Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Dougie Hamilton signs with the Devils (7 years, $9M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Also remember the Canes saw their D w/o Hamilton 2 years ago when he broke a leg. We lost some ground (No one would say otherwise)But we weren't the tire fire like some would have you beleive.
I hope Hamilton has a great game every game he doesn't face the 'Canes.. He's a likeable shirtless guy..
I think it's easier to be w/o him this way then him breaking a leg midseason.
Devils enjoy your new toy.. and Don't break him.

Nah, we're just stupid. Clearly Devils fans are better informed than we are despite us watching 3 years of the guy and them watching him 5 or 6 times. LOL, what an absurd thread this is.

Reactions: Tryamw

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
saying Dougie is a #2/3 is so hilariously wrong I can't even take these people seriously.

That would mean you basically don't even think he is a top pairing D. I would love to hear the ~60+ DMen who are better than Dougie Hamilton in the NHL

As we saw from one poster's list, you can't even name 20.

Reactions: HyperX

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Also, if Dougie went to a team like MTL, TOR, or NYR this board would be sucking him off at every opportunity but because he went to the Devils, he isn't that good and his contract stinks.

Have you guys been paying attention to the deals (inferior) DMen have gotten this summer, or.....? And thats WITHOUT those guys hitting the open market.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm not into making lists, I don't have time for all that nonsense.

All I'm saying is that ideally he is not a #1, and if you're depending on him to be a #1, you're going to be disappointed.

I appreciate the passion you and others have for your team and all that, I really do. But you all are throwing around terms like "dishonest" and "hilariously wrong" and you're so hell-bent on being adversarial about this that you're losing perspective.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not into making lists, I don't have time for all that nonsense.

All I'm saying is that ideally he is not a #1, and if you're depending on him to be a #1, you're going to be disappointed.

I appreciate the passion you and others have for your team and all that, I really do. But you all are throwing around terms like "dishonest" and "hilariously wrong" and you're so hell-bent on being adversarial about this that you're losing perspective.

of course you don't lol

You're making a claim that Hamilton is a "#2/#3" DMan. I asked you to back up that claim by listing even TWENTY better DMen, and you cannot do it.

Just because he played with other good DMen doesn't mean that he also is not a good DMan. Your claim is moronic.

Reactions: HyperX

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I will admit that its funny seeing people say Slavin is better than Hamilton.

not that it cant be true, but its a lot to do with recency bias that the guy whos never broken 36 points is somehow viewed as clearly better than a guy with many 40+ seasons who also has only one single season as a negative player
I like Dougie and wanted to keep him, but did you really just evaluate defenseman based on points and +/-?

Reactions: Tryamw

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I didn't make a list because A) I don't care. B) I'm lazy. and C) I'm not getting sucked into some idiotic list game when these lists by their very nature are completely subjective.

and now it's "moronic"

sigh.

What a sad clown show this is. It's a shame you can't just listen to what we're saying instead of being so quick to anger.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
can i just say i really, sincerely appreciate all the canes fans who are so concerned about us being disappointed? it's very sweet of you guys, i'm actually getting a little teared up.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I didn't make a list because A) I don't care. B) I'm lazy. and C) I'm not getting sucked into some idiotic list game when these lists by their very nature are completely subjective.

and now it's "moronic"

sigh.

What a sad clown show this is. It's a shame you can't just listen to what we're saying instead of being so quick to anger.

You said that Dougie is a #2/#3, which implies there are 30-60 better DMen in the league. Yes, that is moronic....no other way to slice it, really.

Thankfully many of us don’t care about you at all, so you don’t need to tear up.

could have fooled us...tons of ya'll won't stop bumping this thread from a month ago

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
could have fooled us...tons of ya'll won't stop bumping this thread from a month ago

From August 1 until Monday, this thread was dormant until a poster named captaincally (not a canes fan, assuming a Rangers fan) bumped it. Immediately, a devils fan responded. So it’s not a Canes fan that brought it back to life. ;)

but now that it’s active, what’s wrong with fans contributing?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
From August 1 until Monday, this thread was dormant until a poster named captaincally (not a canes fan, assuming a Rangers fan) bumped it. Immediately, a devils fan responded. So it’s not a Canes fan that brought it back to life. ;)

but now that it’s active, what’s wrong with fans contributing?
God forbid we actually ...discuss things... on a message board. The horror :scared:

Anyway, I hardly think robo is trying to disparage Hamilton, he's just trying to describe Dougie's usage over his career with the Canes. He was used as our #2/3 defenseman at even strength, with a f***ton of powerplay time, and a fair amount of time on the penalty kill during the latter two years.

He's elite offensively, great in transition, and fairly average while defending in his own zone (which is fine, he doesn't really need to be a top five defender, because when he's at his best, he'll be doing dirty things to the enemy team in their zone).

The Hurricanes are a worse team today for losing him (although it seems have been necessary for our long term plans, getting Svech and Necas extended, as well as hopefully re-signing Aho/Teravainen/Pesce/Slavin would have been much more difficult with Dougie taking up $9 million in cap space)

The Devils are a better team for having signed him, which is annoying because they're also in the Metro, and Dougie will use that ex-team mojo to score every single game he plays against us for the next 7 years.

Reactions: Tryamw and Chrispy

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I like Dougie and wanted to keep him, but did you really just evaluate defenseman based on points and +/-?
Those are two of the many ways to compare NHL players, yes

considering they played for the exact same team its applicable. But Im sure you're here to try and entirely discredit me for using a stat provided by the NHL, right?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Those are two of the many ways to compare NHL players, yes

considering they played for the exact same team its applicable. But Im sure you're here to try and entirely discredit me for using a stat provided by the NHL, right?
No need for me to do that.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
No need for me to do that.
Could you explain why +/- doesnt have application when discussing two players on the same pair over a 2-3 year sample?

I mean Im no statistician but Im pretty sure thats when +/- is most applicable and actually has value. Sure it has some slight deficiencies, but lets not pretend like its useless just because it doesnt suit your side of the argument

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Could you explain why +/- doesnt have application when discussing two players on the same pair over a 2-3 year sample?

I mean Im no statistician but Im pretty sure thats when +/- is most applicable and actually has value. Sure it has some slight deficiencies, but lets not pretend like its useless just because it doesnt suit your side of the argument

Over the past 2 seasons where Hamilton and Slavin have been paired together, Hamilton is +50 and Slavin is + 52. Please explain to me how +/- is applicable when comparing two players on the same pair When concluding one player is better than the other.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Over the past 2 seasons where Hamilton and Slavin have been paired together, Hamilton is +50 and Slavin is + 52. Please explain to me how +/- is applicable when comparing two players on the same pair When concluding one player is better than the other.
Its meant to extrapolate into other instances of Hamilton playing with other defenseman. Its not directly comparing them in those two years, but instead giving a foundation of what to expect.

Hamilton and Slavin played very well together. Yet Slavin had a single season with similar +/- away from Hamilton, and the same goes for Hamilton away from Slavin. This would show us that Hamilton's offense helped raise Slavin's +/-, while Slavin's defense helped raise Hamilton's +/-

I was never arguing for Hamilton over Slavin. I was arguing against Slavin being as much better as the recent opinions around here state; Slavin for two season prior was a 0 +/-, and Hamilton a +1 +/-.

so really what Im trying to disprove is this idea that Slavin is inherently better. The offensive side of the game matters, even though theyre defenseman

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I predict Devils fans will be disappointed if they are expecting an all-situations number 1 guy.

Hamilton is an absolutely top flight luxury item. Think Phil Kessel at his best. If he's your primary guy, you're going nowhere. If there is good support and the right fit, he's a fantastic contributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad