Speculation: Noah Hanifin on the trade block

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Fan 960(local Calgary Sports radio), saying that it is very likely that Noah Hanifin gets traded.

I didn’t hear them say that. From what I heard, they were wondering if the Flames would be thinking about trading him. They asked Johnston, who basically said it could be a possibility.

Not that I heard it all, but I certainly didn’t get anything near “very likely” from listening to it.

Reactions: BHD and Rockmorton

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This makes no sense. A 23yr old #1/2 with a $4.95mil cap hit. Calgary has a lot of other players they should get rid of first.

Actually, it might.

Flames LD:

Gio
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Mackey
Forbort*

Flames RD

Andersson
Brodie*
Hamonic**
Gustavsson**
Yeselin

* = unlikely to return
** = probably hella gone.

LD has 5 bodies likely to return for the 3 pairings. RD has 1 only and Brodie is a very heavy maybe for 2. If Brodie/Gus/Hamonic are all gone, we either move Hanifin for a RD, OR assets so that we have cap space to divert to a UFA (ie: Barrie). Hanifin out makes sense not because we dislike him, but because we may have to shuffle the chairs around and fill a specific need.

I didn’t hear them say that. From what I heard, they were wondering if the Flames would be thinking about trading him. They asked Johnston, who basically said it could be a possibility.

Not that I heard it all, but I certainly didn’t get anything near “very likely” from listening to it.

I seem to recall there was a rumor that at the last TDL, we made NJD stop and think for a moment before he traded Hall to the Yotes. The was rumor and speculation the package Calgary offered was around Hanifin.

Hanifin isn't a bad player, he's just the guy stuck in the middle who is easiest to move.
Kylington doesn't have too much value but highish ceiling, we'd like to keep him.
Valimaki is damn good, we like, he's cheap and draft exempt.
Mackey we just signed.
Can't move Gio for optics etc.

That leaves Hanifin as the odd guy for the LD logjam as he doesn't have a specific reason why we cannot move him contractually or otherwise.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He's Calgary's most valuable trade piece and reports have come that the Flames aren't happy with his progression despite his age.

We also have a surplus of LHD
- Gio, who's declined but we're not trading the captain
- Valimaki, whose value has cratered with his achilles injury but the organization is in love with him and wouldn't give him up for Mark Stone
- Kylington, zero value because he doesn't play but has high upside
- Connor Mackey. Flames organization and media was falling over with praise for this guy. Expect to see him in the NHL year according to the coaches, AGM Conroy.

People are seeing what Seth Jones has done for Columbus and Treliving will likely be banking on teams to line up and trade superfluous but sizeable offensive talent to try to "fleece us"

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
There's nothing up. He's just an easy asset to move. Doesn't mean he isn't a good player.
Fair enough, it's just odd to see higher end young guys move so much. The only comparable I can think of is Hamilton. Again, good player, but there have been questions in the past about his locker room mentality. If he could ever play the right side effectively I'd pitch for him the leafs.

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
Actually, it might.

Flames LD:

Gio
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Mackey
Forbort*

Flames RD

Andersson
Brodie*
Hamonic**
Gustavsson**
Yeselin

* = unlikely to return
** = probably hella gone.

LD has 5 bodies likely to return for the 3 pairings. RD has 1 only and Brodie is a very heavy maybe for 2. If Brodie/Gus/Hamonic are all gone, we either move Hanifin for a RD, OR assets so that we have cap space to divert to a UFA (ie: Barrie). Hanifin out makes sense not because we dislike him, but because we may have to shuffle the chairs around and fill a specific need.

I seem to recall there was a rumor that at the last TDL, we made NJD stop and think for a moment before he traded Hall to the Yotes. The was rumor and speculation the package Calgary offered was around Hanifin.

Hanifin isn't a bad player, he's just the guy stuck in the middle who is easiest to move.
Kylington doesn't have too much value but highish ceiling, we'd like to keep him.
Valimaki is damn good, we like, he's cheap and draft exempt.
Mackey we just signed.
Can't move Gio for optics etc.

That leaves Hanifin as the odd guy for the LD logjam as he doesn't have a specific reason why we cannot move him contractually or otherwise.

I'd offer up Mantha on DET if he was actually available.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been thinking he'd be a good match for Dylan Strome. Both players haven't met their draft pedigree, both retain some usefulness and some future promise. The reasoning is that the Flames have a bigger need for an offensively potent center (I want to see Gaudreau with Strome) than they do a second pair LHD, while the Hawks need a second pair LHD more than they need a purely offensive center.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Where are all these players going? Seems like there's a lot more sellers than buyers.

I think many teams will do quantity for quality moves to drop salary that otherwise wouldn't make such moves in a different year.

Aren’t the Flames hot after Kuemper? How about a 1:1 :naughty:

Hanifin for OEL straight up might make far more sense. I'd also target Raanta rather than Kuemper and promise him that he shouldn't find scorpions in his home. :DD

I'd offer up Mantha on DET if he was actually available.

If Mantha is available in a Hanifin trade... lots of our fan base is likely listening...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad