Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, the Herm thing is kinda weird. Not only the fact that he hasn't coached, but the fact that he'd leave the easy money of broadcasting to go out to college football where you have to work hard and go out to recruit kids/etc.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The 6 seed in the NFC is 8-4 right now, so the Pack are still two games back, and I have no idea on tiebreaker. It's very possible they run the table to get to 10-6, but I'm sure at least one 10-6 team misses the playoffs.

It could happen.
-Car has a rough schedule ahead of them: MN, GB (could be Rodgers first game back), and ATL. GB/Car head-to-head (H2H) tiebreaker
-Seahawks: @Jags, Rams, @Dallas (Elliot might be back?). GB has H2H.
-ATL: Saintsx2, Car. Has H2H vs GB.
-Dallas: @Oak, Sea, @Phi. GB H2H
-Det: GB to finish the season. Could end up as playing game for Playoffs.
GB: Browns (Hundley makes this not an auto win), @car (A-Rod could return), MN, @Det

GB really needs the Rams to win their Division, not the Seahawks. The NFC South teams could end up beating up on each other enough to knock them to the 10-6/9-7 range. I think it's a longer shot for GB to make it than the 8-7-1 team from a few years ago.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I have a bad feeling that the Packers will somehow screw things up for the Vikes. Green Bay just needs to tread water for 1 more week (they play Cleveland so they will likely win) and then Rodgers is back. They still are in the playoff hunt but basically need to win out.

I really like this Vikes team but I'm a Minnesota sports fan so I'm being extremely cautious about getting my hopes up. Maybe after a Super Bowl win... lol
I'm enjoying the hell out of this season. They don't come around very often, so enjoy it while we can!

Taking it game by game, and see what happens. As the Common Man would say, HALE. High aspirations, low expectations!

Reactions: HollaHaula

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
It could happen.
-Car has a rough schedule ahead of them: MN, GB (could be Rodgers first game back), and ATL. GB/Car head-to-head (H2H) tiebreaker
GB: Browns (Hundley makes this not an auto win), @car (A-Rod could return), MN, @Det

GB really needs the Rams to win their Division, not the Seahawks. The NFC South teams could end up beating up on each other enough to knock them to the 10-6/9-7 range. I think it's a longer shot for GB to make it than the 8-7-1 team from a few years ago.
Reading this post, and I'm chuckling at the tagging system, it auto tags people when you type @ + their username.

So HF users named Oak, Jags, Dallas, etc are getting notifications that they're being mentioned in this thread. I wonder if they get that a lot. :laugh:

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Reading this post, and I'm chuckling at the tagging system, it auto tags people when you type @ + their username.

So HF users named Oak, Jags, Dallas, etc are getting notifications that they're being mentioned in this thread. I wonder if they get that a lot. :laugh:

I didn't even know that. I guess that's the new thing I'll learn for the day.

Reactions: gphr513

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It could happen.

Yeah for sure, the South teams all play each other still so it's not impossible. And GB's got the Browns in the final game without Rodgers (probably) so they could do it. That win against TB was massive.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Keenum 13/13 in the second half. Awesome win. I can't believe this team is 10-2.

Third string QB too, kind of. Zimmer has to get some credit???

Our defense is to thank for a lot of our wins no doubt, but CK has been fantastic too, along with Thielen.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The story of the season for me has been the offensive line. They were so bad, like shockingly bad. And this year, they've been just fantastic. The two lines are probably the biggest part of our success this year.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
The story of the season for me has been the offensive line. They were so bad, like shockingly bad. And this year, they've been just fantastic. The two lines are probably the biggest part of our success this year.

This was the story early. Boone was in over his head (and apparently not a "Locker Room guy"), Kalil had been struggling for what seems like everything but his first season. It makes a huge difference just not having liabilities out there.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Here's a really good article

Why Case Keenum Can — and Can’t — Be A Franchise Quarterback

Keenum Pros:
-Pocket presence, he's making our Oline look better than it actually is
-Mobility, gives him options, harder to defend against
- Pre-snap reads (credit to Shurmur's offense)

Keenum Cons:
- Accuracy, Diggs/Thielen/Rudolph/Treadwell even are making some hard catches on inaccurate throws
- Arm Strength, "Brett Favre’s mindset, he’s got Chad Pennington’s arm"
- Decision making/progressions - doesn't survey whole field during play, locks into a receiver

Conclusion
Case Keenum is a very talented but deeply flawed quarterback.

On the one hand, he’s a smart quarterback who sees and reads the field well both pre and post-snap, and his pocket awareness and mobility can really elevate the level of offensive line play around him.

On the other, his inconsistent accuracy and limited arm strength are unavoidable, and his aggressiveness needs to be strictly reeled in by his offensive coordinator to keep him from turning the ball over.

If you do not scheme around his weaknesses, he can look a little like a gunslinger without the guns. But in the right system, with the right offensive coordinator, he can absolutely be a starting-caliber quarterback, and with the right supporting cast, maybe even an MVP candidate.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Keenum's been off today with his throws. Even some of the completions have been behind receivers a little bit.

Also, anyone see the Buffalo-Indy game? It's a snowpocalypse out there right now. It's almost halftime, and the two QBs are a combined 2/7 for 20 yards.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Keenum's been off today with his throws. Even some of the completions have been behind receivers a little bit.

Keenum has been hit-and-miss with his accuracy all season, it's just that usually the receivers were able to adjust and save him on his underthrows.

Although Rudy should not have dropped that pass earlier.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Also, anyone see the Buffalo-Indy game? It's a snowpocalypse out there right now. It's almost halftime, and the two QBs are a combined 2/7 for 20 yards.

Oh, man! Looks sick!

Been "playing" in the snow too.. like decade or two ago with friends. Huge fun! Of course without all the real rules, but had a real elliptical shaped non-european football ball.. and we run, threw, hit each other and cursed in the snow. After (or sometimes even during..) that, beer and sauna. Naturally.

Looks just like it :D:D

Reactions: Wild11MN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad