Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
sergachev naturally plays on the right side but who knows their strategy for his developpement.

im not quite sold on sergachev personnally and i think he should be package at his high value right now for a guy like duchene

Sergachev is a left handed that prefers to play on the right side , but he can play on the left side as well .His coach in Windsor uses him on the both sides .

Noah is a right handed that always played on the right side .

As I already said we 're pretty much set on the right side, doesn't mean I don't like Juulsen , I think he will be a solid D for years.

We have close to nothing on the left side as soon as Markov retires, we have no choice then to keep Sergachev...

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
sergachev naturally plays on the right side but who knows their strategy for his developpement.

im not quite sold on sergachev personnally and i think he should be package at his high value right now for a guy like duchene

It would be really hard to pass up on Sergachev for Duchene.
(they'd probably ask for Pleks+Sergachev for Duchene+ leftie dman?...to balance out salaries).

In the end, maybe it's Juulsen and Mete who will be our best young playoff dmen in several years...vs Sergachev. (but I could be wrong...maybe all three will be solid playoff dmen).

Playoffs:
Byron...Duchene...Gallagher
Pacioretty...Galchenyuk...Radulov
Hudon...Danault...Shaw
Carr...Mitchell...McCarron/Flynn

LEFT (near future/future):
Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu, Sergachev (left?! right?!, Mete.

RIGHT (near future/future):
Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Lernout.

Last edited:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Roadhouse.

0cd496bc62a2e2b3bfcdd703431f233c6814f64a7519b02cbd48d6c636ea5c38.jpg

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Remember what we said about Komisarek - Hainsey duo?

And? What's your point exactly?

It's like saying all the movies made by director x sucked therefore all movies made by any upcoming young director will suck forever for eternity.

Sergachev and Juulsen are good prospects. They would still be good prospect if they were the property of another team.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal

It's like saying all the movies made by director x sucked therefore all movies made by any upcoming young director will suck forever for eternity.

Sergachev and Juulsen are good prospects. They would still be good prospect if they were the property of another team.

Yes good prospects and they should remain that, prospects.
Way too easy to get excited about prospects. People were labeling Komisarek as the next captain even before his 1st NHL game. Komisarek and Hainsey were supposed to be the foundation of the D corp for the next 10-15 years. I've set my expectations lower to avoid any disappointment.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

He has a point... Fans usually make potential future lineup and most of the time years later it's so out of touch... Case in point... Kostitsyn brothers, Tinordi, etc.

Yes Sergachev has the tools to win a Norris but he is not gurarenteed to be a top defenseman. Anything could happe.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Way too easy to get excited about prospects. People were labeling Komisarek as the next captain even before his 1st NHL game. Komisarek and Hainsey were supposed to be the foundation of the D corp for the next 10-15 years. I've set my expectations lower to avoid any disappointment.

So no fans in the world should be excited about a top 10 pick.....NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA....

Komisarek/Hainsey....wow, you're using an example from 16yrs ago...okay then

How did the Perry/Getzlaf duo work out?
How about the Richards/Carter?
Sedin/Sedin?

Enjoy your glass half empty way of thinking.

He has a point... Fans usually make potential future lineup and most of the time years later it's so out of touch... Case in point... Kostitsyn brothers, Tinordi, etc.

Yes Sergachev has the tools to win a Norris but he is not gurarenteed to be a top defenseman. Anything could happe.

That's the fun part of being a fan :)

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Remember what we said about Komisarek - Hainsey duo?

Montreal draft players that can skate now. Komisarek was always suspect in his skating, and Hollywood Hainsey always had question marks about his mental game.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

to be fair, the poster said they COULD be a good foundation. I think any hab fan over the age of 25 knows you can't go all in with our prospects before they play in the nhl.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Juulsen's a safe bet to play in the NHL because he does most things well. You shouldn't hold things against him because of fans expectations from previous prospects. The question is how good can he be? A bottom pairing D, a mid pairing D, a top pairing D? I see him as a mid pairing D but if things don't work out he might end up a bottom pairing D or at worst an AHLer if his skating/foot speed/mobility hold him back but I don't think they are big issues so I don't see that happening. That said we all know that most prospects don't make it, some peak at 18/19/20, some just can't progress at the pro level, you never know how things will go.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Juulsen's a safe bet to play in the NHL because he does most things well. You shouldn't hold things against him because of fans expectations from previous prospects. The question is how good can he be? A bottom pairing D, a mid pairing D, a top pairing D? I see him as a mid pairing D but if things don't work out he might end up a bottom pairing D or at worst an AHLer if his skating/foot speed/mobility hold him back but I don't think they are big issues so I don't see that happening. That said we all know that most prospects don't make it, some peak at 18/19/20, some just can't progress at the pro level, you never know how things will go.

He's a future NHLer for sure. Just a matter of how large a role he's able to carve out for himself. I, too, suspect him to fall into a middle pairing 18-20 minute/night role, but you never know.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who has concern with Juulsen mobility. I think if anything hold him back from playing in the NHL it's that. I like his physicality, his positioning, his first pass not so much his mobility. Not bad mind you but is it good enough?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who has concern with Juulsen mobility. I think if anything hold him back from playing in the NHL it's that. I like his physicality, his positioning, his first pass not so much his mobility. Not bad mind you but is it good enough?

It's a bigger concern with players who don't read the play or position themselves as well, that's for sure. Anticipation and positioning mitigate mobility concerns to a great degree, so I don't foresee too bumpy or drawn out of an adjustment period. The type of players that he draws assignments against might be affected on some level, however.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Surefire 2nd pairing defenseman who does eveything right, nothing exceptional.. I absolutely love the maturity of his game, thats already pro level. Juulsen could play in the AHL right now and look good. He is steady, reliable, moves the puck with accuracy, great positionally, he is physical and reads the play very well.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

He's mobile enough, and do you even watch him play? His first pass? lol

Juulsen is a really good young dman, playing for a very defensive minded coach. Kids a rock out there.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Juulsen is a really good young dman, playing for a very defensive minded coach. Kids a rock out there.

I could be way off here. But in all honesty, I see him as a Weber-type defenseman. Not the most mobile, but mobile enough to be effective. He's a shut down guy who doesn't play the complicated game. His passes are not dangerous and usually to the safest player to receive the pass. He can land some pretty big hits. All in all, I can definitely see him growing into a Weber-esque defenseman. And I say this more in the defensive aspect of the game. Offensively, I don't think he'll score as many goals or points as Weber.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

I did watch him play and while it looks very good at the junior level it will be a struggle at the next level. I saw him live twice (semi final and final) at the WJC and you could find that he was not used to that level as everything was coming faster. He was not able to find the shooting lane or angle for his shot. He was under intense pressure by the forecheck but yes his first pass was more often than not very good. You might laugh about it but it's veey important for the defenseman to deliver good first pass than always dumping the puck or creating turnovers.

I could be way off here. But in all honesty, I see him as a Weber-type defenseman. Not the most mobile, but mobile enough to be effective. He's a shut down guy who doesn't play the complicated game. His passes are not dangerous and usually to the safest player to receive the pass. He can land some pretty big hits. All in all, I can definitely see him growing into a Weber-esque defenseman. And I say this more in the defensive aspect of the game. Offensively, I don't think he'll score as many goals or points as Weber.
Weber is a good comparable but he is still not there physically. Weber is a man mountain... Juulsen could get there eventually but it will take time. Also as you pointed out I don't think he will deliver that much offense. That being said I also thought McDonagh would be limited offensively and become an elite shutdown defenseman but he is doing better offensively than I anticipated in the pro.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Remember what they said about McDonagh and Subban

I was around in both time... Komisarek hype was out of the roof. He was labelled the next Scott Stevens and the next big captain. He was overhyped but the habs had nothing to show during those years.. the rebuild was slow and the fans only hope was their prospects.

For McDonagh there were little hype as he was a very safe prospect with no flaw but not great at anything other than his mobility. Subban was the best defensive prospect we ever had (since I have been following the habs) he was brought down slowly and people were always questionning him even though he was dominating every where he went. Sergachev is the closest we have to Subban but he is not there yet. Juulsen and McDonagh do have similarities (as defensive first type of defenseman) but McDonagh offered more as he was an elite skater.

My 2 cents. It's very hard to project defenseman and it's better to be very patient with them than to rush them to the NHL. They also need to be strong mentally to perform in a pressure cooker market like Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad