Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Dougie Hamilton signs with the Devils (7 years, $9M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Lean

Aug 10, 2021
There are only about 20 defenseman in the league making $7M+. Most of them are on bloated late-career deals... only 7 of those players are under 30, Hamilton being one of those.

Hedman and Weber come in below $8M. That is not #2 money.

I really think the Canes would have gone to $9M for Slavin if they had to. It would have been painful because he is also not that all-purpose #1 that delivers in every aspect of the game. But losing him would absolutely gut the core of the defense. Losing Hamilton hurts, but not like that.
Sure bud, doesn't hurt at all. Who is replacing those points on the backend?

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I will admit that its funny seeing people say Slavin is better than Hamilton.

not that it cant be true, but its a lot to do with recency bias that the guy whos never broken 36 points is somehow viewed as clearly better than a guy with many 40+ seasons who also has only one single season as a negative player

If you're basing the effectiveness of a defenseman solely based on point totals, then this is going to be a long 7 years for you. There are more aspects of being a good defenseman besides scoring. I don't want to make this a who's better because I will never be convinced that Hamilton's a better defenseman, but if you want to look at scoring, who's scored more points and played more minutes in the playoffs between Slavin and Hamilton during their time on the team? I'll wait for your answer and keep in mind Slavin doesn't play on the pp.

#3 D man !? Ok what you have said up to that point and after that has been to totally discredited .
In what world is Hamilton a #3 ? So you are sayig on a team , there would be two D that are better than him and you would deploy for more icetime that someone who is consistently in the top 10 for Norris voting. Garbage take.

This actually happened, it's not a take. Hamilton was consistently 3rd in minutes played on our team in the playoffs behind Slavin and Pesce. It is simply because they are actually better at defense, and Rod clearly felt they were better to match up against other team's top pairings.

Oh boy, if 9 mil is too much for Hamilton how are you feeling about Darnell Nurse? Noticed he wasn't on your list of 20 dmen better than Dougie.

So by your accounts, the devils had a bad offseason (PKs 9 mil comes off the books after this year but ya know, awful contract for Dougie)... by that measure, the oilers have been found dead in Miami apartment.

Yes, the Nurse signing was a huge overpayment as well. I'll put it this way, the only dman that got signed to a $9 million contract that I feel actually deserves it is Makar, and no, I wouldn't definitively want Nurse over Hamilton.

Sure, the Devils had a good offseason this year. No one's disputing that. What we're saying is this is going to be costly down the road. Most big named UFA acquisitions in the offseason don't pan out throughout the span of the contract, and this will probably be one of them.

This is an extremely dishonest take from you as a Carolina fan

a #2/3? Hamilton only has the highest PPG for a Hurricanes defenseman in their history. Also the most Norris votes ever in their history.

Casual second pair production, I guess :sarcasm:

Again, this is not a debate on point production. Slavin and Pesce are better at actually playing defense than Hamilton, which should be the 1st criteria for judging a defenseman. They were both huge + players even when Carolina was a lottery team.

I see way more buthurt fans of other organizations in here than "boastful" Devils fans. Trust me buddy, we don't have much to boast about yet. (yes, you are one of the other butthurt fans)

Not butthurt my boy, far far from it. Yes, Carolina is a better team with Hamilton on it than not, and yes in the ideal world we would still like to have him here, but the reality is our front office wasn't willing to shell out #1 type money on a guy that is 2/3 down our depth chart. If you bothered to look at my other posts, you would see that even though he's on a division rival, I sincerely wish him the best. All I have said from the jump is that NJ fans should really temper the expectations of what they're going to get.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
#3 D man !? Ok what you have said up to that point and after that has been to totally discredited .
In what world is Hamilton a #3 ? So you are sayig on a team , there would be two D that are better than him and you would deploy for more icetime that someone who is consistently in the top 10 for Norris voting. Garbage take.

Funny you mention ATOI.

You should go look at the Canes team stats from last year. See who ended up third in ATOI among defenseman.

The answer, apparently, is going to surprise you.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I will admit that its funny seeing people say Slavin is better than Hamilton.

not that it cant be true, but its a lot to do with recency bias that the guy whos never broken 36 points is somehow viewed as clearly better than a guy with many 40+ seasons who also has only one single season as a negative player

LOL

You should go back and read the Canes board for the last 3 years. And report back, please.

P.S. - Don't call me dishonest. That's some horse shit.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Why 4? Hamilton is just 28 and showing no signs of slowing down yet. I think he'll be fine for the duration (or most of) of the 7 year contract.
Partly since I expect you'll have some young guys you'd prefer to reallocate that money to but /shrug.. I could be wrong.. Not going to be the first time

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
That is a god awful contract.
OK cool post.
I like the contract and I am glad we got Hamilton and i dont know what the Canes are thinking when they offer KK 6.1 million yet people say Hamilton contract is garbage...
Lose Hamilton and replace with KK and DeAngelo. Interesting thought process

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
OK cool post.
I like the contract and I am glad we got Hamilton and i dont know what the Canes are thinking when they offer KK 6.1 million yet people say Hamilton contract is garbage...

DeAngelo puts up as many points at 1/9th the cost and KK is a 1 year contract, thought process wasn't that hard. Although I do get why a NJ fan needs to rationalize the ridiculous overpayment.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There are only about 20 defenseman in the league making $7M+. Most of them are on bloated late-career deals... only 7 of those players are under 30, Hamilton being one of those.

Hedman and Weber come in below $8M. That is not #2 money.

I really think the Canes would have gone to $9M for Slavin if they had to. It would have been painful because he is also not that all-purpose #1 that delivers in every aspect of the game. But losing him would absolutely gut the core of the defense. Losing Hamilton hurts, but not like that.

Hedman signed his contract five years ago and Weber signed his nine years ago.

not sure what they have to do with an unrestricted free agent signing a contract in 2021.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
DeAngelo puts up as many points at 1/9th the cost and KK is a 1 year contract, thought process wasn't that hard. Although I do get why a NJ fan needs to rationalize the ridiculous overpayment.

It's not just NJ fans, many teams would've paid that price for him

Also, DeAngelo, oh please

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's not just NJ fans, many teams would've paid that price for him

Also, DeAngelo, oh please

Ah yes, that's why he choose to go New Jersey in the prime of his career, because he had tons of offers.

lol DeAngelo in his last full season put up more points than Hamilton ever has. 9m though, goes seemlessly with a team paying PK Subban 9m also. Just when they're about to get out of one bad contract they sign another for 7 years.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Ah yes, that's why he choose to go New Jersey in the prime of his career, because he had tons of offers.

lol DeAngelo in his last full season put up more points than Hamilton ever has. 9m though, goes seemlessly with a team paying PK Subban 9m+ also.
Do you really believe the biggest free agent of the summer only had one offer?

He might have only had one destination in mind, but there’s zero chance NJ was the only offer he had on the table.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016

lol DeAngelo in his last full season put up more points than Hamilton ever has. 9m though, goes seemlessly with a team paying PK Subban 9m also. Just when they're about to get out of one bad contract they sign another for 7 years.

New Jersey have a bright futur. No one wanted a free DeAngelo . What's your point?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
OK cool post.
If you cant figure out the differences between the situations...

Hamilton will likely be worth it the first few years but unlikely on the back half, and it wouldve limited the Canes moving forward. I was one who wanted to keep Dougie, btw. JK isnt going to be a 6 mill player moving forward unless he blows up. It's a one year offer. They overpay this year to make it hard to match and hope to sign him to a reasonable extension. It's one season of "garbage" compared to Dougie's.

And you know.....JK is only 21 to Dougie's 28.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
LOL

You should go back and read the Canes board for the last 3 years. And report back, please.

P.S. - Don't call me dishonest. That's some horse shit.
I mean.. I dont have to go back anywhere, you straight up said 'hes a 2/3'

If thats your take on Hamilton then the Hurricanes have either) never had a #1D or youre being dishonest. You didnt even quote the correct post.. so really youre all over the place

And you dont get to go 'oh oh I said hes a 2/3 not just a 3' when people try to question your logic. Dont type things if you dont truly believe them (aka being dishonest)

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Talking from a MTL's pow, his name was discussed quite a lot in the media. Quick 5 seconds search brought up Philly as well

Philly acquired RR from Buffalo and Ellis from NSH before the free agency even started, which put them out of the running. I heard rumblings of MTL, but their names never came up as far as actually offering a contract, as $9 million would’ve put them in cap hell.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Also remember the Canes saw their D w/o Hamilton 2 years ago when he broke a leg. We lost some ground (No one would say otherwise)But we weren't the tire fire like some would have you beleive.
I hope Hamilton has a great game every game he doesn't face the 'Canes.. He's a likeable shirtless guy..
I think it's easier to be w/o him this way then him breaking a leg midseason.
Devils enjoy your new toy.. and Don't break him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad