Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
While I was watching the game today, I had a feeling that I haven't had since the Favre year in 2009. I was very confident that we would win the game. There was never really a point where I thought we would lose.

It's a fun feeling to be confident in your football team. It's been a really fun season so far!

Would be something if they played a SB in their own stadium. Although that's quite a ways away.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
No doubt... though the only qualifying tie breaker at the moment is points scored which they have in the bag... conference record would be the same, and no common opponents that either has lost to that the other won against.

They would still control the top spot.
I think the first tiebreaker that means anything is Strength of Victories actually. Followed by Strength of Schedule I believe? I looked it up a couple of weeks ago.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I think the first tiebreaker that means anything is Strength of Victories actually. Followed by Strength of Schedule I believe? I looked it up a couple of weeks ago.

From NFL.com
  1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  4. Strength of victory.
  5. Strength of schedule.
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best net points in conference games.
  9. Best net points in all games.
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  11. Coin toss.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, so if Seattle can win tonight (up 10-3 now), we'd be the top seed in the NFC by Strength of Victory tiebreaker (easily).

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I hope Spielman is willing to pay Schumer big money to keep him as our OC if hes willing to turn down a head coaching position and stay.

NFC playoffs are going to be brutal, the #6 seed will probably be at least 10-6 and no game will be a lock.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Heard on the radio a few hours ago that radio hosts in NY were suggesting the Jets should go after a combo of Keenum and Shurmur in the off-season. That would be interesting.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I hope Spielman is willing to pay Schumer big money to keep him as our OC if hes willing to turn down a head coaching position and stay.

NFC playoffs are going to be brutal, the #6 seed will probably be at least 10-6 and no game will be a lock.
Yeah, I have been pretty happy with Shurmur. I think he's a solid OC.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You are correct sir, I completely forgot about that one is so rarely a decider... usually ends up irrelevant, points come into play more often at the end, but not in this case.

That does actually put us in the driver's seat for the top seed if Seattle pulls this game out!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
You know what, I bet some Philadelphia journalist/blogger has written a column about Carson Wentz and his roots at NDSU, and titled the article "From Wentz He Came". I hate them for writing that article because it's such a lazy title, but I bet they thought it was so clever and witty.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I feel like the Vikings defense matches up well against the Eagles.

Who would've thought the Vikes would be #1 in the NFC with Keenum as their QB and Cook out for the season?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
#1 seed! Not sure if we can hold it, but this has been an amazing ride.

I'd rather be the 2 seed or 3 seed (depending on health) than the 1 seed in the NFL Playoffs. The 1 seed ends up getting a WC team like Dallas (with Elliot), Seahawks, or Packers (with Rodgers) as their first round opponent; teams that have been playing do or die football for weeks. The bye teams tend to look not great for some reason during the Playoffs.

I don't see a loss on the rest of their schedule. @car and @GB (w/ Rodgers) should be games but barring Cam or A-Rod having MVP quality games they should be wins. Chi at the end of the year could be a loss, if the Vikings sit everyone and use their practice squad.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'd rather be the 2 seed or 3 seed (depending on health) than the 1 seed in the NFL Playoffs. The 1 seed ends up getting a WC team like Dallas (with Elliot), Seahawks, or Packers (with Rodgers) as their first round opponent; teams that have been playing do or die football for weeks. The bye teams tend to look not great for some reason during the Playoffs.

I don't see a loss on the rest of their schedule. @car and @GB (w/ Rodgers) should be games but barring Cam or A-Rod having MVP quality games they should be wins. Chi at the end of the year could be a loss, if the Vikings sit everyone and use their practice squad.
Nope. Give me the 1 seed. Guaranteed home games all the way through the Super Bowl.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Agreed. The Packers haven't needed it recently (hence I see Wabit's stance), but I'll still take it all day.

It's not really even because of the Packers, I just remember seeing lot's of times the Colt's fell on their faces. I say the same thing about winning the Presidents Trophy in NHL, I'd rather finish as a 2/3 seed.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I have a bad feeling that the Packers will somehow screw things up for the Vikes. Green Bay just needs to tread water for 1 more week (they play Cleveland so they will likely win) and then Rodgers is back. They still are in the playoff hunt but basically need to win out.

I really like this Vikes team but I'm a Minnesota sports fan so I'm being extremely cautious about getting my hopes up. Maybe after a Super Bowl win... lol

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The 6 seed in the NFC is 8-4 right now, so the Pack are still two games back, and I have no idea on tiebreaker. It's very possible they run the table to get to 10-6, but I'm sure at least one 10-6 team misses the playoffs.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I have a bad feeling that the Packers will somehow screw things up for the Vikes. Green Bay just needs to tread water for 1 more week (they play Cleveland so they will likely win) and then Rodgers is back. They still are in the playoff hunt but basically need to win out.

I really like this Vikes team but I'm a Minnesota sports fan so I'm being extremely cautious about getting my hopes up. Maybe after a Super Bowl win... lol

The most MN thing the Vikings could do is. make it Super Bowl and lose in a spectacular way: Bama losing on a missed FG returned for a TD level of epicness.

The Packers almost have to win out, but could squeak into the Playoffs as a 6 seed that nobody wants to play.

WTF, ASU just hired Herm Edwards as their head coach? He hasn't coached at all in a few years, and hasn't in college in decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad