tiebreaker. So #Gens need 1 pt vs SBY or PBO to beat NB
Yikes! Never thought we’d see the day Troop fans cheering for Sudbury 😂
Let’s see if they can light up the Gens for 13? 🤔

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Per GU.

Last night was Missy's last game, 2 extra days off before the playoffs start.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
At least two Steelhead goals were from a Missy player being parked right in front of Dom - and nobody around to take them out.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
At least two Steelhead goals were from a Missy player being parked right in front of Dom - and nobody around to take them out.
There were four battalion close enough to get a good view of a steelheads player take two whacks at a rebound for SH goal :)

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Some observations on some random numbers:

When was the last time 2 Troops and 2 Wolves occupied 4 of the top 5 spots in scoring?

Presuming SBY will convert both TDs tonight, I suspect D-Wake might be overtaken by Q. I also suspect D. Goyette is safe at the top.

In a game (NB @ MIS) where 2/3 of the top line checked in with 3 points each, it was interesting to see OVS pitch a shutout.

And speaking of this line, I wonder if local hockey fans truly appreciate what these players have accomplished this season. I’m sure other teams have had trios with this kind of production, but to see the Battalion’s top line closing in on 300 (okay, 287 with 1 to play) is, to me, truly remarkable.

Jacob Therrien has 2G, 2A in his last 16 GP. Iggy Pazii has 1G, 2A in his last 16 GP. Jacob Leblanc (SAR) had 7G, 27A in 37GP; (NB) 0G, 12A in 30GP (lack of PP opportunities?).

Reactions: howlman

apfsds

Jan 23, 2024
Some observations on some random numbers:

When was the last time 2 Troops and 2 Wolves occupied 4 of the top 5 spots in scoring?

Presuming SBY will convert both TDs tonight, I suspect D-Wake might be overtaken by Q. I also suspect D. Goyette is safe at the top.

In a game (NB @ MIS) where 2/3 of the top line checked in with 3 points each, it was interesting to see OVS pitch a shutout.

And speaking of this line, I wonder if local hockey fans truly appreciate what these players have accomplished this season. I’m sure other teams have had trios with this kind of production, but to see the Battalion’s top line closing in on 300 (okay, 287 with 1 to play) is, to me, truly remarkable.

Jacob Therrien has 2G, 2A in his last 16 GP. Iggy Pazii has 1G, 2A in his last 16 GP. Jacob Leblanc (SAR) had 7G, 27A in 37GP; (NB) 0G, 12A in 30GP (lack of PP opportunities?).

I would say lack of opportunity.
Pazii and Therrien playing time has been cut since trade.
They get 5-7 min/game and no PP or PK.
Line 1 and 2 get 17-22min/game plus PP and PK
Pro gets 12-17/game and PP and PK
Cook gets 7 -12 / game and PK
A.Leblanc 10-12 / game and PP

Leblanc lack of opportunity on a team with other top D

Nelson top mins plus PP 1 and PK
Mathurin Top mins plus PK
Christopolis top mins plus PK
Leblanc high mins plus PP2

Status
Not open for further replies.