Post-Game Talk: No Sunday Blues, Jets win in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Time to turn the keys fully over to Dubois, Connor, and the other young guys like Nik. They are the ones driving the bus these days.

Blake still trys but isn't good enough for top line minutes. Let him fade into a key secondary offensive role.

Scheifele needs to keep rounding out his game. Today was pretty good. Needs more of these efforts. Him in a soft mintlute offensive role with say Perfetti and a puck hound could really give us a deadly line behind the PLD line.

Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Perfetti - Scheifele - Smith
Harkins - Lowry - Wheeler
Toninato - Gus - Svechnikov

We might improve on that a little with a trade or 2 and an FA or two.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well I think on paper we are better then where we sit but that is why they play the games. Clearly coaching and execution haven't been good enough this year and some of that falls on the GM.
Maybe we're overrating some of our talent, or underrating the strides other teams have made. I've brought this up before but if you were to compare what our top6+top4d+starting goalie (call it key personnel) have done this year, how much better are we really vs league? Downward slope since 17-18 leads me to beleive the key talent just might not be as good as it used to be (as well as poor bottom 6)

The coach definitely falls on the GM. And as far as roster composition or 3 scoring lines which has been discussed heavily.... I don't think he gave Lowry a 3.25mx5 year to play 4c any time soon. Maybe he hopes and prays 17-18 Lowry shows up, or the one of the past 10 games that showed some semblance of finish. Also he had 53 games left when Maurice re signed, plenty of time to turn this season around and the best guy for the job to win a cup was Dave Lowry.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hey, isn't that PLD stopping that tank....

giphy.gif

Another step closer to making the playoffs. Hope Copp is okay, but from his reaction, it looks to be another concussion.... I guess he will be our own rental.

giphy.gif

While I like Svech on that line with PLD and KFC, Ehlers looks pretty awesome in that spot, and I think it seems to fit a little better...

giphy.gif

Now we head home to play the Golden Showers. We need to DESTROY them! F**K Vegas!

841827587612b2403f2c5b57138b8bbf--what-kind-of-las-vegas.jpg

:laugh: If I could buy that team, second thing I do is rename them to anything else. (First thing was burn those uniforms) :laugh:

Reactions: macmaroon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe we're overrating some of our talent, or underrating the strides other teams have made. I've brought this up before but if you were to compare what our top6+top4d+starting goalie (call it key personnel) have done this year, how much better are we really vs league? Downward slope since 17-18 leads me to beleive the key talent just might not be as good as it used to be (as well as poor bottom 6)

The coach definitely falls on the GM. And as far as roster composition or 3 scoring lines which has been discussed heavily.... I don't think he gave Lowry a 3.25mx5 year to play 4c any time soon. Maybe he hopes and prays 17-18 Lowry shows up, or the one of the past 10 games that showed some semblance of finish. Also he had 53 games left when Maurice re signed, plenty of time to turn this season around and the best guy for the job to win a cup was Dave Lowry.

That is definitely possible but truth be told the teams metrics are right around where I thought they'd be. I figured with the defensive upgrades we'd be able to pull our results from bottom 3 to mid table and we have (15th in CF% and 17th in XGF%). I figured middling underlying numbers with Vezina caliber goaltending and our generally high ability to finish would put us comfortably in. We haven't got the goaltending or the finishing which I think makes the team look worse then it actually is. But yes clearly other teams have improved/got major bounce back year (Duchene and Johanson). I just don't see St. Louis or the Preds as better teams them ours but that is how things go sometimes.

Oh I definitely think he's made some bad bets like Lowry. I like Adam but he hasn't really shown the signs of being a high end third line center in a number of years now. I agree with you that he likely didn't sign Lowry to play 4C but you can't let Pride get in the way of icing the best team possible. If we get a better option for 3C you move Adam to the fourth line.

I also think this year has really brought to light some outdated practices by the org. Very few teams now run a designated defensive checking line. The standard is to try to run three balanced lines.

Nobody uses the straight M2M system we use in our end.

So really I think this org needs to thorough examination and modernized itself in terms of tactics and deployment.

Reactions: ecolad and Mbraunm

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm really happy with the PLD trade for Patrick Laine. I think the Jets got the center they always wanted. I would not reverse that trade for anything. Columbus did ok as well with Laine, as he's giving them goal production. From a Jet's perspective, I think they did exceptionally well on this trade. PLD is a beast, with pretty decent scoring hands. Great trade for the Jets.

CBJ is doing all right with Roslo too. His 10 goals would be 7th on the Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's the case of a win win trade for two teams in a difficult spot with two young core players.

From Jackets POV, they got Laine and Roslo for their unhappy 1C. So-so result at that point - but they have also managed to draft 2 top 6 C's not long after. Not that their drafts since are connected to that trade. Just that they lost their offensive star, their 1G, their 1C and a couple of other players and are still looking very good going forward.

Boone Jenner has stepped up as a fill in 1C. Cole Sillinger appears poised to take over as soon as next year .... and he is still only 18 YO! And Kent Johnson will compete with him for that top slot.

It sounds like they are going to try and retain Laine, but if they can't, they should still be able to get something pretty good in trade.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh hey the site finally let me log in.

Only really started watching halfway through the game. The Jets looked like they didn't have their heads entirely up their own asses tonight. Scheif-Wheeler looked better than they have in years in the offensive zone. Good possession and finding passing lanes. Need to shoot at some point though.

Crazy that the Jets have gone this long with a strictly scoring top 6, yet have never really given Connor and Ehlers any chances together.
Oskar Sundqvist is listed at 6'3", 209 lbs.
ydnnuJd.gif

Yeah, well you notice Ehlers couldn't keep his feet after the hit. Phffft, p***y! Hits a guy then falls down. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Edit: You're lucky you didn't get to see Jets first 2 PPs, including over a minute at 5v3 and their first PK where they completely lost control of their formation chasing guys around the D zone. I missed the next several minutes of the game extracting my foot from the TV. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad