Speculation: Noah Hanifin on the trade block

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think so, I think that will be a package that gets shipped out to a Eastern Conference US team but Eichel is NOT the the return.
Eichel in Cow Town would be a big improvement. Then Monahan could fall into the number two role. Flames are giving up a lot though. Young 100 point forward, young top pairing D, and a first.
Smart way to maximize return for Hanifin.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I like Hanifin and his contract for NJ but some of these suggestions are crazy. He's unlikely a top pair guy, so you're talking about a 2nd pair LD signed for 4 more years at 5 million per. That's not that attractive. The main plus is his age makes him unlikely to completely fall off.

I value him at about 20th overall or 18th overall alone right now and even then I don't know if I do it.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Flames fans or people that have watched Hanifin play more than 20 games in the past 2 years - what is Hanifin? Is he a 23 yr old d man who is still improving his consistency, d zone play, and offense? Or is he a brain dead, never gonna put it all together, toolsy player, that has plateaued?

Right Wing

Oct 3, 2020
Gaudreau
Hanifin
B Robinson
2020 2nd
2020 4th

for

18th & 20th
Damon Severson
Kyle Palmieri
Nolan Foote

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Flames fans or people that have watched Hanifin play more than 20 games in the past 2 years - what is Hanifin? Is he a 23 yr old d man who is still improving his consistency, d zone play, and offense? Or is he a brain dead, never gonna put it all together, toolsy player, that has plateaued?

I thought he looked more dynamic and offensive under Peters. Ward reigned him in and he didn’t get any PP time. I actually would like to see him get a lengthy look on the first PP unit. He’s got high skill but yeah the brain farts are there. I am very reluctant to see him leave though. I think with the right coach he could be scary good.

Reactions: Video Coach

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

Having been paired with Hamonic definitely affected his game. Unfortunately that pairing did not work very well. I’d say he has room to grow and of given a good partner he will do so... he’s 23.

your last statement is weird because even if he stays the same, he isn’t brain dead. He’s a solid top 4 guy.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I like Hanifin and his contract for NJ but some of these suggestions are crazy. He's unlikely a top pair guy, so you're talking about a 2nd pair LD signed for 4 more years at 5 million per. That's not that attractive. The main plus is his age makes him unlikely to completely fall off.

I value him at about 20th overall or 18th overall alone right now and even then I don't know if I do it.

the guy had a +18 season as a 21 year second pair old 6’3 Defencemen who skates like the wind. He absolutely has top pair potential. He’s just inconsistent and it showed this year. But his raw ability is special. Defencemen peak from 24-33 usually. 18 or 20th is laughable. Look at what you got for Blake Coleman. How is Hanifin with 4 years worth significantly less than Coleman for 1 and a half?

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
the guy had a +18 season as a 21 year second pair old 6’3 Defencemen who skates like the wind. He absolutely has top pair potential. He’s just inconsistent and it showed this year. But his raw ability is special. Defencemen peak from 24-33 usually. 18 or 20th is laughable. Look at what you got for Blake Coleman. How is Hanifin with 4 years worth significantly less than Coleman for 1 and a half?

Skjei for what was projected to be a late 1st is a better comparable imo. Similar player, similar contract, and that was seen as a bit of an overpayment even.

Coleman's package was due to his contract and TB's deciding they needed what he brought for two seasons, aren't many bottom 6 guys that score at top 6 rates, signed to deals like that. I don't see a GM thinking they need what Hanifin brings and going over the top to acquire it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He’s got tons of room to grow and he does show flashes of brilliance, so I think there’s tons of potential still there. The second part is not correct in any sense though, even if he plateaued today, he’s still an unspectacular 3/4 D, which has value in its own right.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Gaudreau
Hanifin
B Robinson
2020 2nd
2020 4th

for

18th & 20th
Damon Severson
Kyle Palmieri
Nolan Foote

One way of breaking down this trade proposal:

-> = roughly equal

Gaudreau -> 18th & 4th
Hanifin -> 20th
2nd & Robinson < or -> (that would be a stretch) Nolan Foote

Pamieri & Severson gifts to Calgary???

Last edited:

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009

-> = roughly equal

Gaudreau -> 18th & 4th
Hanifin -> 20th

Gaudreau is worth 2 spots ahead of Hanifin? Try again.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Gaudreau is worth 2 spots ahead of Hanifin? Try again.
All I'm trying to do (sole purpose) with my post is show that this isn't a very good or balanced trade for NJD.

The rest is detail and not very important. You can quibble with the details (e.g., replace the 4th with the 2nd for the Gaudreau segment, or make it quantity two 2nds plus Gaudreau, etc., whatever), but its forest versus trees.

Last edited:

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa

-> = roughly equal

Gaudreau -> 18th & 4th
Hanifin -> 20th

Uhh Calgary doesn't need to commit cap to average players like Palmieri

Gaudreau would command #7 + as a base. 7+20 is more along the lines

Hanifin to Severson is a downgrade.

Calgary's 2nd to Foote is a downgrade.

Horrendous

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I am a huge fan of Noah Hanifin and believe if he's with the right team he'd be one of the top dmen in the league. Thought he was a good fit with the Hurricanes and thought he would've been their captain one day. Would love him on the Jets but Morrissey has the 1LHD locked up.

If I was the NY Islanders I'd get right to it. He'd be the perfect 1D and pairing for Dobson.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I am a huge fan of Noah Hanifin and believe if he's with the right team he'd be one of the top dmen in the league. Thought he was a good fit with the Hurricanes and thought he would've been their captain one day. Would love him on the Jets but Morrissey has the 1LHD locked up.

If I was the NY Islanders I'd get right to it. He'd be the perfect 1D and pairing for Dobson.
As a fan of an Islanders divisional competitor, I too would love if they traded for him to be their #1 d-man.

Reactions: Guttersniped

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Uhh Calgary doesn't need to commit cap to average players like Palmieri

Gaudreau would command #7 + as a base. 7+20 is more along the lines

Hanifin to Severson is a downgrade.

Calgary's 2nd to Foote is a downgrade.

Horrendous
Just my opinion, but NJD's #7 pick could be Rossi, Perfetti or Drysdale. Those picks have the potential to as good or possibly better than Gaudreau.

NJD would be better off keeping their 1st round picks in my opinion because they are a rebuilding team, and Gaudreau & Hanifin would add $11.7 m of cap to a team that has been spending closer to the cap floor than the cap ceiling. Gaudreau only has 2 years of term left on his contract, so the benefit of Gaudreau for NJD could be relatively short-lived. So, NJD does not need to trade their picks either.

Severson and Hanifin are different kind of defenders. Severson is more defensive and stay-at-home, Hanifin the offensive defenseman. Both styles play important roles on a team, so its a question of team needs I think.

*** So, to demonstrate the concept, if I revise to Gaudreau -> 18th, 20th, Foote, 2nd and Hanifin -> Severson + 4th, then I don't think Robinson is equal to Palmieri, no?

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that a 2nd > Foote as both are mystery boxes at this time.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Gaudreau is not worth just 18th and a measly 4th come on.

I said roughly equal & edited OP because people are more focused on details vs. the concept - see # 246. The actual, real point of the post was to demonstrate the concept. You (and others) seem to have missed this. Can't see continuing this discussion as a worthwhile endeavour.

Last edited:

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
All I'm trying to do (sole purpose) with my post is show that this isn't a very good or balanced trade for NJD.

The rest is detail and not very important. You can quibble with the details (e.g., replace the 4th with the 2nd for the Gaudreau segment, or make it quantity two 2nds plus Gaudreau, etc., whatever), but its forest versus trees.

It's not forest vs. trees. Saying Gaudreau is worth 18 and a 4th is flat out ridiculous. IF Flames were interested (which I wouldn't be) in trading him, it'd take 7 and 18 plus more. Using it as "rough value" is preposterous as it's not close. How about the Flames give you 19 for Hughes then if rough value is all that matters?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad