North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think we will be lucky to get 1 of those 3 back for an O/A season!
Why? Both are undrafted. Thilander is questionable with the Euro card as well, but are we really going to get a better Euro commit via the draft? Well, two of them actually.

I think bringing him back and targeting a winger at the import draft is the best course of action.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017

Interesting post, thanks for sharing that. There are definite challenges with trying to recruit players to the Northern teams. Before someone brings up the Soo, let me remind you they are a storied franchise that do things the right way.
I am not sure some owners are all that concerned with development of players over development of investment in the business they own.
As an aside, I am not sure how to compare OHL to NCAA player wise; they are different development models at different development stages age wise.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Team that sputters out of the gate hits two home runs at the trade deadline and storms back into the playoff picture with some of the best hockey we've seen since the team made the Conference Finals in year two and this guy's still staring at attendance figures. Nobody from the team posts on these boards. Nobody cares if you're not going--your loss.

Reactions: too_long

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So North Bay is the WORST OHL team according to statistics. Yet another reason for top prospects to choose to play somewhere else
For games played, which doesn't really say much. 20 NHL draftees is pretty middle of the pack. The majority of those GP belong to Brent Burns, Matt Duchene, Jay McClement, Wojtek Wolski and Cody Hodgson, I'm assuming. Considering this team isn't much of a draw for the higher end talent to begin with, these figures seem par the course. Mike Amadio looks like he's about to add to those totals starting next season though.

Reactions: H0CKEY17

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Why? Both are undrafted. Thilander is questionable with the Euro card as well, but are we really going to get a better Euro commit via the draft? Well, two of them actually.

I think bringing him back and targeting a winger at the import draft is the best course of action.

On Butler's phone in show last night he said they would be drafting 2 imports this year so I'd say Thilander is moving on. I think Brazeau will sign somewhere. He also likes Potts..which I can't see as an O/A.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Any of guys could provide me some sort of scouting report on Brazeau, I think he is an interesting pickup in the late rounds with the breakout year he is having. Particularly intrigue to know about his skating and compete level?

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Any of guys could provide me some sort of scouting report on Brazeau, I think he is an interesting pickup in the late rounds with the breakout year he is having. Particularly intrigue to know about his skating and compete level?
The kid can score , has a knack for being in the right spot , you know those players who are basically invisible but end up scoring , his skating has improved slightly , but still is along way from the pro game , I would say he might win half of his puck battles , needs improvement here also.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
The kid can score , has a knack for being in the right spot , you know those players who are basically invisible but end up scoring , his skating has improved slightly , but still is along way from the pro game , I would say he might win half of his puck battles , needs improvement here also.

Not to promising the way you are describing him, do you see NHL upside in him, can he play a bottom6 PK role?

You said his skating slightly improved; from what bad to average or?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not to promising the way you are describing him, do you see NHL upside in him, can he play a bottom6 PK role?

Teddy Purcell is how I would describe him. Good vision, great puck protection at this level and has learned to use his size to his advantage. He has a near-NHL quality shot and has a tendency to find himself in the right area to use it. From what I've seen, he doesn't do much PKing. He's more of a scoring forward. His foot speed has improved leaps and bounds since he entered the league but will likely always be an issue at the professional level. Great PP option on the left half wall. I'd say there's a bit of NHL upside, but as a double OA he's better suited as a professional tryout than a late round pick.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016

Don't see him as bottom 6 , or PK in todays pro game PK guys have speed, skill and great hockey sense , actually they are no looking for those qualities for 3 & 4th line guys now. His skating is still well below average , now part of this is his size holding him back . Further , not sure he would score at the next level or get to the spots to score , but in the OHL it isn't a problem .

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Butler misses 2 games to scout, the team scores 8 goals. Comes back and the team gets shutout by Ottawa....Hmmmmmm....long live the trap!!!!!!

Reactions: howndawg

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
I wouldn't use that game to judge anything. Ottawa had something to play for and NB couldn't be bothered with the game. Enjoyed St Patty's day off a little too much.

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
It's always bothered me that so many people in Canada care about the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament but the average person seems to know a lot less about the (far superior) CHL Playoffs and Memorial Cup (obviously this is because of the dramatic single-elimination bracket format of March Madness and all the media attention it gets). I've always thought it would be fun though to fill out some sort of CHL playoff bracket but since I've never really found a good way to do it online, I decided to try creating my own for this year. Although it's a bit complicated and not the most user-friendly, there's step-by-step instructions on the website that should help. So if want to give it a try go to: memorialcupbracket.weebly.com

Reactions: belair

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Congrats on a really solid regular season to Christian Propp and Nick King. Keep it going in the playoffs.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Very happy with how things turned out, pick #9 should bring in a high quality player (please) and no offence to Kingston but they seem like a team ripe for an upset after making some big moves for some very high skill players but did not light the world on fire after the deadine

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
NB is in a great position for the draft. Three picks in 30 is only topped by London, I think.

As for Kingston, Day missed about 5 weeks with a knee injury & Jones has only played 2-3 games for them, so far. If the two NB-Kingston games I watched at the K-rock are any indication, the games will be close; but, NB will be in tough to win any.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Though I asked the question regarding making the playoffs and dropping in standings to raise their draft pick, I didn't really think it was what they should do. However, now learning that they get to ride bus a minimum of an hour and a half to the first three games, they should have dropped in standings.
There are no hotel rooms available in Kingston so NB has to stay in Peterborough and bus into game. This league never ceases to amaze me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad