Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I did watch him play and while it looks very good at the junior level it will be a struggle at the next level. I saw him live twice (semi final and final) at the WJC and you could find that he was not used to that level as everything was coming faster. He was not able to find the shooting lane or angle for his shot. He was under intense pressure by the forecheck but yes his first pass was more often than not very good. You might laugh about it but it's veey important for the defenseman to deliver good first pass than always dumping the puck or creating turnovers.

I have watched him a lot this year, I see numerous WHL games. I find your comment about the first pass curious, because I felt this is what he did best at the WJC. He constantly was covering up for the rest of the team and making the safe play out of the defensive zone. Many commented on how Canada benefited from his first pass.

Watching him in junior, he is counted on to be a rock in his own end, and he quite honestly does that night in and night out, again with a smart play in his zone.

Anyways, I really like the kid, he has a lot of tools that do remind me of a young Weber and a very good leader as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Surefire 2nd pairing defenseman who does eveything right, nothing exceptional.. I absolutely love the maturity of his game, thats already pro level. Juulsen could play in the AHL right now and look good. He is steady, reliable, moves the puck with accuracy, great positionally, he is physical and reads the play very well.

agreed, that's how I see him other then I wouldn't call him a surefire 2nd pairing blueliner as I want to see how his skating/mobility holds up as he moves up each level.

Consider this though, I'm sure that Hainsey has had a much longer career than anyone would have predicted.

I know I am surprised, didn't think he would make it this long as he struggled in his own end. Beaulieu reminds me a lot of him and have been saying so for some time. Skilled guys that have questions around the ears but have that skating, speed, mobility, size and puck moving abilities that are highly sought after these days.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I wonder, with the way Brandon Carlo is playing for Boston, how Juulsen would fare in the NHL right now.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I wonder, with the way Brandon Carlo is playing for Boston, how Juulsen would fare in the NHL right now.

Not a great comparison as Carlo is much bigger and a good skater for his size. Juulsen would have been given a shot as well if he had Carlo's physical attributes. Juulsen was a higher draft pick due to his higher upside but it is no surpise that Carlo got to the NHL first.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not a great comparison as Carlo is much bigger and a good skater for his size. Juulsen would have been given a shot as well if he had Carlo's physical attributes. Juulsen was a higher draft pick due to his higher upside but it is no surpise that Carlo got to the NHL first.

Carlo was severly underrated though. Like you mentioned he has the ideal physical tools for a defenseman. There were questions about his hockey sense (which are excellent) and offensive potential (again he was severaly under appreciated in the dub during his draft year).

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I was around in both time... Komisarek hype was out of the roof. He was labelled the next Scott Stevens and the next big captain. He was overhyped but the habs had nothing to show during those years.. the rebuild was slow and the fans only hope was their prospects.

For McDonagh there were little hype as he was a very safe prospect with no flaw but not great at anything other than his mobility. Subban was the best defensive prospect we ever had (since I have been following the habs) he was brought down slowly and people were always questionning him even though he was dominating every where he went. Sergachev is the closest we have to Subban but he is not there yet. Juulsen and McDonagh do have similarities (as defensive first type of defenseman) but McDonagh offered more as he was an elite skater.

My 2 cents. It's very hard to project defenseman and it's better to be very patient with them than to rush them to the NHL. They also need to be strong mentally to perform in a pressure cooker market like Montreal.

I recall people being quite down on McDonagh a little before he got traded. The expectations certainly weren't sky high the way they are for Sergachev. He had mediocre, stagnating numbers in college and as I recall, wasn't too keen on moving to the AHL.

The Subban hype really started after his amazing first pro season with the Dogs. I recall claiming and arguing ad nauseam on the main board that he had Norris potential after his rookie season, at the time he was losing polls to the likes of Del Zotto and Schenn...

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I recall people being quite down on McDonagh a little before he got traded. The expectations certainly weren't sky high the way they are for Sergachev. He had mediocre, stagnating numbers in college and as I recall, wasn't too keen on moving to the AHL.

The Subban hype really started when after his amazing first pro season with the Dogs. I recall claiming and arguing ad nauseam on the main board that he had Norris potential after his rookie season, at the time he was losing polls to the likes of Del Zotto and Schenn...

Subban was like a +65 in his last season of OHL, with the 2nd best player on his team being around +30. That's around when I became a believer.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

The Subban hype really started after his amazing first pro season with the Dogs. I recall claiming and arguing ad nauseam on the main board that he had Norris potential after his rookie season, at the time he was losing polls to the likes of Del Zotto and Schenn...

Habs players never get the respect they deserve here. It's old hat I'm afraid.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Juulsen is Emelin round 2. Doesn't hit like Emelin but plays a steady defensive game and his offenseive skills are limited it appears

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yikes. I would not. We can find another top 4 potential dman, while we also have Sergachev in the pipeline. What we do not have is another McCarron type forward.

You mean a slow forward? We have lots in the AHL. If this kids doesn't get some foot speed, he's not playing here. Juulsen is really solid, I would keep him over McCarron..

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
You mean a slow forward? We have lots in the AHL. If this kids doesn't get some foot speed, he's not playing here. Juulsen is really solid, I would keep him over McCarron..

Slow? Are we watching the same game? McCarron skates as fast as Galchenyuk :laugh: . We need a big, heavy forward who can win faceoffs and grind it out. Juulsen, while a very good prospect, wont become a #1 D like many fans here thing. Not every prospect is a Ryan McDonaugh.

If Juulsen tops out at as a #4 D, which isnt bad - I would much rather keep McCarron.

My 2 cents

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yikes. I would not. We can find another top 4 potential dman, while we also have Sergachev in the pipeline. What we do not have is another McCarron type forward.

Montreal has NO RHD depth at all. And finding a good D prospect isn't easy. McCarron is probably only going to be a bottom-6 guy. A guy his size is a huge asset, but not a need either.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Slow? Are we watching the same game? McCarron skates as fast as Galchenyuk :laugh: . We need a big, heavy forward who can win faceoffs and grind it out. Juulsen, while a very good prospect, wont become a #1 D like many fans here thing. Not every prospect is a Ryan McDonaugh.

If Juulsen tops out at as a #4 D, which isnt bad - I would much rather keep McCarron.

My 2 cents

There's no guarantee that McCarron becomes a serviceable C for us, just the same as there's no guarantee on Juulsen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Juulsen (with other pieces) is the guy I would dangle for Duchene. Juulsen, Gallagher, 2nd round pick. Habs need Juulsen on D and to also provide cap relieve in the future but if that package snags Duchene then I do it. But I'm not going any higher than that. I may be willing to change the 2nd rounder to a 1st rounder but with hesitation.

Based on what the apparent asking price is for Duchene, some will say the offer is nowhere near enough. However, I really think that's similar to what it will end up being when (if) Duchene is traded. Analyze Duchene (2 years left) for Gallagher (4 years left) straight up. It's not far off as you may think when you factor remaining contact left. Add Juulsen and 2nd round pick and it makes it a solid offer. Aves want Sergachev but Habs are not interested. Just like the Sens are not interested when Chabot's name is mentioned.

There's no guarantee that McCarron becomes a serviceable C for us, just the same as there's no guarantee on Juulsen.

I would put money on Juulsen becoming a top 4D before I would put money on McCarron becoming a 2nd or 3rd line center! McCarron will be the future 3rd line RW IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I would put money on Juulsen becoming a top 4D before I would put money on McCarron becoming a 2nd or 3rd line center! McCarron will be the future 3rd line RW IMO.

I think it'll take another 2-3 years for Juulsen to be NHL ready, whereas McCarron probably becomes a bottom-6 regular in the NHL next season (3rd line of Byron, Danault and BigMac sounds good to me). Even then, Juulsen will be 3rd pairing bound until one of Petry or Weber leaves... given that 3rd pairing D doesn't seem like a difficult problem to solve for MB, Juulsen is perhaps an odd-man-out asset through our so-called window. (3 years? 5 years? either or...)

In the same line of thought as your Duchene proposal, I would shop a package of Juulsen, roster player X and picks (or fwd prospects not named Lehkonen) for an upgrade on player X. Doesn't create any hole, and gives us a boost. Roster player X could be Gallagher, Plekanec, I don't care. Create a spark, do something.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I think it'll take another 2-3 years for Juulsen to be NHL ready, whereas McCarron probably becomes a bottom-6 regular in the NHL next season (3rd line of Byron, Danault and BigMac sounds good to me). Even then, Juulsen will be 3rd pairing bound until one of Petry or Weber leaves... given that 3rd pairing D doesn't seem like a difficult problem to solve for MB, Juulsen is perhaps an odd-man-out asset through our so-called window. (3 years? 5 years? either or...)

In the same line of thought as your Duchene proposal, I would shop a package of Juulsen, roster player X and picks (or fwd prospects not named Lehkonen) for an upgrade on player X. Doesn't create any hole, and gives us a boost. Roster player X could be Gallagher, Plekanec, I don't care. Create a spark, do something.

I've watched hockey for long enough, and imagine that you have as well, to know that there is no guarantee that Weber/Petry will be the same players they are in 3 years. Thus I don't really see the point in prognosticating like you have in the second half of your post, but i'm just one man

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I've watched hockey for long enough, and imagine that you have as well, to know that there is no guarantee that Weber/Petry will be the same players they are in 3 years. Thus I don't really see the point in prognosticating like you have in the second half of your post, but i'm just one man

Wishful thinking on my part to make it ok to lose Juulsen in a trade perhaps, with an ounce of objectivity in that Weber's game & conditioning are at the other end of the 'chance to fade' spectrum compared with, say, Gallagher. As for Petry, sure he might fade a bit but in my mind we would end up with an average/decent #3D - as opposed to today's version i.e. a good/very good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille