Not open for further replies.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Reilly-Weber
Mete-Juulsen
Alzner-Petry

I think is the lineup on D we'll be seeing in January 2019
10 millions on a 3rd pairing hahah crazy but probably the reality. Still even if we finish among the last team this year (I wouldn't be so sure). We're gonna have some fun hockey this year.

Reactions: 417

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And that's the problem I see with Julien. He isn't the type of coach that will allow and accept some of the kids making mistakes.
He did last season but let's face it, the season was over in November and he knew it.
But I completely agree with you, the league is changing and moving forward, time for us to get rid of the dinosaurs!!
Wait! most of this board wants Kotkaniemi back in Finland and Julien says last night he can't imagine this team without him and you post this. Julien is also the coach that brought into the league Bergeron an eighteen year old. I think Julien just can't accept dumb or lazy mistakes. For instance he probably can't stomach Scherbak's play.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Wait! most of this board wants Kotkaniemi back in Finland and Julien says last night he can't imagine this team without him and you post this. Julien is also the coach that brought into the league Bergeron an eighteen year old. I think Julien just can't accept dumb or lazy mistakes. For instance he probably can't stomach Scherbak's play.

Because of some alleged issues with Kessel and Seguin, Julien's success with young players like Bergeron (should be noted Julien wasn't coaching the Bruins until Bergeron was in his 20s), Marchand, Lucic, Krejci, Krug will always be overlooked. They succeeded in spite of him, I guess.

Jul 6, 2016

Kotkaniemi will not go back to Finland. He will play in Montreal or at worst, in Laval. They gonna be able to recall him anytime the want and Bouchard will take care of him.... But the way he is playing right now, and progressing, he is in a Habs jersey for long.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I guess...but DeBrusk, Grzelcyk, Heinen all played the equivalent of 1 AHL season respectively.

Ryan Donato went straight from NCAA to Boston

Anders Bjork, who I forgot to mention, only played 9 AHL games last year...he played 30 with the Bruins before getting hurt.

None of these guys played years in the AHL.

The league is getting younger and younger...that's the wave right now, smart teams ride this wave.

Stubborn teams & coaches continue to use the mantra that "young = mistake prone".
Donato is a 2014 draftee and hes making it in the NHL in 2019, thats all that matters.

Patience.

Reactions: DAChampion

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Donato is a 2014 draftee and hes making it in the NHL in 2019, thats all that matters.

Patience.
Yes...cause he stayed in college.

That's as much HIS decision as the teams.

You're still not understanding that I'm talking about development at professional level.

Not amateur level.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

Claude brought in Bergeron? I thought Claude got there several years after Bergeron's rookie year

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes...cause he stayed in college.

That's as much HIS decision as the teams.

You're still not understanding that I'm talking about development at professional level.

Not amateur level.
Development is development, amateur and profesionnal only has one difference, paid, or in most cases, paid slightly more to more.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Go to any teams board and to a certain degree you'll see the same complaints. It's always a part of being in the NHL, which is why generally speaking you want to be a bit cautious with young players. If the risk is significant, and the development time is very important it's better to not play them in the NHL.

That said we are likely one of the biggest offenders. With Therrien and Julien being among the worst.
It goes beyond the current coaches/mgmt

There’s this myth of the glory years the fans, media, team all try and live up to when in reality most of their fans and players now weren’t even alive to even see their last Cup. History and tradition mean SFA now but still we can’t say rebuild. Just about everyone of our 1st round ‘busts’ in the last 20 years looked their best at their first camp/1st season and regressed

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think this is where we would disagree. Subban didn't have the the experience, sure, but he had the raw talent of those players. Markov was better, no doubt, but it was Markov's experience that separated him from Subban. I don't think Gorges was ever better than Subban, I actually remember Subban covering up Gorges weakness in his own end. I don't even remember Hamrlik and Subban on the same team. Maybe for a season?

Agreed, I don't think there was ever a point in time where Gorges was better than Subban.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I guess...but DeBrusk, Grzelcyk, Heinen all played the equivalent of 1 AHL season respectively.

Anders Bjork, who I forgot to mention, only played 9 AHL games last year...he played 30 with the Bruins before getting hurt.

The league is getting younger and younger...that's the wave right now, smart teams ride this wave.

Stubborn teams & coaches continue to use the mantra that "young = mistake prone".

Well, to his credit, Julien was asked abut what weaknesses are in Kotka's game, and he said, "none, really".

Reactions: DAChampion and 417

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It goes beyond the current coaches/mgmt

There’s this myth of the glory years the fans, media, team all try and live up to when in reality most of their fans and players now weren’t even alive to even see their last Cup. History and tradition mean SFA now but still we can’t say rebuild. Just about everyone of our 1st round ‘busts’ in the last 20 years looked their best at their first camp/1st season and regressed

Agreed, for whatever reason our fanbase tends towards blaming our star players for not carrying the team on their backs, instead of realizing the problem is there aren't enough star players to compete. It's happening with Price, we saw it with Subban, and before that it happened with Koivu.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Development is development, amateur and profesionnal only has one difference, paid, or in most cases, paid slightly more to more.
It has been said by many coaches that the NHL is not a development league.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It has been said by many coaches that the NHL is not a development league.

I disagree with the many coaches that say that and agree with the many coaches who disagree with it.

I remember when Komisarek was first breaking in and he was given ice time because they believed in his future. Some players are worth investing in that can no longer be sent down, others not.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

You can't make this kind of post, it's too logical and completely contrary to the hfboards narrative about literally every coach ever. Every single f***ing coach gets talked about in the same way.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Those coaches are stupid and will never win anything. You breed young talent and you win cups.
NHL coaches for the most part are looking for a ready to win and compete roster. Some however like the Habs current roster who know they don’t stand a chance in hell of winning anything will use the season to develop players.

The NHL is not a development league, it is the premier hockey league in the world.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Because of some alleged issues with Kessel and Seguin, Julien's success with young players like Bergeron (should be noted Julien wasn't coaching the Bruins until Bergeron was in his 20s), Marchand, Lucic, Krejci, Krug will always be overlooked. They succeeded in spite of him, I guess.

And don't forget Dougie Hamilton
I like Claude just as much as the other guy, but he needs to be more patient with the young players cause they WILL make mistakes

Reactions: Mrb1p

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Mike Sullivan coach of the Penguins is the one who brought Bergeron into the league as an 18 year old in Boston

Reactions: Andrei79 and Mrb1p

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

All of these guys had years of development before making the team

You've even listed someone who spent 5 years post draft in lower leagues, the only defenseman. He put up a 30 point season in the AHL before making the team. The fastest guy on that list, made the Bruins in his D+3.

Seems like letting guys develop is the right thing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
All of these guys had years of development before making the team

You've even listed someone who spent 5 years post draft in lower leagues, the only defenseman. He put up a 30 point season in the AHL before making the team. The fastest guy on that list, made the Bruins in his D+3.

Seems like letting guys develop is the right thing.
Sigh...you keep bringing up amateur vs professional leagues.

This entire debate started with that poster suggesting great players, also developed in the AHL, he challenged me to find 10 great players who didnt play any significant amount of games in the AHL (or KHL or Swedish Elite League...aka professional leagues)

NCAA is not the AHL...

Grzelcyk spent 1 season in the AHL...I dont consider that "significant" as that poster said it needed to be.

You're conflating arguments here...

Again...the argument is whether or not prospects NEED AHL or pro league development.

Not all of them do...and the players from the Bruins I listed, either played no AHL (MacAvoy) or very little AHL (everyone else I mentioned)

So if we were to apply this to the Habs...

I fully agree with letting Ryan Poehling pkay in the NCAA as long as he needs.

But if and when he eventually turns pro...I would have no issues if he makes the team right away and doesn't play any games in the AHL. He shouldn't never any.

Obviously, junior aged prospects or NCAA eligible prospects, should stay in their respective leagues as long as they need it. They can develop there just fine.

But once a player turns pro...playing in the AHL is not necessarily a precursor to greatness. MANY great players who play today, never or barely played in the AHL.

As long as he proves hes ready at camp.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sigh...you keep bringing up amateur vs professional leagues.

This entire debate started with that poster suggesting great players, also developed in the AHL.

NCAA is not the AHL...

Grzelcyk spent 1 season in the AHL...I dont consider that "significant" as that poster said it needed to be.

You're conflating arguments here...

Again...the argument is whether or not prospects NEED AHL or pro league development.

Not all of them do...and the players from the Bruins I listed, either played no AHL (MacAvoy) or very little AHL (everyone else I mentioned)

So if we were to apply this to the Habs...

I fully agree with letting Ryan Poehling pkay in the NCAA as long as he needs.

But if and when he eventually turns pro...I would have no issues if he makes the team right away and doesn't play any games in the AHL.

As long as he proves hes ready at camp.

The poster you quoted said they (Bruins) let their players develop for years, to which you listed players who were left to develop for years.

Reactions: Mrb1p

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The poster you quoted said they (Bruins) let their players develop for years, to which you listed players who were left to develop for years.
Lol

Again, I was talking strictly about AHL...

Obviously, the Bruins wouldn't make Jake DeBrusk make their team as an 18yr old...

I mean, that goes without saying.

Juniors is juniors...pro is pro.

I mean, this is basic stuff...why are we debating whether or not its prudent for team to let their junior aged prospects, develop in junior?

I never argued against that...I'm only a s strictly talking about when they sign and turn into pros.

Not every prospect needs 2-3yrs of AHL time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad