Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Jack Hughes signs extension with the Devils (8 years, $8M AAV)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
congrats on a good 30 games, I guess?
A 94 point pace over a 33 game span is more than "good" for a 20 year old center.

Show me a list of 20 year old centers who were capable of that sort of production in the last 15 years. It probably looks something like:

Crosby
Malkin
Kopitar
Stamkos
McDavid
Eichel
Barzal
Matthews
Hughes

I guess you could say that's "good" company.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
A 94 point pace over a 33 game span is more than "good" for a 20 year old center.

Show me a list of 20 year old centers who were capable of that sort of production in the last 15 years. It probably looks something like:

Crosby
Malkin
Kopitar
Stamkos
McDavid
Eichel
Barzal
Matthews
Hughes

I guess you could say that's "good" company.
he is right. it's a sss.

the good thing for the devils and us fans is, we can watch the sample size grow for the next 8+ years. :nod:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
he is right. it's a sss.

the good thing for the devils and us fans is, we can watch the sample size grow for the next 8+ years. :nod:

Sample sizes work both ways, maybe at the 50 game mark you see his production go upwards. That’s the way it’s trending anyways.

33 games is not that small of a sample size, it’s over a fifth of his career total games, and it also happens to be the most recent of those games.

You’re being very dishonest if you think the 117 games where Hughes was getting adjusted to the league and developing is more indicative of who he will be or is as a player going forward than this stretch of very solid hockey he’s playing.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Sample sizes work both ways, maybe at the 50 game mark you see his production go upwards. That’s the way it’s trending anyways.

33 games is not that small of a sample size, it’s over a fifth of his career total games, and it also happens to be the most recent of those games.

You’re being very dishonest if you think the 117 games where Hughes was getting adjusted to the league and developing is more indicative of who he will be or is as a player going forward than this stretch of very solid hockey he’s playing.
look i am devils fan and i wouldn't trade jack for any player 1 for 1 right now. not mcdavid, not matthews, not draisaitl, not mackinnon, not kucherov, not vasilevsky *. i don't say, he is better than those players. not at all. but considering age, ceiling, contract and most importantly the stage of the devils development, i rather bet on hughes and his 8+ years at 8m, than the shorter terms of the other players. so my believe in him is stronger than ever.

still the 33 game sample is relative small in regards to the 8 years of term, he got in his contract. also recency bias is very strong on this board. therefore i can't fault someone to ask for a bigger sample size and that jack proofs his contract. as a devils fan i am happy, when he will.

* hopefully i haven't forgotten anybody, whose omission will cause an outcry or shit show on this board. i even included two russian players for world peace sake.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
look i am devils fan and i wouldn't trade jack for any player 1 for 1 right now. not mcdavid, not matthews, not draisaitl, not mackinnon, not kucherov, not vasilevsky *. i don't say, he is better than those players. not at all. but considering age, ceiling, contract and most importantly the stage of the devils development, i rather bet on hughes and his 8+ years at 8m, than the shorter terms of the other players. so my believe in him is stronger than ever.

still the 33 game sample is relative small in regards to the 8 years of term, he got in his contract. also recency bias is very strong on this board. therefore i can't fault someone to ask for a bigger sample size and that jack proofs his contract. as a devils fan i am happy, when he will.

* hopefully i haven't forgotten anybody, whose omission will cause an outcry or shit show on this board. i even included two russian players for world peace sake.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Doubt you get much support outside NJD. McDavid is generational. Matthews, Draisaitl, Mackinnon, Kucherov and Vasilevsky are MVP worthy players. Players that Hughes might aspire towards, but still nowhere near their level.

If you want to compare based on similarly aged players: Makar, Heiskanen, Pettersson, Svechnikov, Tkachuk Brothers & Dahlin.

JHughes has unbelievable tools if he creates offence, not much defensively due to his size. He might be trending upwards, but hesitant to rank him better than some of the similarly aged players that provides different dynamics.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Considering age and contract status, Hughes has to be one of the most valuable assets in the league.
Let's let him top 40 points 1 time in his career before we go saying this..... (partially a joke as he likely will this week). he is having a great season so far, let see if he can keep it up over an 82 game season. Also league scoring is up this year in general (even compared to last year) so it is harder to compare to say players of even 5 years ago.

Edit: these covid era players have never played a full greulling season whereby point totals for many start to drop over the 2nd half due to fatigue and teams tighten up for the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how many of these players drafted in the last couple years do in future full length seasons

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Fairly small sample size of success but this is why you always bet on high end young talent. I can't think of too many of these early 2nd contracts to young core players that haven't worked out. Get them locked up before they break out.

The Oilers did this with Draisaitl (a year too late but still...)when everybody was slamming the contract and I'm sure glad that they were smarter than the HF armchair GMs.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Doubt you get much support outside NJD. McDavid is generational. Matthews, Draisaitl, Mackinnon, Kucherov and Vasilevsky are MVP worthy players. Players that Hughes might aspire towards, but still nowhere near their level.

If you want to compare based on similarly aged players: Makar, Heiskanen, Pettersson, Svechnikov, Tkachuk Brothers & Dahlin.

JHughes has unbelievable tools if he creates offence, not much defensively due to his size. He might be trending upwards, but hesitant to rank him better than some of the similarly aged players that provides different dynamics.
I'm not defending his statement but he did state that all those players are better than Jack.

Jack's ceiling, age and contract make him very valuable if he continues to develop at his current rate, which is no guarantee of course.

Outside of McDavid, Jack has the potential to be at the same level as the rest, but potential is just that, potential.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Jack is a takeaway machine.
he's good i guess, tied for 25th in the league right now with 39, leader has 66, and then again, only 7 have over 50 so far. ...maybe not a machine, but, he's young and that should improve too.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'm not defending his statement but he did state that all those players are better than Jack.

Jack's ceiling, age and contract make him very valuable if he continues to develop at his current rate, which is no guarantee of course.

Outside of McDavid, Jack has the potential to be at the same level as the rest, but potential is just that, potential.
I mean guys like Matthews scored more goals in his first seasons than Hughes scored in his entire 150 game career to date. Hell Matthews only scored 3 less goals in his first ever NHL game compared to Hughes entire first season (61 games).

I dont think he has the same ceiling as some of those guys who didn't need any time to adapt to the NHL and had the size to go along with high end skill

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
he's good i guess, tied for 25th in the league right now with 39, leader has 66, and then again, only 7 have over 50 so far. ...maybe not a machine, but, he's young and that should improve too.

He also missed 20 games or so with his shoulder injury and Covid.

Either way, Jack isn’t great defensively in a traditional sense, but his takeaway ability is a massive asset.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

i don't make a case, that jack hughes is better than those players today; nor do i make a case, that he will get on their level.

still for the devils it doesn't make sense to trade hughes for e.g. mackinnon (your avs player) even if it is guaranteed, that mackinnon will be better over the span of mackinnon's current contract. the contract is only valid for this and next year and in those two years, the devils definitely won't win a cup, even if you replace hughes with mackinnon. with no guarantee, that mackinnon would resign with the devils, exchanging 1.5 years of mackinnon for 8.5 years of hughes is a no-go for a rebuilding devils team.

i fully agree, that the trade also doesn't make sense for a contending avs team, who has a much better chance at resigning mackinnon, than the devils would have.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013

Out of the players you mentioned that are similar in age the only one I would even think about trading Hughes for would be Makar. With Luke marinating in the system I would probably pass on that deal as well.

Jack Hughes is going to be a superstar of the Patty Kane variety and I can’t wait to watch him every step of the way.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

upload_2022-3-1_8-56-28.gif

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Happy for Devil's fans and Hughes. I was a tad bit worried when he signed the deal, but even if he "only" trends towards a 70-80 point player instead of a 94 points player, this is still a great deal.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I'm just going to enjoy watching him play and know that we have him locked up. He brings me entertainment watching him play hockey. All the rest is just noise.

It was a risky contract, but one that I was fully on board with. It's okay to shoot your shot...sometimes you miss, sometimes you don't. Felt good about not missing on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad