Proposal: No to Gibson

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
lol hands tied.

This is why the pro Dubas side can't really be trusted. When it's time to defend him there's a lot of empty comments they try to just slip by to absolve any blame.

Are you forgetting Babcock snitched on everyone? Every single one of them including Dubas were okay with signing Marleau and then having to get rid of him in year 3.

Giving all the blame to Lou is very biased. Lou, Babcock, Dubas, the whole crew wanted Marleau. Dubas hands weren't tied. He's responsible for Marleau being here too and then lost another trade miserably.

It's funny, Lou gets all the blame for Marleau but can't help but be curious if Lou's 3rd year off loading of Marleau would have been better than Dubas' off loading of Marleau.

This also means Dubas had 2 years to plan / think about the trade since organization knew from day 1 they would part ways with Marleau in year 3. So no matter what way you look it was a terrible trade.

Sorry, to get this back to gibson, we kept winning 4 in a row with swiss cheese in net, so there is no way gibson tanks his trade value here. Just being average will allow the core to carry him to nice numbers. Unless you want to make claim Leafs suck in the regular season, which I don't think you do.
Yeah he tied his own hands there. :laugh:
Good, honest post. I don't know why some try to re-write the history of that whole debacle.
I'm sure Dubas learned from that and won't bind himself up like that again.

Reactions: Hoglund4MvP

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
I'd like to see us go all in on Hellebucyk and have a backup tandem of Woll/Kallgren splitting time.

This gives the kids some experience..

Reactions: ACC1224

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I'd like to see us go all in on Hellebucyk and have a backup tandem of Woll/Kallgren splitting time.

This gives the kids some experience..
If you got Hellebucyk, I’d rather go out and sign Comrie to back him up than use Kallgren or Woll.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Now that’s a totally different argument. Of course you can buy your way asset wise out of poor deals, but this board is still wringing its hands over the marleau transaction even though kyles hands were tied, can you imagine the narrative if the problem truly was self inflicted which would be the case if he acquired Gibson
Yeah, I get it, even though I am not one of those people I know how people on here are. I do not think Dubas is that stupid, Anaheim is in a re-building mode, and they do not really care too much about cap space or contracts with a couple of years on them. I think if we do make a deal for Gibson than Anaheim taking on some of his salary is going to be a part of that deal to get him down to the $5M range. And I think if this trade happens Mrazek will be one of the pieces back to Anaheim.

As long as we keep: Liljegren/Knies/Douglas/Holmberg/Gogolev/Abramov/Kral/Woll/Scott. I'm okay with losing anyone else lol.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Get gibson at 6.4 and a robertson, anderson or whatever at 0 9M or get Mrazek at 3.8M abd kerfoot at 3.5M...whats making leafs a better team?

Look for cheaper option ...ok but will cost around 3 to 5M for a 1B but you will need an other one around 2 to 3M... you cant stsrt next season wth a huge ? Like Murray/ blackwood or whatever and kallgren as back up... thats the difference with Gibson you can keep kallgren as back up because will play between 55 to 70 game. At the end that will still cost you 5 to 8 M for a below average goalie and a good back up unstead of 7M for an elite G and below average back up...

Agreed the options would be Gibson + Kalgren/Woll or say Soup/DeSmith. I'd love to see Gibson in blue and white but a 6.4m starter with a <1m backup does not appear the direction the Leafs want to go in. Gibson will also cost you a picks/prospects.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Agreed the options would be Gibson + Kalgren/Woll or say Soup/DeSmith. I'd love to see Gibson in blue and white but a 6.4m starter with a <1m backup does not appear the direction the Leafs want to go in. Gibson will also cost you a picks/prospects.

Yes he will cost prospect/ pick but its kind of player who will make everyone around him looking better... will make rielly, brodie, muzzin, sandin, liljegren, giordano looking better because he can repair mistake they will do and giving a boost of confidence to every player on the team...

Its not just about upgrading goaltending, its upgrading every aspect of the game...

Reactions: ToneDog

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, I get it, even though I am not one of those people I know how people on here are. I do not think Dubas is that stupid, Anaheim is in a re-building mode, and they do not really care too much about cap space or contracts with a couple of years on them. I think if we do make a deal for Gibson than Anaheim taking on some of his salary is going to be a part of that deal to get him down to the $5M range. And I think if this trade happens Mrazek will be one of the pieces back to Anaheim.

As long as we keep: Liljegren/Knies/Douglas/Holmberg/Gogolev/Abramov/Kral/Woll/Scott. I'm okay with losing anyone else lol.
That’s a strange list. Niemela and Robertson are better than most of those guys mentioned. Gibson sucks

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
That’s a strange list. Niemela and Robertson are better than most of those guys mentioned. Gibson sucks
It's not a weird list... you have to give up some good/decent prospect to get a return... I didn't make a list of the best prospects....

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Mrazek, Holl, and a 2nd round pick for Robert Lehner.

Lehner has high upside, better than Gibson in recent years.

He's a big goalie.: 6'4" 250 lbs.

Golden Knights fans have turned on Lehner.

Knights need to find playing time for Broissoit.

I want to get rid of Mrazek and Holl.
I don’t know about Lehner, looks like he’s lost some mobility and needs to shed some weight. Probably would not mesh well with the Toronto media either. He is a mountain of a fella though!

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
How is that stat calculated? Because looking at the goalies it does seem to be largely dictated by the team. For instance Nedjelovic (sp) was the 6th best goalie in that stat last year, but one of the worst this year. Freddie was the 3rd best goalie in that stat this year and quite bad last year.

Or take a look at the 2019-2020 where the 2nd and 3rd best goalies in that stat were Boston's starter and Boston's backup. Or the year before where the 3rd and 4th best goalies were NYI's starter and backup.

Tons of examples like that on that list. It's largely a team stat.
It’s been mentioned that goaltenders are voodoo. I also think alot of goalie stats are voodoo. I’ve lost count on how many games I’ve seen where one tender gives up 4 goals on 30 shots making numerous 10 bell saves but is constantly hung out to dry by the team in front of him, then lampooned by the experts, conversely his opponent stops 20-25 shots from long range gets a shutout and is considered the next Sawchuck! I know this sounds old school but some of the analytics have gone off the rails! When it comes right down to it, It’s who gives up fewer goals.I’ll take a guy like Cheevers any day! Didn’t care what his GAA was just wanted to win. I don’t think there’s an analytic for that!

Reactions: ToneDog

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I keep hearing Fleury Fleury Fleury. Does Fleury even want to come to T.O.?

I wouldn't think so, plus hes pretty old. It'd just be a band aid solution. Its not like we really have any prospect whos a year away from fighting for a starting role. Woll is iffy and Scott is gonna pull his groin by the time I post this.

We'll see what happens anyway, were just about week away from transactions happening and then we can all argue if it was the right move or not

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Just for you, just watch those highlights.

Tell me if it was Gibson fault or just ducks just trash... During those 5 games get a sv % of 0.892 and a gaa over 5 ans we cant blame him for any of those goal...its just an sample of how ducks was so easy to play in his own zone, how easy it was to be all alone in the slot, how easy it was to get rebound or deflection...

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Just for you, just watch those highlights.

Tell me if it was Gibson fault or just ducks just trash... During those 5 games get a sv % of 0.892 and a gaa over 5 ans we cant blame him for any of those goal...its just an sample of how ducks was so easy to play in his own zone, how easy it was to be all alone in the slot, how easy it was to get rebound or deflection...

Gibson sucks, I’m not wasting my time scrubbing through each 8-9min game recap, but that first goal by Josi was butter soft and would have people here on their ear if he let that in while wearing blue & white. Especially if the acquisition cost is what you suggest it is

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
From a guy who never watched him play, sure youre right..
I live on the west coast and have a WFH job, I watch plenty of hockey… including teams who play Anaheim. (No, I don’t actively seek out duck games, they suck) but I’ve seen enough of him to know it’s a train wreck waiting to happen.
He has awful raw numbers and advanced/ expected numbers over the last three seasons.
Should we sign or trade for guys cause they were playable in the 17-18 season?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I live on the west coast and have a WFH job, I watch plenty of hockey… including teams who play Anaheim. (No, I don’t actively seek out duck games, they suck) but I’ve seen enough of him to know it’s a train wreck waiting to happen

You tell him they suck!!! Its just too easy to blame goalie when the team in front just cant play defence... how many tic-tac-toe played where they scored on a empty net goal, how many all open uncover player on the slot? How many time they gave up like 3 or 4 high scoring chance in a laps of 5 to 10 sec?

Look similar than what we saw with Campbell around January when Muzzin get hurt... leafs was became really trash in D, but no it was not the D who sucks but the goalie...he didnt get good stats so for sure it was goalie when the player in front judt let player uncover all game long game after game but no it was Campbell...

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
You tell him they suck!!! Its just too easy to blame goalie when the team in front just cant play defence... how many tic-tac-toe played where they scored on a empty net goal, how many all open uncover player on the slot? How many time they gave up like 3 or 4 high scoring chance in a laps of 5 to 10 sec?

Look similar than what we saw with Campbell around January when Muzzin get hurt... leafs was became really trash in D, but no it was not the D who sucks but the goalie...he didnt get good stats so for sure it was goalie when the player in front judt let player uncover all game long game after game but no it was Campbell...
I tried going through those game recaps and saw a bunch of goals that were stinky.
That first one against josi in the Nashville game short side was AWFUL.
You’re also wrong about the leafs D. They were strong all year and the goaltending was an absolute let down and disappointing in every measurable way excluding jacks November.
Man I’ve never met such a goalie apologist, noodles is that you?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I think Gibson is a good goalie but both sides are really going to the extremes with him. He’s not a trash goalie but he’s not elite.
He needs to be better than “good” to carry a $6.4m aav (4th highest goalie cap hit) for 5 more seasons. Also his stats both raw counting and advanced/analytical have been dog poop since 2019.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I tried going through those game recaps and saw a bunch of goals that were stinky.
That first one against josi in the Nashville game short side was AWFUL.
You’re also wrong about the leafs D. They were strong all year and the goaltending was an absolute let down and disappointing in every measurable way excluding jacks November.
Man I’ve never met such a goalie apologist, noodles is that you?

Goal against josi was a 4 v2...cross crease pass he needed to be ready for the shot + 3 passing option...

If youre unable to see the difference how leafs played forst 3 month and since January 15, just prove you cant see what kind of impact a goalie can have...

Number of player uncover on defensive zone probably raise by 4 but nah its just goalie who started to sucks and didn't the get the job done...

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Goal against josi was a 4 v2...cross crease pass he needed to be ready for the shot + 3 passing option...

If youre unable to see the difference how leafs played forst 3 month and since January 15, just prove you cant see what kind of impact a goalie can have...

Number of player uncover on defensive zone probably raise by 4 but nah its just goalie who started to sucks and didn't the get the job done...
Excuses. He should’ve had it. If that goes in here he’s roasted for a week about it.
Again no thanks

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I live on the west coast and have a WFH job, I watch plenty of hockey… including teams who play Anaheim. (No, I don’t actively seek out duck games, they suck) but I’ve seen enough of him to know it’s a train wreck waiting to happen.
He has awful raw numbers and advanced/ expected numbers over the last three seasons.
Should we sign or trade for guys cause they were playable in the 17-18 season?
To each their own. I too live on the west coast and watch many Ducks games.
I would welcome Gibson provided the acquisition cost was reasonable.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Excuses. He should’ve had it. If that goes in here he’s roasted for a week about it.
Again no thanks

Sure you let the best opposite player all alone in the slot but the problem is your goalie who didn't saved your ass...

But if you want 1 goal should maybe be able to stop and 20 goal because of the team just sucks in front...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad