Speculation: NJD Offseason Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Reinhart had way more value than Severson around the league. You can't just toss aside draft pedigree - Reinhart was the 4th overall pick three years before he was traded and that means a lot to other GMs.

Hard for me to believe Severson is worth a first rounder. Would you give up a first for Nathan Beaulieu? Because that's more where Severson's value lies.

If this is the case, trading Severson is more idiotic than I had even thought. Reinhart spent his first pro year in the minors unimpressively. Severson didn't play a game in the minors and was a top pairing D until an injury, then came back to a team that was coached by either 3 people or nobody. If you can't get Reinhart value for him there's no sense in dealing him.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Reinhart had way more value than Severson around the league. You can't just toss aside draft pedigree - Reinhart was the 4th overall pick three years before he was traded and that means a lot to other GMs.

Hard for me to believe Severson is worth a first rounder. Would you give up a first for Nathan Beaulieu? Because that's more where Severson's value lies.

Draft picks don't have as much value as you think.

and if pedigree really mattered more than actual on-ice play, Yakupov would be worth far more than a 3rd.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Kings and Devils are apparently talking about a young D

source suggests Larsson but its more likely Severson

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Rights to Lucic?!:sarcasm:

And it seems there's many people here sensitive to the idea of trading Severson, but I think we can all rest assured that if he's traded, it will be for something GOOD.

He's not gonna get dumped for Yakupov or something that isn't very good.

Group Chat Legend*

Dont know why Shero is shopping Severson

I hope he isnt bringing his Pittsburgh antics here, if he is we will soon be signing middlingg players to fill out one of the worst defenses in the league...

I hope he learned his lesson from doing it before. His valuations of PMDs is awful. Thats the scariest part of Shero for me

Group Chat Legend*

Rights to Lucic?!:sarcasm:

And it seems there's many people here sensitive to the idea of trading Severson, but I think we can all rest assured that if he's traded, it will be for something GOOD.

One would think, but look at Shero's history with moving PMDs and young D

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
"his Pittsburgh antics"

winning 1 Cup, getting to another Finals, and then having the team win a Cup 1-2 years after he left

yea, those "antics". why would we ever want them?!

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Dont know why Shero is shopping Severson

I hope he isnt bringing his Pittsburgh antics here, if he is we will soon be signing middlingg players to fill out one of the worst defenses in the league...

I hope he learned his lesson from doing it before. His valuations of PMDs is awful. Thats the scariest part of Shero for me

what trades are you talking about? The only decent PMDs he moved was Goligoski and he got Neal and Niskanen and the Whitney for Kunitz deal. Both of those are great deals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shero's Pittsburgh moves were operating under the fact that they were always a contender.

I think he'll be doing things differently here.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
what trades are you talking about? The only decent PMDs he moved was Goligoski and he got Neal and Niskanen and Whitney for Kunitz. Both of those are great deals.

That Goligoski deal for Neal and Niskanen was one of the WORST deals ever.

For Joe Nieuwendyk, that is. And it also played a role in him being fired two years later and another footnote in why he was such a JUNK general manager. Shero also clowned Jim Rutherford into giving up a top 10 pick for Jordan Staal AND Brandon Sutter. That deal had nothing to do with defensemen, just was a deal much in Shero's favor.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The funny thing is I agree with you...and I STILL don't want to dump Severson. Especially if this is one of the few trades where Shero is due to throw up a dud, they can't put up a dud with Severson.

Even in a best-case trading Severson leaves us with zilch after the big two until/if Santini makes an impact.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
There's a lot of noise this year.

I would not be surprised if it all ends up being as boring as that Bergevin presser.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's a lot of noise this year.

I would not be surprised if it all ends up being as boring as that Bergevin presser.

That's what usually happens. I DO think Shero makes a move and it might involve Sevs though, there's too much smoke there. Of course Sevs could be the new Scott Gomez who was rumored to be traded for like five straight years in the early '00's.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Severson, Blandisi, 2017 2nd for Toffoli

Give up the two biggest wildcards in the organization, two things NJ needs to hit on if they want to go anywhere, plus a draft pick, for a scoring winger who has likely at his peak and whose value is therefore obvious. Absolutely not. It's a good way to set this franchise right into a 7th through 10th in the Conference finisher until the end of time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Give up the two biggest wildcards in the organization, two things NJ needs to hit on if they want to go anywhere, plus a draft pick, for a scoring winger who has likely at his peak and whose value is therefore obvious. Absolutely not. It's a good way to set this franchise right into a 7th through 10th in the Conference finisher until the end of time.

:laugh:

he just turned 24 and scored 30 goals and has improved every year in the NHL. Severson regressed last year and Blandisi had a nice few week stretch

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not quite with Triumph BUT giving up Sevs does expand our hole on defense that we aren't filling this year now that the top two UFA's are off the board. Maybe you can talk me into Demers but now as one of the leading UFA's left his value's going through the roof too.

People have such a single-minded pursuit of forwards they don't seem to care about the state of defense beyond keeping Larsson.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Does anyone even remember that Demers was a middling player for most of his career, who barely outproduced Severson at the same age while on one of the best offensive teams in the league?

Unless you expect to win the cup next year, that guy provides nothing that we won't have soon.

The reason I mention it at all is because the need for more scoring is obscuring the fact that d-men take time. And we have zero reason to be impatient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad