North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It'll be really interesting to see who we end up matched up against. Standings are still pretty tight between 4th seed and 7th. Missy vs Hamilton is pretty much a certainty. Niagara is the only team out of those four who don't play within the group the rest of the way. There should be some pretty good match-ups down the stretch.

4th NIAGARA 68 points -- vs FLNT, @ HAM, vs WSR, vs HAM, @ ER, vs MISS
5th OSHAWA 67 points -- vs KGN, @ MISS, vs HAM, @ KGN, vs PBO, vs SBY
6th NORTH BAY 66 points -- vs SBY, @ SBY, @ PBO, @ KGN, @ OTT
7th OTTAWA 64 points -- @ KGN, vs KGN, vs MISS, @ BAR, @ MISS, vs NB

Winning that back-to-back against Sudbury would be huge this week.

Last edited:

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Question, since NB is going to play its' first 4 playoff games on the road and if they finish below 5th they most likely will be swept, wouldn't it make sense to finish as low as possible to get better draft pick position?

Reactions: Uncle

three dog night

May 3, 2014
It'll be really interesting to see who we end up matched up against. Standings are still pretty tight between 4th seed and 7th. Missy vs Hamilton is pretty much a certainty. Niagara is the only team out of those four who don't play within the group the rest of the way. There should be some pretty good match-ups down the stretch.

4th OSHAWA 68 points -- vs KGN, @MISS, vs HAM, @KGN, vs PBO, vs SBY
5th NIAGARA 67 points -- vs FLNT, @Ham, vs WSR, vs HAM, @ER, vs MISS
6th NORTH BAY 66 points -- vs SBY, @SBY, @PBO, @KGN, @OTT
7th OTTAWA 64 points -- @KGN, vs KGN, vs MISS, @BAR, @MISS, vs NB

Winning that back-to-back against Sudbury would be huge this week.
Niagara in fourth with 68 points Oshawa has67

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Question, since NB is going to play its' first 4 playoff games on the road and if they finish below 5th they most likely will be swept, wouldn't it make sense to finish as low as possible to get better draft pick position?
Why is that likely? They took Kingston to OT this afternoon and have played well against the rest of the division this season.

Besides, what difference is a few spots in the draft going to make?

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Not an excuse, gawd I hate when people use that word as an excuse because they don't understand the facts. You apparently have never ridden a Junior hockey bus because then you would understand travel is a reason not an excuse affecting performance.
The other week NB played in Niagara and left after the game for Hamilton around 9:30 or so. Their bus broke down and they never got to hotel until after 12:30 am. I am sure playing a game, eating crappy precooked, semi warm post game meal while sitting on the side of the QEW with no heat for over 2 hours didn't have any affect on the game the next day.
16 -20 yr old kids.....so pampered.....in my day we carried our hockey bag uphill both ways at minus 40 and we enjoyed it!!!!

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I dont think theyll be swept, wouldnt mind if they dropped a spot and played barrie. Pick up the 8th or 9th pick instead of 10th/11th and still have a good chance at a home playoff game

PEPSIHEAD

May 15, 2004
I still don’t understand what happens in the first round with North Bay. I understand they don’t have home ice available due to a conflicting event, until at least a game 5. How would the series work if they were a lower seeded team? Example: they play the first four games on the road, and the series goes the distance, are we saying North Bay would host game 7, because they didn’t have ice available in the first four games?

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
See I don't get that tired reference for the uneducated; meaning negative view point. As a realist the half empty saying is simple: If you start with a full glass and drink half, what are you left with? A half empty glass. If you start with an empty glass and pour in liquid half way, what are you left with? A half full glass.
NB missed playoffs last year and were looking like they would again this year, kinda like an empty year. You still following?
So they are going to get the needed playoff experience for the young guys and let's be honest, I doubt they beat Hamilton, Barrie or Kingston. My point being, if they are building for next year and the year after, would it not make sense to try and get the highest draft position possible.

Reactions: Uncle

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
See I don't get that tired reference for the uneducated; meaning negative view point. As a realist the half empty saying is simple: If you start with a full glass and drink half, what are you left with? A half empty glass. If you start with an empty glass and pour in liquid half way, what are you left with? A half full glass.
NB missed playoffs last year and were looking like they would again this year, kinda like an empty year. You still following?
So they are going to get the needed playoff experience for the young guys and let's be honest, I doubt they beat Hamilton, Barrie or Kingston. My point being, if they are building for next year and the year after, would it not make sense to try and get the highest draft position possible.

No. The most playoff games possible for the players to be more prepared next season and beyond would make sense. I doubt there is a precipitous drop off in talent from 8-11.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Oh I agree there is no experience like playoff experience for development especially the way Butler plays everyone. I was just throwing it out there to see what others thought.
If they are trying to get as many points as possible why didn't they play Propp against Kingston?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Oh I agree there is no experience like playoff experience for development especially the way Butler plays everyone. I was just throwing it out there to see what others thought.
If they are trying to get as many points as possible why didn't they play Propp against Kingston?

If I understand correctly, you are unhappy that the battalion will have gained in the standings this season while getting younger and accumulating more picks than I can ever remember that team having

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
I am relatively new to posting on the form after reading for some time. I now understand why many people get frustrated posting their questions and comments. I try to post as clearly as possible using full sentences and correct grammar, yet people read what they want to read, using whatever commentary suits their personal platform.
- I am happy the Battalion have made it into the playoffs
- I am happy the Battalion have accumulated a lot of picks
- I understand the benefit of playoff experience for young developing players
- What I asked was would it be more beneficial to have a higher draft position based on:
A) If they do not finish 5th or higher they won't win a series
B) They are playing minimum first 3 games away regardless if they get home ice (which will make it hard to win any series)
C) Their draft history is not that great so you would think especially in the first and second round, the higher the pick the less likely your scouts can screw it up.

It does not get any clearer than that. If you still have trouble understanding what I am saying, I can recommend an English as second language course for you.

Reactions: Uncle and cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I am relatively new to posting on the form after reading for some time. I now understand why many people get frustrated posting their questions and comments. I try to post as clearly as possible using full sentences and correct grammar, yet people read what they want to read, using whatever commentary suits their personal platform.
- What I asked was would it be more beneficial to have a higher draft position based on:
B) They are playing minimum first 3 games away regardless if they get home ice (which will make it hard to win any series)
C) Their draft history is not that great so you would think especially in the first and second round, the higher the pick the less likely your scouts can screw it up.
It does not get any clearer than that. If you still have trouble understanding what I am saying, I can recommend an English as second language course for you.[/QUOTE

The top quote seemed sarcastic in relation to my reply. There is probably a reasonable explanation as to why Butler did not start Propp vs Kingston.
The second quote is a carry over from a conversation started on previous pages? I think that I still answered it though...’I doubt there is a precipitous drop off in talent from 8-11’. The middle of the eastern conference standings is close; so, win as many games as possible and hope to meet Niagara, Ottawa, or Oshawa.
Three picks in the first 30 is a pretty enviable spot to be in this season; and, London and NB are the only teams in that position. 9 picks in five rounds in 2019 followed by 2-2nds in ‘20 & ‘21 will be enough chances to get some picks right

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No it doesn't make sense to bow out of the playoffs early or retain a lower seed. Specifically because a team like ours very rarely has the opportunity to take the BPA. Players have the ability to not report, which is a significant risk in our market.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017

It does not get any clearer than that. If you still have trouble understanding what I am saying, I can recommend an English as second language course for you.

Im with ya, I think there is a route the battalion can take for overall optimal results for their organization (good playoff matchup, playoff experience, and allowing for the battalion to have the highest pick possible, all things considered). I dont think anyone knows objectively what that route would be and by the looks of things many posters dont care (which isnt wrong!) Nothing is wrong with wanting to see wins, thats "how it should be" but I enjoy looking at the bigger picture of the organization, seeing it in an objective lens and wanting the best for it in all facets of hockey.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
We struggle to have players report to the team, missing the playoffs just gives them another reason to not want any part of the team

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
The Hounds seem to get many of their picks to report and they're even farther away than NB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad