Post-Game Talk: No Sunday Blues, Jets win in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This was a trade that made both teams better. I said it at the time, and I say it now.

One this I will add, Roslovic was the other significant piece of that trade that is often omitted in the discussion, I imagine to make it seem like Chevy did a one for one. He didn't. And Roslo has 25 points in 55 games this year which is far and away better than anyone in our bottom six.

Cue up the comments about Rolso being 'worthless' to the Jets. Wait for it - incoming:
I do think we likely will be better with PLD in the long run however currently we're on our lowest team pts% pace since 16-17 and barely Ahead (0.533 vs 0.530), & might have less overall Wins compared to that year. Last season we basically = in pts% compared to 19-20, but hard to do an exact comparison given the circumstances such as schedule/opponents imo.

So this trade was such a win or slam dunk, yet we're still a bubble team that's still trending down from 17-18. Imo we still haven't fixed what's truly ailing this squad if that's the case.

Reactions: hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I do think we likely will be better with PLD in the long run however currently we're on our lowest team pts% pace since 16-17 and barely Ahead (0.533 vs 0.530), & might have less overall Wins compared to that year. Last season we basically = in pts% compared to 19-20, but hard to do an exact comparison given the circumstances such as schedule/opponents imo.

So this trade was such a win or slam dunk, yet we're still a bubble team that's still trending down from 17-18. Imo we still haven't fixed what's truly ailing this squad if that's the case.

Agrre, but a processor exclusion suggests what the answer just might be.

- Add playdriving 1A/B centre -- Check !
- Add veteran top 4 defenders (two of 'em!) -- Check!
- Star winger Connor has career year -- Check!
- Select others having career or near-career years -- Check!
- Discover diamond in the rough back netminder who can give team chance in game she plays -- Check!
- JoMo recovers game -- Check!
- Pionk loses game -- Sigh. Check.
- Integrate top prospects where possible -- Half-assed check
- Seemingly infinite-term coach finally resigns... -- Check with a bullet!
- ... making way for bold new coaching staff hires with fresh, compelling vision for team -- No check!
- Finally play best players in their best possible positions -- Erm....

I think it's clear where the problem likely lie. Hopefully we see the requisite changes this off-season.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

I think this trade benefitted both teams. Maybe that is called a win-win. Roslo was a hold out. Laine started the year all pissy about the Jets and his role on the team. PLD was done in Columbus. I just wanted to point out that we gave up two roster players and most people that post about the trade here conveniently leave out Roslo in the discussion. They shouldn't. We gave up a lot. Having said that, we got a better C than our supposed #1 C (who hasn't really been playing like a #1C). You have to give to get and I like how it worked out for us.

To your broader point about this team trending down since '17-'18, and not having fixed key issues I couldn't agree more. And I think that by now, scrutiny should rightfully be on the 26/55 show.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think this trade benefitted both teams. Maybe that is called a win-win. Roslo was a hold out. Laine started the year all pissy about the Jets and his role on the team. PLD was done in Columbus. I just wanted to point out that we gave up two roster players and most people that post about the trade here conveniently leave out Roslo in the discussion. They shouldn't. We gave up a lot. Having said that, we got a better C than our supposed #1 C (who hasn't really been playing like a #1C). You have to give to get and I like how it worked out for us.

To your broader point about this team trending down since '17-'18, and not having fixed key issues I couldn't agree more. And I think that by now, scrutiny should rightfully be on the 26/55 show.
Roslovic for a 3rd is a bad trade... Laine for PLD is a good trade. it did make me wonder at the time why we were giving up our RW depth for a player who had already played his last game for Columbus.

However I do think key issues have been addressed - we have a solid D core/depth and just need to work on the system.

CSW has finally been broken up and we are seeing the payoff.

If Helle played like he did in 17-18 this year... we would be near the top of our division - he bailed out our D game after game even back then

The challenge now is that we are too close to the playoffs and also too far... we really could keep our 'rentals' this year and then lose two key forwards - maybe Perfetti steps in with 55/26 on second line but I dont see who's ready to replace Copp

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Yeah I guess I can agree with win-win. CBJ has 30 Ws & 63 pts in 60 gp, basicslly equal to us (27 wins, 64 pts in 60 gp). If switched conferences they'd be in the mix for the final Western wild card spot. But unfortunate for them the East has far better teams in the wild cards comparatively.
Maybe the scrutiny falls on 55+26, idk. They're not the same players from '16 though '18 In terms of all around play Still good, but not in the upper echelon that they used to be. Anyway, pld has been as I expected this year which is great for us moving forward. We also get CBJs 3rd rd pick maybe Chevy can draft a great player. But, evidently there's still work that needs to be done on this roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Only ~12% of third round draft picks make the NHL 200 game mark. Roslo had more than that in Winnipeg at, what, ~24 years old. Roslo wasn't traded for a third. Roslo and Laine were traded for PLD, and the third was thrown in to try to balance out a bit an imbalanced trade on paper. That's how I see it.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Only ~12% of third round draft picks make the NHL 200 game mark. Roslo had more than that in Winnipeg at, what, ~24 years old. Roslo wasn't traded for a third. Roslo and Laine were traded for PLD, and the third was thrown in to try to balance out a bit an imbalanced trade on paper. That's how I see it.
Yes that's definitely one take on things... but PLD and Laine were fair market value - at best it should have been Laine and a pick... but of course Roslo's holdout lowered his value too.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
It feels like not having Perfetti messed up the depth of their lines, even though he wasn't being given a huge role or lighting it up too much.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
You are entitled to your opinion, but I do wonder if it is coloured by your overall opinion of the GM.

In PLD I see a unique 1C/power forward with leadership ability and a long tenure with the Jets. He won't ever win the Art Ross but I could easily see him winning a Conn Smythe.

In Laine, I see a scoring winger with significant flaws in his defensive game, poor conditioning with potential for future injury and an uncertain commitment to any single organization.

To me, whoever gets the best player wins the trade--in this case, it's not really close and Roslovic is therefore a red herring (unless one has a bone to pick with Chevy)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Whichever way you slice or dice it, if the conclusion by some is that this is a massive W or steal of a trade for the Jets then some other moves or transactions by Chevy and co. are failing us elsewhere, whether it be player personnel or staff. We're having our worst season (still lots of gp left though ofc) since 16-17, so even with this massive steal, the Jets still have deficiencies that have not been addressed adequately.

Agrre, but a processor exclusion suggests what the answer just might be.

- Add playdriving 1A/B centre -- Check !
- Add veteran top 4 defenders (two of 'em!) -- Check!
- Star winger Connor has career year -- Check!
- Select others having career or near-career years -- Check!
- Discover diamond in the rough back netminder who can give team chance in game she plays -- Check!
- JoMo recovers game -- Check!
- Pionk loses game -- Sigh. Check.
- Integrate top prospects where possible -- Half-assed check
- Seemingly infinite-term coach finally resigns... -- Check with a bullet!
- ... making way for bold new coaching staff hires with fresh, compelling vision for team -- No check!
- Finally play best players in their best possible positions -- Erm....

I think it's clear where the problem likely lie. Hopefully we see the requisite changes this off-season.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This was an entertaining game to watch. :thumbu:
Can't decide if I like the result or not. :laugh:

Starting to look like PO might just be possible, but probably just the hockey gods tearing us. We could win our next 3 games and not actually gain any ground. Then we lose 3 and are right back here.

The chance to trade Copp might be gone with his injury and we might just get close enough that Chevy doesn't sell anyway.

Reactions: kanadalainen

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Whichever way you slice or dice it, if the conclusion by some is that this is a massive W or steal of a trade for the Jets then some other moves or transactions by Chevy and co. are failing us elsewhere, whether it be player personnel or staff. We're having our worst season (still lots of gp left though ofc) since 16-17, so even with this massive steal, the Jets still have deficiencies that have not been addressed adequately.

I think it was fair trade and got us a very unique and key piece of the puzzle. We however have gotten a number of sub par performances from some other core pieces and the depth pieces they expected to step up and absorb the lose of Appelton and Roslovic didn't materialize.

I think the foundation and some of our key prospects should give us a strong nucleus if we can get a coach to mold it properly. What Chevy needs to do is move out dollars on defense for some good forward depth pieces.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think it was fair trade and got us a very unique and key piece of the puzzle. We however have gotten a number of sub par performances from some other core pieces and the depth pieces they expected to step up and absorb the lose of Appelton and Roslovic didn't materialize.

I think the foundation and some of our key prospects should give us a strong nucleus in we can get a coach to mold it properly. What Chevy needs to do is move out dollars on defense for some good forward depth pieces.
Agreed I think it's a fair trade overall considering the circumstances.

I don't think one side has won handedly over the other (yet?). I think most consider last year a write off for both players. However, if it was a huge win for us it'd be reflected in our standings a bit, or it has been basically nullified by weaknesses elsewhere. The fact that CBJ with top 6cs of boone jenner and Cole sillinger, an uber young defense leading to league worst defensive results are on par with us is kind of disheartening.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Didn't Laine want out? Wasn't that the whole reason for the trade? It seems like there's people who think if the trigger hadn't been pulled for PLD Laine would still be here playing for us.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed I think it's a fair trade overall considering the circumstances.

I don't think one side has won handedly over the other (yet?). I think most consider last year a write off for both players. However, if it was a huge win for us it'd be reflected in our standings a bit, or it has been basically nullified by weaknesses elsewhere. The fact that CBJ with top 6cs of boone jenner and Cole sillinger, an uber young defense leading to league worst defensive results are on par with us is kind of disheartening.
I just don't really waste that much time anymore trying to determine winners and lossers of trades. If the trade helps the team then that is what I care about.

Clearly things as a whole haven't gone to plan here. We will juat have to see how the org and team regroup for next year.

That is provided we don't go on an improbable run and sneak in.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I just don't really waste that much time anymore trying to determine winners and lossers of trades. If the trade helps the team then that is what I care about.

Clearly things as a whole haven't gone to plan here. We will juat have to see how the org and team regroup for next year.

That is provided we don't go on an improbable run and sneak in.
Yeah I'm not trying to make it the trade rather than Chevy hasn't done much else to improve this team. Whether it be scoring depth, better coaching, better defense etc.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I'm not trying to make it the trade rather than Chevy hasn't done much else to improve this team. Whether it be scoring depth, better coaching, better defense etc.

Well I think on paper we are better then where we sit but that is why they play the games. Clearly coaching and execution haven't been good enough this year and some of that falls on the GM.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Copp and Stastny are more then likely gone by the time Cole is back.

We likely see this:

Conner PLD Ehlers
Perfetti Scheifele Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Svech
Ves Gus xxx

You're not expecting Cole back this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad