Value of: NJ players

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Let’s just hope that if Fitzgerald decides to move Palmieri he does a better job in recovering assets than Shero did with Hall. The Devils got an arguably better return for Coleman.
Except they didn't. Coleman came on a very friendly contract plus had another year. Hall was UFA. Plus Mercer with the pick looks to be a steal. This is just silly.

Reactions: Smitty426

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If Colorado was interested in Lehkonen for forward depth, we could swing a 3-way deal.

Avs get Lehkonen @1.6M*
Habs get Vatanen @1.2M*
NJ get COL 2022 4th rd. pick

Not sure Fitz would move an everyday defenseman for a 4th round pick. He moved Simmonds for a 5th (conditions not met for a 4th) last season but that's because Simmonds asked to be moved to a contender. I don't believe he moved anyone else for less than a 3rd.

Reactions: Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If Colorado was interested in Lehkonen for forward depth, we could swing a 3-way deal.

Avs get Lehkonen @1.6M*
Habs get Vatanen @1.2M*
NJ get COL 2022 4th rd. pick
Why would NJ do this? If Montreal wants Vatanen why bring Colorado into it for a fourth round pick a year from now? That makes zero sense.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Not sure Fitz would move an everyday defenseman for a 4th round pick. He moved Simmonds for a 5th (conditions not met for a 4th) last season but that's because Simmonds asked to be moved to a contender. I don't believe he moved anyone else for less than a 3rd.

Why would NJ do this? If Montreal wants Vatanen why bring Colorado into it for a fourth round pick a year from now? That makes zero sense.

Not really worth it burning one of our retentions on a solid middle defenseman for only a 4th a year from now tbh

What do expect for Vatanen? Let's say with the retention, would a 3rd this year do it?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
What do expect for Vatanen? Let's say with the retention, would a 3rd this year do it?

Honestly it's hard to say. I wouldn't be surprised if Fitz tries to get a 3rd that can go to a 2nd based on games played and team success in the playoffs, that's what he did with Vatanen last season, but it would be determined by the market.

My guess is that if the deadline arrived and a 3rd was the best offer on the table, Fitz would take it.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
With retention a 3rd would probably do it but i world ask for a 3rd this year and a 5th next year because i think he’s worth more than a 3rd but less than a 2nd

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Miles Wood @ 25% ret
For
Leafs 1st & Mikhail Abramov/Topi Niemela

devils wouldn't accept this. not because it isn't good for us, but because it's morally unconscionable to go around fleecing a team from canada every 5 years

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
For Palmieri: 1st round pick OR 2nd + a B level prospect

For Kulikov: 2nd OR 3rd

For Murray: a 3rd

For Vatanen: a 4th

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Wondering what the following players are worth at the deadline, both individually or as a package.
  • Travis Zajac
  • Miles Wood
  • Sami Vatanen
  • Scott Wedgewood

I'm particularly looking at it from Colorado's perspective, as the four of the players above would basically tick off all of Colorado's needs big and small, including a 3C, backup goalie, 3rd pairing RHD (if Erik Johnson is out for the season), and some extra size and physicality in the bottom 6.

Fwiw Colorado had a scout at the NJ/Pittsburgh on Sunday, and NJ had a scout at the recent Colorado/Minnesota games.

Zajac has gone from "too old/too slow" blah, blah, blah to the team's de facto top center and would be an ideal player to complement the Avalanche's forward group. He also has a NMC and the legacy of being a career Devil (though the prospect of winning a Cup could encourage him to waive that).

Wood would also fit well with Colorado (adding speed and hardness to the lineup). He has also become a "veteran" presence on a team of mostly first and second year players - despite just turning 25.

Vatanen has played better recently but for what he does the Avalanche have better options - and for what they need he is not big enough nor defensively-inclined. Murray, and prior to that Kulikov and Subban have done well in compensating for his defensive liabilities.

As for Wedgewood, he's done well in the backup role but not sure there aren't more experienced options available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Dubas would never. Assuming there are good offers for Wood out there, I hope Fitz considers them. I'm not sure if his performance this year is sustainable, and there are a lot of young forwards ready to slide into a middle six role.
If Wood is dealt, we then hold onto Bastian or McLeod, get a pick and a player

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Wondering what the following players are worth at the deadline, both individually or as a package.
  • Travis Zajac
  • Miles Wood
  • Sami Vatanen
  • Scott Wedgewood

I'm particularly looking at it from Colorado's perspective, as the four of the players above would basically tick off all of Colorado's needs big and small, including a 3C, backup goalie, 3rd pairing RHD (if Erik Johnson is out for the season), and some extra size and physicality in the bottom 6.

Fwiw Colorado had a scout at the NJ/Pittsburgh on Sunday, and NJ had a scout at the recent Colorado/Minnesota games.

Going back to the original premise of the thread.

Zajac - I don't see him waiving his no-trade clause to go to Colorado - I really think the only team that might have a chance to have him waive is the Islanders. There is a part of me that wonders if he is planning to hang them up after this season - his much improved play of late notwithstanding.

Wood - there is a practical problem with trading Wood that goes beyond the fact of what a good fit he has been in Ruff's system. The Devils as things stand are caught very short in terms of meeting the forward exposure requirements for the expansion draft. If nothing changes on that front they would have to expose two of Zacha/Wood/Johnsson (the latter of course is the easiest of the three). Trade Wood away and suddenly that turns into Zacha and Johnsson. It's a hidden part of a lot of what will go on with the trade deadline (seemingly random guys thrown into trades - mainly because they are already signed for next year and can meet exposure requirements). I can see the demand being close to what was asked for Coleman (not quite so high perhaps but not far off).

Vatanen - I don't think Vatanen has quite the stock he had last year (would love for us to pull another absolutely fleecing again). But that said I think a 3rd is a plausible return. I think Murray and especially Kulikov will have more appeal on the trade market tbh. I think it's reasonable to expect 2 of those 3 to get dealt and one kept along - can't have it be a pure rookie show on the backline can we?

Wedgewood. Wedgewood is an interesting case. Serviceable backups - which he certainly is - always seem to have a bit of a market and especially in a year where you really want to have 3 goalies around that much more. I think we're talking 5th/6th round territory - I would expect it be better return than we got for Kinkaid - frankly because I was amazed we got ANYTHING for Kinkaid.

As far as other guys - I do think Gusev gets moved at half retention for a relatively meager return - probably along the lines of what we got for Simmonds.

I can see us moving Butcher (I don't think it's tenable to move Subban with that contact - probably next year but I do think he'll be the defenseman we use to satisfy the expansion requirements). Not sure what kind of return we could get for Butcher since he's basically not played at all - like what a 4th rounder maybe? I can see the Devils exposing him instead of Subban - in spite of the fan ire - if Ruff perceives him as being important to the locker room.

I don't see any of the other players really being available unless we pull off the rare hockey trade (vs dump trade) at the deadline. Every so often one of those happens. But who knows.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Zajac - I don't see him waiving his no-trade clause to go to Colorado - I really think the only team that might have a chance to have him waive is the Islanders. There is a part of me that wonders if he is planning to hang them up after this season - his much improved play of late notwithstanding.

Wood - there is a practical problem with trading Wood that goes beyond the fact of what a good fit he has been in Ruff's system. The Devils as things stand are caught very short in terms of meeting the forward exposure requirements for the expansion draft. If nothing changes on that front they would have to expose two of Zacha/Wood/Johnsson (the latter of course is the easiest of the three). Trade Wood away and suddenly that turns into Zacha and Johnsson. It's a hidden part of a lot of what will go on with the trade deadline (seemingly random guys thrown into trades - mainly because they are already signed for next year and can meet exposure requirements). I can see the demand being close to what was asked for Coleman (not quite so high perhaps but not far off).

Vatanen - I don't think Vatanen has quite the stock he had last year (would love for us to pull another absolutely fleecing again). But that said I think a 3rd is a plausible return. I think Murray and especially Kulikov will have more appeal on the trade market tbh. I think it's reasonable to expect 2 of those 3 to get dealt and one kept along - can't have it be a pure rookie show on the backline can we?

Wedgewood. Wedgewood is an interesting case. Serviceable backups - which he certainly is - always seem to have a bit of a market and especially in a year where you really want to have 3 goalies around that much more. I think we're talking 5th/6th round territory - I would expect it be better return than we got for Kinkaid - frankly because I was amazed we got ANYTHING for Kinkaid.

As far as other guys - I do think Gusev gets moved at half retention for a relatively meager return - probably along the lines of what we got for Simmonds.

I can see us moving Butcher (I don't think it's tenable to move Subban with that contact - probably next year but I do think he'll be the defenseman we use to satisfy the expansion requirements). Not sure what kind of return we could get for Butcher since he's basically not played at all - like what a 4th rounder maybe? I can see the Devils exposing him instead of Subban - in spite of the fan ire - if Ruff perceives him as being important to the locker room.

I don't see any of the other players really being available unless we pull off the rare hockey trade (vs dump trade) at the deadline. Every so often one of those happens. But who knows.
Thanks for your response.

Regarding the part in bold, Avs can facillitate that by sendind Compher back so that you have another forward to expose who meets the requirements.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space

Zajac would 100% waive for winnipeg as well

Reactions: Smitty426

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I think with the great play of Ryan Murray lately and with Nashville waiving on not trading Ekholm, then Murray could become the most sort after LHD at the deadline.

I think he returns a 2nd round pick mimimum for NJ. And NJ can retain 50% of his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad