North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I only get to watch North Bay and their tv crew on OHLive once a year. By far the least annoying tv crew I can think of. Unbiased, or least it seemed that way, knowledgeable and correct on their assessment of events as far as I could tell. Not a bad game either.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
I only get to watch North Bay and their tv crew on OHLive once a year. By far the least annoying tv crew I can think of. Unbiased, or least it seemed that way, knowledgeable and correct on their assessment of events as far as I could tell. Not a bad game either.

Bergy is an ex NHLer with the Caps; Dit Clapper's grandson. Had a son that played with the Petes. Knows his hockey and is quite objective in his views. The other guy is a pharmacist. I enjoy their play by play also.

Reactions: howndawg

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ex-Troop Vinny Praplan facing Canada tomorrow at 7AM est as a member of the Swiss Olympic Hockey team. I think he's likely to get an NHL contract this summer.

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
Okay North Bay fans, what's your deal. Your team goes 12-3-2 over the past 17 games and a paltry 2200 fans show up. Do you not realize that this type of interest is how you lost your team in the first place. I have heard all the excuses...marketing sucks, no special deals for STH's, Butler coaches a boring style etc., etc.

Given the fact that the team had a poor start then really started to turn it on after the Propp acquisition, it is should be obvious that things are going in the right direction. The players need and deserve your attendance and vocal support.

I have read folks saying things about drafted players not wanting to come to NB. Maybe just maybe because the town does not support the team the way all other centres embrace their team just might be a reason for that thinking.

Reactions: stickhandle

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
Okay North Bay fans, what's your deal. Your team goes 12-3-2 over the past 17 games and a paltry 2200 fans show up. Do you not realize that this type of interest is how you lost your team in the first place. I have heard all the excuses...marketing sucks, no special deals for STH's, Butler coaches a boring style etc., etc.

Given the fact that the team had a poor start then really started to turn it on after the Propp acquisition, it is should be obvious that things are going in the right direction. The players need and deserve your attendance and vocal support.

I have read folks saying things about drafted players not wanting to come to NB. Maybe just maybe because the town does not support the team the way all other centers embrace their team just might be a reason for that thinking.

I agree..it is disappointing. Those not showing up have missed some very exiting hockey.

I don't know if it is just a North Bay problem though..when I view some games on the road..I see a lot of empty seats as well.

I do think it is weird that you can stay at home and watch it on tv for free.

I honestly don't know what the answer is. I know you sure can't blame the hockey.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
To: IceCube
Thanks for weighing in, well said on your part. It’s a long story, but the short version is it’s a “North Bay thing”. As a 40 year resident of the area, but not born here, I’m not sure I’m qualified to speak, but will throw out a few things anyway. Based on those years of residency here, I do believe 3 key parties badly misjudged the viability of more OHL hockey here: the League and its executive; Brampton Battalion ownership and management; and the City of North Bay’s elected officials and staff.
5 years after the fact there remains wide and deep resentment of how the City obtained the franchise, by agreeing to arena renovations of $12 million (sole source, no bidding due to time constraints), and seeing these come in at $16 Million. The lease agreement giving the team some control of the arena and receiving concession revenue was also part of the package. I don’t pretend to know more than a little bit about it, but it’s not difficult to find examples in print (i.e.: letters to editor, online comments, etc.) where taxpayers are still irritated. There was recent reporting of a change in a summer music festival to the arena, “how much will Abbott (owner) get?” was a common theme.
Ironically, we may have been spoiled by the first 2 seasons which were beyond belief, reaching a league final and then a conference final. After the predictable rapid and steep decline, many have tuned out. You mentioned 2,200 Thursday vs. Osh., and this of course was tickets sold. This is only an estimate, but I would put the number of bodies in the building at 1,500 – 1,750. In the prime middle 4 sections comprised primarily of STH, there were rows of mostly empty seats. I was in the team office recently and there is a plastic box on the floor and it contains unclaimed season tickets. I have no idea how many, but maybe 25-50. It is one thing to pick up the tickets and then not go to every game, but to not even bother to pick them up after making payment I find somewhat amazing.
As a season ticket holder and OHL and Battalion fan, I desperately want to be proven wrong, but I believe the team has already lost the city and it will be difficult to get it back. While the contents of the demographic have obviously changed over the years, I maintain that the core number of dedicated hockey fans here continues to be around 2,000, and while a friend of mine says on a per capita basis we are pretty decent, per capita doesn’t pay the bills.
We have been drifting slowly and relentlessly towards the 2,000 mark in attendance. I think the true colours will be revealed in the first 2 playoff games (presuming and hoping they happen) when the announced attendance will more accurately reflect those actually on hand. I think the magic number might be passed at that point. 2 years ago I was fearful of the long term prospects for the team, as of a couple of months ago I am fearful of the short to medium term.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
If Abbott can survive with 1500 - 2000 tickets then go for it. It's better attendance than what he was getting in Brampton. Anything less than 1200 and the city has to kick in.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
IMO, the team needs to give more tickets away in the dead sections. Run a bi-weekly contest where entire classes can win tickets for them and a parent and target the younger crowds. Get more people involved who may not normally bring their kids to those games and maybe you'll get some returning fans. I just don't think the team's done enough to get the word out in the community. Most people don't read the Nugget, listen to the local radio or watch the local news. How do you get the word out?

Realistically though. People in North Bay are fickle. They'll complain about lack of food selection--see a new restaurant--eat there once or twice--then never return. If you've seen one junior hockey game, you've seen them all, amirite?

Reactions: howndawg

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
12 games left and tied with Niagara for home ice in the first round. Who would've thought? Hope they can keep it up--I'd much rather play Niagara (1-7-1-1 in the last 10) than Kingston (8-1-1-0) or Barrie (7-3-0).

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Another nail-biter, another 2 points. Miss. applied serious pressure in the 3rd, I thought the Troops were a bit lucky to hang on, but they got it done. When the elite players for the 'heads are flying they make things happen. And what about Justin Brazeau? He is a hoss with hands.
I have been quite impressed with the play of Christian Propp since he got up and running (Dec., approx?). But 2 incidents in the last 2 games really stand out (and not in a good way): vs. Osh, up 2 and Gens' net empty, it looked like CP33 tried to shoot and score, puck blocked by Osh. led directly to a goal; vs. Miss., unsportsmanlike minor, up 2 and already short handed, led directly to a goal playing 3 on 5. Both of these strike me as being of the selfish variety, and I hope Coach/GM has a quiet word with the player to keep him on the right track.
Nice to see a slight uptick in attendance today, 2600+, hope it keeps going this way.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Another nail-biter, another 2 points. Miss. applied serious pressure in the 3rd, I thought the Troops were a bit lucky to hang on, but they got it done. When the elite players for the 'heads are flying they make things happen. And what about Justin Brazeau? He is a hoss with hands.
I have been quite impressed with the play of Christian Propp since he got up and running (Dec., approx?). But 2 incidents in the last 2 games really stand out (and not in a good way): vs. Osh, up 2 and Gens' net empty, it looked like CP33 tried to shoot and score, puck blocked by Osh. led directly to a goal; vs. Miss., unsportsmanlike minor, up 2 and already short handed, led directly to a goal playing 3 on 5. Both of these strike me as being of the selfish variety, and I hope Coach/GM has a quiet word with the player to keep him on the right track.
Nice to see a slight uptick in attendance today, 2600+, hope it keeps going this way.
Nice catch on the Propp shot. I jokingly said 'shoot' when he had it, but agreed, hopefully Butler made a note of it. He's still a young guy though so hopefully he learns from those mistakes. The kid's got poise.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Third bench minor in recent games making it a 5 on 3 for Missy and of course they scored. I don't believe that hydro commercial anymore.
As for attendance, let's remember that North Bay is not an affluent community. A game for an average family of four consisting of two adults and two elementary school children will log in at over a hundred bucks assuming tickets, concessions and maybe the 50/50. In January, there was a home game every Sunday and every Thursday except one. Unless the parents are exceptionally well off, seven home games close together is an entertainment luxury that many household budgets can't afford - it doesn't mean they don't support the team being here.

Reactions: belair

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Propp was one of the reasons why they were up by two in both games. Every goalie wants a shot at scoring a goal, you call it selfish many call it gutsy. Today's game Michnac tries to pitchfork him through the net, no Battalion stood up for him so he stood up for himself, you call it selfish many call it grit.

Reactions: too_long

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If North Bay ad Ice Dogs tie in the standings the Icedogs hold the tie breaker

The tie-breaker is who has the most wins before the season series.

Side note: and Ice Dogs haven't won the season series yet either. They lead 7 points to 5 but there's still 1 more NB/NIA game left so that could change if NB wins that game

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Baker with 3 pts in his last 17 games and Forhan with 2 in his last 16!! Isn't it time to play Brown and Evans and let them develop?

Greatger

May 11, 2007
If it wasn't for the penalties that were taken we would have beaten Oshawa 5 on 5. We were by far the faster team.
Watching the game on Cogeco/Rogers, I found their announcers to be very bias. Very much more-so than other out of town broadcasters. At least with Greg Thebege & Ranjan Rupal, they call it like it is and commend players whatever team they are playing for.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Baker with 3 pts in his last 17 games and Forhan with 2 in his last 16!! Isn't it time to play Brown and Evans and let them develop?
Disappointing because Baker tore it up to start off the season. Forhan can't handle the puck at all this year though, so he'll need to train hard this summer.

Reactions: H0CKEY17

H0CKEY17

Sep 1, 2017
IMO, the team needs to give more tickets away in the dead sections. Run a bi-weekly contest where entire classes can win tickets for them and a parent and target the younger crowds. Get more people involved who may not normally bring their kids to those games and maybe you'll get some returning fans. I just don't think the team's done enough to get the word out in the community. Most people don't read the Nugget, listen to the local radio or watch the local news. How do you get the word out?

Realistically though. People in North Bay are fickle. They'll complain about lack of food selection--see a new restaurant--eat there once or twice--then never return. If you've seen one junior hockey game, you've seen them all, amirite?

Even if it's not free tickets to schools, offer a good discounted rate and don't limit it to the local schools. I know Peterborough Pete's players visit schools thirty minutes outside of Peterborough and then have a discounted day for that school. Kids want to go because they were excited to meet the players and their friends want to go to the game.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Disappointing because Baker tore it up to start off the season. Forhan can't handle the puck at all this year though, so he'll need to train hard this summer.
Baker cant skate the OHL game.
Forhan is another 2nd round disaster.

Reactions: Uncle

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario

Totally agree, my buddy & I just mentioned that Wednesday night. Seems they play away games? Time is now to play them both.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Baker cant skate the OHL game.
Forhan is another 2nd round disaster.
forhan was more 3rd or early 4th so to take him in 2nd was putting alot of pressure on him hard worker more bottom 6 guy to me coming into his draft for ohl even though he had alot of points a bit inflated due to team he was with, hopefully he can turn it around for north bay does have ability to put up some points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad