Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Jack Hughes signs extension with the Devils (8 years, $8M AAV)

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Anything less than 8 will become an absolute steal. Trevor Zegras is probably keeping a close eye on this contract for a comparable.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Sounds reasonable. He could be a steal even at 9.5, hard to say yet.
He was incredible last year without the point production, looked great in 2 games so far this year.

Its a risk, no doubt but you could lock him up early to 7.5 million and potentially get a great AAV for a top line center down the line.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
What AAV are the Devils fans expecting?

Very, very tricky. This is one of those scenarios where he's going to be overpaid relative to production provided so far, but you're really banking on what you're getting moving forward. I doubt I will have a major issue with what we give him if it's got a nice term. I wanted us to do similarly for Bratt and just bank on the skill and give him a long term deal...now he's on a nearly 75 point pace and going to be expensive at his next signing.

I'm okay with shooting your shot and missing in instances like this.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I dont think this gets done at this point in the year if it is a bridge deal

Think it can be long term. Even if it was a 5 year deal, he would still be an RFA once its over
How would that be possible?

its 7 years isnt it. Or did that change?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
What AAV are the Devils fans expecting?

I'm expecting more than what Suzuki got (7.8m x 8) at a minimum. I'm guessing something like 9m x 8. 8 years at anything less than 10m I'm probably happy about. 5 years I don't think Fitz would offer at this point.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Guy has a career high of 31 points on pace for 45 and 8M is a steal? What has this league come to?

The way he plays screams 'franchise center'. This season he absolutely dominated and scored 3 points in 4 periods, then sadly got injured.

EDIT: And also timing is very smart by Devils. If he comes back after his injury and remains on PPG pace, 8M/8 years deal may never be an option again. There's a risk but it is a risk worth taking IMO.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Not trying to be rude, but Devils fans clearly value him a lot with the numbers thrown out. I'm a little surprised based on my limited viewings and his point production (I know he's been on a rough team).

Is exceptional at driving play or something? Otherwise these predictions of 7.5-9 seem kind of high.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Gone are the days of paying a player for what he did.

GMs now pay for what players are projected to do.

I don’t agree with it but that’s what it’s come to

Bridge contracts are more for paying players what they’ve done so far. Long contracts include projections, no reason for a player like Hughes not to bet on himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad