Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Jack Hughes signs extension with the Devils (8 years, $8M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That's nice but that's not what the guy said. He said above anyone. McDavid, Makar, Fox etc. lol.
look, i never said, that jack is or will be better than any of those players. i just said i wouldn't trade him for any of those players. but this is mostly about the devils current state. they could easily miss next years po again. once they qualify, you have to count on two or more learning seasons, where you fall short against more battle tested po teams. whether any of those players would be willing to stick around for the long run is questionable. on the other hand there is jack hughes, who committed himself for 8 years and can grow with the youngest team in the league.

now tell me about the 5 ottawa players, who have a chance to become top 5 players at their position ...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
look, i never said, that jack is or will be better than any of those players. i just said i wouldn't trade him for any of those players. but this is mostly about the devils current state. they could easily miss next years po again. once they qualify, you have to count on two or more learning seasons, where you fall short against more battle tested po teams. whether any of those players would be willing to stick around for the long run is questionable. on the other hand there is jack hughes, who committed himself for 8 years and can grow with the youngest team in the league.

now tell me about the 5 ottawa players, who have a chance to become top 5 players at their position ...

Makes sense. Although Hughes defensive game + stature makes me wonder if he'll ever be top 5 player/C for multiple seasons.

Also, Stutzle, Sanderson, Tkachuk, Batherson, Chabot?

What about them? You thought you did something there? Notice the wording difference. Where I said chance. Versus you saying "wont".

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Makes sense. Although Hughes defensive game + stature makes me wonder if he'll ever be top 5 player/C for multiple seasons.

Also, Stutzle, Sanderson, Tkachuk, Batherson, Chabot?

What about them? You thought you did something there? Notice the wording difference. Where I said chance. Versus you saying "wont".
Fascinating.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That's nice but that's not what the guy said. He said above anyone. McDavid, Makar, Fox etc. lol.
Makar and Fox, no.

But honestly with McDavid it's not so simple. Hughes for 8 more years at 8M vs McDavid at 12.5 for only 4 is actually debatable.

Obviously McDavid is and will continue to be the better player. But if Hughes turns into a 80-100 point center, I think I'd take him with his contract. It's essentially the difference between a Giroux type of center and a Crosby type of center.

Reactions: bsu

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Makar and Fox, no.

But honestly with McDavid it's not so simple. Hughes for 8 more years at 8M vs McDavid at 12.5 for only 4 is actually debatable.

Obviously McDavid is and will continue to be the better player. But if Hughes turns into a 80-100 point center, I think I'd take him with his contract. It's essentially the difference between a Giroux type of center and a Crosby type of center.

Hughes has shown nothing similar to the 2 way and physical game ability of Giroux. Nor was it in any scouting reports or anything of that sort. Plus, we are talking about a top 5-10 player of all time vs a PPG player. You're acting like that's a slight difference. There's also a pretty big difference between 80 and 100 points. Hughes is gonna fall closer to the former.

Fascinating.

u thought u did something there as well lol

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hughes has shown nothing similar to the 2 way and physical game ability of Giroux. Nor was it in any scouting reports or anything of that sort. Plus, we are talking about a top 5-10 player of all time vs a PPG player. You're acting like that's a slight difference. There's also a pretty big difference between 80 and 100 points. Hughes is gonna fall closer to the former.

u thought u did something there as well lol
He's on pace for >90 points as a 20 year old... And his defensive game is very good for his age. He's one of the best takeaway players in the league.

You come across as extremely uninformed here.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I'm more interested in the fact that he thinks all of those Ottawa players have the potential to be top 5 players at their position the league. It's closer to zero than all five lol. Oof.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
His defensive metrics last year were INCREDIBLE
His best defensive attribute is his active stick...and his offense. He steal cheats a bit in the defensive zone because he wants to leak on offense, but he'll learn how to strike the right balance and make the right reads.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He's on pace for >90 points as a 20 year old... And his defensive game is very good for his age. He's one of the best takeaway players in the league.

You come across as extremely uninformed here.

In 33 games. Takeaways doesn't always mean defensive. Nah, he's a hell of a talent, but why'd you call me out and not that guy who said he would take him over anyone. Clear bias there. That was the point of my involvement. Not to undermine Hughes. McDavid can still give another decade of top 10 play all time yet yall sticking with Hughes, lmao. Makar already established top 3 defender for years and years.

I'm more interested in the fact that he thinks all of those Ottawa players have the potential to be top 5 players at their position the league. It's closer to zero than all five lol. Oof.

Batherson in his sophomore season is 7th in PPG among right wingers. Tkachuk is top 30 and 5th among all forwards in hits at 22. Chabot is Chabot. Stutzle and Sanderson were me hoping based off immense potential. "It's closer to zero" yet Batherson is 7th, lol. If you have nothing to contribute, don't make yourself look foolish.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
In 33 games. Takeaways doesn't always mean defensive. Nah, he's a hell of a talent, but why'd you call me out and not that guy who said he would take him over anyone. Clear bias there. That was the point of my involvement. Not to undermine Hughes. McDavid can still give another decade of top 10 play all time yet yall sticking with Hughes, lmao. Makar already established top 3 defender for years and years.

Batherson in his sophomore season is 7th in PPG as right wingers. Tkachuk is top 30 and 5th among all forwards in hits at 22. Chabot is chabot. Stutzle and Sanderson were me hoping based off immense potential. "It's closer to zero" yet Batherson is 7th, lol. If you have nothing to contribute, don't make yourself look foolish.
What does mean defensive? Because his defensive metrics have been excellent.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What does mean defensive? Because his defensive metrics have been excellent.

yer leadin me astray from the original argument. You're one of the more sensible NJD posters(in fact I think 1 of just a handful) we'll engage in this another time cause I'm not tryna deal with the others' nonsense.

but to give you quick idea, so have Stutzle's defensive metrics, but there's a notable strength dimension lacking that i've denoted taking affect against stronger teams. Analytics don't always paint accurate picture.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Batherson in his sophomore season is 7th in PPG among right wingers. Tkachuk is top 30 and 5th among all forwards in hits at 22. Chabot is Chabot. Stutzle and Sanderson were me hoping based off immense potential. "It's closer to zero" yet Batherson is 7th, lol. If you have nothing to contribute, don't make yourself look foolish.
Oh, 5th among forwards in hits? Chabot is Chabot? You hoping? My bad dude.

Best of luck. Definitely not setting yourself up for massive disappointment.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
yer leadin me astray from the original argument. You're one of the more sensible NJD posters(in fact I think 1 of just a handful) we'll engage in this another time cause I'm not tryna deal with the others' nonsense.

but to give you quick idea, so have Stutzle's defensive metrics, but there's a notable strength dimension lacking that i've denoted taking affect against stronger teams. Analytics don't always paint accurate picture.
My point was the difference between him and McDavid is similar to that of Giroux vs Crosby. Which I think is pretty fair, considering Giroux was hardly even in the league at 20.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My point was the difference between him and McDavid is similar to that of Giroux vs Crosby. Which I think is pretty fair, considering Giroux was hardly even in the league at 20.

He played 50 games during his 20/21 year old season.

Also, Giroux's best peak was not his point totals but his absolute monstrous 2 way and physical game he played especially in shutting down Pitts during that one series. Don't see Hughes ever having that role.

I see him as a C version of Marner.

Nonetheless, ask how many people would prefer Crosby at 12.5 vs Giroux at 8 for next 8 years(if they were in their prime). Futile argument here.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

Also, Giroux's best peak was not his point totals but his absolute monstrous 2 way and physical game he played especially in shutting down Pitts during that one series. Don't see Hughes ever having that role.

Nonetheless, ask how many people would prefer Crosby at 12.5 vs Giroux at 8 for next 8 years(if they were in their prime). Futile argument here.
you stubbornly misunderstand everything, what is posted and create false 'facts'. it's mcdavid for 4 years @ 12.5m vs. hughes for 8 years @ 8m.

the devils are the youngest team in the nhl and more than 2 years away from contending. there is no guarantee those stars would stay past their current contract. as a ottawa fan you should actually know.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Ignoring the fact that he’s signed for double the amount of years and is 5 years younger. When Jack is 24, he’ll have 4 more years at 8 million. McDavid will be 29 and a UFA. Obviously he’ll likely be a better player still, but age curves do exist.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Makar and Fox, no.

Crosby and Giroux? So the difference between a three-time Cup winner and all-time great vs a guy who will be viewed as someone who never achieved greatness despite putting up decent regular season stats?

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Crosby and Giroux? So the difference between a three-time Cup winner and all-time great vs a guy who will be viewed as someone who never achieved greatness despite putting up decent regular season stats?
you are aware, that teams win cups. not players. obviously crosby has tremendously contributed to those cup wins and to rate him above mcdavid careerwise is totally fine with me. but a single player can only do so much in hockey. a forward is normally one of 5 skater in less than half the teams minutes. having the best skater doesn't automatically result in wins.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
you are aware, that teams win cups. not players. obviously crosby has tremendously contributed to those cup wins and to rate him above mcdavid careerwise is totally fine with me. but a single player can only do so much in hockey. a forward is normally one of 5 skater in less than half the teams minutes. having the best skater doesn't automatically result in wins.

Yep, I'm aware of that. And the comparison isn't really relevant to Jack Hughes, so I won't push it further. I just think there is a big difference between true winners and leaders and then everybody else. It's not so much a slight on anyone, but rather some players are capable of taking it to another level. We have no idea if Jack can rise to that level, or Conor for that matter.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
A 94 point pace over a 33 game span is more than "good" for a 20 year old center.

Show me a list of 20 year old centers who were capable of that sort of production in the last 15 years. It probably looks something like:

Crosby
Malkin
Kopitar
Stamkos
McDavid
Eichel
Barzal
Matthews
Hughes

I guess you could say that's "good" company.

Good company indeed.

A rough list of current stars, former top-picks in 3rd season (PPG)

Name
Lemieux 1.70
Lindros 1.49
Crosby 1.36
P. Turgeon 1.33
McDavid 1.32

Kariya 1.32
Hawerchuk 1.28
Sakic 1.28
Carson 1.25
E. Staal 1.22

Roenick 1.18
Jagr 1.16
Heatley 1.16
J. Hughes 1.15
Simpson 1.13

Ovechkin 1.12
Hall 1.11
Stamkos 1.11
Malkin 1.09
Kovalchuk 1.07

Matthews 1.07
Backstrom 1.07
Kane 1.07
Nolan 1.05
Rantanen 1.04

Barzal 1.04
Ricci 1.01
Nash 1.00
Tavares 0.99
Shanahan 0.99

M. Tkachuk 0.96
Sundin 0.95
Tangauy 0.94
Yashin 0.94
Pastrnak 0.93

Arnott 0.92
Linden 0.88
Kessel 0.86
Nedved 0.85
Toews 0.84

Gomez 0.83
Modano 0.81
Gaborik 0.80
Landeskog 0.79
Lecavalier 0.75

Nylander 0.75
Connor 0.75
Thornton 0.74
R. Neidermayer 0.74
Dubois 0.74

MacKinnon 0.72
Hossa 0.72
Wickenheiser 0.71
Spezza 0.71
Nugent-Hopkins 0.70

Havlat 0.69
Getzlaf 0.68
Seguin 0.67
Olczyk 0.65
B. Tkachuk 0.64

Giroux 0.64
Thomas 0.64
Brind’amour 0.63
Hischier 0.62
Voracek 0.62

K. Tkachuk 0.61
Laine 0.61
Reinhart 0.59
Suzuki 0.58
Keller 0.57

Scheifele 0.54
Lawton 0.54
Legwand 0.51
Horvat 0.49
R. Strome 0.49

Duchene 0.48
Zibanejad 0.48
Couturier 0.48
Lindholm 0.48
H. Sedin 0.44

D. Sedin 0.41
Yakupov 0.41
Stefan 0.39
Kakko 0.38
Bennett 0.32

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think I would prefer to have prime Giroux + 4.5M in cap space for 8 years than Crosby for 4 years

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Good company indeed.

A rough list of current stars, former top-picks in 3rd season (PPG)

Name
Lemieux 1.70
Lindros 1.49
Crosby 1.36
P. Turgeon 1.33
McDavid 1.32

Kariya 1.32
Hawerchuk 1.28
Sakic 1.28
Carson 1.25
E. Staal 1.22

Roenick 1.18
Jagr 1.16
Heatley 1.16
J. Hughes 1.15
Simpson 1.13

Ovechkin 1.12
Hall 1.11
Stamkos 1.11
Malkin 1.09
Kovalchuk 1.07

Matthews 1.07
Backstrom 1.07
Kane 1.07
Nolan 1.05
Rantanen 1.04

Barzal 1.04
Ricci 1.01
Nash 1.00
Tavares 0.99
Shanahan 0.99

M. Tkachuk 0.96
Sundin 0.95
Tangauy 0.94
Yashin 0.94
Pastrnak 0.93

Arnott 0.92
Linden 0.88
Kessel 0.86
Nedved 0.85
Toews 0.84

Gomez 0.83
Modano 0.81
Gaborik 0.80
Landeskog 0.79
Lecavalier 0.75

Nylander 0.75
Connor 0.75
Thornton 0.74
R. Neidermayer 0.74
Dubois 0.74

MacKinnon 0.72
Hossa 0.72
Wickenheiser 0.71
Spezza 0.71
Nugent-Hopkins 0.70

Havlat 0.69
Getzlaf 0.68
Seguin 0.67
Olczyk 0.65
B. Tkachuk 0.64

Giroux 0.64
Thomas 0.64
Brind’amour 0.63
Hischier 0.62
Voracek 0.62

K. Tkachuk 0.61
Laine 0.61
Reinhart 0.59
Suzuki 0.58
Keller 0.57

Scheifele 0.54
Lawton 0.54
Legwand 0.51
Horvat 0.49
R. Strome 0.49

Duchene 0.48
Zibanejad 0.48
Couturier 0.48
Lindholm 0.48
H. Sedin 0.44

D. Sedin 0.41
Yakupov 0.41
Stefan 0.39
Kakko 0.38
Bennett 0.32
What’s not taken imto account in this is strength or how good these players line mates are.
It gives you a good rough idea on how players measure up against each other but there would be some movement on the list if some players had better or worse line mates.
Hughes has had Sharangovich and Kuokkanen as wingers… not really the high profile elite wingers that some others have had.

Reactions: Favin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad