Proposal: No to Gibson

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Sure you let the best opposite player all alone in the slot but the problem is your goalie who didn't saved your ass...

But if you want 1 goal should maybe be able to stop and 20 goal because of the team just sucks in front...
Man, I tried to watch those highlights, and it was just cringe all around, from the defense AND GOALTENDING.

Gibson looked very un-focused, and very uninterested. He was out of position on half the goals, allowing a bunch short side, and completely guessing causing him to move the wrong way. I only watched the first 2 and a half of those videos you posted. I'm sure it would be more of the same throughout the rest of them.

And his body language after EVERY SINGLE GOAL is pathetic. For that reason alone, I'd be out.

I'll say before these videos I was on the fence. Was very unsure if Gibson is the way to go, now I definitely don't want him.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Man, I tried to watch those highlights, and it was just cringe all around, from the defense AND GOALTENDING.

Gibson looked very un-focused, and very uninterested. He was out of position on half the goals, allowing a bunch short side, and completely guessing causing him to move the wrong way. I only watched the first 2 and a half of those videos you posted. I'm sure it would be more of the same throughout the rest of them.

And his body language after EVERY SINGLE GOAL is pathetic. For that reason alone, I'd be out.

I'll say before these videos I was on the fence. Was very unsure if Gibson is the way to go, now I definitely don't want him.
Playing 3 month in a row after an other 2 years in front of that shit, im not sure if 1 goalie in this world would be able to stay happy with a good body attittude/body language...

Price was playing with the same body language when habs was trash...

Last edited:

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Playing 3 month in a row after an other 2 years in front of that shit, im not sure if 1 goalie in this world would be able to stay happy with a good body attittude/body language...

Price was playing with the same body language when habs was trash...
The occasional slouch and hand shrug Price may have done, I don't remember anything like that with him though. Gibson is doing on EVERY goal and that is the problem.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The occasional slouch and hand shrug Price may have done, I don't remember anything like that with him though. Gibson is doing on EVERY goal and that is the problem.
Im from Qc so its hard to dont know whats happening with habs.

A goalie who react :he lost his control, bad body language, bad reacrion

A goalie who dont have any reaction : he look selfless

But at the end,i just dont think people realise how hard it is for a goalie to get destroy game after game and allowing 3-4-5-6 goal every game because team is trash

Since january 24...
very good game was like allowing only 2 goal
A good game 3-4
and a bad game 5+

Same thing with a team like tampa carolina toronto or whatever

Very good game 0-1
Good game 2 maybe 3( depend how the team played)
A bad game4+

When they started to allowing 3-4-5 goal every game, losing every game and most of the time, it was not his fault... yes maybe at the end, you can feel hopeless

You playing a great game but you still allowing 3 goal in 45 shot in a game you should allowing like 8 or 9 goal and you still unable to get a win...

Get a win every 6 and half game, how hard mentally it is for a goalie. Campbell had the same kind of stretche and still winning and wasn't unable to get his confidence back until he stay out 2 or 3 week with an injury... just imagine when you lost 22 of your last 26 game to get any kind of confidence.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If you think John Gibson is still an elite goalie, you haven’t watched enough John Gibson the past 3 years and you’re dead wrong

I'd bet my bottom dollar I've watched more John Gibson than you have.

You watch spreadsheets and graphs.

I watch games

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I'd bet my bottom dollar I've watched more John Gibson than you have.

You watch spreadsheets and graphs.

I watch games
Ok big dog, you must see his below average play firsthand then. Plus his big cap hit for 5 more years...

Gibson was a very good goalie but not in the past 3 years. This is a disaster waiting to happen and if you watched that much hockey, you should see that. Below average starter now with a big cap hit and term, not getting any younger..

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ok big dog, you must see his below average play firsthand then. Plus his big cap hit for 5 more years...

Gibson was a very good goalie but not in the past 3 years. This is a disaster waiting to happen and if you watched that much hockey, you should see that. Below average starter now with a big cap hit and term, not getting any younger..

You know what I see when I watch him? I see a good goalie on a shit team.

There are 2 reasons for me that a goalies numbers suffer.

A he's just not that good he might be being carried by a good team but he himself is not that good.

B he's on a shit team.

John Gibson falls into option B he is a very good goalie, but he is on a shit team and thus is numbers suffer, yes there are good parts to that team, there are good parts to every team but as a whole the team sucks.

If you took John Gibson and put him on a team that didn't suck and replaced Jack Campbell, who falls into option A John Gibson's numbers would rise significantly because he'd have an actual team in front of him.

He'd have a team that put up 115 points and 54 wins and did it with god awful goaltending from December-April

Put John Gibson on this team, on a team that can score at will and Tampa's not playing right now because John Gibson is capable of being elite he's capable of the kind of save Jack Campbell can't give you.

the 10 bell, game saving stop the one you NEED to beat a Tampa or a Colorado

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
He needs to be better than “good” to carry a $6.4m aav (4th highest goalie cap hit) for 5 more seasons. Also his stats both raw counting and advanced/analytical have been dog poop since 2019.
Just on the numbers, Gibson was 925 each year behind the good ducks and 905 each year behind the bad ducks, playing 50+ game seasons throughout. Talk about consistency.

Why wouldn't you project a 925 Gibson playing 50+ game seasons behind the Leafs?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Just on the numbers, Gibson was 925 each year behind the good ducks and 905 each year behind the bad ducks, playing 50+ game seasons throughout. Talk about consistency.

Why wouldn't you project a 925 Gibson playing 50+ game seasons behind the Leafs?
Because he’s been 905 or worse for three seasons and his net mates have been better. I’m not suggesting I think it’s a foregone conclusion that he’s awful forever but the risk combined with acquisition cost would have me paused for concern without a doubt

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

I suspect the Leafs will watch more than 2 clips in making their decision if he's available, especially if the defense was cringe.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
You know what I see when I watch him? I see a good goalie on a shit team.

There are 2 reasons for me that a goalies numbers suffer.

A he's just not that good he might be being carried by a good team but he himself is not that good.

B he's on a shit team.

John Gibson falls into option B he is a very good goalie, but he is on a shit team and thus is numbers suffer, yes there are good parts to that team, there are good parts to every team but as a whole the team sucks.

If you took John Gibson and put him on a team that didn't suck and replaced Jack Campbell, who falls into option A John Gibson's numbers would rise significantly because he'd have an actual team in front of him.

He'd have a team that put up 115 points and 54 wins and did it with god awful goaltending from December-April

Put John Gibson on this team, on a team that can score at will and Tampa's not playing right now because John Gibson is capable of being elite he's capable of the kind of save Jack Campbell can't give you.

the 10 bell, game saving stop the one you NEED to beat a Tampa or a Colorado
Gibson would get the same lack of respect Anderson got.
Anderson was dealt because they 'thought' Gibson was the better goalie, and the goalie of the future ...and for 2-3 seasons he was, then he regressed.
people arent seeing what is is, they are seeing what he was.
a good example (non goalie) example is Nichushkin ...when he first hit the ice for Dallas he looked like he was going to be a superstar, but, in the end, he's just okay, and even on the all offense Av's, his numbers are middling or worse (career high this year at 52 points), but, some people still see him as the potential superstar he looked like his rookie season, but this is the second time in his career he had more than 30 points.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Gibson would get the same lack of respect Anderson got.
Anderson was dealt because they 'thought' Gibson was the better goalie, and the goalie of the future ...and for 2-3 seasons he was, then he regressed.
people arent seeing what is is, they are seeing what he was.
a good example (non goalie) example is Nichushkin ...when he first hit the ice for Dallas he looked like he was going to be a superstar, but, in the end, he's just okay, and even on the all offense Av's, his numbers are middling or worse (career high this year at 52 points), but, some people still see him as the potential superstar he looked like his rookie season, but this is the second time in his career he had more than 30 points.

Anaheim keep Gibson for the same reason montreal kept price over halak
Or
Tampa kept vasilevskiy over bishop
Or
Vancouver kept demko over Markstrom
Or
why islander will keep sorokin over varlamov or florida knight over Bobrovsky

He was already better and younger...

Since getzlaf, perry and kesler declined ( same year they traded Andersen) Anaheim are trash... they was playing with a 3rd line as first line and half of AHL team.

Their best player get injured of no goalie in NHL had a workload as heavy than Gibson.

One of worst offensive+ 1 of worst D and losing his 2 best du to injury or trade last 3 year = a lot of time in defensive zone = higher chance to get caught out of position or made a huge defensive mistake
+
heavy work load ( highest level of difficulty of opponent played against) + lack of team succes = level of difficultty extremely high and low chance to get good stats

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Anaheim keep Gibson for the same reason montreal kept price over halak
Or
Tampa kept vasilevskiy over bishop
Or
Vancouver kept demko over Markstrom
Or
why islander will keep sorokin over varlamov or florida knight over Bobrovsky

He was already better and younger...

Since getzlaf, perry and kesler declined ( same year they traded Andersen) Anaheim are trash... they was playing with a 3rd line as first line and half of AHL team.

Their best player get injured of no goalie in NHL had a workload as heavy than Gibson.

One of worst offensive+ 1 of worst D and losing his 2 best du to injury or trade last 3 year = a lot of time in defensive zone = higher chance to get caught out of position or made a huge defensive mistake
+
heavy work load ( highest level of difficulty of opponent played against) + lack of team succes = level of difficultty extremely high and low chance to get good stats
all those i bolded were projecting to be superior goaltenders while being younger & cheaper
Price was a much higher caliber of goalie compared to Halak, who has never been better than a 1a/b goalie so, in each case it was an obvious succession, and all pre- flat cap covid.
Gibson's contract as he is playing now is an albatross of huge proportions, the only worse contracts are Price (because i think post surgery his career is done) and Bob, but, Bob is still a decent #1, but, perhaps only worth 1/2 his salary.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
all those i bolded were projecting to be superior goaltenders while being younger & cheaper
Price was a much higher caliber of goalie compared to Halak, who has never been better than a 1a/b goalie so, in each case it was an obvious succession, and all pre- flat cap covid.
Gibson's contract as he is playing now is an albatross of huge proportions, the only worse contracts are Price (because i think post surgery his career is done) and Bob, but, Bob is still a decent #1, but, perhaps only worth 1/2 his salary.

No Price had a better potential but halak was better when he get traded to stl

Halak 41 game 26 wins 0.924% 2.40 gaa
Price 45 game 13 win 0.912% 2.77 gaa
+ habs reach conference final because of halak

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

3 years of andersen in anaheim(2013-2016)

Anaheim was
GAx 15th (640)
SCA 13 th (6334) 25.7/game
SCGA 15th 517 2.1/game
SCGA/SCA 8.2 %
HDCA 17 th (2581) 10.5/game
HDGA 5th 357 1.46/game
HDGA/HDCA 13.8%
Goal for 5th 706 2.87/game

First 3 season of Gibson with at least 40 games (2015-2018)
77 wins
GAx 21 th 679.92
SCA 25th 6818 27.7/game
SCGA 4 th 488 1.98/ game
SCGA/SCA 7.2%
HDCA 25 th 2829 11.5/game
HDGA 19th 332 1.34/game
HDGA/HDCA 11.7%
GF 20th 666 2.7/game

Next 3 2018-2021
(209 game)
55 wins
GAx 29th 637.81
SCA 29th 6238 29.9/game
SCGA 26th 548 2.6/game
SCGA/SCA 8.8%
HDCA30 th 2644 12.7/ game
HDGA 26 th 357 1.7/game
HDGA/HDCA 13.5%
Goal for 30th 502 2.40/ game

HDGA/HDCA and SCGA/SCA

This season
HDGA/HDCA 13.2%
SCGA/SCA 8.4%

A season everyone consider as a disaster

Just to give you a comparaison with toronto last year
HDGA/HDCA 15.44 %
SCGA/SCA 9.9 %

Last 3 season of andersen in Toronto
HDGA/HDCA 14.9%
SCGA/SCA 10.2 %

So please dont tell me Gibson suck or whatever... in fact the only reason why gibson didnt had better stats than andersen or campbell is the number of scoring and high danger chance anaheim allowed much higher than number of leafs allowed... thats it...

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Gibson no gibson it doesn't matter

When your team scores 3 goals in 3 straight do or die games your not winning the game most of the time

Tampas total goals in their last 3 do or die series clinching games to win the cup last year: 4 (winning all 3 series in the process)

Goaltending definitely matters as does getting favorable calls in big games (Which Tampa was absolutely elite at for the majority of their run)

Reactions: Menzinger

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The team captain of your team defense is your goalie and most often he needs to be your MVP.

In the last 3 playoffs with Keefe as Leafs coach the goalie would have needed to post a shutout for the Leafs to advance in series clinching games.

vs CBJ - Game #5 ....... CBJ 3 - Toronto 0
vs MON - Game #7 .. Mon 3 - Toronto 1
vs TB - Game #7 ........ TB 2 - Toronto 1

Leafs keep getting "out-goalied", so Leafs conclusion and solution seems to be run it back, but lets swap out goalies until on their own can out-goalie the other team. :wg:
Not scoring seems to be the problem imo, I don’t think the leafs had a goaltending problem. I think their offense tends to dry up in tight games. Hard to fault Campbell here. You’re expecting him to give up zero goals, I mean come on, he’s not the problem.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I keep advocating Jonathan Quick. He has a good playoff SV% and can actually steal games.

The issue his cap hit. Toronto would have to pay more if LA retained on him, or get a 2nd team involved to eat up some of his salary.

Also LA might just want to keep him for the same reasons TOR wants him.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Not scoring seems to be the problem imo, I don’t think the leafs had a goaltending problem. I think their offense tends to dry up in tight games. Hard to fault Campbell here. You’re expecting him to give up zero goals, I mean come on, he’s not the problem.

Game # 6 vs mtl ot goal...Weak goal
Game#7 1st goal of the game( really important on a game 7) weak goal

Game #6 against tampa ot goal: weak goal
Game #7 paul 1st goal( of the game) weak goal, leafs came back and he allowed an other weak goal 3 minutes later...

Thats how a goalie can hurt you when he dont make save he have to at the right time...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You should re-read my post, as that wasn't the true intent of my post, but rather the very opposite, and I actually agree with your post.. :)

However Jack Campbell is the one being replaced by current management as if he is the reason Leafs keep losing.,

Leafs offense has scored 2 total goals combined in the last 3 series clinching games all losses vs CBJ, MON and TB.

So if the Leafs goalie is being blamed and replaced, then the Leafs need to find one that is REQUIRED to post a shutout in series clinching games or the end results would still have been the same. :wg:

While I do believe your goalie is your most important player to winning consistently in the playoffs, anyone should be able to look at those results I posted of Leafs losses in deciding games and point the finger of blame elsewhere other than goaltending.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You should re-read my post, as that wasn't the true intent of my post, but rather the very opposite, and I actually agree with your post.. :)

However Jack Campbell is the one being replaced by current management as if he is the reason Leafs keep losing.,

Leafs offense has scored 2 total goals combined in the last 3 series clinching games all losses vs CBJ, MON and TB.

So if the Leafs goalie is being blamed and replaced, then the Leafs need to find one that is REQUIRED to post a shutout in series clinching games or the end results would still have been the same. :wg:

While I do believe your goalie is your most important player to winning consistently in the playoffs, anyone should be able to look at those results I posted of Leafs losses in deciding games and point the finger of blame elsewhere other than goaltending.
Sorry Mess, I thought you were agreeing that Campbell was the problem. Imo, as a fan of a competitor I would love nothing more than for you to break up your roster in order to try and get a Gibson. I think from a Leaf’s perspective your management would be making a mistake though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad