Confirmed with Link: [NJD/FLA] Marc Savard and 2018 2nd rounder for Paul Thompson and Graham Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
This trade is the very definition of "meh." It's not good or bad for either side, unless the second round pick turns out to be good. It's just there, mainly so that Shero can reach the cap floor.

I'm sure he'll have some tricks up his sleeve come Draft Day.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We basically got a free 2nd round pick.

Though I wish we could hop in a DeLorean and get Marc Savard from 10 years ago on this team. He was one of the best playmaking centers I've ever seen.

Seriously though dude, Savard from like the late 00's would have been pretty damn sweet.

While he didn't have an entire career that had that impressive body of work, he did have a few years there where he was able to impersonate Joe Thornton.

And I'd still give it a roughly 20% chance that the 39 year old and 6 years removed from the NHL (and with post concussion syndrome) could outproduce almost our entire bottom 6 last year. And 20% chance for a guy that age, that hasn't been on the ice in 6 years and has concussion problems is still pretty good. I think Clowe could probably outproduce our bottom 6 from last year, or at least in the 10 games he plays before ending up on IR again. But that's for a different topic....

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This trade is the very definition of "meh." It's not good or bad for either side, unless the second round pick turns out to be good. It's just there, mainly so that Shero can reach the cap floor.

It might not be so good if Graham Black cracks the NHL or Paul Thompson scores one NHL point in his career!:sarcasm:

I'm still baffled at how Graham Black was one of our most talked about forward prospects just 2 years ago. Not that he was being way hyped, just that he was being talked about when people were going over our young forward depth in the organization. I personally never thought he had a higher ceiling than a 4th line NHL ceiling, unless we got REALLY lucky. And it's clear that this past season, he was one of the guys that the new regime didn't see as being very high in the pecking order, as he didn't get much time in preseason before being one of the first cuts in training camp, never mind not getting a call up at all later on. I'm not necessarily sure that the Lou regime was very high on him either, but the Shero and Hynes duo clearly were not.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

We don't need the Savard contract to get to the floor dude

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would get us close, but it depends what Palms gets. DSP hasn't earned any kind of serious payday.

Yeah DSP will likely get a bridge deal, since we don't know yet if he's closer to the 4th line player he was at the end in Anaheim and in Montreal, or if he's closer to the top 6 guy we saw when we got him.

My guess is that he's probably somewhere smack dab in the middle of that, and he'll probably get like a $1.5 million per year deal for 2 years or something. Maybe $2-ish million tops. I think that might be pushing.

Not sure about Palms just yet. My guess is maybe $4.5 million to $5 million per year. I think it all depends on how many UFA years of his we buy out too, if we buy any of them out. Henrique and Larsson are both on similar deals that take away UFA years and are both more than reasonable.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We don't need the Savard contract to get to the floor dude

honestly unless we overpaid someone like Elias or did really well in free agency, I think we did.

We were like $12 million under the floor before the trade? We definitely didn't have enough contracts internally to fill that and we could easily of struck out on Gogo and Okposo if Shero is even considering them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah DSP will likely get a bridge deal, since we don't know yet if he's closer to the 4th line player he was at the end in Anaheim and in Montreal, or if he's closer to the top 6 guy we saw when we got him.

My guess is that he's probably somewhere smack dab in the middle of that, and he'll probably get like a $1.5 million per year deal for 2 years or something. Maybe $2-ish million tops. I think that might be pushing.

Not sure about Palms just yet. My guess is maybe $4.5 million to $5 million per year. I think it all depends on how many UFA years of his we buy out too, if we buy any of them out. Henrique and Larsson are both on similar deals that take away UFA years and are both more than reasonable.

About 4 is the number. Ya we can afford to go to five no problem right now, but you don't negotiate like that. Considering what Rico and Lars are getting paid 4 seems the right number.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
honestly unless we overpaid someone like Elias or did really well in free agency, I think we did.

We were like $12 million under the floor before the trade? We definitely didn't have enough contracts internally to fill that and we could easily of struck out on Gogo and Okposo if Shero is even considering them.

we are $9 million from the floor right now

Palmieri takes up more than half of that right off that bat. add in the contracts for Boucher/DSP, we are right there

we didn;t need the $4 million to hit the floor. Palmieri/DSP/Boucher/Josefson will be at least $10 million between them, plus we are going to sign or trade for more guys IMO

Last edited:

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
A point that's not being mentioned;

Was Thompson and Black signed to deals that counted against our 50 contract limit? If so, shedding one for the pick is a pure bonus.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
A point that's not being mentioned;

Was Thompson and Black signed to deals that counted against our 50 contract limit? If so, shedding one for the pick is a pure bonus.

not really, because Savard's contract counts

so we gained 1 spot, not a big deal

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
About 4 is the number. Ya we can afford to go to five no problem right now, but you don't negotiate like that. Considering what Rico and Lars are getting paid 4 seems the right number.

I keep forgetting that Palmieri is 25 and not 23, so we'd probably buy out at least 2 or 3 of his UFA years. Since he's eligible to be a UFA in only 2 more years.

I'm thinking he'll get closer to $4.5 million though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Palms is gonna get in the $5's IMO

I'm thinking he might get in the $5's as well and I think it makes sense as opposed to Henrique only getting $4 million a few years back.

Henrique was only 23 at the time and we only bought out 2 UFA years I think. Palmieri is now 25 and we might buy out 3 or hopefully 4 of his UFA years with this deal.

And also adjusted for the cap rising and inflation, it's been 3 years since Henrique's deal. If Palmieri gets something in the $5 million's, I don't think it will be MUCH above $5.

But I think it's more than possible that he does get $5 million per year.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Palmieri 5.125
Schlemko 2.5
DSP 2.0
Merrill 1.75
Boucher 1.5
Josefson 1.125
Kalinin 0.95

= 14.95

Gives us 16.94 in summer cap space and 25.835 in real cap space when the season starts and LTIR happens.

We could easily throw around serious money this summer, enough to sign Okposo AND Goligoski if we really wanted to.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Palmieri 5.125
Schlemko 2.5
DSP 2.0
Merrill 1.75
Boucher 1.5
Josefson 1.125
Kalinin 0.95

= 14.95

Gives us 16.94 in summer cap space and 25.835 in real cap space when the season starts and LTIR happens.

We could easily throw around serious money this summer, enough to sign Okposo AND Goligoski if we really wanted to.

I don't think the plan is to build through UFA though. Okposo and Goligoski will be nice pieces when we have a core built up ready to go.

Depth signings will continue until we have a build up base of younger players and then we will supplement the roster with UFA's who fit.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Goligoski and Okposo will be signed for 4-6 years, they wouldnt be 1-2 year adds

they will be here when we're ready to compete

you can't build your entire team from the draft

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The currency the Devils traded for was not Savard's contract but the pick.

Let's just say a player the Devils like, such as a Tufte or DeBrincat or Abramov, was to fall out of the first round. The extra 2nd rounder added to one of the Devils' 2016 3rd round picks might be enough to move up into the early 30's.

Draft picks are currency. Shero made an outstanding move to put more currency in NJ's proverbial pockets.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think 6-8 years, 4.75 per for Palmieri is a perfect and fair deal for both parties.

I'm not sure how the new contracts work, but I would imagine a two-year bridge deal for Palmieri would come in at about 3.5 million.

If you look at Larsson's deal, it's a combination of a bridge deal and a reasonable extension. He makes 5.5 million in the first two years and 19.5 million in the last four. I see the same happening for Palmieri:

2016-17: 3.25 million
2017-18: 3.75 million
2018-19: 4.75 million
2019-20: 5.25 million
2020-21: 6 million
2021-22: 6.75 million

Something like that would come in at just a hair under 5 million per year. I originally thought Palmieri would be getting over 5 million AAV, but I think just around there will be reasonable. Really depends on the salary of that bridge deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad