Confirmed with Link: [NJD/FLA] Marc Savard and 2018 2nd rounder for Paul Thompson and Graham Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Brown has 5 years left on his contract, Clarkson has 4 years left on his, so taking them on would be stupid. Bickell and Datsyuk on the other hand would be fine. Especially Datsyuk since he'll be in Russia.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
brown's and clarkson's contracts are gross I don't know if there is anything those teams can realistically give up to make taking either of them tolerable lol

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
brown's and clarkson's contracts are gross I don't know if there is anything those teams can realistically give up to make taking either of them tolerable lol

Hypothetically for Clarkson I want 3rd Overall++ and they retain some salary.

Might need this year and next years 1sts from the King's just to start.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't want Clarkson or Brown. Too many years remaining for each of them and at handcuffingly high cap hits.

Can't believe with how much people complain about Zajac, that anyone would even think Brown or Clarkson are an option. Until either of them go on LTIR (if ever) permanently, I don't wanna even come into contact with their contracts without a hazmat suit. Both of them are still active players, unlike Savard or Clowe. It might not be long before Clarkson finds himself on LTIR for good, with the way he's been hurt over the last 2 or 3 years. But Brown has managed to stay very healthy. Very healthy, while dramatically declining in skill and play.

Bickell and Datsyuk just have a year remaining each, just like Savard does.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Don't want Clarkson or Brown. Too many years remaining for each of them and at handcuffingly high cap hits.

Can't believe with how much people complain about Zajac, that anyone would even think Brown or Clarkson are an option. Until either of them go on LTIR (if ever) permanently, I don't wanna even come into contact with their contracts without a hazmat suit. Both of them are still active players, unlike Savard or Clowe. It might not be long before Clarkson finds himself on LTIR for good, with the way he's been hurt over the last 2 or 3 years. But Brown has managed to stay very healthy. Very healthy, while dramatically declining in skill and play.

Bickell and Datsyuk just have a year remaining each, just like Savard does.

No one should want to touch Brown's contract. It is hideous. Buy out is 12 years right now or 6 years of crap. Clarkson is just as bad, just a year less for an even worse player.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No one should want to touch Brown's contract. It is hideous. Buy out is 12 years right now or 6 years of crap. Clarkson is just as bad, just a year less for an even worse player.

For my money, there are no contracts in the league that are worse than those two.

Clarkson's is easily the worst because he doesn't even provide you the production of a great 4th liner anymore and he gets paid more per year than Mike Cammalleri and for one more year longer than Cammalleri's contract.

Brown gets paid about a half a million more per year (give or take a couple grand) than Clarkson and for 2 more years longer. But at least he is a very low end 3rd liner still. He's a very below average 3rd liner though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
For my money, there are no contracts in the league that are worse than those two.

Clarkson's is easily the worst because he doesn't even provide you the production of a great 4th liner anymore and he gets paid more per year than Mike Cammalleri and for one more year longer than Cammalleri's contract.

Brown gets paid about a half a million more per year (give or take a couple grand) than Clarkson and for 2 more years longer. But at least he is a very low end 3rd liner still. He's a very below average 3rd liner though.

I can't believe he is making more than Camm :laugh:

Brown is declining really fast. One, maybe two years at best as a third liner before he reaches 4th line plug mode.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't believe he is making more than Camm :laugh:

Brown is declining really fast. One, maybe two years at best as a third liner before he reaches 4th line plug mode.

The one consistent thing about Brown is that he hasn't really continuously declined over the last 3 years. He just fell off a cliff during the 13-14 season and has steadily remained there since. He's had 27, 27 and 28 points in the last 3 seasons. That was in 79, 82 and 82 games in those seasons. That's after scoring 29 points in 46 games in the 12-13 lockout season. But in the last 82 game season before he fell off in 13-14, he had 54 points in 82 games in the 11-12 season. He was constantly a 53-57 point player before he got that extension, so it made sense. It just so happened that the year after he got that extension, he fell to 27 points in 79 games.

That was actually the last year on his previous contract, so if he hadn't been given an extension earlier, that's the statline he would have went to UFA with. But as bad as that contract is, at least he had a track record before. Clarkson had no track record. One 30 goal season with 46 points and one 24 point season in 48 games the next. Basically he had one and a half seasons of being a 40-45 point-ish player before getting that contract.:laugh:

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Someone who the trade front has quieted on is Matt Carle, when it comes to bad contracts.

Tampa will need to dump him. They currently possess their first, and also two seconds, Boston and theirs.

Based on today's deal, Carle's hit is greater than Savard's, and also has an additional year. That should command more for the team trading with the Lightning.

Their pick will be 27th overall. Somehow getting that pick and either Boston or their second, or a prospect of theirs would be huge. Then, I'd work on Detroit with Datsyuk, and try to obtain their first or second, and a prospect like Pulkinen.

kiwidevil

The thing is with Carle is that he can still play. He may not be as effective as he once was but can still be a regular.

He was basically given no PP time this year or last. And that is mainly his bread and butter.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Yep. A bunch of one year contracts that we could snatch like Bickell, Datsyuk, and Carle. I think that this will be a good offseason for New Jersey, especially with the cap potentially going down

I thought you were pretending to be me with your little ditty below your username :P

I see no issues with this move.

1) Gets us a second for an LTIR contract with minimal cap it
2) Clears up space for guys like Zacha/Quenneville in the AHL to get some experience in the pros
3) Makes me think we're gearing up for packages at the draft.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I thought you were pretending to be me with your little ditty below your username :P

I see no issues with this move.

1) Gets us a second for an LTIR contract with minimal cap it
2) Clears up space for guys like Zacha/Quenneville in the AHL to get some experience in the pros
3) Makes me think we're gearing up for packages at the draft.

It is really only number 1. Zacha can't play in Albany next season and there is plenty of room there for JQ. Also this pick won't have much value at this year's draft. It only starts becoming a factor next year most likely. A 2nd two year's down the line is closer to a 4th, maybe a 3rd at best this year.

Bickell still seems like the best option to get the best return for a contract. Chicago needs to move him, and it is real money on top of the hit. Dats is only the cap hit I believe because he would be "retired". While the hit is huge, since no one is actually paying him it means teams who are short on cash can still make bids.

Curious that no one underbid us and asked for a third to steal the trade. Teams might not be as willing to take on cap dumps as some thought?

Last edited:

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia

Andrew Macdonald says hi. :nod:
And Clarkson has a contract that isn't worth buying out (at least that was said when he signed in Toronto).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad