Proposal: No to Gibson

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
If the goalie with the highest upside is available then you take him. In this case if it's Gibson then you make that trade and you take that risk. If it doesn't workout then you tried... If it does workout maybe you win a Stanley Cup? Or at least make it out of round one.

You will always be able to move him even if he doesn't workout, Yeah you'll take a hit and lose a prospect but who cares we're in win mode right now not hoarding prospects mode. We have our top guys now we just need to surround them with the right kind of players.

Reactions: banks

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I personally go after Demko or Hellybuck in a multiple player and pick trade.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Why would Vancouver move Demko?
I think these are 2 clubs that need a major shake up. They have some nice ready now pieces.

We could part with a big name and lots of futures.

Stranger things have happened.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think these are 2 clubs that need a major shake up. They have some nice ready now pieces.

Teams know that you go no where without great goaltending. As we've seen with the Leafs and their 'ready now pieces' you still need a great goalie.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Teams know that you go no where without great goaltending. As we've seen with the Leafs and their 'ready now pieces' you still need a great goalie.
I don’t disagree - just saying I start my search there (Van and Wpg) and be willing to have meaningful talks. Meaning…it’s gonna cost us.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Major shake up but demko and hellebuyck are probably amount last player you want to trade

The only reason why Gibson could be available is than ducks will suck for next 4 or 5 years... not the case with vancouver or winnipeg

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If the goalie with the highest upside is available then you take him. In this case if it's Gibson then you make that trade and you take that risk. If it doesn't workout then you tried... If it does workout maybe you win a Stanley Cup? Or at least make it out of round one.

You will always be able to move him even if he doesn't workout, Yeah you'll take a hit and lose a prospect but who cares we're in win mode right now not hoarding prospects mode. We have our top guys now we just need to surround them with the right kind of players.
I have my doubts about that

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Look at all the bad contracts throughout the years of the NHL that have been moved... If you can move Mrazek you can move Gibson.
Gibson is owed 2.6m more per year for 3 more years than mrazek. If he comes here and sucks we’re stuck with him

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Gibson is owed 2.6m more per year for 3 more years than mrazek. If he comes here and sucks we’re stuck with him
Well people seem to think he sucks now and is falling off... Lot's of teams still going to be interested in him.

You can always get rid of a bad contract with the right amount of prospects or picks.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Well people seem to think he sucks now and is falling off... Lot's of teams still going to be interested in him.

You can always get rid of a bad contract with the right amount of prospects or picks.
Now that’s a totally different argument. Of course you can buy your way asset wise out of poor deals, but this board is still wringing its hands over the marleau transaction even though kyles hands were tied, can you imagine the narrative if the problem truly was self inflicted which would be the case if he acquired Gibson

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t think Dubas goes after Gibson only because of the contract.

Agreed. My understanding is that Leafs are trying to lowball Soup or don't think he is worth near what he is asking for for. It appears they want him to test the market and hope that he comes back with his tail between his legs and takes Leafs' offer (strange strategy). So if they do not want to spend money on Soup, why would they want to spend more for Gibson, who they have to surrender assets for and risk that he plays to the level he did a few years back??? Only reason I can see is they really, really, really like him and they are desperate to dump Mrazek on them. IMO some fans are more interested in Gibson than the Leafs are. Things can change but I agree with CJ that they are not kicking tires on Gibson and are looking for cheaper options.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Agreed. My understanding is that Leafs are trying to lowball Soup or don't think he is worth near what he is asking for for. It appears they want him to test the market and hope that he comes back with his tail between his legs and takes Leafs' offer (strange strategy). So if they do not want to spend money on Soup, why would they want to spend more for Gibson, who they have to surrender assets for and risk that he plays to the level he did a few years back??? Only reason I can see is they really, really, really like him and they are desperate to dump Mrazek on them. IMO some fans are more interested in Gibson than the Leafs are. Things can change but I agree with CJ that they are not kicking tires on Gibson and are looking for cheaper options.

Get gibson at 6.4 and a robertson, anderson or whatever at 0 9M or get Mrazek at 3.8M abd kerfoot at 3.5M...whats making leafs a better team?

Look for cheaper option ...ok but will cost around 3 to 5M for a 1B but you will need an other one around 2 to 3M... you cant stsrt next season wth a huge ? Like Murray/ blackwood or whatever and kallgren as back up... thats the difference with Gibson you can keep kallgren as back up because will play between 55 to 70 game. At the end that will still cost you 5 to 8 M for a below average goalie and a good back up unstead of 7M for an elite G and below average back up...

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Now that’s a totally different argument. Of course you can buy your way asset wise out of poor deals, but this board is still wringing its hands over the marleau transaction even though kyles hands were tied, can you imagine the narrative if the problem truly was self inflicted which would be the case if he acquired Gibson
lol hands tied.

This is why the pro Dubas side can't really be trusted. When it's time to defend him there's a lot of empty comments they try to just slip by to absolve any blame.

Are you forgetting Babcock snitched on everyone? Every single one of them including Dubas were okay with signing Marleau and then having to get rid of him in year 3.

Giving all the blame to Lou is very biased. Lou, Babcock, Dubas, the whole crew wanted Marleau. Dubas hands weren't tied. He's responsible for Marleau being here too and then lost another trade miserably.

It's funny, Lou gets all the blame for Marleau but can't help but be curious if Lou's 3rd year off loading of Marleau would have been better than Dubas' off loading of Marleau.

This also means Dubas had 2 years to plan / think about the trade since organization knew from day 1 they would part ways with Marleau in year 3. So no matter what way you look it was a terrible trade.

Sorry, to get this back to gibson, we kept winning 4 in a row with swiss cheese in net, so there is no way gibson tanks his trade value here. Just being average will allow the core to carry him to nice numbers. Unless you want to make claim Leafs suck in the regular season, which I don't think you do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad