Speculation: NJD Offseason Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Ugh, i'd almost purged the memories of Ghost Ryder and Brunner until you mentioned that :laugh:

Lol forgot about Ryder. I actually liked him a lot when we first signed him and thought he started out great, but he was absolutely terrible towards the end.

Side note. Out of all the players I have ever met and talked to, Ryder was probably the most clueless person ever. It was like he was constantly stoned.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm totally down for Yakupov on the cheap. I think he's 100% worth a second round pick straight up.

With the talent he has you pretty much have to do that. I'd risk a second or third rounder like the rumor is going on right now. But he would have to play in our top-6 you can't play him in a bottom-6 role otherwise he will not produce. Only way he'd produce in that role is on a third line with Zacha and Elias/Blender

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Severson + 1st for RNH
2nd for Yakupov
Sign Okposo in free agency

Cammalleri-Nugent Hopkins-Okposo
Yakupov-Henrique-Palmieri
(Zacha/Boucher/Blandisi)-Zajac-Stempniak (another FA or trade)
Kalinin-Josefson-Smith Pelley

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Severson + 1st for RNH
2nd for Yakupov

Sign Jason Demers to take Severson's place and call it an offseason. Oh wait .. let's take on that Datsyuk contract and add a top prospect from the Red Wings. That helps make up for the loss of that 1st round pick in the RNH deal.

Group Chat Legend*

Severson + 1st for RNH
2nd for Yakupov

No keep Severson, he is going to be real good

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Sign Jason Demers to take Severson's place and call it an offseason. Oh wait .. let's take on that Datsyuk contract and add a top prospect from the Red Wings. That helps make up for the loss of that 1st round pick in the RNH deal.

I didn't do the defense in my lineup because I'm worried about it.

Greene-Larsson is obviously the top pairing with Demers being the 2RD.

Then we have Merrill who has regressed a ton, Moore who is unreliable, and Schlemko who played well last year but isn't consistent and will probably show us eventually why he's a journeyman.... that's if he's even signed. Gelinas is gone. Helgeson is an AHL defenseman. Santini looked good in that game he played but needs experience and seasoning. Our glut of D prospects has been thinned out pretty quickly. Out of Larsson, Gelinas, Severson, and Merrill.... we may be left with ONE actually panning out (Larsson).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lol forgot about Ryder. I actually liked him a lot when we first signed him and thought he started out great, but he was absolutely terrible towards the end.

Side note. Out of all the players I have ever met and talked to, Ryder was probably the most clueless person ever. It was like he was constantly stoned.

He looked every bit as clueless on the ice with us too. He was just a terrible, terrible player after we got him.

He scored 33 points or 34 points in his first season with us, but 30 of them must have came in January or earlier. He totally died out from February onward, like worse than Clarkson in the lockout year.

No wonder why he wasn't playing anywhere last year, even Havlat managed to get two different tryouts and actually made the Blues, only to ask for termination after scoring a game winning goal against us in one of his 2 total games played. I'd really like to know what happened to Ryder in the last year though. He just literally dropped off the face of the earth, much like he did on ice two years ago. Didn't hear about any contract offers, PTO's, retirement, nothing at all.

While I think Brunner was a stupid idiot, I do think he got shafted to some degree. Ryder is really the one that should have probably been waived at the time. Brunner probably could have been an okay 3rd liner.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
HERO charts are the worst thing to happen to hockey in a long time, and I say this as a pro-stats guy.

According to them, Jake Gardiner is the best defenseman in hockey.

Group Chat Legend*

I didn't do the defense in my lineup because I'm worried about it.

Greene-Larsson is obviously the top pairing with Demers being the 2RD.

Then we have Merrill who has regressed a ton, Moore who is unreliable, and Schlemko who played well last year but isn't consistent and will probably show us eventually why he's a journeyman.... that's if he's even signed. Gelinas is gone. Helgeson is an AHL defenseman. Santini looked good in that game he played but needs experience and seasoning. Our glut of D prospects has been thinned out pretty quickly. Out of Larsson, Gelinas, Severson, and Merrill.... we may be left with ONE actually panning out (Larsson).

We need to separate Larsson-Greene otherwise we are in trouble

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Hell no to Severson and 11 for RNH.

11 alone could net us a forward prospect (Nylander, Keller, Jost) who's potential could be greater than or equivalent to what RNH is currently. There's no need to get rid of Severson on top of it. Even if we have to pick a defenceman, I'd still prefer to have Juolevi/Sergachev/Chychrun/Bean & Severson.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
A Fowler for Severson swap doesn't make sense for us.

HERO charts are the worst thing to happen to hockey in a long time, and I say this as a pro-stats guy.

While I would agree that it's useless to give up any assets for Fowler, I still wouldn't mind bringing him in on a fair deal in free agency.

Those stats have to say something though?

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
While I would agree that it's useless to give up any assets for Fowler, I still wouldn't mind bringing him in on a fair deal in free agency.

Those stats have to say something though?

It is simple math for the most part, people that dismiss them likely had a different narrative in their head about a player.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

Hero charts are a great thing. But some people use them as the end all and be all, which is unfortunate.

Swapping Severson for Fowler doesn't make a whole lot of sense for us.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hell no to Severson and 11 for RNH.

11 alone could net us a forward prospect (Nylander, Keller, Jost) who's potential could be greater than or equivalent to what RNH is currently. There's no need to get rid of Severson on top of it. Even if we have to pick a defenceman, I'd still prefer to have Juolevi/Sergachev/Chychrun/Bean & Severson.

^^^^^^
Common Sense, thank you. :nod:

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Severson and 11 are premium assets that must be separated. If you move one of them then fine but not both for a singular asset in particular especially.

There are ways around it ... first, take on that Datsuyk contract for one of Detroit's top young prospects. If the Devils land one of their top guys it replaces the loss of the #11 pick in essence. Then 2, sign Jason Demers in free agency to lessen the blow of losing Severson. In the end you wind up with a net gain by adding Nugent-Hopkins to a woeful offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad