Value of: NJ players

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Wondering what the following players are worth at the deadline, both individually or as a package.
  • Travis Zajac
  • Miles Wood
  • Sami Vatanen
  • Scott Wedgewood

I'm particularly looking at it from Colorado's perspective, as the four of the players above would basically tick off all of Colorado's needs big and small, including a 3C, backup goalie, 3rd pairing RHD (if Erik Johnson is out for the season), and some extra size and physicality in the bottom 6.

Fwiw Colorado had a scout at the NJ/Pittsburgh on Sunday, and NJ had a scout at the recent Colorado/Minnesota games.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
How close would this be?

Zajac (50% retained) + Wood + Vatanen + Wedgewood for COL 2021 1st + Compher + prospect + pick/prospect

Reactions: Getz2noone

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders could use Palmerri, Zajac and Vatanen. I would offer 1st, Bellows, Hickey and Komarov(last 2 cap dumps)

Reactions: goal1228

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
How close would this be?

Zajac (50% retained) + Wood + Vatanen + Wedgewood for COL 2021 1st + Compher + prospect + pick/prospect
When was the last time a contender added four players from one non contender at the deadline? I'm not throwing mud here, I just don't recall a deal like this ever happening. The closest thing to this I can think of this kind of thing was the 94 Rangers winding up with half of Edmonton on their team and even then it took about three years to get them all. Then again I don't get these theoretical value of threads. It seems to not matter if the deal makes sense so much as the scales balance.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
When was the last time a contender added four players from one non contender at the deadline? I'm not throwing mud here, I just don't recall a deal like this ever happening. The closest thing to this I can think of this kind of thing was the 94 Rangers winding up with half of Edmonton on their team and even then it took about three years to get them all. Then again I don't get these theoretical value of threads. It seems to not matter if the deal makes sense so much as the scales balance.
The trade doesn't necessarily need to be a package deal. I'm also curious what NJ fans think the value of each of those players would be in isolation.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It's a small sample size, but in 10 starts this season Wedgewood hass decent stats for a backup and might be a solid addition with only a $700k caphit.
  • 0.918 sv% (20th among goalies with 600+ minutes played)
  • 2.59 GAA (22nd)
  • 3.15 GSAA (22nd)
  • 0853 HDSV% (6th)

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Damn going all in lol
This year is the Avs best chance at a cup, before Makar/Landeskog/Grubauer get raises, so Sakic should be open to making a serious push.

Even though the team is ticking along nicely right now (7-0-1 in the last 8), it wasn't that long ago that a few injuries had the team struggling a bit, and a trade like the one suggested above Colorado's lineup would be as complete as any in the league, with depth at every position.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ------ Kadri -------- Saad
Wood ------------ Zajac ------- Donskoi
Nichuskin --------- Jost --------- Calvert
(Bellemare, O'Connor)

Toews --- Makar
Byram --- Girard
Graves --- Vatanen
(MacDonald, Timmins, Johnson LTIR)

Grubauer
Wedgewood
(Johansson, Francouz LTIR)

Reactions: Getz2noone

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Wedgewood was worthless before the season but he has been surprisingly great for us. You could have dell for free

Most devils fans don’t want to trade wood. His value is very high right now and could probably return at the very least a first on his own.

Zajac is probably not going to get traded but we think the islanders would give up a second for him or 3-5 round from any other team.

Vatanen is probably a 3-5 round pick also depending on if he can keep improving his play and up his value which has been much better as of late.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Wood likely would take an overpay.

Zajac would have to waive, which I'm not sure on. There may be a couple of teams he'd do that for (NYI?), but I can't even guarantee that.

Vats probably doesn't take more than a late round pick at this point. Given the value of Kulikov and Murray in a trade market (both likely to have better value), the team may even keep Vats around just to have some sort of competent warm bodies around.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
How close would this be?

Islanders could use Palmerri, Zajac and Vatanen. I would offer 1st, Bellows, Hickey and Komarov(last 2 cap dumps)

Wood probably not getting moved for anything other than overpayment. May not be worth the return from your side, but he has value we don't have on this team.
Zajac is on a tear right now (51% FOs, playing aginast top players, on pace for about .5 ppg) I think his value is trending up as a UFA
I think Dell is more likely moved at this point but if the price were right Wedge could be had
Avs first is really a high second IMO.
I like Compher, but I think NJ needs a sniper now player think Laine-lite

Palms and Zajac seems like an easy one for Isles, adding Vats seems like a Lou thing. If we retained on the first two with 50% retention, keep the 1st, I'd like to work out getting Wilde (has been the ask among Devs posters on the web) and Bellows. Leo and/or Hickey is not an issue for me for cap. Picks are good but jersey needs to start acquiring ready to go players rather than develop more IMO

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Palms and Zajac seems like an easy one for Isles, adding Vats seems like a Lou thing. If we retained on the first two with 50% retention, keep the 1st, I'd like to work out getting Wilde (has been the ask among Devs posters on the web) and Bellows. Leo and/or Hickey is not an issue for me for cap. Picks are good but jersey needs to start acquiring ready to go players rather than develop more IMO

I would definitely replace Wilde with either the 1st or Bellows, given Lee's injury aslong as you guys took the 2 players I added for cap reason I believe their would be 0 need for retention(although it might be a case we might need like 10-25% on one of the 2, I haven't crunched the numbers)

From an Islander POV it solves many needs and problems in 1 trade(including freeing up capspace for next season)

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I would definitely replace Wilde with either the 1st or Bellows, given Lee's injury aslong as you guys took the 2 players I added for cap reason I believe their would be 0 need for retention(although it might be a case we might need like 10-25% on one of the 2, I haven't crunched the numbers)

From an Islander POV it solves many needs and problems in 1 trade(including freeing up capspace for next season)
That allows us to retain on our other UFAs. Leo has a NTC clause though, how is he with lifting it? I assumed he woudl like to stay even at reduced playing time

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
That allows us to retain on our other UFAs. Leo has a NTC clause though, how is he with lifting it? I assumed he woudl like to stay even at reduced playing time

I can't speak for Leo, but he seems like the kind fo guy who wouldn't make a stink out of it, especially considering moving from Long Island to Newark isn't a life changing move

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Wedgewood was worthless before the season but he has been surprisingly great for us. You could have dell for free

Most devils fans don’t want to trade wood. His value is very high right now and could probably return at the very least a first on his own.

Zajac is probably not going to get traded but we think the islanders would give up a second for him or 3-5 round from any other team.

Vatanen is probably a 3-5 round pick also depending on if he can keep improving his play and up his value which has been much better as of late.

Wood likely would take an overpay.

Zajac would have to waive, which I'm not sure on. There may be a couple of teams he'd do that for (NYI?), but I can't even guarantee that.

Vats probably doesn't take more than a late round pick at this point. Given the value of Kulikov and Murray in a trade market (both likely to have better value), the team may even keep Vats around just to have some sort of competent warm bodies around.

Wood probably not getting moved for anything other than overpayment. May not be worth the return from your side, but he has value we don't have on this team.
Zajac is on a tear right now (51% FOs, playing aginast top players, on pace for about .5 ppg) I think his value is trending up as a UFA
I think Dell is more likely moved at this point but if the price were right Wedge could be had
Avs first is really a high second IMO.
I like Compher, but I think NJ needs a sniper now player think Laine-lite

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Collating the approximate values you guys have mentioned:
  • Wood: 1st
  • Zajac: 2nd-5th
  • Vatanen: 4th-6th
  • Wedgewood: 4th? (not sure what "the price were right" is)
So combined, 1st + 2nd-5th + 4th-6th + 4th

Seems to me that the earlier suggestion I made (copied below) isn't too far off, though exact value can vary depending on the prospect/pick(s) going back.

In that offer you've got a 1st to cover Wood's value; a couple of picks/prospects to cover the value of the other 3 players; along with a youngish (25) forward in Compher which fits with the last comment about needing ready-to-go players. Colorado have a pretty deep and varied prospect pool to choose from too, so finding a fit shouldn't be too difficult. For instance, if you want a sniper with an elite shot as @Smitty426 mentioned then Beaucage could be a good fit. Guys like Kaut/Bowers/Timmins could also potentially be included.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
How close would this be?

Objectively, the value isn't terrible, but we would be expecting a premium for Wood, so this is a no-go. I have no desire to trade him, so it'd take something very compelling a la Coleman (who Fitzgerald repeatedly denied to Brisebois before getting presented with the Foote+1st package).

You can have Vatanen + Wedgewood for a 3rd + 5th. I'd love to get Timmins somehow, but that probably gets us back into the Wood conversation.

Reactions: Richard88

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I forgot to touch on Zajac. It was reported last year that Fitzgerald approached him about waiving his no-trade, and Zajac said that he "wanted to be here."

Now, does that dynamic change this year, now that his contract is expiring? (i.e., will only spend ~4 months away from his family instead of 1 year + ~4 months). I'm not sure, but that history muddies the waters a bit.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Objectively, the value isn't terrible, but we would be expecting a premium for Wood, so this is a no-go. I have no desire to trade him, so it'd take something very compelling a la Coleman (who Fitzgerald repeatedly denied to Brisebois before getting presented with the Foote+1st package).

You can have Vatanen + Wedgewood for a 3rd + 5th. I'd love to get Timmins somehow, but that probably gets us back into the Wood conversation.
I forgot to touch on Zajac. It was reported last year that Fitzgerald approached him about waiving his no-trade, and Zajac said that he "wanted to be here."

Now, does that dynamic change this year, now that his contract is expiring? (i.e., will only spend ~4 months away from his family instead of 1 year + ~4 months). I'm not sure, but that history muddies the waters a bit.
Thanks for your feedback.

Coleman is a better player and his caphit was ~$1m lower, not to mention that there was no risk of the team acquiring him losing him in expansion (as would probably be the case with Wood/Colorado), so it seems kinda much to expect a 1st + Foote sort of package for him. I could perhaps understand a 1st, or maybe even 1st + lesser prospect though.

Fwiw I left the "prospect + pick/prospect" part of my suggestion a bit open-ended on purpose, and would be open to discussing Timmins as the main prospect involved if that's what's needed to get it over the line. With that in mind, would something like the trade below work? Feel free to suggest value of the last pick/prospect if you think it's needed in the trade.

Zajac (50% retained) + Wood + Vatanen + Wedgewood for COL 2021 1st + Compher + Timmins + pick/prospect?​

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for your feedback.

Coleman is a better player and his caphit was ~$1m lower, not to mention that there was no risk of the team acquiring him losing him in expansion (as would probably be the case with Wood/Colorado), so it seems kinda much to expect a 1st + Foote sort of package for him. I could perhaps understand a 1st, or maybe even 1st + lesser prospect though.

Not *expecting* that - just stating what it would take for us to move him, and then drawing an obvious analogy. We had no desire to trade Coleman last year (widely reported), but then caved when presented with a package that couldn't be turned down. It's the same dynamic here with Wood.

I understand the expansion concerns, but I respectfully have to deem that a "you" problem. If Colorado feels it can't overpay for Wood due to the ED, then that might be all she wrote. The rebuilding Devils just can't be in the business of trading building-block players at "face value." It stung enough to lose Coleman.

Fwiw I left the "prospect + pick/prospect" part of my suggestion a bit open-ended on purpose, and would be open to discussing Timmins as the main prospect involved if that's what's needed to get it over the line. With that in mind, would something like the trade below work? Feel free to suggest value of the last pick/prospect if you think it's needed in the trade.

Zajac (50% retained) + Wood + Vatanen + Wedgewood for COL 2021 1st + Compher + Timmins + pick/prospect?​

I know he's in there for salary concerns, but Compher doesn't do much for us. We already have Johnsson signed at $3.4M for the next 2 years, and we have a lot of bottom-6 prospects that have (1) impressed this year, or (2) haven't even played yet due to the numbers game. Kuokkanen and Sharangovich have been excellent. Maltsev has impressed. McLeod and Bastian have been decent. We haven't even seen Nolan Foote yet, and Boqvist only got a couple games in January.

For argument's sake, though, Wood + Vatanen + Wedge for COL 2021 1st + Timmins + COL 2022 3rd would be a deal that would probably split Devils fans right down the middle with yes/no.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Not *expecting* that - just stating what it would take for us to move him, and then drawing an obvious analogy. We had no desire to trade Coleman last year (widely reported), but then caved when presented with a package that couldn't be turned down. It's the same dynamic here with Wood.

I understand the expansion concerns, but I respectfully have to deem that a "you" problem. If Colorado feels it can't overpay for Wood due to the ED, then that might be all she wrote. The rebuilding Devils just can't be in the business of trading building-block players at "face value." It stung enough to lose Coleman.

I know he's in there for salary concerns, but Compher doesn't do much for us. We already have Johnsson signed at $3.4M for the next 2 years, and we have a lot of bottom-6 prospects that have (1) impressed this year, or (2) haven't even played yet due to the numbers game. Kuokkanen and Sharangovich have been excellent. Maltsev has impressed. McLeod and Bastian have been decent. We haven't even seen Nolan Foote yet, and Boqvist only got a couple games in January.

For argument's sake, though, Wood + Vatanen + Wedge for COL 2021 1st + Timmins + COL 2022 3rd would be a deal that would probably split Devils fans right down the middle with yes/no.
Fair enough on the expansion draft point. I mentioned that more as a point for why Colorado might have a price limit rather than to say that Wood's value should be lowered.

Considering that you said that Vatanen + Wedgewood could be had for a 3rd + 5th it seems pretty expensive to trade 1st + Timmins here without Zajac involved. It's effectively 1st + Timmins for Wood, which I simply can't see Sakic doing. If Timmins is moved he needs to bring back a 3C at least.

Moreover, adding Wood's contract going into next season without moving a contract out has the potential of creating a serious cap problem this offseason, and Sakic isn't one to take risks like that.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Fair enough on the expansion draft point. I mentioned that more as a point for why Colorado might have a price limit rather than to say that Wood's value should be lowered.

Considering that you said that Vatanen + Wedgewood could be had for a 3rd + 5th it seems pretty expensive to trade 1st + Timmins here without Zajac involved. It's effectively 1st + Timmins for Wood, which I simply can't see Sakic doing. If Timmins is moved he needs to bring back a 3C at least.

Moreover, adding Wood's contract going into next season without moving a contract out has the potential of creating a serious cap problem this offseason, and Sakic isn't one to take risks like that.

It's expensive by design, for the reasons I said. I understand the disconnect here, though.

Vatanen + Wedge for a 3rd + 5th still stands.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

If Zajac were to waive his NTC for a team out of the Northeast, I'd assume that Colorado would be at or near the top of his list as they have the best odds of winning a Cup besides Tampa, which can't afford Zajac's cap hit. As you said, there's a big difference between waiving to go to a team for a few months versus a season and a half. Winnipeg (his hometown) would be another out of NE team he might consider waiving for, though I'm sure the 2-week quarantine is unappealing.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It may be an unpopular opinion here, but I think Fitz doesn't trade everyone away. I think Goose is cooked and probably one of Vatanen, Murray and Kulikov is gone but I think he keeps Palms and Zajac for sure... unless someone blows his hair back with an offer I can't see him peddling them for pennies on the dollar

Reactions: MakoSlade

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Would not trade Wood as other prospects come up and hopefully fill top six Wood could become lethal on the third line and power play....Wood just gives us a lot of what we don't have and Timmins I thought has suffered multiple head injuries not 100 percent sure maybe Av fans can chime in....

Reactions: MakoSlade

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4