Confirmed with Link: [NJD/FLA] Marc Savard and 2018 2nd rounder for Paul Thompson and Graham Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
NJ did very well getting a 2nd considering Arizona took Pronger as a throw-in last summer.

Andrew Macdonald says hi. :nod:
And Clarkson has a contract that isn't worth buying out (at least that was said when he signed in Toronto).

I wouldn't trade MacDonald for Clarkson or Brown. His contract is cheaper/shorter, and he's a more useful player.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
def concern whether this ownership group is going to spend any money. Don't like the Arizona comparisons since they are in the same boat

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Nothing confirmed yet, but Florida likely freeing ton of CAP money up to go after : Stamkos (I think they are 3rd-4th on his list, not lower or higher) ... , maybe Okposo or Lucic/Ladd (hope not on those two). If not high end forward, expect RHD type in Vatanen, Trouba, Barrie etc. Goalie like Reimer. Plus Trocheck /Campbell re-signed. That's 16-20 mil right there.
Savards CAP counts during June/July. Only reason the deal makes sense. The owners want to spend no doubt.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
def concern whether this ownership group is going to spend any money. Don't like the Arizona comparisons since they are in the same boat

You can look at the blueprint they are using for the Philadelphia 76ers. They are going to build through the draft and by acquiring younger players. While I want a big name player in free agency, we aren't one player away.

I am expecting another k'palm type trade this year.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I think Shero will make several interesting moves this offseason.

I do NOT think he acquired this 2nd rounder to actually use it in 2018. It will probably included in a different deal.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site

I'm not worried about that, I can't think of a single example of them not spending money when they should have. I certainly don't want them just throwing money around because they have it like the Sabres did when Pegula first took over.

I think our Ownership and management group has correctly identified that the stagnant cap and upcoming expansion draft are going to make lots of good assets available for pennies on the dollar to teams with the flexibility to make those moves. See this and the Palmieri trade for perfect examples.

I know Leafs fans will tell you that the only way to rebuild is to sell off everything and amass top picks but we could conceivably come out of two offseasons under Shero with something like Palmieri, Zacha, Jost and a guy like Teravainen all while delivering a pretty entertaining product on the ice. I'll take that any day over icing the dumpster fire the Leafs have over the last two years. I for one can't wait to see how this offseason unfolds for NJ.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I do NOT think he acquired this 2nd rounder to actually use it in 2018. It will probably included in a different deal.

That's what I'm hearing too.
Ray has been given the green light to do what he has to do w/o any restrictions.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey

So-It-Begins.gif

Thanks as always for your insight

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i wonder... who are the big FAs next offseason season? if we're looking past this off season in terms of cap space, potentially, is there anyone you all think we could be looking at?

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
i wonder... who are the big FAs next offseason season? if we're looking past this off season in terms of cap space, potentially, is there anyone you all think we could be looking at?

Dmitry Kulikov, Shattenkirk, TJ Oshie, P. Berglund, Alzner, Brendan Smith. Any of these would be my first choice but there are others, mostly over 30.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014

What kind of moves do you think he has in mind ... throw out a few potential scenarios if you would, please.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
I'm really interested to see what Ray does this offseason. Honestly, I would've liked the FLA pick to be no later then 2017 but it seems like everyone overwhelmingly sees this as a positive move plus I have faith in Ray so I'm ok with it (like it matters if I'm "ok" with it).

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
He says it as if there's some rule barring us from doing the deal.

Can we get clarification on this? Does he have knowledge of Shero's planning? Is there a rule out there we're not aware of? Is he just pulling this out of thin air without looking at our cap situation?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Friedman says we're likely out of the Datsyuk derby as he calls it.

Where did you see this?

Edit: Found it. Just says that somehow getting Savard means we won't be after Dats and only Arizona and Carolina are left.

That literally makes no sense considering how much space we have. I don't think he actually checked the cap numbers.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Unless Friedman has insight on us sticking strictly to the cap floor, I don't see how we can be out on Datsyuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad