Value of: NJ players

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
It may be an unpopular opinion here, but I think Fitz doesn't trade everyone away. I think Goose is cooked and probably one of Vatanen, Murray and Kulikov is gone but I think he keeps Palms and Zajac for sure... unless someone blows his hair back with an offer I can't see him peddling them for pennies on the dollar

I was thinking the same. Zajac wants to stay for sure so I expect a trade won't even be explored. Palmeiri I feel they have a good chance to resign. I can see Goose and a defenseman going, nothing too big. I doubt Wood gets traded.

The team is starting to compete again, it could be a bad message to give up too many players.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I was thinking the same. Zajac wants to stay for sure so I expect a trade won't even be explored. Palmeiri I feel they have a good chance to resign. I can see Goose and a defenseman going, nothing too big. I doubt Wood gets traded.

The team is starting to compete again, it could be a bad message to give up too many players.

I agree, I think the management feels like they're close so they won't want a complete fire sale

Reactions: MakoSlade

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
OP is missing players that could be moved:
Kulikov ( I would like to keep and resign vs late pick that is realistic to get)
Murray ( same as Kulikov )
Butcher

Id like to see Palmieri Zajac Butcher Gusev Dell or Wedgewood moved but keep Kulikov and Murray(both have been very good this year ,Murray had a rough stretch but playing well now) .

I do not wan tot move Wood as he is more important to the Devils than what a realistic return would be. If by some miracle he could get a Coleman return , then yea move him . However the chances of that return is slim to none.

Reactions: Puckclektr

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I really have no idea what I would want in a trade. We lost 9 of 10 and I was on the "trade everyone" wagon. Now we are 4-1-1 in the last 6 and Palmieri just scored... Zajac had a great game the other day... and now I want to keep everyone haha. I am thinking at the deadline Vatanen, Gusev, Zajac will be the vets made available. I think Palmieri stays in NJ. Zajac would have to waive and I would imagine he would only waive for a semi-close team... NYI/BOS/PHI/WSH or something.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I really have no idea what I would want in a trade. We lost 9 of 10 and I was on the "trade everyone" wagon. Now we are 4-1-1 in the last 6 and Palmieri just scored... Zajac had a great game the other day... and now I want to keep everyone haha. I am thinking at the deadline Vatanen, Gusev, Zajac will be the vets made available. I think Palmieri stays in NJ. Zajac would have to waive and I would imagine he would only waive for a semi-close team... NYI/BOS/PHI/WSH or something.
I can see him waive for the islanders for a third.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I tend to agree with you. NJ is seemingly turning a corner on its poor play and looking decent. Much better than two weeks ago. I could see the team simply hang onto Palms rather than settle for a meh offer. I think they'd take a second and a solid prospect but it probably has to be right hand shot forward prospect who has top six potential or a right hand shot defense prospect. If that doesn't materialize maybe they just keep him to help finish the year strong and see what develops in UFA. All things being equal, I think Palms stays in NJ if they make a completive offer. It's hard to see him getting a long term overpayment this offseason so I think NJ's chances of retaining him are good if that is what they want to do. Gusev and Vatanen would seem to be available as they almost certainly won't return next season. Even mid round picks get them, probably with retention, low round picks without retention. Zajac probably doesn't waive and finishes the season with NJ. The team has to start winning and competing they can't be dumping their expiring vets every season. It may be fun speculating on a message board but there is a real life cost to the team and it is generally negative for the young players.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I personally don't want NJ to trade everyone if the value isn't there.. I'd keep the UFA's if the offers are only 4-5th round picks

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'd assume unless Zajac is looking to hang them up, he gets re-signed by the Devils on the first day of free agency, with that being agreed upon from before Zajac is even approached with something concrete about the NTC.
He'd be one of the purest rentals ever.
Take a working vacation in Colorado Z.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yeah, Wood really should not be traded unless someone severely overpays.

Zajac has been tremendous the past 2-3 weeks after having a rough go of it right after he had Covid, but as has been mentioned I'm not sure he would waive. I know things are different when you are a free agent in a few months rather than in a year and a few months ala last year though, so who knows.

Wedgewood and/or Vatanen you can have for pretty much whatever

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Dumping everyone for things like 4th round picks is dumb at this point for NJ. But I expect Palmieri, Gusev, and Dell to not be Devils post deadline.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Dumping everyone for things like 4th round picks is dumb at this point for NJ. But I expect Palmieri, Gusev, and Dell to not be Devils post deadline.
Not necessarily. Depends on who goes.
Many of those fourth and thirds can be used to move up spots. Sometimes it can be good to have those.
If you have to fourths you can use one of them to move up a few spots in an earlier round to get the player you want.
Now who we are trading for those picks matters.
now these values are standard and comparable to previous years. This year who knows what values there will be.
We aren’t resigning Gusev and as shitty as he is he could bring in a third.
Vatanen-third as well.
Kulikov-3rd. But I’d rather sign him.
Zajac- thank you for your service and if you want to stay you are welcome to stay and if you want a chance at a cup we should be able to get a third for him with retention.
Palmeiri- I would like to re-sign him and I would not sell unless I get at least a first. Becuse of covid I think we have a great shot at signing him next year for cheaper than we previously thought.
Murray- no intention of wanting to sell him. Yeah he’s injury prone but is it worth trading him for a 3rd-4th which will be a “might make the NHL” player.
Wood-unless it’s an overpayment similar to Coleman.
Dell, wedge wood- I’ll take anything for Dell. As awkward as Wedgewood is I think he’s earned the right to compete for the backup position next year and not given away for a fifth. He deserves to finish with the team this year.
Subban- we don’t need to trade him but if we can get a decent pick or prospect with retained salary, why not? Although it is highly unlikely that a team is willing to give anything
Butcher- considering he has been a healthy scratch on a bottom team I don’t think he is going to bring much in aside from a fourth. Depending on who else is traded or if you have two teams competing for an offensive defenseman you might get a third. If other d are traded then it makes sense to keep him.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Not necessarily. Depends on who goes.
Many of those fourth and thirds can be used to move up spots. Sometimes it can be good to have those.
If you have to fourths you can use one of them to move up a few spots in an earlier round to get the player you want.
Now who we are trading for those picks matters.
now these values are standard and comparable to previous years. This year who knows what values there will be.
We aren’t resigning Gusev and as shitty as he is he could bring in a third.
Vatanen-third as well.
Kulikov-3rd. But I’d rather sign him.
Zajac- thank you for your service and if you want to stay you are welcome to stay and if you want a chance at a cup we should be able to get a third for him with retention.
Palmeiri- I would like to re-sign him and I would not sell unless I get at least a first. Becuse of covid I think we have a great shot at signing him next year for cheaper than we previously thought.
Murray- no intention of wanting to sell him. Yeah he’s injury prone but is it worth trading him for a 3rd-4th which will be a “might make the NHL” player.
Wood-unless it’s an overpayment similar to Coleman.
Dell, wedge wood- I’ll take anything for Dell. As awkward as Wedgewood is I think he’s earned the right to compete for the backup position next year and not given away for a fifth. He deserves to finish with the team this year.
Subban- we don’t need to trade him but if we can get a decent pick or prospect with retained salary, why not? Although it is highly unlikely that a team is willing to give anything
Butcher- considering he has been a healthy scratch on a bottom team I don’t think he is going to bring much in aside from a fourth. Depending on who else is traded or if you have two teams competing for an offensive defenseman you might get a third. If other d are traded then it makes sense to keep him.

I mostly don't want the team to be a complete shitshow post deadline, we're trying to develop guys like Hughes/Bratt/Smith and all the young guys that have emerged this year, I want them to be able to lean on vets unless the return is too good to pass up. Trading Murray / Kulikov / Zajac in particular for 4th rounders that will never make the NHL seems foolish at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Zajac- at 50% could probably be a 2nd, more likely a 3rd +5th but I doubt he gets moved as he has a NMC and doesnt want to be traded

Miles Wood- 1st + GOOD prospect, similar to the Coleman deal. Wood is a young player with term and team control. Selling him at fair value is dumb.

Vatanen- was bad at first but has improved since. maybe a 3rd? or a b prospect + 5th?

Wedgewood- dont think he should be moved. hes a very capable backup. Dell should be moved if anything and I think his value sits around a 5th

Palmieri- 1st +b prospect or A prospect +2nd. especially if retention is on the board. He has picked up his game recently. a 30g scorer for under 2.5m is something any team can afford so I expect a bidding war for him.

Kulikov- probably a 3rd, would rather keep him hes been good. nothing flashy but no mistakes made.

Murphy- 2nd, would rather keep him too but I have no clue what his future holds

My3Sons

Sponsor
I mostly don't want the team to be a complete shitshow post deadline, we're trying to develop guys like Hughes/Bratt/Smith and all the young guys that have emerged this year, I want them to be able to lean on vets unless the return is too good to pass up. Trading Murray / Kulikov / Zajac in particular for a 4th rounders that will never make the NHL seems foolish at this point.

Yes, it's time for NJ to try to develop some stability and maximize the young players they are developing. If they move on from Gusev and Vatanen I don't think any damage is done but beyond that I don't think just dumping players for mid round picks makes sense. I think the team has to start moving past that. They are getting good if uneven performances from a number of their younger players and if keeping a Zajac or a Palms allows that to flourish more they should go that route. Given the lack of cap space and lack of incentive for teams to go for it this season I'm not interested in trades for mid round picks. It will be here soon enough and we will see.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Yes, it's time for NJ to try to develop some stability and maximize the young players they are developing. If they move on from Gusev and Vatanen I don't think any damage is done but beyond that I don't think just dumping players for mid round picks makes sense. I think the team has to start moving past that. They are getting good if uneven performances from a number of their younger players and if keeping a Zajac or a Palms allows that to flourish more they should go that route. Given the lack of cap space and lack of incentive for teams to go for it this season I'm not interested in trades for mid round picks. It will be here soon enough and we will see.
gotta remember our mid round pick scouting has been stellar recently.

Bratt- 6th round pick
Maltsev- 4th round pick
Sharangovich- 5th round pick

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
agreed but I think with the Canadian quarantine being reduced to 1 wk now it changes things. I think Zajac and Palms are getting production in time for the Lou Lams of the world and returns could be better.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I mostly don't want the team to be a complete shitshow post deadline, we're trying to develop guys like Hughes/Bratt/Smith and all the young guys that have emerged this year, I want them to be able to lean on vets unless the return is too good to pass up. Trading Murray / Kulikov / Zajac in particular for a 4th rounders that will never make the NHL seems foolish at this point.
I kind of agree. I want to keep Murray and Kulikov at that point if that’s what we are getting. Zajac has earned the opportunity to be traded for a fourth if he wants to leave for a cup. Trading Vatanen and Gusev for 3rd and 4ths makes sense. If that fourth can move us up say 5-6 spots with the Isles second to get a player we want it could very well be worth it. I was just addressing your post on having too many fourth rounders and that they could be used to move up in the draft.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I kind of agree. I want to keep Murray and Kulikov at that point if that’s what we are getting. Zajac has earned the opportunity to be traded for a fourth if he wants to leave for a cup. Trading Vatanen and Gusev for 3rd and 4ths makes sense. If that fourth can move us up say 5-6 spots with the Isles second to get a player we want it could very well be worth it. I was just addressing your post on having too many fourth rounders and that they could be used to move up in the draft.

Zajac used his NTC last deadline to veto a trade, I think he wants to stay, and his line with Kuokkanen and Sharangovich is the best even strength line in NJ right now. I think he's gonna remain in NJ regardless.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Zajac used his NTC last deadline to veto a trade, I think he wants to stay, and his line with Kuokkanen and Sharangovich is the best even strength line in NJ right now. I think he's gonna remain in NJ regardless.
Not the greatest commute but it’s quite possible he could say I will only accept a trade to the Island. If you’re in the road it is no different on the island as it is with the devils. If you are at home. You commute some days and hotel occasionally

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

My3Sons

Sponsor
gotta remember our mid round pick scouting has been stellar recently.

Bratt- 6th round pick
Maltsev- 4th round pick
Sharangovich- 5th round pick

Agreed, but you also have young players currently on the team that are worth investing in. I'd like to see their development take priority and give them a more upbeat locker room heading into next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad